GG getting familiar with ps3 advantages..

ps3isthebestobe

Superior Member
Jan 23, 2008
Just having read this post (thanks to seebs, mynd, vulgotha....list goes on)http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=138376i now understand the main differences between the ps3 and its competitors and why the cell can play such an important part in game processing... for example getting the spe's to backcull scenes to enable increased polygonsIt seems Guierrila have really exploited these advantages as shown in recent screenshots. Environments are looking extremely detailed, with hints of more colour, as well as some very nice textures and not to mention everything else it is renowned for. one question... say theoretically both sony and M$ competed to make killzone 2 for example, the best it could be on each system....although its pretty obvious the ps3 would win in the visuals area(cells advantages to backcull, post processing etc), are there any departments the 360 would win in. I heard that the ps3 is pretty much maxed out AI wise, is this true and could the 360 take the cake here?

YoungMullah88

PSU Live Streamer
Sep 15, 2006
Charlotte
www.playfire.com
its far from being maxed out A.I wise. isnt that what cell is good at? number crunching? who knows, all i know is that KZ2 is a beautiful game and will have tight controls...i just cant wait to see the next step after the success of kz2

hisame

Elite Guru
Dec 5, 2005
[QUOTE="chimam2002, post: 0]its far from being maxed out A.I wise. isnt that what cell is good at? number crunching? who knows, all i know is that KZ2 is a beautiful game and will have tight controls...i just cant wait to see the next step after the success of kz2[/quote]

That depends on how you do A.I. Most game developer do AI via a tree base branching system.
MS is keep on bashing PS3 is max out in AI because Cell can only perform branching efficiently in PPU.
However branching itself is basically searching a answer via a system.
Frankly branching is NOT a efficient way of searching, but it's simple to understand that's why game developer use them.
In fact to do searching (AI?) via SPE the easy way will be using bit mapping, or multidimentanal searching.
So instead of finding an answer linearly via brach, finding answer parallel is what SPE is good at.

Anyway searching is not even a good way of doing AI anyway.
Multi FFT node AI, or multi best fit AI will fit Cell perfectly.
My question is does game developers has the brain to do this kind of AI.