God of War (PS5) - Opinions & Discussion

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
My initial thoughts after just a few hours of play time.

This game is really good looking on the PS5, after the latest patch (1.35). I don't know it there is a visual fidelity difference from playing it on PS4 Pro, but in combination with the frame rate (60fps) it's both a really good looking game and runs pretty smooth.

The combat is quite good, not as snappy as something like Ghost of Tsushima, but it's not meant to be either, I think. I really like that you can change the control button setup the way they've done it. It made absolutely no sense at all to have dodge on X and interact on O, imo. Luckily you can change just those two buttons around in the settings so that you get it how most other games does it (interact = X, dodge = O).

So far this game has given me a really good first impression.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
So I've been playing this game for about a week now and have gotten quite far into the game, I think. This game is quickly moving up towards my top PS4 games the more I play it.

I really don't have anything to complain about so far. The game is really good looking, the soundtrack and sfx is really good, the characters and voice acting is really good, the story is good, the combat and gameplay loop is really good, imo. There might be some minor issues with the game if wanted to nitpick, but so far they are not worth mentioning.

NoUseMercenary

Gamer & Crypto Investor
Staff member
Sep 17, 2005
I need to playthrough this again and Platinum trophy. Those damn Odin ravens are hard to find. And I have only killed two of the Valkyries. They're fucking tough.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I need to playthrough this again and Platinum trophy. Those damn Odin ravens are hard to find. And I have only killed two of the Valkyries. They're fucking tough.
Yeah, those Valkyries is really though, I killed my second one today (after a few tries). I'm going for killing all of them because I want the armor you get from beating all of them. But it depends on how much harder they get, I might give up that idea if they become too much of a PITA. I don't think I'll be going for the platinum in this game, right now it feels like I'm very far away from that. I'll just try to do as much as possible of the side stuff, as I almost always do, and then consider myself done with the game when I'm finished with the story.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
So, I've beaten four Vakyries now. The last one I beat (after many tries) was the hardest one so far, all her attacks were super fast. I wish you could lock the camera on the target when there's only one enemy you're fighting. Lock on seems to only be available when you're fighting more than one enemy. Lock on would've helped alot against the super fast Valkyrie, sometimes I even lost track of where she went after an attack.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Six Valkyries beaten now. The last one I beat (today) was probably the easiest one so far, or maybe I should rephrase that, she was the least hard one so far. ;)

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
So I've beaten all (8) of the regular Valkyries now, only the final one (the queen) is left to beat. Right now I'm grinding Niflheim (the fog maze realm) to get good gear and upgrade some of it. It's quite a grind, but I hope it's worth it in the end. I haven't checked which trophies I have left, I'm at 80% right now and I haven't finished the story and all the side content that I wanna do yet.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I finally beat the Valkyrie queen today. She's definitely the toughest fight in the game (so far). It took me at least 30 tries before I finally beat her. I even had to change my build to be more tanky to have a chance against her. And this is on "normal" difficulty, I can only imagine how hard she is on Give Me God of War.

NoUseMercenary

Gamer & Crypto Investor
Staff member
Sep 17, 2005
I finally beat the Valkyrie queen today. She's definitely the toughest fight in the game (so far). It took me at least 30 tries before I finally beat her. I even had to change my build to be more tanky to have a chance against her. And this is on "normal" difficulty, I can only imagine how hard she is on Give Me God of War.
Congrats! That probably felt very satisfying to finally beat her. I've watched videos and she looks pretty tough. Although, if you learn the patterns and have great reflexes, you can take her down after a few tries. I still have yet to beat her in my game. It'll probably be a while though as I plan another playthrough of FFVII Remake and picking up Disco Elysium Final Cut at the end of the month.

Now that you beat the Valkyrie queen, are you going to attempt to complete the rest of the trophies? Like releasing all the dragons or hunt for the Odin ravens?

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Congrats! That probably felt very satisfying to finally beat her. I've watched videos and she looks pretty tough. Although, if you learn the patterns and have great reflexes, you can take her down after a few tries. I still have yet to beat her in my game. It'll probably be a while though as I plan another playthrough of FFVII Remake and picking up Disco Elysium Final Cut at the end of the month.

Now that you beat the Valkyrie queen, are you going to attempt to complete the rest of the trophies? Like releasing all the dragons or hunt for the Odin ravens?
The problem is that I don't have the best reflexes (I'm in my mid 40's), so it would probably be faster to beat her for people with really good reflexes. The thing that makes her extra hard is that she uses all the attacks of the other Valkyries and mixes them up on random.

Yeah, I decided to go for the platinum when it was in reach, so I got it. I released the dragons pretty early on and used youtube guides towards the end to get the last of the collectibles (including the Ravens).

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Now I have finally finished the game. I even ended up getting the platinum trophy. I didn't think I would go for the platinum trophy, but as it was within reach when I had finished almost everything I wanted to finish in the game I went for it.

I was never that interested in the older God of War games because they where too focused on the hack-n-slash part only. This game has more to offer though. There's a good story, the main characters feels quite deep, there's exploration and puzzle solving. You even have some light rpg elements in there like crafting and skill trees etc. But this is not an rpg in any way, this is first and fore most an action/adventure game.

The combat feels really good, it has some weight to it, without feeling clunky or sluggish. Some of the boss fights are really fun once you learn their attack pattern and get the timing right in your blocking and dodges. Some of the enemies are not that fun at all, just frustrating, imo. This is definitely a game where you can't just button mash your way through the fights, you will get your butt kicked if you try to button mash your way through, even on normal difficulty. The most difficult fights are definitely in some of the side content, like the Valkyries for example.

The graphics is really nice looking in this game. I really like both the design and the fidelity of the graphics, it's really top notch for a PS4 game. Both the world and the characters are very detailed and well designed, imo. It's definitely one of the most polished games I've played. I don't know if I have even seen a texture or a model that I thought needed more polish.

The music in this game is really really good overall. It ranges from slow and emotional to epic and bombastic. All of it very well made. The same goes for the sound effects, they are really good and is part of what makes the combat feel so satisfying. The voice acting is top notch and really fit the characters, imo. The surround sound is among the best I've heard in a game (through my home theatre sound system).

When it comes to the story I really like how it was told, with the relationship between Kratos and Atreus as one of the main things that held the story together. And the characters overall felt really good and well realised.

If I'm going to complain about something it's mainly small thing, nit picky things. Like how the control over the camera is sometimes taken away from you a bit too long for my taste. Or how the aim assist is a bit too sticky for my taste, but I ended up turning it off, so that made it better, but it felt like it was not completely off when it was turned off, there was still some stickyness there. The enemy variety could've been better, but it's not a big deal at all, there are games that have way less enemy variety than this game. There are some fights that is more frustrating than I would like them to be, but that's a personal thing, I'm not a huge fan of overly difficult and unfair (imo) fights in games. The Grinding in Niflheim and Muspelheim felt a bit much towards the end.

Pros:
* Graphics (is really impressive for a PS4 game)
* Combat (feels good overall and has some weight to it, in a good way)
* Soundtrack and SFX (is really really good)
* Voice Acting (is really good overall)
* Story (is good)
* Characters (is really good overall and felt well realised)

Cons: (all of these are very small complaints)
* Camera Control (is taken away from you for too long sometimes)
* Enemy variety (could've been better)
* The Aim Assist (is a bit too sticky sometimes, for my taste)
* Some of the fights (felt a bit unfair and was really frustrating, a bit too hard for normal difficulty, imo)
* The Grinding (in Niflheim and Muspelheim was a bit too much, imo)

It might seem like I have a lot of complaints (above here) about this game, but none of them was a big problem for me. The positive parts in this game is really really good overall and the negative parts are all just small and nit picky. So this game lands really high on my list of PS4 games. It's definitely among the absolute best PS4 exclusives, imo. To me this game is worth around 9/10, an amazing game.