FirstPlay - What do you think?

Carl

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 26, 2006
Well the UK today got our own version of Qore, so i was just wondering what everyone thought of it really.

Thoughts on the content, humour, general navigation, overall happiness?

Carl

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 26, 2006
[QUOTE="scottscorpion, post: 0]i think they have a cheek asking people to pay for it...it should be free[/quote]

Even though people work hard to write the reviews, and those people need paying?

Jan 5, 2008
Scotland
www.youtube.com
[QUOTE="Carl, post: 0]Even though people work hard to write the reviews, and those people need paying?[/quote]

people reviewing games is a form of advertising imo(if the reviews are favourable anyway),
from what i can see it just a collection of reviews and videos etc made to advertise products...i dont see point in paying for an advert.
this should be free to download and shown in home on big screen, if i like the reviews/videos i might be compelled to purchase the product, therefore the company who own the product i purchase could pay the reviewer.
and tbh i never trust reviews anyway, id rather play the demo or hear peoples views on here

Copyright

Elite Guru
Feb 19, 2007
Haven't got it, content doesn't seem as good as Qore. I mean, a free theme and a parachute in Just Cause 2? Hardly exciting! I'm just gonna buy the essential ones, I get the magazine, I see the reviews there.

Carl

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 26, 2006
[QUOTE="scottscorpion, post: 0]people reviewing games is a form of advertising imo(if the reviews are favourable anyway),
from what i can see it just a collection of reviews and videos etc made to advertise products...i dont see point in paying for an advert.
this should be free to download and shown in home on big screen, if i like the reviews/videos i might be compelled to purchase the product, therefore the company who own the product i purchase could pay the reviewer.
and tbh i never trust reviews anyway, id rather play the demo or hear peoples views on here[/quote]

They don't get paid to review the games (do they?) so i fail to see how that is advertising in any way, really.

It guess it does advertise products, but only in the way that it shows them. If they genuinely think a game is **** do they say it, although not in those words exactly.

The amount you pay for the product is split so much already - and how would they know if you had bought it because of FirstPlay or not? They wouldn't so that doesn't really work does it.

If you don't want to buy it i see your point, not everyone wants to read/watch reviews etc. But i think it's well worth the price of 99p. Sure you get adverts, but after you see the advert once, you can skip it

HalfOfZero

Loves Kat Von D
Sep 21, 2007
www.just-stay-true.blogspot.com
[QUOTE="scottscorpion, post: 0]people reviewing games is a form of advertising imo(if the reviews are favourable anyway),
and tbh i never trust reviews anyway, id rather play the demo or hear peoples views on here[/quote]

Amen bro.

Nov 11, 2007
Bournemouth
Not going to be buying this or any future ones, it just not the sort of thing I would spend money on. I base my games by demo's (although some fail and the game is actually good) or by mates... if they like it then I probably will given the genre of the game and looked at some videos of it.

I get the official playstation mag for free anyway so that's enough for me in means of content and the interwebs for news etc.

J

jakster123x

Well, i bought it (i had just over £1 left over) and it was pretty good. Everything was very sleek and crisp.

Also the option to send a message to the team at the click of a button and instantly install a theme is a nice addition.

The next episode features some very nice footage of Split Second and shots of Vanquish btw.

I think i might just buy the important episodes tbh, but this was good all the same.

Mar 24, 2007
Your House.
[QUOTE="Copyright, post: 0]Haven't got it, content doesn't seem as good as Qore. I mean, a free theme and a parachute in Just Cause 2? Hardly exciting! I'm just gonna buy the essential ones, I get the magazine, I see the reviews there.[/quote]

err this is the first week? what you expecting in the first public version of the magazine? cant expect beta's and demos straight off the bat.

R3D D3V!L

PSU Editorial Assistant
Mar 12, 2007
Wigan, England
I'm on the fence, since none of the content was exactly new. It would be worth it if it got exclusive previews and reviews but that's doubtful since OPM UK would have to have the content as well.

Mar 24, 2007
Your House.
[QUOTE="R3D D3V!L, post: 0]I'm on the fence, since none of the content was exactly new. It would be worth it if it got exclusive previews and reviews but that's doubtful since OPM UK would have to have the content as well.[/quote]
i havent bought OPM in awhille but the free demo's with it used to suck so bad they were 2-3 months out of date, dunno about nowadays.

Carl

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 26, 2006
[QUOTE="R3D D3V!L, post: 0]I'm on the fence, since none of the content was exactly new. It would be worth it if it got exclusive previews and reviews but that's doubtful since OPM UK would have to have the content as well.[/quote]

They claim to have an exclusive look at Split/Second next week, and i'm pretty sure i heard them mention "exclusive review" at some point or other.

Klynton

Apprentice
Apr 13, 2008
www.klynton.com
If it's any help I think this episode was quite poor compared to the last weeks 'Beta 001D' episode.

But even though it was not as good I enjoyed the reviews and comments. It is a more 'say it as it is' approach, rather than online website reviewers who seem to always give 80-100% in case they offend the game producers.

Saying they will never have good stuff to give away because OPM would get them quite contradicts Qore which has to compete with the same system but gives away free PSN games and others. Firstplay must be deeply affiliated with Sony otherwise they'd never had gotten a sole virtual ezine contract on the UK PSN, so it's likely they can get decent free stuff to give away.

I subscribed as it's cheap, cheerful and both episodes have made me laugh.

Feb 12, 2010
I actually enjoyed the first ep enough to subscribe. But I guess what I like most was the commentary. The reviews I can live without generally. But the commentary was fun. And it's not really overly expensive.

Carl

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 26, 2006
For your information guys, apparently this weeks ep has a free Mini. Does that make it more appealing to you at all?

higgos22

Master Guru
Feb 8, 2009
it will probably have better DLC in time
but can you get in in Australia cus some email i got didnt let me in beta or whatever cus im not in UK

Carl

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 26, 2006
[QUOTE="higgos22, post: 0]it will probably have better DLC in time
but can you get in in Australia cus some email i got didnt let me in beta or whatever cus im not in UK[/quote]

Not unless you download it through the UK Store

Jan 5, 2008
Scotland
www.youtube.com
episode 2 is on the blog

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/04/14/introducing-episode-2-of-firstplay/

Hello again everyone,
First of all I’d like to say a massive thanks to everyone who tried episode 001 last week, and for all the feedback we’ve received. The response was overwhelmingly positive, and as we learn what all the shiny FirstPlay knobs and buttons do, it’ll only get better from here.

And just to prove it, episode 002 will be up on the Store from this Thursday (15th), featuring a review of Super Street Fighter IV alongside previews of explosive racer Split/Second: Velocity and dog ‘em up Dead To Rights: Retribution. We’ve also got another packed set of Network Highlights – including a countdown of your best FIFA goals – and a first look at Shinji Mikami’s new shooter Vanquish in our screenshot galleries.

This all comes at our regular, cheaper-than-a-posh-packet-of-biscuits price of 99p (or £8.99 for a 90-day subscription). And to make the deal even sweeter, this week we’re giving away a full minis game worth £2.49. Not to bang on or anything, but that’s pretty awesome.
And lastly – we’d love to hear from you guys. To tell us what you think of the latest episode, or to let us know about ace LittleBigPlanet levels, FIFA goals or Just Cause 2 videos you think we should feature, please email us at [email protected] or on Twitter at @firstplay_uk.
pic of mini you will get is D-cube Planet

MAJOR1234

Superior Member
Feb 16, 2009
The womans voice is so robot like. It seems as if she is trying to have a personality but really doesnt care. The content in firstplay is really good though.

J

jakster123x

[QUOTE="scottscorpion, post: 0]episode 2 is on the blog

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/04/14/introducing-episode-2-of-firstplay/

pic of mini you will get is D-cube Planet[/quote]

Yeah. Was gonna post that a couple of hours ago but i never got around to it.

Who's buying Episode 2?

I might buy it, but first i'm going to see how good D-Cube Planet is first...

Edit:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyuGNDriOzE&feature=related]D-Cube Planet[/ame]

Mar 28, 2010
Early days for them so let them get into the swing of swing and I reckon they'll on to something. Seeing how the magazine sales of Future Publishing were starting to bomb this seemed to be the best direction to go.

All in all I enjoyed the humour though I still expect to hear an American accent somewhere. That's Sarcastic Gamer's podcasts doing that to me. :lol: