Firefox Browser Problem

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
For the last two weeks Firefox has been acting strange for me. It at times want to run slow and sluggish and now, for instance when I'm on eBay it won't allow me to view pictures or click on "Add to watch list". Like I'll see the initial picture, but if the seller has multiple pics I can't click and view the other ones. And I can't click on save seller or anything. I checked my "Add-ons" for Firefox, but everything seems to be activated that I could activate.

I even tried to uninstall it, but even after I did that I can tell it didn't completely go away from my system as all my bookmarks and things were exactly as if I never uninstalled the program from my PC. Anyone wanna take a stab on what might have happened and how I can rectify this situation? Or at least explain how to completely uninstall it so I can try and re-download it again? Thanks for the help pimps!

Sep 3, 2013
Assuming windows 7: delete C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\gibberish.default to get rid of add-ons, bookmarks, settings etc.

I'd also try out ccleaner to get rid of registry stupidness gone wrong. Scan registry more than once.

You should probably do a malware scan with malwarebytes, spybot or similar if you haven't already.

Can't think of anything else to suggest.

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
Firefox is known for being a resource hog. Switch to Google Chrome would be your best option.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="MacP, post: 6455887]Firefox is known for being a resource hog. Switch to Google Chrome would be your best option.[/QUOTE]

I agree with MacP. Firefox was once a great browser, but Chrome takes the cake.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Chrome has its issues, but it's much lighter than Firefox. I used to love Firefox, but it's becoming a bloated cow. It doesn't have that zippy feel anymore. My favorite Firefox glitch, which happens in both OS X and Windows, is the cursor will randomly disappear. -twitch-

The biggest issue with Chrome is its God-awful bookmarks management. :/ And when I thought it couldn't get any worse they made a new bookmarks manager ... and to my surprise ... is the worst thing ever conceived by mankind

So each browser has its pros and cons.

Edit: Wow, I think I'm done with Chrome:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.c...s-the-importance-of-privacy-defense-in-depth/

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2015
I suggest you switch to Google Chrome to use. Or you can use some software to completely uninstall the Firefox and reinstall it again. If the trouble still exist, try to download older version of Mozilla Firefox and install to see if there is any errors.

I think most errors happens when the uninstall progress has been corrupted and there are some part of it on registry.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="BBK.., post: 6456426]Tor Browser for life. Because I like to hide my tracks.

*Chrome User*[/QUOTE]
Tor browser... so... freakin... slow... although I can see the attraction.

I cba with all that hiding business. My ISP knows lot's of things about me that others don't but really I couldn't give a dam. I'm no terrorist or whatever so let them read my shizzle.

I have gone back and forth with different browsers over the years and keep coming back to Firefox, both on my PC and mobile. Chrome keeps loading adverts in tabs for me at random which is annoying and I just don't like IE, more as a habit than any technical issue.

Firefox also has a lot of add-ons available which tweak it just the way you like it.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
Yeah I don't actually use Tor. I installed it then realised I'm not doing anything illegal so if my ISP really wants to see my mundane browsing habits they're more than welcome to.

I was an avid FF user for many years but I've been a Chrome user for the last 4 or 5 years now and wouldn't go back. It works perfectly for me. Has a nice plug in which allows web browsing to happen at 144Hz so scrolling is super smooth. No doubt FireFox has that too.

The main reason I like it is because I use Chrome on my desktop/laptop/iPhone/iPad so it's nice being able to have my bookmarks across all devices and also pick up where I've left off. That for me is what sealed the deal

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="BBK.., post: 6456431]Has a nice plug in which allows web browsing to happen at 144Hz so scrolling is super smooth. No doubt FireFox has that too. [/QUOTE]
What is this sorcery? Sounds interesting. Jerky scrolling pages do annoy me, feels like the browser is stuttering. What's the plug-in mate?

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Chrome is the most incompatible of all the browsers, it just doesn't work on some pages that are really wanting to do something beyond let you read text. Almost all my tech issues at work with browsers involve telling the user to just stop using it. Its light and fast,. but the most insecure of the browsers. Ironic given people on here suggesting it gives them anonymity.

[QUOTE="$Greatness$, post: 6442924]For the last two weeks Firefox has been acting strange for me. It at times want to run slow and sluggish and now, for instance when I'm on eBay it won't allow me to view pictures or click on "Add to watch list". Like I'll see the initial picture, but if the seller has multiple pics I can't click and view the other ones. And I can't click on save seller or anything. I checked my "Add-ons" for Firefox, but everything seems to be activated that I could activate.

I even tried to uninstall it, but even after I did that I can tell it didn't completely go away from my system as all my bookmarks and things were exactly as if I never uninstalled the program from my PC. Anyone wanna take a stab on what might have happened and how I can rectify this situation? Or at least explain how to completely uninstall it so I can try and re-download it again? Thanks for the help pimps![/QUOTE]

On topic.

Go into menu, select add on's.

Disable the lower of the two versions of anything.
Eg, if you have two versions of shockwave, choose the lower version number and choose "never active".

My guess is shockwave. It does this.

Last edited:

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="BBK.., post: 6456426]Tor Browser for life. Because I like to hide my tracks.[/QUOTE]
Tor browser is a slow piece of shit. Just get a VPN (I recommend NordVPN) if you want to hide your tracks.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
I tried to like Tor ... I really did ... but it was like giving me memories of what dial-up internet used to be like. :p

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="robvandam111, post: 6461418]I read few days ago that FireFoX isn't going to support Adobe Flash. Get Internet Explorer....:)[/QUOTE]

You read incorrectly.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
[QUOTE="robvandam111, post: 6461418]I read few days ago that FireFoX isn't going to support Adobe Flash. Get Internet Explorer....:)[/QUOTE]
Well, they found some security issues with that flash version and the users was able to choose if they wanted to use it or not. Now there's a new version of flash out and hopefully the security issues has been solved.

Wouldn't touch IE with a ten foot pole. ;)