Gamestop Prices Memory Cards

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 5722579]I'm still gonna get the largest one, importing from America means i'll probably score quite a big saving.[/QUOTE]
How much would something like that cost you over there? It might be a savings in that regard but it's still "highway robbery"... Guaranteed either at launch, or soon thereafter, there will be a MicroSD adapter for $15 or less.

wesmore24

Forum Elder
Sep 9, 2010
@the bball court
[QUOTE="Cybertox, post: 5719363]These prices are just insane.I'm glad i wont be buying a vita, just a waste of money.[/QUOTE]Its not a waste of money. The more expensive, the higher the quality of the product.

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5722607]How much would something like that cost you over there? It might be a savings in that regard but it's still "highway robbery"... Guaranteed either at launch, or soon thereafter, there will be a MicroSD adapter for $15 or less.[/QUOTE]

Generally most things from America are twice the price here. $40 / $50 US games launch here at $80 / $100.
The conversion rate will mean I'll still be paying 100+ for it, but compared to what the RRP for my country is, it'll be alot cheaper as a given.

For my PSP I've had a Photofast cr5400 which has been a super cheap 4GB option compared to memory stick.

Nitey

Elite Guru
Jan 17, 2011
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5722607]Guaranteed either at launch, or soon thereafter, there will be a MicroSD adapter for $15 or less.[/QUOTE]

Yeah exactly, I will probably get a bundle at launch which should come with a 4gb card and a case and stuff, just so I CAN save and store some files/dlc. Definitely waiting for an adaptar considering you can get a 32gb SD card for the price of the 8gb SonyVita card lol

The pricing of these sticks are becoming quite 'viral' in a sense that I've seen a lot of comments on twitter and on the web about people being 'very' put off by this. Honestly, I don't blame them and I don't blame people that will skip the Vita at launch based on this

It's funny, 'cos in the end the adaptars and 3rd party alternative cards will probably get a lot of people on-board the Vita, rather than Sonys own sticks

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
Like it's been stated, they put the entry price for the system in the right ball park, only to offset that with these mandatory purchases, unless you wanna wait for an alternative. If there isn't an alternative at launch, I just get the system, and wait to get any games I guess. I dunno.

With the JPN launch a couple months from the US launch, they have plenty of time to get adapters made. I think we'll be alright at the US launch.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5722825]Like it's been stated, they put the entry price for the system in the right ball park, only to offset that with these mandatory purchases, unless you wanna wait for an alternative. If there isn't an alternative at launch, I just get the system, and wait to get any games I guess. I dunno.With the JPN launch a couple months from the US launch, they have plenty of time to get adapters made. I think we'll be alright at the US launch.[/QUOTE]Yeah, if they can get some adapters made then I'll definitely be onboard.

AaronSOLDIER

Ultimate Veteran
Apr 5, 2007
forums.final7fantasy.com
If you're gonna download all your games (like I will), anything below 16GB isn't enough really, unless you're happy to continuously delete and redownload stuff. Still just gonna wait for a version of Vita with built in memory (hopefully 32GB built in, then by that time I can get a 32GB card cheap to make it up to 64GB).

tbx59

Apprentice
Jun 4, 2010
I can just see these cards tied up tightly and that adapters aren't going to be there or are going to be able to be messed with to prevent piracy

floetry

Forum Guru
Oct 21, 2006
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5719369]I'll be buying a micro adapter lol. No way I'm buying any of these. I'll spend five bucks on the adapter and use my 16GB card I already have.[/QUOTE] same

or will wait for a chinese clone that will jut as good, if not better

Nitey

Elite Guru
Jan 17, 2011
I wonder if you can save your games directly to the cloud, as a PS+ member. Would be cool until adaptars and cheaper 3rd party cards are out

floetry

Forum Guru
Oct 21, 2006
[QUOTE="Nitey, post: 5724757]I wonder if you can save your games directly to the cloud, as a PS+ member. Would be cool until adaptars and cheaper 3rd party cards are out[/QUOTE]

that'll be too much bandwidth

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5719369]I'll be buying a micro adapter lol. No way I'm buying any of these. I'll spend five bucks on the adapter and use my 16GB card I already have.[/QUOTE]
Amen.

TA-Pa-Ta-Pa-Tapatalk

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
Sony have made mistakes here a little...

The system to play games requires a memory card. So really the Vita is not $249. That is going to upset a lot of potential customers. It completely sends out the wrong signals (i.e. Sony is ripping us off and making the purchasing decision complicated which is a big no-no.

Originally Sony stated the actual game cards (i.e. the memory cards the games ship on) would have space to allow saves and DLC. That was what they should have stuck to...

And they could have but of course the money issue is talking now. They are trying to make people buy into the proprietary memory card. Oh dear.

Sony need to go back to the drawing board and tell developers they should incorporate game saves into the game cards themselves and also at the same time create a $299 bundle which includes the PS Vita, a 4GB memory card and a physical edition of a game (a top-quality game as well such as Uncharted Golden Abyss).

In the current economic climate a high-priced niche hand-held gaming device like the Vita could be a complete sales flop.

Last edited:

gabrielh

Dedicated Member
Oct 12, 2006
Yeah the no game save without card is totally BS
But, apart from that, Sony's memory card price strategy makes sense to me. They wanted to price this system at price point that most ppl can afford and then giving us the option of upgrading it according to our budget.(Unlike the PS3 that came fully loaded with features but at a high price point that many ppl were not comfortable with)
$370 for a system with these specs and 32GB flash memory is not bad at all ... it's the price of in iPod touch 64GB :)

Nov 23, 2005
[QUOTE="Wasib, post: 5726535]Sony have made mistakes here a little...

The system to play games requires a memory card. So really the Vita is not $249. That is going to upset a lot of potential customers. It completely sends out the wrong signals (i.e. Sony is ripping us off and making the purchasing decision complicated which is a big no-no.

Originally Sony stated the actual game cards (i.e. the memory cards the games ship on) would have space to allow saves and DLC. That was what they should have stuck to...

And they could have but of course the money issue is talking now. They are trying to make people buy into the proprietary memory card. Oh dear.

Sony need to go back to the drawing board and tell developers they should incorporate game saves into the game cards themselves and also at the same time create a $299 bundle which includes the PS Vita, a 4GB memory card and a physical edition of a game (a top-quality game as well such as Uncharted Golden Abyss).

In the current economic climate a high-priced niche hand-held gaming device like the Vita could be a complete sales flop.[/QUOTE]You are right for the most part and for the rest I will let you in on a little secret. They have a first edition bundle (comes 1 week earlier) that contains the PSV Wi-Fi, 4gb mem card, little deviants, a protective case for 299$ (Ebgames Canada) I believe they have a similar bundle in the U.S and will most likely have one in EU. I pre-ordered mine. It all came to the price I was expecting the Vita to be on it's own before the price announcement.

Separate card for saves is a no-no, but it has been done before. As long as Devs leave room for dlc on physical game cards, I won't complain too much. Plus, PSN+ subscribers MAY have access to CLOUD saving at launch or in a future FW. You can be sure SONY will run one of their surveys for the Vita, up to us to respond to it and let them know how we feel about this half retarded decision and ways to make it better.

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
[QUOTE="snooper71, post: 5726760]You are right for the most part and for the rest I will let you in on a little secret. They have a first edition bundle (comes 1 week earlier) that contains the PSV Wi-Fi, 4gb mem card, little deviants, a protective case for 299$ (Ebgames Canada) I believe they have a similar bundle in the U.S and will most likely have one in EU. I pre-ordered mine. It all came to the price I was expecting the Vita to be on it's own before the price announcement.Separate card for saves is a no-no, but it has been done before. As long as Devs leave room for dlc on physical game cards, I won't complain too much. Plus, PSN+ subscribers MAY have access to CLOUD saving at launch or in a future FW. You can be sure SONY will run one of their surveys for the Vita, up to us to respond to it and let them know how we feel about this half retarded decision and ways to make it better.[/QUOTE]Yeah I saw those bundles - hopefully they are widespread though. In the UK the maximum I can see PS Vita selling for is £199 with a 4GB memory card and a copy of a game. The unit on it's own should be priced around £169.The 'Cloud Saving' concept is interesting - perhaps though a little too complicated for the 'average casual-game consumer'.

Dec 13, 2011
The current prices online for the memory cards aren't official, and should just be treated as rumors. I work for a company asssociated with Sony, and they've said that the official announcement for the memory card prices will be made on the Playstation Blog sometime soon. Take these current prices with a grain of salt.

Nitey

Elite Guru
Jan 17, 2011
Well, according to IGN:

UPDATE: Sony reports to IGN that the price GameStop originally posted for the 4GB and 8GB memory cards was incorrect. The cards will cost $24.99 for the 4GB and $39.99. We've corrected the information below.
http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/121/1213432p1.html

So instead of $29.99 for 4gb Sony say $24.99 -_-

Would be lovely if they woke up and priced them appropriately. I have a feeling they are seriously considering it with the bad press floating all over the internet about these 'rumoured' prices

Dec 13, 2011
[QUOTE="Nitey, post: 5729277]Well, according to IGN:

http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/121/1213432p1.html

So instead of $29.99 for 4gb Sony say $24.99 -_-

Would be lovely if they woke up and priced them appropriately. I have a feeling they are seriously considering it with the bad press floating all over the internet about these 'rumoured' prices[/QUOTE]

Just keep checking their official site, as they'll be making a decision about the pricing.