Forza Horizon 4 Reviews

May 20, 2008
I knew this game was gonna be good.The demo is great.. IMO that metacritic score should be higher based on some reviews I’ve seen that’s strangley not on metacritic. But then again metacritic is a flawed system. Anyway, I’m happy for playground games because Horizon is a awesome series.

May 20, 2008
What reviews are missing? 92 is a damn awesome score. I'm definitely playing this on my PC via game pass.
I’ve seen a couple that’s not on metacritic but that’s why I say its a flawed system.

Im not saying 92 isn’t a great score but Horizon 3 has a 91 score and this game is bigger ,better and getting better reviews than that one did. I do understand that there may be some sites still in the process becsuse the game hasn’t released yet. Just keep in mind that Horizon 3 has over 90 reviews and this one has 53. My gripe is mainly about the way metacritic chooses to get their average score more than anything else. I know the game will be at least as good or better than Horizon 3 but IMO the score doesn’t exactly reflect it.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I read something recently about this game having missions based on classic Sega racing games. Are crossovers a common trend with Microsoft's racing IP because I recall they had a Hot Wheels themed event in the previous game?

May 20, 2008
Which reviews that you have seen for the game are not on Metacritic?
Seriously? All you have to do is google it. Horizon 4 has more perfect scores and way more 9s than Horizon 3 and they both are 91 on Metacritic. Something isn’t right with that.

There are some review scores that haven't been added and ive seen enough there to believe this is done on purpose. This isn't to say that this happens all the time, but it happens enough to notice if you paid close attention to how they get their score. Basically, if they want a game to get a certain score they can do it with ease, and most of the time it goes unnoticed by the majority of gamers. I've seen reviews where the reviewer gave a game a 9.5/10 and metacritic system gives it a 95 but another reviewer that uses a 5 star review system scores the same game 4 1/2 stars and they give it only 80 or 85. But what can we do about it? Nothing at this point because its gone on far too long and so many gamers look to Metacritic as a deciding factor on what's good or bad. Ive read a lot of reviews on Horizon 4 and most of them says its a better game than Horizon 3 and people who actually played the game says the same thing but strangely they have the same score. Its quite fishy.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I love this game. It was hard for me to stop playing last night. So much to do! The graphics are gorgeous, most of the time. There are areas that are bland but there are also areas that are jaw dropping. Probably the best looking game on the console.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Seriously? All you have to do is google it. Horizon 4 has more perfect scores and way more 9s than Horizon 3 and they both are 91 on Metacritic. Something isn’t right with that.
If you say so. I was mildly curious. I am not about to go on a scavenger hunt on the internet trying to track down your little conspiracy theory though.

I love this game. It was hard for me to stop playing last night. So much to do! The graphics are gorgeous, most of the time. There are areas that are bland but there are also areas that are jaw dropping. Probably the best looking game on the console.
I was only able to jump into the game for a few minutes but yeah, it looks incredible. PG really optimized the hell out of their engine.

Last edited:

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
Also can't stop playing this game, they have really knocked the ball out the park with this one! Best racing game on any console so far this year, and ya'll know how much I love my racing games lol

May 20, 2008
If you say so. I was mildly curious. I am not about to go on a scavenger hunt on the internet trying to track down your little conspiracy theory though.
Its not a theory. Its a fact. Its more about Metacritic than Horizon. Personally, I don’t need a metacritic score to tell me me that the game is good. The name Forza alone is enough for me.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
It is called different strokes for different folks. Not every review critic is going to give the game a 10. I can see where FH4 is not different enough over FH3 and that could bring the score down. The end result of Metacritic is a rock solid average score. That is the whole point. It is not about picking out your favorite single score and going off that.

And yes FH4 has many perfect scores. Here are some of the critics that gave it a perfect score.

TheXboxHub
MondoXbox
WindowsCentral
Generacion Xbox
XboxAddict

98/100 scores
SomosXbox
Xbox Tavern

Hmmmmmmm, quite the trend there lol. FH3 also has 91 total critic reviews vs FH4's 77 reviews. That is 14 scores that are not accounted for.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
It is called different strokes for different folks. Not every review critic is going to give the game a 10. I can see where FH4 is not different enough over FH3 and that could bring the score down. The end result of Metacritic is a rock solid average score. That is the whole point. It is not about picking out your favorite single score and going off that.

And yes FH4 has many perfect scores. Here are some of the critics that gave it a perfect score.

TheXboxHub
MondoXbox
WindowsCentral
Generacion Xbox
XboxAddict

98/100 scores
SomosXbox
Xbox Tavern

Hmmmmmmm, quite the trend there lol. FH3 also has 91 total critic reviews vs FH4's 77 reviews. That is 14 scores that are not accounted for.
exactly, and those reviews are most likely high 9’s or10’s but they aren’t there. There are no negative or mixed reviews posted there of Forza Horizon 4’s 79 reviews but yet it’s only 1 point higher that Horizon 3. It went went from 92 to 91 (same as horizon3)and back to 92 which I thought was sort of fishey. My guess is that maybe someone at metacritic probably thought “hey this game is getting better reviews than Horizon 3 and it should have a higher average “. I could be wrong but going by the review scores , and I’m including the ones that aren’t there for some reason, I think this game should be maybe a point or 2 higher . Reviews are just opinions but if you are going to have a system to determine what the score should be it should be a fair one.

And as for Xbox sites giving perfect scores, they aren’t the only ones doing it. PlayStation sites do it for their games as well.

Go over and look at all the 100’s they (metacritic) added to get God of War it’s 94. They have review sites that you normally don’t see on Metacritic. They even added Yahoo’s perfect score . Now, I’m not saying it doesn’t deserve it but why not do it for all games. Just look at the number of reviews and score difference for Shadow of the Tomb Raider for Xbox one and PS4. It’s 5 points higher on Xbox one with but it has about 25 less reviews. Is the game better on Xbox one x? Yes, but some would probably not agree to it being 5 point better.

Metacritic is very flawed in the way it gets review averages.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
exactly, and those reviews are most likely high 9’s or10’s but they aren’t there.
And they could be lower which would ultimately lower the average score. You are assuming those other critics are going to give out the highest scores. Assuming is stupid and you seem awfully worried about this for some reason.

You like the game right? Then relax and enjoy the game..

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Its not a theory. Its a fact. Its more about Metacritic than Horizon. Personally, I don’t need a metacritic score to tell me me that the game is good. The name Forza alone is enough for me.
Again, if you say so. It is a great game and you are right that you don't need metacritic to justify it. Just play the game and stop stressing over the score if it really isn't that important.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
And they could be lower which would ultimately lower the average score. You are assuming those other critics are going to give out the highest scores. Assuming is stupid and you seem awfully worried about this for some reason.

You like the game right? Then relax and enjoy the game..
I highly doubt they would be lower unless it’s one of those sites just looking for hits but it wouldn’t surprise me if metacritic uses one of those since that’s what they do sometimes.I am enjoying this game though. It’s a masterpiece in that genre. Yea, I said it.

Again, if you say so. It is a great game and you are right that you don't need metacritic to justify it. Just play the game and stop stressing over the score if it really isn't that important.
Well, you are the one who brought it up and posted the link to metacritic. I’m not stressing about it. I’m just highlighting a few things about metacritic that seem to go unnoticed or ignored.

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Well, you are the one who brought it up and posted the link to metacritic. I’m not stressing about it. I’m just highlighting a few things about metacritic that seem to go unnoticed or ignored.
Metacritic simply takes published critic reviews and combines them in to a single score. It is as simple as that.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Uh....no. I didn't bring up any issues regarding Metacritic and its methods of scoring. That little theory rest solely between your ears. I simply asked you a question which you couldn't seem to answer.

First time I have ever seen someone have issues with a Metacritic score of 92.

May 20, 2008
Metacritic simply takes published critic reviews and combines them in to a single score. It is as simple as that.
That’s pretty obvious. The problem is that they insert the reviews that they want to add. If it’s a multiplat game then they should at least have a equal amount of reviews. Not one with 90 and the other with 65. I understand that all sites don’t review games on both platforms but there are enough of them to at least have a even amount of reviews. Something like 2 or maybe 3 from Sony and Microsoft for exclusives and then add 10 more from others makes more sense.

if a review score on one site who uses the 1-10 scoring gives a game a 9.5 is a 95 for metacritic, how can another site using the 5 star system give a game 4 1/2 stars be 85 ,and then for another game it’s 90. I’ve seen this type of stuff there. I’m just saying they are all over the place.

Like I said before,there isn’t much we can do about it. It is what it is. What they do doesn’t stop me from enjoying my games. Even if Horizon 4 was on 72 I would still be playing it. I just think what they do shouldn’t be acceptable, but it is .

Uh....no. I didn't bring up any issues regarding Metacritic and its methods of scoring. That little theory rest solely between your ears. I simply asked you a question which you couldn't seem to answer.
No, you didn’t bring up any issues but you did what a lot of gamers do which is run to metacritic and post what’s there like it’s all that matters. I figured you would at least edit it with some different scores but hey its your thread. Now if you use metacritic as some sort of tool as to which games are worthy of praise then more power to you. I’ve done it in the past myself but I’ve started to actually go deeper into how they do things. It’s quite fishey imo.

You know what. I could of posted reviews that aren’t there but I was giving them the benefit of the doubt since the game wasn’t even released yet. At the time I posted that it only had about 56 reviews and it still had 2 days until launch and now it has about 79 and there are still some missing. Here are just a few just to let you know im not just making it up.
4.9/5 http://www.cinelinx.com/reviews/games/forza-horizon-4.html
10/10 https://twobeardgaming.com/2018/10/08/forza-horizon-4/
5/5 https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/1023722/Forza-Horizon-4-review-seasons-Xbox-One

That is just a few and there are more I could of posted. Now there could be some lower too but the question is why aren't they there. why aren't all reviews available posted? I answered your question and supplied evidence. Now you answer mine.

Now go look at all the reviews they added for a game like the latest God of War. They have The Sydney Morning Herold score on Metacritic as 100 but when you click on the review you don't see any score for the game. I didn't see where they gave any score. Not only that, but they added sites that aren't even gaming sites. Why not do that for other games as well?
https://www.smh.com.au/technology/god-of-war-review-runes-and-redemption-20180424-p4zbap.html
God of the review score is like the sixth one.
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/god-of-war/critic-reviews

It seems to me that games like Forza, God Of War and Shoadow of the Tomb Raider have their averages because that's what Metacritic wants them to have.

Last edited:

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
See? That wasn't so hard. Now everyone can see for themselves what you are talking about. As far as including other scores, the purpose of the Metacritic link is to do just that. You click that link and you given 70+ review scores and articles to browse. It is pretty simple and the meta score over 90 is about as non-controversial as you can get.

As far as Metacritic giving out scores they "want them to have", I don't understand why you think Metacritic actually cares. Regardless, Metacritic is far from perfect as they weigh some review scores of sites they deem more reputable over others and are very secretive about how their scoring works. And how did they come up with that score from smh.com? No idea but that is a good question. They do have some answers on the FAQ page as far as the number of reviews: https://www.metacritic.com/faq#item21

Thankfully there are other review aggregation sites:

http://opencritic.com/game/1573/forza-horizon-4?tab=1
Meta score: 92
https://www.gamerankings.com/xboxone/241008-forza-horizon-4/index.html
https://whatoplay.com/xbox-one/forza-horizon-4/
https://www.igdb.com/games/forza-horizon-4
Meta score: 91

I see a pattern.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
That’s pretty obvious. The problem is that they insert the reviews that they want to add. If it’s a multiplat game then they should at least have a equal amount of reviews. Not one with 90 and the other with 65. I understand that all sites don’t review games on both platforms but there are enough of them to at least have a even amount of reviews. Something like 2 or maybe 3 from Sony and Microsoft for exclusives and then add 10 more from others makes more sense.

if a review score on one site who uses the 1-10 scoring gives a game a 9.5 is a 95 for metacritic, how can another site using the 5 star system give a game 4 1/2 stars be 85 ,and then for another game it’s 90. I’ve seen this type of stuff there. I’m just saying they are all over the place.
4.5 out of 5 is as simple as taking that score and multiplying it by 2. That comes out to a 9 out of 10 or 90 out of 100. Nothing is all over the place because math is math. 4 stars out of 5 is 80% or the same as 8 out of 10 or 80 out of 100. As far as SMH.com goes it is possible that they reached out to Metacritic and gave them a score in order for their review site to be added to theirs.

I think Xbox branded review sites have an average of like 95/100 and the rest of the reviews average 89/100. I personally give this game about a 92/100. I will list what I do not like about the game.

1. Music options really suck in this game.
2. Really nothing else

Last edited:

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
2. Really nothing else
I actually really like the music in this, the only fault I can really find is racing online, could really do with ghosting the other players because I spend more time being punted off the road than I do racing!

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I actually really like the music in this, the only fault I can really find is racing online, could really do with ghosting the other players because I spend more time being punted off the road than I do racing!
Man I hate the music so much. I listen to the classical station most of the time.

May 20, 2008
4.5 out of 5 is as simple as taking that score and multiplying it by 2. That comes out to a 9 out of 10 or 90 out of 100. Nothing is all over the place because math is math. 4 stars out of 5 is 80% or the same as 8 out of 10 or 80 out of 100.
Nah, you just don't get it, I guess. Its not about simple math. Its about the inconsistency.
Converting A-F to numbers
A 4 star game that gets 3 stars can be posted but not 3 1/2 because that is 87.5.
Some games are not reviewed by sites
Some games get reviewed one way and some another
A shot-gun approach to certain mulitplat reviews

Im sure Metacritic could easily change their methodology but they wont because the weight of their scores matters more than review text to most gamers.

As far as SMH.com goes it is possible that they reached out to Metacritic and gave them a score in order for their review site to be added to theirs.
Its also possible that metacritic didn't think anyone would notice that they put up a fake score that the reviewer didn't give because they know most people don't read reviews. your reason doesn't make much sense. If that's the case you would think the site would of been updated to add the review score. We just don't know but its still fishy activity.

I think Xbox branded review sites have an average of like 95/100 and the rest of the reviews average 89/100. I personally give this game about a 92/100. I will list what I do not like about the game.

2. Really nothing else
I personally give the game a 94/100. Definitely the best Horizon game.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Nah, you just don't get it, I guess. Its not about simple math. Its about the inconsistency.
Converting A-F to numbers
A 4 star game that gets 3 stars can be posted but not 3 1/2 because that is 87.5.
Some games are not reviewed by sites
Some games get reviewed one way and some another
A shot-gun approach to certain mulitplat reviews

Im sure Metacritic could easily change their methodology but they wont because the weight of their scores matters more than review text to most gamers.
It doesn't matter when 75 of 80 review scores are actual scores given by said review site. The game is not perfect. The game offers exactly the same amount of fun as FH3. The scores should be almost identical.

May 20, 2008
It doesn't matter when 75 of 80 review scores are actual scores given by said review site. The game is not perfect. The game offers exactly the same amount of fun as FH3. The scores should be almost identical.
Well, I disagree. FH4 is more fun than the FH3 and it’s a better game. I’ve read reviews that have similar opinions.
No game is perfect, but this isnt about Forza Horizon score. It’s more about how Metacritic can manipulate. But like I said before,it is what it is. I commend Playground Games for their effort with this game. It’s really hard to stop playing it. They’re a solid developer for Microsoft Studios.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Is the problem that someone's personal opinions aren't being echoed by other critics? I wouldn't think most people would be bothered by the overall metacritic score and that they're just happy with a competent sequel. Don't worry about someone coming in and saying this game isn't a masterpiece or whatever because it shouldn't change how much you feel you're enjoying it. Accept that people won't always feel the same way about something.