Gamestop's answer to the online pass

Dennis Dyack

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2008
Looks like it will cost them some money but used game buyers will get what the new game comes with.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/15/buy-batman-used-at-gamestop-get-free-catwoman-code/

Buy Batman used at GameStop, get free Catwoman code

It is true that all new copies of Batman: Arkham City will come bundled with a code that unlocks Catwoman. Those looking to purchase the game used apparently won't miss out on her nimbly-bimbly antics, Kotaku reports.

A supposed internal GameStop memo states that all customers purchasing used will be given a free code, which will be printed on their receipt following purchase. We've contacted both Warner Bros. and GameStop for additional information.

Last edited:

Fenix

Elite Sage
Aug 19, 2007
Ontario, Canada
[QUOTE="sainraja, post: 5688273]How can they do that? Aren't the publishers / developers responsible for generating the codes?[/QUOTE]

gamestop buys the code, I assume.

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
...that doesn't make sense though, GameStop charges like $55 for a new game that people have returned the week after saving you only $5, if they are paying customers for their copy and paying extra for the code, how are they profiting?

This could mean that they will pay people less money for turning in their copy or something....

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="sainraja, post: 5688276]...that doesn't make sense though, GameStop charges like $55 for a new game that people have returned the week after saving you only $5, if they are paying customers for their copy and paying extra for the code, how are they profiting?

This could mean that they will pay people less money for turning in their copy or something....[/QUOTE]

Because they only pay $35 for that game, sell it for $55... they are still profiting. I hope they are somehow able to to stick it to these scam artists.

Fenix

Elite Sage
Aug 19, 2007
Ontario, Canada
[QUOTE="sainraja, post: 5688276]...that doesn't make sense though, GameStop charges like $55 for a new game that people have returned the week after saving you only $5, if they are paying customers for their copy and paying extra for the code, how are they profiting?

This could mean that they will pay people less money for turning in their copy or something....[/QUOTE]

Unless people sell the game within the first week or two, the game becomes useless to sell. Atleast IMO.

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5688282]Because they only pay $35 for that game, sell it for $55... they are still profiting. I hope they are somehow able to to stick it to these scam artists.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean to suggest that they weren't making any profit.....I figured they'd be making less profit compared to before and how is it still worth doing for them since they are not charging extra to include that code...

Perhaps this was a way for publishers / developers to get GameStop to pay them a percent for a used copy sold...

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5688282]Because they only pay $35 for that game, sell it for $55... they are still profiting. I hope they are somehow able to to stick it to these scam artists.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't really stick it to the "scam artists" when when Gamestop buys the online passes to give to the customers. Devs get their money, customer gets 2nd hand game with all the perks of a new sale. Just those who sell their games to GS who suffer really,... :D

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5688317]It could also end up being pushed onto the consumer in the form of lower trade in value for the used games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that did cross my mind (mentioned in original post.) Nothing is solved by this though (for those that aren't for online passes -- at least now they aren't missing out on extra content or online play so we are almost back at square one -- no one losses essentially with some minor exceptions.)

EDIT:

Why wouldn't they be buying the codes from publishers / developers?

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
They buy the codes in bulk so get discounts To us the code costs a fiver but to them it may be 2 or 3.
I reckon they are doign this so they can continue to sell them at the current rate or maybe increase it slightly.

Last edited:

Rekmon

Elite Member
Mar 7, 2008
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 5688336]They buy the codes in bulk so get discounts To us the code costs a fiver but to them it may be 2 or 3.
I reckon they are doign this so they can continue to sell them at the current rate or maybe increase it slightly.[/QUOTE]

I was gonna say just that. GS will make a little less money, but they will still make money of used game sales like this.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="powell145, post: 5692899]Ebay and just buy the dl code from developer everybody wins; cut out the middle man (GS) taking your money for nothing.[/QUOTE]
.. as opposed to giving the devs/pubs more money for a game they already sold? no thx.

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 5688336]They buy the codes in bulk so get discounts To us the code costs a fiver but to them it may be 2 or 3.
I reckon they are doign this so they can continue to sell them at the current rate or maybe increase it slightly.[/QUOTE]

That did cross my mind, I didn't mention it because I pretty much expected GameStop to try to fight this since their profit margin won't be the same or because consumers will be less likely to trade because GameStop will offer them less money compared to before.

*goo

Elite Guru
Aug 2, 2008
The publisher will bulk sell happily because this whole scam is about making more money, not actually killing the market. If they wanted to kill the market completely they wouldn't do this. But they are. As far as the second hand market is concerned, this is completely risk free income for them.

Inzane2050

Super Elite
Jun 27, 2011
Seattle, WA
Gamestop doesn't give a damn about developers and is giving them a big "**** you!" Gamestop sells there "new" used games for $5 less than the $60 new copy and revel in it. Developers are hurting with these insane development costs but Gamestop is just looking out for numero uno! Nothing wrong with used games but if Gamestop is going to very deliberately prevent developers from getting that initial, essential sale the first few month then they can rot. Gamestop is terrible.

Sorry for the angry rant

Last edited:

*goo

Elite Guru
Aug 2, 2008
Gamestop should be looking out for numero uno. It's not their job to help developers and publishers make as much money as possible. Gamestop's role is to sell products to the consumer, they're fulfilling that role to a variety of customers i.e. those who buy new and those who buy used.

They're not preventing developers/publishers from anything, they're giving the consumer choice.

Next up, screaming for the closure of eBay.

Inzane2050

Super Elite
Jun 27, 2011
Seattle, WA
Gamestop is actually making less money by doing this. I believe that makes it pretty obvious that this is a stunt to lure more people away from buying new and hurt developers. Gamestop is obligated to work with game producers to make things better, not rebel and damage the industry.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007

They pay $30 for like the first 2 weeks. Then down to $25 and so on. Gamestop always makes money. You also have to remember that the used game with now cost $5 more than it would without the code. Instead of $50 used it will now be $55.

Gamestop is the largest video game distributor in the world for a reason lol

*goo

Elite Guru
Aug 2, 2008
[QUOTE="Inzane2050, post: 5693273]Gamestop is actually making less money by doing this. I believe that makes it pretty obvious that this is a stunt to lure more people away from buying new and hurt developers. Gamestop is obligated to work with game producers to make things better, not rebel and damage the industry.[/QUOTE]

You do realise that if they were genuinely trying to damage the industry, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot? They are a video game retailer after all.

Let's stop pretending that the second hand market is killing developers. It's a complete fallacy, there's not one instance of a developer closing their doors as a direct result of people buying a game second hand.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Lethal_NFS, post: 5693306]They pay $30 for like the first 2 weeks. Then down to $25 and so on. Gamestop always makes money. You also have to remember that the used game with now cost $5 more than it would without the code. Instead of $50 used it will now be $55.

Gamestop is the largest video game distributor in the world for a reason lol[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I was guestimating, but thanks for the accurate model.

Inzane2050

Super Elite
Jun 27, 2011
Seattle, WA
[QUOTE="*goo, post: 5693375]You do realise that if they were genuinely trying to damage the industry, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot? They are a video game retailer after all.

Let's stop pretending that the second hand market is killing developers. It's a complete fallacy, there's not one instance of a developer closing their doors as a direct result of people buying a game second hand.[/QUOTE]

Quite a few studios have closed their doors this generation as a result. There is a reason Call of Duty can sell 25million copies a year: nobody is able to buy it used due to the online play.

Last edited:

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="Inzane2050, post: 5693520]Quite a few studios have closed their doors this generation as a result. There is a reason Call of Duty can sell 25million copies a year: nobody is able to buy it used due to the online play.[/QUOTE]

Why would buying CoD use prevent you being able to play online?

---
- BBK Is Tapatalking

Inzane2050

Super Elite
Jun 27, 2011
Seattle, WA
[QUOTE="BoyBettaKnow, post: 5693523]Why would buying CoD use prevent you being able to play online?

---
- BBK Is Tapatalking[/QUOTE]

I never said that. What I am saying is that the online okay keeps people from trading in their game and so people have to buy new. It's the same reason Halo 2 sold so much on a console in last place and surpassed The most popular game franchise in sales.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Inzane2050, post: 5693520]Quite a few studios have closed their doors this generation as a result. There is a reason Call of Duty can sell 25million copies a year: nobody is able to buy it used due to the online play.[/QUOTE]
Links to info on studios closing due to second hand games? There are PLENTY of used copies at Gamestop stores.

*goo

Elite Guru
Aug 2, 2008

Which studios closed their doors due to the used game market? On Call of Duty, I purchased my first copy of Modern Warfare used. You can pick up second hand copies without difficulty.

I actually traded them both (MW & MW2) in recently along with a bunch of other games and purchased Dark Souls and Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD with the funds. Did I help kill developers or help them flourish? What a conundrum!

Last edited: