Final Fantasy General Discussion Thread

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
FFVII is the greatest RPG ever conceived. Ok we're finished here.

Mods please close and del thread.

/thread

Gers

Forum Sage
Jul 19, 2012
Scotland
[QUOTE="Ghost-Rhayne, post: 5870657]FFVII is the greatest RPG ever conceived [/QUOTE]

I agree with that statement whole-heartedly........ other people might have different opinions though

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
Some aspects may be overhyped but I can't really compare it to other games of its time since I played it 5 years after it came out... Wasn't massive into ps1 games only played them casually, it is sill an amazing game, one of my favourites

Via Tapatalk :)

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
It was good but def not the best ff. FF6 is the best. The characters and story blow 7 away. 7 was many peoples first try in the series and that's why they liked it and compare it to others. 7 was dumbed down compared to rest and Sephiroth was just a whiny mamas boy. But omg he has a big sword so awesome lol.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
It's a great game with a lot of charm and atmosphere, a mysterious story, fleshed out characters, a streamlined Materia system, and a soundtrack that includes some very memorable songs.

However, I do think it's slightly overrated. But if it's 1997 and it's the first RPG you've experienced, it definitely has more than enough magic to be very important to people.

The reason I feel it's slightly overrated is because I feel FFX surpassed FFVII and should be considered the quintessential Final Fantasy game. But FFX was my first Final Fantasy, so I'm biased.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 5871133]It's a great game with a lot of charm and atmosphere, a mysterious story, fleshed out characters, a streamlined Materia system, and a soundtrack that includes some very memorable songs.

However, I do think it's slightly overrated. But if it's 1997 and it's the first RPG you've experienced, it definitely has more than enough magic to be very important to people.

The reason I feel it's slightly overrated is because I feel FFX surpassed FFVII and should be considered the quintessential Final Fantasy game. But FFX was my first Final Fantasy, so I'm biased.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much this - except my favorite title is Final Fantasy IX.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
I just recently finished it a couple months ago and it still withholds the test of time very well. It is extremely fun. Is it over hyped, imo yes. But at the time it came out I can see why so many people herald it as one of the greatest games of all time. For that time it was a marvel for sure!

AaronSOLDIER

Ultimate Veteran
Apr 5, 2007
forums.final7fantasy.com
In my opinion, it is the greatest and wouldn't say it was as overrated as a lot think. What a lot of people seem to overlook is that back in 97, it was way ahead of a lot of games, basically like what Neon Genesis' Evangelion did for anime back in 1995 was ahead of most if not every other anime, and is regarded by most who watched anime back then up until now the greatest anime of all time, and its the same with VII, if you had actually played FFVII back when it was released, it wouldve blown you away too, which is why a lot of people who played VIII+ before VII, don't really get that wow factor.

IMO the only FF that comes close to VII (and for a lot of people, surpasses it), is VI, and that's because VI and VII are very similar, VII had a much better story IMO though as well as the overall cast (even though both games had characters I disliked).

Just throwing it out there too, V is the most underrated FF out of the entire series, it has to this day the best battle systems out of the lot.

Gers

Forum Sage
Jul 19, 2012
Scotland
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 5871133]It's a great game with a lot of charm and atmosphere, a mysterious story, fleshed out characters, a streamlined Materia system, and a soundtrack that includes some very memorable songs.

The reason I feel it's slightly overrated is because I feel FFX surpassed FFVII and should be considered the quintessential Final Fantasy game. But FFX was my first Final Fantasy, so I'm biased.[/QUOTE]

I can see why you think that about FFX. When I played through for the first time I honestly thought that it could be the game that tops FFVII. But the story got a little weak near the end for me, and the lack of a proper world map really was a let down.

Still a great, great game and cant wait for FFX HD!

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="AaronSOLDIER, post: 5871213]In my opinion, it is the greatest and wouldn't say it was as overrated as a lot think. What a lot of people seem to overlook is that back in 97, it was way ahead of a lot of games, basically like what Neon Genesis' Evangelion did for anime back in 1995 was ahead of most if not every other anime, and is regarded by most who watched anime back then up until now the greatest anime of all time, and its the same with VII, if you had actually played FFVII back when it was released, it wouldve blown you away too, which is why a lot of people who played VIII+ before VII, don't really get that wow factor.

IMO the only FF that comes close to VII (and for a lot of people, surpasses it), is VI, and that's because VI and VII are very similar, VII had a much better story IMO though as well as the overall cast (even though both games had characters I disliked).

Just throwing it out there too, V is the most underrated FF out of the entire series, it has to this day the best battle systems out of the lot.[/QUOTE]

I've never played it but I know people who have and they put it right up there next to VII as their favorite FF.

Gers

Forum Sage
Jul 19, 2012
Scotland
[QUOTE="zzKurozz, post: 5871127]Lol I'm honestly not Mad :lol:[/QUOTE]

I know u ain't dude. I just need to come up with some new material :p lol

Gers

Forum Sage
Jul 19, 2012
Scotland
Update on my FFVIII gameplay (for anyone who's interested, and if not i don't care i am telling ya anyway lol)

Just beat body double of President Deling in Timber. Did a lot of grinding before I did the mission. After beating Diablos, I fought until I got the Mug ability which is 200 AP.

Really getting back in to this game!

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Official artwork for Tidus and Yuna after the events X-2:

Yeah this is from the after story and I wouldn't mind if they did another FFX sequel game if it was closer to FFX and Kitase direct it rather than Toriyama and not make it like FFX-2(which battle system was good but the other aspects they ruined compared to FFX) but wasn't a fan of the after story which you can read online.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Out of all the FF's I personally liked FFIV the most. Played a bit of VI which I liked a lot and really enjoyed FFX as well as Tactics. Enjoyed FFXI when I played a bit online but got sick of it and played the beta of FFXIV which I liked. Liked FFVII in ways but personally find it overhyped.
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/1...opers-possibilities-ps4-port-offline-version/

A online FFXI was fun wish there were ways for people experiencing it offline and FFXII just felt like a offline FFXI except in the Ivalice Alliance universe but the lore of FFXI and FFXIV were more interesting than FFXII
Didn't know you could read it online. I'll have to check it out, just out of curiosity.
Yes here's the story of the audio drama

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_X_-Will-

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Considering some major Square Enix titles are releasing between the end of this year and early 2019 (namely Dragon Quest XI and Kingdom Hearts III), do you think we'll see Final Fantasy XVI announced next year, or do you think they're intentionally holding off announcing the next mainline title until Final Fantasy VII Remake is released?

I'm also not certain about which Business Division within Square Enix is likely to be leading development on Final Fantasy XVI but I'm hoping whoever is involved reintroduces the franchise to a traditional, medieval fantasy setting.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
Considering some major Square Enix titles are releasing between the end of this year and early 2019 (namely Dragon Quest XI and Kingdom Hearts III), do you think we'll see Final Fantasy XVI announced next year, or do you think they're intentionally holding off announcing the next mainline title until Final Fantasy VII Remake is released?

I'm also not certain about which Business Division within Square Enix is likely to be leading development on Final Fantasy XVI but I'm hoping whoever is involved reintroduces the franchise to a traditional, medieval fantasy setting.
If they announce FFXVI before FFVII:Remake is even out, then they have already made a mistake in my eyes. They need to stop announcing games when they are not going to be ready for like 5+ years.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
I love the FF series for the simple reason that they're games you can sink a ton of your time into and immerse yourself. That being said, not all FF games are created equal.

The very first FF game has some great ideas but for me personally, Ultima IV on NES did things slightly better. The first one to really pull me in was FF IV. The story and characters really made me feel like I wanted to progress to find out what happens next. FF VI, VII, IX, X, and XIII all did the same for me. I can't say the same for the others. I still haven't played FF XV but I plan on buying it soon.

I'm looking forward to KH3 because I grew up on the original 2 for PS2 and this one is long overdue.