Gamestop Prices Memory Cards

tbx59

Apprentice
Jun 4, 2010
via neogaf:

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-...ards-and-other-accessories-priced-by-gamestop

4GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $29.99
8GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $44.99
16GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $69.99
32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $119.99

Continue reading on Examiner.com PS Vita memory cards and other accessories priced by GameStop - National Video Game News | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/video-game-...r-accessories-priced-by-gamestop#ixzz1et5FBml

So, I guess might as well get the bundle. We're back to the good ole days of N64, PS2 style memory card gouging

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
Oh god... I can only imagine the Australian pricing on these things...

I'll just get the 4GB I think, since I'll be buying all of my games physically anyway. - Which I bet most people will decide to do after looking at the price for a 32GB card :lol:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Cybertox, post: 5719363]These prices are just insane.Im glad i wont be buying a vita, just a waste of money.[/QUOTE]

Not sure how you could possible come up with that when the product has not even released yet. It clearly will not be a waste of money if you use it.

Dec 24, 2007
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5719369]I'll be buying a micro adapter lol. No way I'm buying any of these. I'll spend five bucks on the adapter and use my 16GB card I already have.[/QUOTE]

Wait are you sure we will be able to use a microsd or memory stick with an adaptor and just pop it in?
I thought the memory cards Vita will use will be proprietary?

Cybertox

Forum Guru
Dec 28, 2009
Switzerland
[QUOTE="Lethal_NFS, post: 5719437]Not sure how you could possible come up with that when the product has not even released yet. It clearly will not be a waste of money if you use it.[/QUOTE]

And how could you come up that the ps vita will be clearly not a waste of money while the product is not released?

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Cybertox, post: 5719455]And how could you come up that the ps vita will be clearly not a waste of money while the product is not released?[/QUOTE]

Because if you buy something and use it, it will not be a waste of money.......

If you buy something and do not use, then it would be a waste of money. See the difference?

Jan 31, 2007
Northern Ireland
I don't get why everyone is so pissed at memory sticks..lol. Its not like they are something new, games have always needed some form of storage for their save files. Even the PSP saves are on a memory stick.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="O.J. Mayo, post: 5719450]Wait are you sure we will be able to use a microsd or memory stick with an adaptor and just pop it in?
I thought the memory cards Vita will use will be proprietary?[/QUOTE]
I don't see why not. The device won't be able to tell the difference.
[QUOTE="Dave-The-Rave, post: 5719461]I don't get why everyone is so pissed at memory sticks..lol. Its not like they are something new, games have always needed some form of storage for their save files. Even the PSP saves are on a memory stick.[/QUOTE]
It's not the fact that it is going to use memory sticks. It's the fact that Sony has an abundance of options for what type of memory stick to go with, and instead of using something that a LOT of people already have, is affordable, etc., they come up with this proprietary memory format to gouge customers from day 1.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-32GB-microSDHC-Memory-Package/dp/B003WGJYCY

$37 for a 32GB card, vs $119 for this NEW memory stick format. Puhlease!

*goo

Elite Guru
Aug 2, 2008
Yeah, a move designed to extract more coin from your pocket. Glad I've cancelled my Vita pre-order the way things are going. It's shaping up to be a fairly expensive unit when you add these things together.

Nitey

Elite Guru
Jan 17, 2011
[email protected] prices. Got a ton of different memory sticks in the house so I'm gonna grab an adapter like you F34R. Not surprised to see some people drop pre-orders with news like this. The Vita suddenly gone from a well pricedconsole to something a lot more expensive if you plan to get a game and memory card with it.

[QUOTE="Cybertox, post: 5719468]There are also situations where you buy something expecting it to be cool but then this thing will disappoint you.Then this is a waste of money as well.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? The way he talks is as though he will buy it and use it, therefore it won't be a waste of money to him? It's not that hard to follow.

You clearly aren't a fan of the Vita. We get it.

Ariakace

Dedicated Member
Mar 12, 2008
New Jersey
[QUOTE="Cybertox, post: 5719363]These prices are just insane.Im glad i wont be buying a vita, just a waste of money.[/QUOTE]

Waste of money to you, not to a whole lot of others, everyone else is right, if YOU buy it and dont use it, its a waste of money TO YOU! If you DONT buy it then you still cant use it and it wont be a waste of money TO YOU. Now i have 9 games i really cant wait for to be released for this "waste of money" that im going to spend a shitload of time playing on my breaks, and downtime at work, or when someone else in my house wants to use the TV, or... heres a crazy idea... WHEN I WANT TO PLAY THE GAMES IT HAS.... so am i wasting my money on something im going to get a shitload of use out of? chances are, im probably not wasting my money on something im going to get a shitload of use out of.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Inzane2050, post: 5720495]Calm down, bra. Lol

Anyways, I'm looking forward to Vita. When the official release date?[/QUOTE]
Feb 22 for us stateside.

B

benjiro

Problem:

Several games already require memory cards. Because they use the full 100% of there storage cards, there is no reserved space for Saves. In other words, you are required to buy a memory card, if you want to play any of those games.

Translation: The price of the Vita just moved at minimum into the 300$ range. And that is without any games.

At this moment, dual core Tablet are already moving into a nicer price range. Take for example the Asus Tab A500, dual core 1GHz ( Tegra2 ), 1GB memory, 16GB build in Storage, and 10" IPS ... you can find it already for 350$.

Lets compare:

Vita + Memory 16GB = +-320$ vs A500 16GB Build in = +- 350$
Vita + Memory 32GB = +-370$ vs A500 16GB Build in + MicroSD 32GB = +- 380$

Looking at it from a hardware point of view ... The difference is getting smaller.

Especially, not that not just Nividia is building those Quad core, but also several other ARM manufactures are coming out with Quad Core's. And the launch for the US / Europe for the Vita is still several months away.

Disadvantage is still the lack of proper control's on a Tablet. When somebody finally gets smart, and add's the basis control's to a tablet, you got yourself a full game console.

And another advantage .. you can run what you want. Want Emulators, go for it. No way that we will ever see a Emulator on the Vita.

For me, this pricing strategy clearly shows that Sony has NOT learned anything. This is Deja Vu, the PSP all over again. They made the console cheaper then people expected, but are quickly trying to regain the difference on the memory, that people will need anyway thanks to several game requirements.

I wonder if there are any decent Bluetooth control pads. Link those with a tablet, and voila ... Well, for me, my enthusiasm has dropped a lot. At the start of the year, the Vita looked like a massive high tech monster. But by the time its going to be released in the US/Europe, its already going to be not so special anymore. And now with these prices ... I can say clearly, the Vita is off my to buy list. I rather buy a tablet.

Xelios

Elite Sage
Apr 15, 2007
[QUOTE="Ariakace, post: 5720494]Waste of money to you, not to a whole lot of others, everyone else is right, if YOU buy it and dont use it, its a waste of money TO YOU! If you DONT buy it then you still cant use it and it wont be a waste of money TO YOU. Now i have 9 games i really cant wait for to be released for this "waste of money" that im going to spend a shitload of time playing on my breaks, and downtime at work, or when someone else in my house wants to use the TV, or... heres a crazy idea... WHEN I WANT TO PLAY THE GAMES IT HAS.... so am i wasting my money on something im going to get a shitload of use out of? chances are, im probably not wasting my money on something im going to get a shitload of use out of.[/QUOTE]

Lol.

It's an opinion. This is what forums are for. Don't get all hostile because you got your panties in a twist over a comment.

Nitey

Elite Guru
Jan 17, 2011
[QUOTE="benjiro, post: 5720592]Problem:

Several games already require memory cards. Because they use the full 100% of there storage cards, there is no reserved space for Saves. In other words, you are required to buy a memory card, if you want to play any of those games.

Translation: The price of the Vita just moved at minimum into the 300$ range. And that is without any games.

At this moment, dual core Tablet are already moving into a nicer price range. Take for example the Asus Tab A500, dual core 1GHz ( Tegra2 ), 1GB memory, 16GB build in Storage, and 10" IPS ... you can find it already for 350$.

Lets compare:

Vita + Memory 16GB = +-320$ vs A500 16GB Build in = +- 350$
Vita + Memory 32GB = +-370$ vs A500 16GB Build in + MicroSD 32GB = +- 380$

Looking at it from a hardware point of view ... The difference is getting smaller.

Especially, not that not just Nividia is building those Quad core, but also several other ARM manufactures are coming out with Quad Core's. And the launch for the US / Europe for the Vita is still several months away.

Disadvantage is still the lack of proper control's on a Tablet. When somebody finally gets smart, and add's the basis control's to a tablet, you got yourself a full game console.

And another advantage .. you can run what you want. Want Emulators, go for it. No way that we will ever see a Emulator on the Vita.

For me, this pricing strategy clearly shows that Sony has NOT learned anything. This is Deja Vu, the PSP all over again. They made the console cheaper then people expected, but are quickly trying to regain the difference on the memory, that people will need anyway thanks to several game requirements.

I wonder if there are any decent Bluetooth control pads. Link those with a tablet, and voila ... Well, for me, my enthusiasm has dropped a lot. At the start of the year, the Vita looked like a massive high tech monster. But by the time its going to be released in the US/Europe, its already going to be not so special anymore. And now with these prices ... I can say clearly, the Vita is off my to buy list. I rather buy a tablet.[/QUOTE]

That's all well and good but even with a bluetooth controller or phsyical buttons on a tablet device, they will never have the quality of games that we will see on the Vita

That's all it boils down to to be honest.

Sony reiterated today that the Vita is primarily a gaming device (duh), so comparing it to current tablets is a little pointless to the degree that one is made for gaming from the very beginning that has the added bonus of surfing the web, playing music and all that multimedia stuff. The other is built more as a multimedia device that has the added bonus of being able to play a bunch of games, that's probably why we haven't seen that tablet with phsyical controls or so much need for a bluetooth controller..Those tablets know their place in the gaming world

Not interested in software quality comparable to a console experience? Get a tablet

Anyhoo, I do agree the launch price is beginning to look rather steep. It'll only get lower. That's probably where Vita will have the majority of it's success..when it drops a price a little/bundles/hardware revision/even more games