First long-ish experience?

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
I love the PSVR, but I want to see some LONG games. Maybe a 3rd person (a la bot rescue) Cutesy RPG or something, so it doesn't have to be an expensive game, just long and varied enough to get some time in the game. So far, the longest experience on it is Here They Lie at ~3 hours, unless you're really into multiplayer (Rigs) or REALLY dig deep to find mysteries (Batman, and even then I doubt the bonus content is more than 2 hours, and I played through Here They Lie twice, so it's not like I didn't get replay out of that one)

I was really hoping for more story based experiences, too, but the reviews on Loading Human and the Assembly aren't very good... If Firewatch wasn't so poorly optimized that VR was an impossibility, I'd totally play that one again in VR... I was also hoping to see Among the Sleep in VR, and bought it for that reason before finding out they were planning on releasing a separate VR game...

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I am sure developers want to see how well the device sells before investing a lot of money and time in to developing a full title. For me, VR is great as a short spurt gaming session. I am not sure I would want to play it for more than 1hr at a time.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
I played the first 2/3 of "Here They Lie" all at once. I may have even done my second playthrough in one go. I love being lost in that VR world, at least when it's something interesting to get lost in.

I also like full console experiences on the go, but many people, maddeningly, make the argument "portable games should be experiences you can't get on Consoles!" which is absurd. They want an excuse to play their portable instead of their console, but I actually like the idea of pick up an go, which is why I love remote play on Vita / PS4. I wonder if it's the same with VR... I may be in a minority that wants these long(ish, let's say 7 or 8 hours), involved VR experiences while most people want short distractions.

Last edited:

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
VR does affect me and does prevent me from playing hours at a time, but we will see some long games. Resident Evil 7 being a good example of a longer game that will come soon. If that runs and plays well in the full version, there might be more developers that could see the benefit and give it a try.

I believe the issue is many games are not going to be able to cater to limitations and playstyles for VR, so it will be difficult to see full length story driven games unless it already is a slower first person game or made specifically for VR. I bet if PSVR sells well, more developers would take that risk. I would welcome them as well.

ArnoldRimmer

Superior Member
May 23, 2015
On Red Dwarf....
VR lends itself brilliantly to flying / diving type games (bring on Ace Combat and GT Sport) but I agree with Sir_Scud, some things don't work. Tried the tomb raider blood ties in free mode, almost instant nausea!