Gabe Newell: I prefer Xbox Series X over PS5

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
"From those I'll definitely go for the Xbox"

I guess multiplatforms will be the point of comparison for many months before the big guns come out.

May 20, 2008
Looks like differences this time around will go beyond resolution. We'll have to wait and see.
Yep, it's all on the devs because the hardware advantage is there for series x. You can tell because Microsoft won't stop talking about it and Sony refuses to talk about it. I want more games at 60FPS and Dolby Atmos support. If they can do it with all the other bells and whistles like ray tracing, that's fine, but if they can't I'll take that seamless gameplay and better audio over the other stuff.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
There's a time in the past people compared exclusives a lot but now it's over multiplatform games. Who cares as long it's playable.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
There's a time in the past people compared exclusives a lot but now it's over multiplatform games. Who cares as long it's playable.
People still compare exclusives.

If they did not, you would not hear for the calls for Microsoft to pursue single player, story driven games. When those eventually land, there will be a question as to where are the PlayStation shooters, or something to rival Forza Horizon, where are the RPG's or strategy games.

In addition to this, there has always been the comparison when it came to third party titles. Almost feels like when MS has a more powerful box, these are not important.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008

If they did not, you would not hear for the calls for Microsoft to pursue single player, story driven games. When those eventually land, there will be a question as to where are the PlayStation shooters, or something to rival Forza Horizon, where are the RPG's or strategy games.

In addition to this, there has always been the comparison when it came to third party titles. Almost feels like when MS has a more powerful box, these are not important.
Yeah I agree there are comparison with some exclusive games. But I feel since the PS3/Xbox 360 era there's been a lot more talk comparing third party titles since lot more games are coming on both consoles.

Yep deep down like you said it's not really that important doesn't matter longs as people play the console they want to play it on unless there's a big issue with one version etc.

The problem is Microsoft needs to make a hit with an exclusives like Sony can with a interesting new IP to get people to buy a Xbox Series X. Maybe Ori has been good but they haven't had a big hit since Gears Of War series.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
Yeah I agree there are comparison with some exclusive games. But I feel since the PS3/Xbox 360 era there's been a lot more talk comparing third party titles since lot more games are coming on both consoles.

Yep deep down like you said it's not really that important doesn't matter longs as people play the console they want to play it on unless there's a big issue with one version etc.

The problem is Microsoft needs to make a hit with an exclusives like Sony can with a interesting new IP to get people to buy a Xbox Series X. Maybe Ori has been good but they haven't had a big hit since Gears Of War series.
Sea of Thieves with 15 million gamers and growing is a bigger hit than almost any game Sony has put out.
Forza Horizon 3 had over 10 million, the follow up had more than 12 million last year. State of Decay 2 had 6 million and growing. Cuphead which Microsoft funded had sales of 5 million in 2 years, this is before it went to Switch.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Sea of Thieves with 15 million gamers and growing is a bigger hit than almost any game Sony has put out.
Forza Horizon 3 had over 10 million, the follow up had more than 12 million last year. State of Decay 2 had 6 million and growing. Cuphead which Microsoft funded had sales of 5 million in 2 years, this is before it went to Switch.
Do you think people would buy a Xbox One X if there's a another Sea Of Thieves game or any of those games you mentioned? The last showcase was to try and get people to buy a Xbox One X at launch. I think if they showed gameplay or more of Hellblade 2 footage it would of gotten people more interested.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
Do you think people would buy a Xbox One X if there's a another Sea Of Thieves game or any of those games you mentioned? The last showcase was to try and get people to buy a Xbox One X at launch. I think if they showed gameplay or more of Hellblade 2 footage it would of gotten people more interested.
Hellblade has done 3.5 million across PS4, XB1, Switch and PC. It is nowhere nearly as popular as of any of the other titles.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I think he's still bitter about the cellBE :p

*disclaimer because internet* This is tongue in cheek

To actually reference the video tho; Down this end of the world, the playstation is more synonymous within pop-culture than the xbox, which is why the presenters have the reaction they have. Even if you're an old fogey and you've never gamed in your life, you'll typically know that kids waste their time on the "PlayStation" thing - even if that thing isn't even a PlayStation. That and you don't normally see people pick a side in this manner.

I wonder why he does have that viewpoint tho? From a spec sheet, that's a given, but from a dev point of view, they're almost like for like - 8 zen 2 cores, with an RDNA2 based GPU, packing 16GB unified RAM, running off of an SSD. Neither are anything like the aforementioned cellBE in oddness.

On a side note: I had no idea he was down here...

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com

In almost any generation before, Sony's never had the more powerful box. If power was the only thing that mattered, Xbox One X would have made a difference this generation.

Microsoft is focusing more on content this time by purchasing studios to compete with Sony & Nintendo in that area (instead of simply relying on third-party.) That is what is going to help them. Not power.

May 20, 2008
In almost any generation before, Sony's never had the more powerful box. If power was the only thing that mattered, Xbox One X would have made a difference this generation.

Microsoft is focusing more on content this time by purchasing studios to compete with Sony & Nintendo in that area (instead of simply relying on third-party.) That is what is going to help them. Not power.
Power isnt the only thing that matters but it will help them.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005

Power will help them having the spotlight. Games and services will keep it on them.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
I doubt that game footage would get people more interested right now. There is a time for everything.
Well with the impression they made at the game awards last year with the reveal of Hellblade 2. Who wouldn't want to see more? A showcase of Xbox Series X power would of been ideal but instead they shared a video of the by revealing and talking about the game setting in Iceland with real photos instead of showing in game footage.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
Well with the impression they made at the game awards last year with the reveal of Hellblade 2. Who wouldn't want to see more? A showcase of Xbox Series X power would of been ideal but instead they shared a video of the by revealing and talking about the game setting in Iceland with real photos instead of showing in game footage.
And what happens if they are not ready with game footage? Has Sony not had a history of showing CG trailers? Did not knowing what Death Stranding was about kill hype or stop people from talking about it?

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
And what happens if they are not ready with game footage? Has Sony not had a history of showing CG trailers? Did not knowing what Death Stranding was about kill hype or stop people from talking about it?
Well they can say work in progress and get feedback:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Haha if anything most of MS's E3;s were full of CG trailers like EA and Ubisoft. Most companies do it if anything on that regard Sony is does it a little but they are reasonable and a lot more so than Microsoft. Which they used PS3 footage when they revealed FF13 on the 360.