Freezing ps3.

Acid Snake

Super Elite
Sep 7, 2008
My 40 gig PS3 has never frozen until few days ago. It froze about 6-7 hours in during Uncharted 1, 6-7 hours in during Uncharted 2, and about 8 hours in during Silent Hill Homecoming. Any idea what could cause this kind of issue? The only thing that I changed recently on the PS3 is the power cable. Any help would be appreciated.

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
Not trying to jinx any thing, but that reminded me of my 60gb. When it runned Uncharted, Killzone etc. That's just signs of an YLOD. Back those files onto a memory stick or USB.

HenryPSN

Superior Member
Feb 17, 2010
Sorry man but your PS3 is going to fail soon. It is most likely a Blu Ray drive error but back your saves just in case it also gets YLOD. I had the same problem.

HenryPSN

Superior Member
Feb 17, 2010
[QUOTE="AaronSOLDIER, post: 5462875]Back up your saves, deactivate the PSN and trade it for a slim.[/QUOTE]

Listen to him please.

timberflake

Superior Member
Sep 20, 2007
Back-up, deactivate it & trade it in asap. My launch 80gb YLOD on me last May & I had to shell out £250 for a slim.

Acid Snake

Super Elite
Sep 7, 2008
I checked with gamestop, they said it was only worth 70 bucks which is a total rip. Could it be something else like dust causing the system to freeze up? I haven't cleaned the system in a good while.

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
If you were to buy a new slim. Get the newer models; they sustain lesser energy than the first slim models. I got myself one and it works like a charm.

Indeed as well, back up those game saves.

timberflake

Superior Member
Sep 20, 2007
[QUOTE="Acid Snake, post: 5462966]I checked with gamestop, they said it was only worth 70 bucks which is a total rip. Could it be something else like dust causing the system to freeze up? I haven't cleaned the system in a good while.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. I put money on either your BD failing or you get the YLOD. Is it really worth the risk? Take the $70 and put it towards a new system.

Acid Snake

Super Elite
Sep 7, 2008
[QUOTE="timberflake, post: 5462973]I doubt it. I put money on either your BD failing or you get the YLOD. Is it really worth the risk? Take the $70 and put it towards a new system.[/QUOTE] Nope, not worth the risk. Guess I'll start saving for the slim then. :angry

Vader555

Superior Member
Jun 10, 2009
Tbh the 40gb and 60gb are dropping like flies now, my 40gb YLOD'd after 2 and a half years :(

I have a slim now, but even from time to time my slim will still freeze, sometimes when too much stuff is going on in BFBC2 (makes me think, server side error) It's far from perfect technology. Just out of interest, does anyone else's slims ever freeze occasionally?

Sep 10, 2005
No they are not....mine is more than 4 years now and i don't have even 1 freeze.I only had some cause of the HDD and that only when i bought it.

Sep 12, 2007
put it on craigslist or the bay. my og 60 gig ylod'd on me i fixed it with gilksy's pdf reflow procedure it works like a charm and i have it on ebay right now and its going for 130 with a day left on it. the backwards compatible og systems people are paying good money for. and if yors has never ben taken apart you should get top dollar.

Acid Snake

Super Elite
Sep 7, 2008
Well, I went ahead and took one more risk. I had someone do a speed through for MGS4 and it took about 8-9 hours to complete. This was after I cleaned the dust out of the system as best I could. Not one problem problem occurred during those 8-9 hours. Do you guys still think I should just throw in the towel and trade up? Or risk it a bit more and hope for the best?

AaronSOLDIER

Ultimate Veteran
Apr 5, 2007
forums.final7fantasy.com
[QUOTE="Vader555, post: 5463795]Tbh the 40gb and 60gb are dropping like flies now, my 40gb YLOD'd after 2 and a half years :(

I have a slim now, but even from time to time my slim will still freeze, sometimes when too much stuff is going on in BFBC2 (makes me think, server side error) It's far from perfect technology. Just out of interest, does anyone else's slims ever freeze occasionally?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Main problem being the RAM. I still think they shouldve threw in a bit more RAM with the slim like how they did with PSP 2000 just to make it a bit more stable.

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
[QUOTE="Vader555, post: 5463795]Tbh the 40gb and 60gb are dropping like flies now, my 40gb YLOD'd after 2 and a half years :(

I have a slim now, but even from time to time my slim will still freeze, sometimes when too much stuff is going on in BFBC2 (makes me think, server side error) It's far from perfect technology. Just out of interest, does anyone else's slims ever freeze occasionally?[/QUOTE]

It's the servers. I play a lot of Resistance fall of man and the game tends to freeze for a couple of mini seconds or due to lack of bandwidth it disconnects. The slims are great.

timberflake

Superior Member
Sep 20, 2007
[QUOTE="Acid Snake, post: 5464114]Well, I went ahead and took one more risk. I had someone do a speed through for MGS4 and it took about 8-9 hours to complete. This was after I cleaned the dust out of the system as best I could. Not one problem problem occurred during those 8-9 hours. Do you guys still think I should just throw in the towel and trade up? Or risk it a bit more and hope for the best?[/QUOTE]

Just accept its on the way out mate & get some money for it whilst you still can.

My 80gb phat was acting strangly for a while, I didnt think anything of it until it YLOD on me with inFamous stuck inside.

Have you at least backed up your data?

AaronSOLDIER

Ultimate Veteran
Apr 5, 2007
forums.final7fantasy.com
My 60GB froze once the night before randomly but I thought nothing of it, next day I played some God of War 3 for a few hours then it died. Managed to switch it back on, get my disc out, deactivate it and backup a couple of saves (mainly my Oblivion Ultimate character-in-progress).

Acid Snake

Super Elite
Sep 7, 2008
[QUOTE="timberflake, post: 5464244]Just accept its on the way out mate & get some money for it whilst you still can.

My 80gb phat was acting strangly for a while, I didnt think anything of it until it YLOD on me with inFamous stuck inside.

Have you at least backed up your data?[/QUOTE] Data is all backed up.

Mar 9, 2011
[QUOTE="Acid Snake, post: 5462799]My 40 gig PS3 has never frozen until few days ago. It froze about 6-7 hours in during Uncharted 1, 6-7 hours in during Uncharted 2, and about 8 hours in during Silent Hill Homecoming. Any idea what could cause this kind of issue? The only thing that I changed recently on the PS3 is the power cable. Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Your laser is failing, not YLOD like other suggest. If you are a heavy gamer, YLOD is inevitable. It's an overheating issue that is world wide. You will need to change your laser/lens in your bue ray drive. Depending on what route you take, it should only take about half an hour to an hour. Check out these guys: MikesPS3repair.com. Ultimately, the freezing games will happen more frequently within less time. Get it fixed before you damage the board improperly turning it off when it does freeze.

May 16, 2010
My slim has frozen occasionally on games such as Uncharted2 and RDR for seemingly no apparent reason. Got the slim about a year ago right after the fans on my 20gig got extra loud playing a demo of GoWIII. A good vacuuming and with regular cleanings the old fatty has been running fine every day since, though mostly now only Netflix, DVD/BRs and a very limited amount of gaming. To make a long story even longer it seems as if the new slim I've been using to game with this past year has frozen on more games than the fatty in the entire three years I had been gaming on it.

Anyway it sounds to me as if cleaning may have resolved the issue for you for now.

Acid Snake

Super Elite
Sep 7, 2008
Either way, I'm keeping this thing. I'll just buy the slim at full price when I get the chance. I can totally make some use of this current system if you get what I mean. :cool:

B

bigkopman

My PS3 has crashed a few times but mainly during Fallout 3 and BFBC2. I changed the HDD from an 80GB to 320GB last year. I think that sometimes too much is going on and it can't cope. Otherwise, it runs fine. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Acid Snake

Super Elite
Sep 7, 2008
It's been pushed pretty hard for the last few days and it hasn't froze a single time since then. I'm still have plans to pick up a slim though.