God of War III Called 'Last Installment'

DontKnowMe

Forum Elder
Oct 19, 2006
http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/god-of-war-3-called-last-installment/?biz=1

Many of us are wondering how much the "last installment" will stick if God of War III does tremendously well at retail.

Today, Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) revealed some details for God of War III. Unveiled for the first time at the VGAs last night, it is promised to be "four times larger" than God of War II, with quadruple the texture resolutions, dynamic lighting effects and "a robust weapon system."

"We have large shoes to fill following the success of the previously released God of War titles," said Stig Asmussen, Game Director for God of War III. "But with refined gameplay and jaw-dropping visuals, I guarantee that God of War will give fans what they have been eagerly waiting for, and much more."

The story of God of War III picks up where its predecessors left off, where Kratos is launching on his dark quest to destroy Olympus and annihilate the gods who have betrayed him. Indeed, the finality of God of War III is implied by SCEA, who call it "the last installment" in the franchise.

I expect this game to conclude the God of War story line, but that doesn't mean they could do a prequel or side story.

SonyJunkie

Gaming Guru
May 14, 2006
I think they should end it after the third. I hate when the keep making more games just to make money. Then the games story starts to go down hill and people forget about it. They could do side stories or prequels. That would be pretty cool. They could make them downloadable games maybe. Just a little extra.

hillybilly

Elite Member
Apr 29, 2008
[QUOTE="SonyJunkie, post: 0]I think they should end it after the third. I hate when the keep making more games just to make money.[/quote]
Thats how game companies work though, I think they should just end the series once the game starts getting old and the plot gets worse or mediocre (such as the downfall of tomb raider, first games were epic but then it went too far to mediocrity) If a God of War game scores less then 7/10 then its time to pack up and make a new IP or spinoff in my opinion

PsychoMantis

Mr. Ten-A-Key!
Nov 20, 2005
I think that nearly all games should end at 3 (with a few exceptions) because when a 4th or even a 5th installment is made the game gets stupid and confusing.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="DontKnowMe, post: 0]http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/god-of-war-3-called-last-installment/?biz=1

I expect this game to conclude the God of War story line, but that doesn't mean they could do a prequel or side story.[/quote]

They already did a prequel on the PSP. Its best to let this franchise rest. Stories that have a begenning and an end becomes strong as a complete package. I can never get into games or even TV series that belabor the main storyline. Or never have a lasting effect on the world.

Sep 29, 2008
Best to let it end while it is still fresh I say. GOW doesn't feel dated even to this day, make the third one mind blowing ending on a high not and I shall be happy.

Serinous

Elite Sage
Feb 18, 2008
After this, maybe they could do one on the Norse mythology? A Viking dude fighting Thor and Loki and stuff like that. Haha.

Nov 23, 2008
I hope they conclude the God of War series at the third installment. I'd like to see the team come up with something else that no one has really done before and add a lot of blood and violence :D

IDgilly

Forum Elder
Nov 17, 2008
why do u laugh. ive herd stuff like this drifting round the forums. i think y=this would be amazing idea. even if its not norce, there are plenty of god myths out there (please, no jesus though). just the concept of keeping the same name but with a different style and different gamplay elements sounds amazing.

DeputyDon

Elite Guru
Jun 7, 2005
www.youtube.com
[QUOTE="IDgilly, post: 0]why do u laugh. ive herd stuff like this drifting round the forums. i think y=this would be amazing idea. even if its not norce, there are plenty of god myths out there (please, no jesus though). just the concept of keeping the same name but with a different style and different gamplay elements sounds amazing.[/quote]

Just going to throw this out there. People believed in these gods as their religion. I don't know if anyone actually believes that anymore, but if someone made a game based off Jesus, you can't really say anything without being hypocrite.

That's my opinion at least.

Then again, I'm not religious. So I really don't care.

arachnid

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2008
i reckon they should end it with GoW3, unless something crazy good happens in the next one that could lead to a sequel, but it would have to be amazingly good (storyline-wise). if they do finish with the series then it would be great to see what they do with the things they've learnt about developing on the ps3

one thing i dont get is when ppl suggest other mythologies n stuff like norse gods n that (sorry if my spelling aint right, come back from pub n cant be bothered to look it up), to me GoW is about GREEK mythology and any other mythology would just not seem right, they may aswell ask for jesus or something to be put in :snicker, just my opinion though, if they started doing other mythologies then in my eyes they'd have to make it a new series, as GoW (to me) is only associated with Greek mythology, but then the whole concept would just be seen as a rip off of GoW, bascially id prefer them to stick with the existing story/era after, if not then move onto a different game

Popster2

Apprentice
Dec 1, 2006
[QUOTE="PsychoMantis, post: 0]I think that nearly all games should end at 3 (with a few exceptions) because when a 4th or even a 5th installment is made the game gets stupid and confusing.[/quote]

What are those few exceptions? im just curious, i can't think of any game... well MGS4 just popped in my head. any others?

Fawkes

Dedicated Member
Sep 24, 2006
Oooh, that's definitely sad. I love the God of War games and would love to have a hundred more in the future!

0tacon

I just hope it's lenghty and replayable enough to justify itself for being the last installment. I just felt that GOW 1, 2 and Chains of Olympus were very short games.

Dec 2, 2008
I agree that David Jaffe should put his talent to work on a new character/story. Refine what he's good at, expand on that, and implement new ideas along with the refined old ones.

I love GoW. And I, too, think it should end here with III.

1jessegd

If god of war 3 has multi-player i'm fine with it being the last but if it doesn't how about a GOW online or GOW Multi-player only game...

Nov 5, 2008
Philadelphia
Yeah it should be the end of the series , but that doesn't mean they can't work some other new projects...

I expect to see some nice new things from the creators of God of War.

Venger

Forum Elder
Jun 16, 2005
There's a whole range of religions that had gods of war, they could move on to one of them. There a point at which the current story has to stop, namely when Kratos brings down the Greek Gods. So I'd rather see a definite ending to Kratos's story rather than see them milk the character for all he's worth.

Nov 5, 2008
Philadelphia
[QUOTE="montevista, post: 0]WTF?????? NO! keep them going !!!!!!!!!!!

if u guys would have said this about the MGS series we wouldnt have had MGS4 :([/quote]

I hope it's not the last installment, but all signs are showing that it probably will be.

DeputyDon

Elite Guru
Jun 7, 2005
www.youtube.com
[QUOTE="montevista, post: 0]WTF?????? NO! keep them going !!!!!!!!!!!

if u guys would have said this about the MGS series we wouldnt have had MGS4 :([/quote]

That's because the MGS series wasn't finished. We knew MGS 3 was a prequel and that MGS2 ended at a quite bizarre place. We needed MGS 4 to complete the storyline. God of War has always been known to be a trilogy.