Fortnite Battle Royale - No PlayStation Plus required

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
Right, but I wasn't saying the opposite or contesting that? Anyhow, I was just surprised that one platform requires you to be a subscriber while the other doesn't. On the PS4, it also applies to other F2P games – you don't need a subscription.

Hedon

Jan 19, 2018
This surprises me. Phil dumped the gold requirement for Hulu/Prime/Netfix on the Xbox One, so I am not sure why he didn't go a step further and do the same for F2P.

Not sure how many it would affect anyway. I doubt anyone buys an Xbox for just F2P games, or the PS for that matter.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
My guess would be that Microsoft realize Fortnite is popular and are jumping on the latest trend with the excuse that you're paying for a good online experience on Xbox.

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
This surprises me. Phil dumped the gold requirement for Hulu/Prime/Netfix on the Xbox One, so I am not sure why he didn't go a step further and do the same for F2P.

Not sure how many it would affect anyway. I doubt anyone buys an Xbox for just F2P games, or the PS for that matter.
Yeah, I kinda feel the same way. This was a bit surprising to me and I only found this from my cousin who mentioned it (I didn't believe him at first - I had to test it myself so I let my PS plus subscription expire and it let me play.)

I would have thought gold wouldn't have been a requirement given all the good changes they have made since the launch.

My guess would be that Microsoft realize Fortnite is popular and are jumping on the latest trend with the excuse that you're paying for a good online experience on Xbox.
I dunno. It doesn't make sense though....I mean, I don't see the positive side to requiring it.

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
They didn't jump on anything, they have always made online play gold access only.
There has been plenty of other F2P games that require gold before Fortnite.

Given the absolutely shit job Sony are doing with not only cross play but locking your content to their platform, it would be criminal of them to charge for this anyway.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
They didn't jump on anything, they have always made online play gold access only.
There has been plenty of other F2P games that require gold before Fortnite.

Given the absolutely shit job Sony are doing with not only cross play but locking your content to their platform, it would be criminal of them to charge for this anyway.
I don't understand how the way Sony is treating online is worse than Microsoft charging for "not really free to play". I mean, for those that pay for both services, which one feels like less of a rip-off regarding what you want to do online?

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
I don't understand how the way Sony is treating online is worse than Microsoft charging for "not really free to play". I mean, for those that pay for both services, which one feels like less of a rip-off regarding what you want to do online?
The game is free, the online service is not.
Sony is ten times worse because they are locking your account to them and them only.
They are locking progress and content of a game, that isn't even theirs!

Your VBUCKs are literally fucking worthless on PS4. They mean nothing, they are locked to PS4 only.
Why anyone would purchase content for the game is insane on the PS4.

It literally defeats the purpose of free to play, which is they hook you with online content.
In fact its ten times worse, because the game is free to play which means it costs you nothing to play on iphone, andriod, switch, PC, but if you spent you vbucks with Sony, you're fucked.
Spend your vbucks with anyone else, and it will carry over to any platform you're on.
Sony are th eonly ones who are literally holding peoples progress and content to ransom.

Then their is the whole cross platform play issue as well.

Last edited:

Hedon

Jan 19, 2018
My cousin, and this is a guess, switched to the PS4 likely due to the online paywall for Fortnite because when I visited them last year he had an Xbox One.
Wouldn't it have been easier to buy Xbox Live at $50 a year 6 years to continue playing Fortnite than spend $300 on a new console? Fortnite is gonna be deadville in less than 2 years anyway.

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
Well, I dunno if he really bought it due to Fortnite being free to play on the PS4 (just my guess) but he traded in the Xbox One towards the PS4 and I don't believe he bought it new.

I dunno about it being deadville....it just depends on how long EPIC is able to keep it fresh.

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
The game is free, the online service is not.
Sony is ten times worse because they are locking your account to them and them only.
They are locking progress and content of a game, that isn't even theirs!

Your VBUCKs are literally fucking worthless on PS4. They mean nothing, they are locked to PS4 only.
Why anyone would purchase content for the game is insane on the PS4.

It literally defeats the purpose of free to play, which is they hook you with online content.
In fact its ten times worse, because the game is free to play which means it costs you nothing to play on iphone, andriod, switch, PC, but if you spent you vbucks with Sony, you're fucked.
Spend your vbucks with anyone else, and it will carry over to any platform you're on.
Sony are th eonly ones who are literally holding peoples progress and content to ransom.

Then their is the whole cross platform play issue as well.
:unsure: hmm....you might want to see this...