Firmware 1.61

LM-93

Elite Member
Aug 27, 2008
Cleethorpes
Just a quick heads up for anyone intending on playing today, firmware update 1.61 rolled out about an hour ago. So download it to save waiting around.
It's not a big one, only 336mb.
Just minor fixes, back end stuff according to google :)

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Anytime an update goes up .01, it usually means it is a quick fix something found in the previous firmware.

Mar 11, 2006
Sony has said there is a big firmware update planned after the Japan launch. They probably want to push out stability patches to the already launched countries so all the hardware will be standardized and stable before issuing a major update.

mini E

Superior Member
May 7, 2006
USA
[QUOTE="Bligmerk, post: 6304418]Sony has said there is a big firmware update planned after the Japan launch. They probably want to push out stability patches to the already launched countries so all the hardware will be standardized and stable before issuing a major update.[/QUOTE]

Intriguing. Makes sense. Do you have a source on that?

Monte666

Apprentice
Apr 10, 2012
Swear to god my controller is screwy since this update. Trying to play nba 2k14 and it keeps doing a spin move instead of shooting with the analog stock

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Mar 11, 2006
[QUOTE="mini E, post: 6304428]Intriguing. Makes sense. Do you have a source on that?[/QUOTE]

Yoshida-san said this last year:
“The biggest surprise for us all internally at Sony was there are so many people who passionately reacted to our announcement that there’s no MP3 support or CD support on day one,” he said. “It’s not like we actively decided ‘let’s not do this feature so people will have to subscribe to Music Unlimited.

“The focus has been more on the game features. Some of the features we wanted but we couldn’t get in on day one. We didn’t really think about MP3 or CD. We thought ‘we’re going to do that eventually.’… It caught us off-guard.

“People don’t really talk about these features, right? Some people get really mad and [say] ‘I’ll cancel my pre-order!’ So as we speak, people in Japan – the system guys – are discussing when we can put these features in.”
It hasn't happened yet and the Japan launch is this weekend. By default, any more firmware updates will be after the Japan launch, so that means any major update. Just Sony being careful, putting out stability updates until then, and start adding back the features the PS3 already has. Like Yoshida-san said, they have been totally focused on the game features and didn't realize the multimedia was going to be so important. He did say "just like the rest of the Sony products". The PDM is obviously just a basic framework, so there is going to be a major firmware update not long after the Japan launch.

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
[QUOTE="Bligmerk, post: 6304591]Yoshida-san said this last year:

It hasn't happened yet and the Japan launch is this weekend. By default, any more firmware updates will be after the Japan launch, so that means any major update. Just Sony being careful, putting out stability updates until then, and start adding back the features the PS3 already has. Like Yoshida-san said, they have been totally focused on the game features and didn't realize the multimedia was going to be so important. He did say "just like the rest of the Sony products". The PDM is obviously just a basic framework, so there is going to be a major firmware update not long after the Japan launch.[/QUOTE]
The CD how can you miss that out the best music source that beats computer compression audio?

Nov 6, 2005
NA
[QUOTE="MacP, post: 6304611]The CD how can you miss that out the best music source that beats computer compression audio?[/QUOTE]

I thought CD was never a part of the equation. I truly do not think many people still use CDs but I may be wrong. I myself have switched completely over to digital music. To me it just makes it easier to control all my content from my computer; CDs do not offer that for me. I am starting to wish movies were this simple, but they are too massive to manage depending on the format.

rene2kx

Dedicated Member
Jan 23, 2011
CD's still are great if you are a quality seeker in your music. Digital music sounds quite good but i find hearing the same song on cd to have a more open, wider sound field.