Firmware 2.7 has been posted on the playstation blog!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nas2344

Superior Member
Feb 21, 2008
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/04/01/ps3-firmware-v270-update/

Hi everyone, we’re adding some great new features with the next PS3 firmware update (v2.70) that will continue to enhance your connected experience on the PS3. The 2.70 update brings a new Text Chat feature that enables you to communicate online with your PlayStation Network friends. Now, you’ll be able to chat with up to 15 online friends using the Wireless Keypad, on-screen keyboard, or other compatible keyboard peripherals. Not only can you chat with your friends instantly, but you can also access Text Chat while playing PS3 games and even participate in up to three chat rooms at once.
In addition to Text Chat, we’ve added a few more enhancements:
Friends list on the XMB (XrossMediaBar)

• Sort your friends via their online status
  • Attach larger files to the messages you send to your friends (file size will increase from 1MB to 3MB)
Video delivery service on PlayStation Store

• Video files you’ve purchased from the PlayStation Store can be backed up to an external storage device and then restored to PS3’s internal hard drive for playback – so you can clear up space on your hard drive and then restore the video anytime in the future
  • Videos you’ve purchased for PSP (PlayStation Portable) system can now be transferred to PS3 for playback

SonyJunkie

Gaming Guru
May 14, 2006
Cool. I might use the chat room thing. Would make things easier when talking to one of my friends instead of sending one message at a time. I don't know how talking to more than one person would work and why it would be used. If anyone has any ideas, please tell me.

Feb 2, 2009
we are getting closer to the cross game chat, but i just really want voice messaging, it takes too long to try and type things out in a message...but ill take what i can get

volcom15

Superior Member
May 1, 2008
YES!! Finally now we can end the rumors and start the complaining lol
lets wait in hour or two thats when they say "APRIL FOOLS"!!

Jan 8, 2008
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 0]is the info in the blog the only features being added with the 2.70 update?[/quote]

I was wondering the same because the list is pretty poor!

It says we can now sort psn friends by thier online status, cant we already do that?

EDIT: Nvm i just watched the video!

YoungMullah88

PSU Live Streamer
Sep 15, 2006
Charlotte
www.playfire.com
am starting to believe that sony cannot use cross game chat, because there is no reason why it shouldnt have been included in this update. maybe MS did patent the feature, anyways i know ill use that chat thing, i like how they went over board with 15 ppl instead of 8

[valium]

lawlydoodlez
Jun 12, 2008
i really dont see a point in the new chat feature, its the same as sending messages pretty much, and "meeting up to join friends in a game" isnt very good either. you still have to go through all of the rigamarole to try and join your friend before their game is full.

xsjinsx

Apprentice
Jun 16, 2008
The new audio chat feature is great! I'm excited for this firmware update although I thought originally a speed increase was going to be implemented on the in-game xmb. :confused:

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
It's an improvement, but I want cross-game voice chat.

I want to talk to a friend while playing, not press the PS button every time and type a message.

Solbadguy

Apprentice
Jan 21, 2007
One step closer on getting cross game voice messaging/chat. Text chat is a good step in the right direction. I'm happy with it until cross voice chat arrives.

Mana Knight

Elite Member
Dec 22, 2006
Maryland, USA
[QUOTE="YoungMullah88, post: 0]am starting to believe that sony cannot use cross game chat, because there is no reason why it shouldnt have been included in this update. maybe MS did patent the feature, anyways i know ill use that chat thing, i like how they went over board with 15 ppl instead of 8[/quote]I wouldn't be surprised if MS did. I know for sure MS patented in-game music where the OS replaces the music (which is why Sony had to do it differently). I wouldn't be surprised the lack of voicechat has to do with two things:
-Still uses up too much memory to add.
-Networking issues with it still and transmitting voice back and forth. Also, some games have voice chat. What will happen when you play a game with voicechat??

ONQ

Master Guru
Jun 30, 2006
am I the only one that still get the feeling that this could be sony's april fool's day prank and there is something else in the update?

Spider

Elite Sage
Jul 16, 2008
no voice chat
and no trophy/friend updates

dissapointing...

but still a download worthy update

the chat room thing might be good, specially with a keyboard

Dec 29, 2008
Nice update, but it would be a lot nicer to have voice messaging as well. It's so cumbersome to type with the DS3. I'd rather have voice messaging to quickly send voice messages rather than typing it up.

FailedEXE

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2008
Kind of like the Photo gallery application. Who actually uses it?

They must really be saving the big guns for Firmware 3.0, or at least during E3.

Apr 25, 2007
Eugene, OR
[valium];4051441 said:
i really dont see a point in the new chat feature, its the same as sending messages pretty much, and "meeting up to join friends in a game" isnt very good either. you still have to go through all of the rigamarole to try and join your friend before their game is full.
thats what i said on the blog, with voice chat you would be able to talk to your friends while playing the game and maintain communication after you quit, with text chat you still have to pause the game to talk, which is what we had to do before

Saix7

Superior Member
May 5, 2007
All these updates.... I would still like to see some in-game music for every game you know... That's the thing I like the most about 360... Any game with nice sounds...

[valium]

lawlydoodlez
Jun 12, 2008
[QUOTE="PhillyPhreak, post: 0]They did? I see a lame text chat feature but no voice chat.[/quote]

there is audio, i watched the video and the guy showed everything.
when you choose a friend, hit triangle and it will give you the option to text chat or voice chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.