Final Fantasy XIII questions

zeon9881

Forum Elder
Jul 7, 2007
So I'm currently playing FFVII and I was just wondering a few things about FFXIII

-Is this a open world game like FFVII where you can do anything or is this one of those games where you go from point A to Point B
-Is the game longer than 30 hours. I mean ive only played FFVII for 15 hours and im barly passed the beginning
-Can you customize lightenings weapon?
-What do I get for preordering at ebgames?

Jun 14, 2009
[QUOTE="zeon9881, post: 0]-Is this a open world game like FFVII where you can do anything or is this one of those games where you go from point A to Point B[/quote]
FFXIII dictates the pace for you. So, for the majority of the game, it's basically go though a straight line, fight and get story. That's it. You cannot stray until the later parts of the game. At that point, you get to do hunts basically. Nothing else.
-Is the game longer than 30 hours. I mean ive only played FFVII for 15 hours and im barly passed the beginning
I think for the casual gamer, it'll take around 40 or so hours to complete. I'm not sure how far you are on FFVII, but you can't just doss around in FFXIII in the beginning. Even then however, it's still a lengthy adventure. Nothing crazy of course, but that's fine I think. You can't waste time like you can in other FF games.
-Can you customize lightenings weapon?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you mean like how they have Materia in FFVII, then no. FFXIII is very different from that and follows similar principles to the Sphere Grid in FFX.
-What do I get for preordering at ebgames?
I don't think there's any pre-order bonuses for the PS3 version (I assume you're playing FFVII on the PSN).

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
I'm not sure what EB offers for pre-order, but Amazon offers a $10 credit to a future game purchase with pre-order.

Get a $10 Video Games Credit
Order Final Fantasy XIII and get $10 off a future video game purchase. The promotional code will be placed directly into your Amazon.com account within 2 business days after the product ships. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Promotion valid on all existing orders. Limit one per household. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time.
Since you mentioned EB games and not gamestop... going to assume Canadian? Amazon has the game for $59.99 while Eb has it for $69.99.

Aizen-Sama

Master Poster
Jan 16, 2009
[QUOTE="zeon9881, post: 0]So I'm currently playing FFVII and I was just wondering a few things about FFXIII

1. Is this a open world game like FFVII where you can do anything or is this one of those games where you go from point A to Point B

2. Is the game longer than 30 hours. I mean ive only played FFVII for 15 hours and im barly passed the beginning

3. Can you customize lightenings weapon?

4. What do I get for preordering at ebgames?[/quote]

1. It's a point A-B game with the occasional optional/open path. FFVII wasn't really open world but it had a worldmap. FFXIII doesn't have a worldmap but later on the game there is a much much bigger open location.

2. Story is around 40-50 hours long, extras take around 30-50 hours but it all depends on your own pacing really.

3. Yeah you can customize weapons and accessories by adding materials to it and then merging them together to form new weapons. Actual character growth is done through the crystallim grid which is kinda similar to the Sphere grid from FF10 except that each job class has it's own separate grid and it's up to you which one you level up.

4. Not sure about that. I do recommend you get the limited edition hardback guide from Amazon tho. It comes with exclusive artwork and is just a great collectors item and is fun to read outside of the game.

kuku

Veteran
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="Aizen-Sama, post: 0]1. It's a point A-B game with the occasional optional/open path. FFVII wasn't really open world but it had a worldmap. FFXIII doesn't have a worldmap but later on the game there is a much much bigger open location.
[/quote]

More or less in the form of platform like puzzles(though it can't be called puzzles as it's rather of the simple breed). to reveal a hidden path or get around a special monster, etc.

A majority of the time it's to avoid enemy encounter since they are not avoidable under normal means.That's about it for pathing.

Feb 15, 2010
[QUOTE="The Batman, post: 0]FFXIII dictates the pace for you. [/quote]

:sad: FFXIII dictates every little thing you do.