Final Fantasy General Discussion Thread

Gers

Forum Sage
Jul 19, 2012
Scotland
After reading the Resident Evil thread got me thinking which Final Fantasy is most popular.

My personal favourite has to be Final Fantasy 7. Never played an RPG before that game and instantly fell in love with the series and genre.

FF7 had two of my favourite characters ever in Cloud and Sephiroth. Had a great story, lots of side quests and characters.

Which is everyone else's favourite FF game?

PSN ID: gersfc

Last edited by a moderator:

Gers

Forum Sage
Jul 19, 2012
Scotland
[QUOTE="Dave-The-Rave, post: 5866718]I would consider I-VI to be classics. Anyway, VII is my overall favorite and VI is my favorite classic.[/QUOTE]

What i meant by classic final fantasy was FF games released or re-released on ps-one, ps2 or psp after all that is the name of the sub-forum we are in.

Maybe i should have re-phrased the topic or made myself clearer, sorry

FF VI is a great game played the ps1 version. Thought it had a great story, also had a lot of espers to get which i liked

Last edited:

Thorzilla

Elite Sage
Feb 4, 2006
[QUOTE="RaY_210, post: 5866874]Why not?[/QUOTE]

I don't know, I think I don't want to feel old. :lol:
It's my all time favorite FF though.

RaY_210

Forum Elder
Jan 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
[QUOTE="Thorzilla, post: 5866884]I don't know, I think I don't want to feel old. :lol:
It's my all time favorite FF though.[/QUOTE]

Lol oh alright. Thought you were saying it sucked, and that's why it can't be considered lol.

Gers

Forum Sage
Jul 19, 2012
Scotland
[QUOTE="RaY_210, post: 5866800]Even with VII included, mine's still VI.[/QUOTE]

What was it about VI that makes it your favourite?

RaY_210

Forum Elder
Jan 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
[QUOTE="Gersfc, post: 5866963]What was it about VI that makes it your favourite?

PSN ID: gersfc[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I can pinpoint something. But I love everything about it. It's an amazing story, I love the Esper/magic system, awesome soundtrack and characters. Pretty much whatever you can say about VII, you can say about VI. They are my two favorites, but VI is just above it.

Kuro

Elite Sage
Jan 30, 2012
Ore no Sekai
So far, Square Enix has not said if they will release Final Fantasy III for PSP in North America or Europe. The Japanese version is import friendly since it has English text built in.
Famitsu explains if your PSP’s language setting is English, Final Fantasy III will have English text. Square Enix also released Final Fantasy I, II, and Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection with Japanese/English language options.
Final Fantasy III comes out on September 20 with an option to play the game with the original Famicom soundtrack and an auto-battle feature.
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/07/17/final-fantasy-iii-for-psp-has-a-built-in-english-text-option/

Gers

Forum Sage
Jul 19, 2012
Scotland
[QUOTE="RaY_210, post: 5867058]I don't know if I can pinpoint something. But I love everything about it. It's an amazing story, I love the Esper/magic system, awesome soundtrack and characters. Pretty much whatever you can say about VII, you can say about VI. They are my two favorites, but VI is just above it.[/QUOTE]

I did like VI myself and your right everything about VII u can say about VI. The only thing i can put down is the graphics. Being a guy who grew up when the ps1 first came out i found i had to 'deal' with the graphics.

That aside i would probably say VI has a better story than VII. Your post has tempted me to throw FF VI into the ps3 and complete it again lol

RaY_210

Forum Elder
Jan 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
[QUOTE="Gersfc, post: 5867080]I did like VI myself and your right everything about VII u can say about VI. The only thing i can put down is the graphics. Being a guy who grew up when the ps1 first came out i found i had to 'deal' with the graphics.

That aside i would probably say VI has a better story than VII. Your post has tempted me to throw FF VI into the ps3 and complete it again lol

PSN ID: gersfc[/QUOTE]

Lol yeah. But having been gaming since the NES, and having loads of fun with the Wii, I can say that graphics are nothing to me. Yes it looks awesome when graphics are top notch, but really, I really do have the gameplay over graphics mentality. Lol

Gers

Forum Sage
Jul 19, 2012
Scotland
[QUOTE="RaY_210, post: 5867086]Lol yeah. But having been gaming since the NES, and having loads of fun with the Wii, I can say that graphics are nothing to me. Yes it looks awesome when graphics are top notch, but really, I really do have the gameplay over graphics mentality. Lol[/QUOTE]

On the whole i do prefer gameplay over graphics, i can still play ff vii no bother at all even though it has dated. But i do struggle with 8 and 16 bit versions of Final Fantasy lol

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
If classic is barring anything from VII onward, then it's a tough race still. I guess I would give it to VI, but IV and V are so good too. There were no losers in the classic FF games.

Edit: As for ps1 era, favorite is easily VII, but IX was a great tribute to the older games and personally enjoyed it a lot.

Last edited:

Gers

Forum Sage
Jul 19, 2012
Scotland
The reason I started this thread as I love this game however whenever I ask what people's favourite Final Fantasy game is this is never mentioned.

Personally I like the story, and the character Squall. I thought Squall was an interesting and complex character and made me want to play more to develop the story. Their was also the Triple Triad card game which was a great distraction from the main story. All in all i rate this as my second favourite FF game.

What is everyone else's opinions?

Gers

Forum Sage
Jul 19, 2012
Scotland
[QUOTE="DarkVincent07, post: 5867597]Ah! Thanks for reminding me, I bought this last year and still haven't had the chance to play it yet ><[/QUOTE]

Get it played! Lol you won't be disappointed

Gers

Forum Sage
Jul 19, 2012
Scotland
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 5867693]I thought FF8 was one of the worst FFs, I just hated the changed made to the battle system. Not played 9 yet so I dont know how that one is.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you to a point about the battle system. I thought having to draw magic sucked big time. FF 9 sort of went back to its roots, you should give it a try

RaY_210

Forum Elder
Jan 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
This another great entry. Although this is my least fav of the PS1 series, it is far from bad. I didn't mind drawing for magic. It just added a different strategy on whether you wanted to stock up and risk death. And I loved the card game! This and blitzball are my favorite side games from the series!

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I could not get in to Final Fantasy VIII. I think for me it was because I was just too attached to the characters from VII. It just didn't feel right to me playing VIII. Plus everything changed. The materia system changed. And I hated those stupid ass cards you had to collect. I still can't play that damn card game!!!

Fon

Master Guru
Oct 5, 2009
@Home
It certainly has a very appealing theme. Characters are diverse and great(Especially, Laguna!). A few things I didn't like was the Draw system and everything past Disk 3.