For people who have finished GTA IVs story. *spoiler*

Lozt_again

Master Poster
May 9, 2006
soundcloud.com
This is a discussion for those who have finished the story of GTA IV.

Essentially, after a lot of pissing about (the best thing to do in GTA), I finally brought myself to plough
through the last missions. I was glad they introduced more critical decisions that effect your relationships.
The missions, although predictable, where fun and I enjoyed them. However it is a game that suffers
from a lack of difficulty modes. The game is just too easy. Like it or not, it's a walk in the park.

On to the main point though. The end of the story seems incredibly unfinished. In fact, it felt like the whole
game had fizzled out. The big chase was cool but ultimately lack luster and I couldn't help but feel this was
in no way shape or form the end of Niko's time in Liberty City. What I am suggesting is that the exclusive
download content that the 360 is receiving is the real end to the game.

I personally feel that R* have handed me a unfinished story. I'd like to know what you guys think? Why
was half the story missing? What about Bulgrin? Stop me if I'm wrong because I honestly can't remember,
but the people smuggling adversaries were left untouched. Niko still stands owing money to them. The
worst thing is, is I can't tell what I pissed with it finished so badly. I don't care that Niko doesn't get Kate.
I don't care there isn't thousands of useless things to do. I.e. Modding cars. The only thing I care about is
why this game feels unfinished.

On a side note, anyone who hasn't bought the game, I'd actively encourage them to buy the 360 version.
Multi Console owners are lucky. If I had a 360, I'd trade in my PS3 version for a 360 version with the hope
of a better end product.

Graham

like.no.other
Dec 3, 2005
Of course it's an unfinished story...this is just the first chapter in a series that will see them go to Vice City next (probably). The additional packs for the Xbox 360 version are not going to add anything mandatory to following the story, and having had to force myself through the last 20 or so missions, find the thought of paying for more in the same game very unappealing. Even if the extra missions do add to the story in a big way, it's not like I won't be able to read about it. I certainly have no regrets owning a PS3 and having that version though, none at all.

I agree, the ending for this particular installment was not what it could be, especially as you end end up right back in the gaming environment once completed. It just builds up to something that fizzles to not much. However, that still cannot take away from the fact that what you are left with is an incredible sandbox environment, and that, my friends, is really what the GTA series is all about. Plot and story is, IMO, secondary to what these games represent.

MR_T

Forum Elder
Oct 20, 2007
personally i felt by the time i had got to the 3rd island the devs run out of ideas, all the missions from then up until the end all felt very similar and uninspiring. the mission where u had to get on top of the truck and crawl into the cab was pretty cool they should have had plenty more missions that gave it that movie feel

Lozt_again

Master Poster
May 9, 2006
soundcloud.com
[QUOTE="Graham, post: 0]Of course it's an unfinished story...this is just the first chapter in a series that will see them go to Vice City next (probably). The additional packs for the Xbox 360 version are not going to add anything mandatory to following the story, and having had to force myself through the last 20 or so missions, find the thought of paying for more in the same game very unappealing. Even if the extra missions do add to the story in a big way, it's not like I won't be able to read about it. I certainly have no regrets owning a PS3 and having that version though, none at all.

I agree, the ending for this particular installment was not what it could be, especially as you end end up right back in the gaming environment once completed. It just builds up to something that fizzles to not much. However, that still cannot take away from the fact that what you are left with is an incredible sandbox environment, and that, my friends, is really what the GTA series is all about. Plot and story is, IMO, secondary to what these games represent.[/QUOTE]

While I agree that first and foremost, GTA IV needed to be an awe inspiring sandbox title. One which
seems at the moment to be untouchable in realization. I think we will have to wait for another R* game
to top it in fact. I can now see why all the little mini activities, abilities and properties, be it business or
resedential, are so sorely missed by some. Whilst it cannot be argued that the environment is extremely
inspiring, one which you care to tread in, it has lost a large chunk of the singleplayer aspect. There is
limited appeal as too the campaigns. A difficulty setting would have been a wise choice.

The actual story itself has never been incredible in any of there games, yet this one received multiple
points across reviews for the cinematics. However, it ultimately disappoints in the story aspect. What
use is this cinematography if the story is so bland and predictable, coupled with the aforementioned
easy missions.

My comments as to the 360 version being the wise choice, is my own theory that R* will finish this story,
this chapter, on the 360. I'm not so sure if we will see Niko again in Vice City. Maybe we will, there was
lots of talk of Vice City throughout the game. I personally would like to have him continue as the main
character across any future games. His personallity was the saving grace of the game. I now, more
than ever believe MS paid for something worthy of the cause. Although, I'd question R* as integral devs
for finishing a game in such a manner. These are of course my opinions. I don't think it would stop me
from purchasing a GTA game in the future, let alone another R* game.

For me, what is left now is the multiplayer which I have left untouched. Maybe it can breathe some life
into a game I otherwise have no intention of playing again. Finding all those pigeons, stunt jumps, cars
and women/men dating. None of those things mean much to me. Collecting that is. Watching a percentage
go form 99 to 100. A difficulty setting would have interested me greatly. That is my preference though.

[QUOTE="MR_T, post: 0]personally i felt by the time i had got to the 3rd island the devs run out of ideas, all the missions from then up until the end all felt very similar and uninspiring. the mission where u had to get on top of the truck and crawl into the cab was pretty cool they should have had plenty more missions that gave it that movie feel[/QUOTE]

Multiple areas of gameplay was left unturned. Climbing was largely left out. Scripted chases were used
far to much. Weapons seemed mainly unused. I guess, in the end, I feel the flaws in this game do not out
weigh the positives. Review scores of 10 seem questionable now.