Good FULL HD TV for my PS3 Dragonfly

Dobbs2

Apprentice
Apr 10, 2007
[QUOTE="coolguy, post: 0]you only need 1080p tv if your tv will be over 40 inches.
if its under 40 inchs then 720 is fine.
and when you get the tv you will need to adjust the brightness & sharpness
and color your self. i have a 32 inch samy lcd PS3 GAMES LOOK awesome on it[/quote]

Incorrect it depends on viewing distance and size. I have a nice 32inch that is perfect in 1080p on blurays and games that support it can definitely tell the difference. Granted I do seat about 4-5 ft away in a gaming chair.

@ Op You really should ask this in the Home theater part of the forum you will get better answers. They really know their stuff and can help you out.

Apr 27, 2008
i hate to hijack your thread, but on this hz thing, does this have anything to do with the ms delay on the tv. like i previously made a thread asking why a 32" samsung i tested my system on had a 1.5sec delay between what happens in the game and when its displayed on the screen but only happened for ps3 not movies or actual tv. i worry ill buy a nice 32" but it will end up with the same delay thing due to the mhz? or 4-8ms delay?

higgos22

Master Guru
Feb 8, 2009
depending on how much ur willing to spend, id recomend sony bravia z series, and if u can find a tv in 240 frames per second get that and if u dont want bravia z series which is 200 fps get a tv with 120 frams per second instead of normal 100, as games are normally in either 30fps or 60fps and ps3 goes up to 120fps so 30 60 and 120 all go into either 120 or 240, also bravia z seires is good as its 200frames per second and some motion flow thing

Jun 27, 2007
It's all depends of how much money you can spend...
I have Sony 40'' W4000 and I'm happy with it(however it seems small to me already:))
So you can choose between this one and Sony V5500,W5500(the 100hz one)which are the new models of the W4000 and W4500 .Another very good Sony TV is Z4500(200hz refresh and picture processing).
Maybe the best 40'' LCD on the market right now is Philips 9803 but it's just too expensive.
Some one will say the Sony X series(the most expensive Sony series), but I wouldn't recomend 40'' X4500,because if you want this series from Sony you should choose 46'' or bigger screen(which have LED panel and absolutely mind blowing picture),the 40'' doesn't :)

Dragonfly

Teh Spamfather
Jan 13, 2009
[QUOTE="Zooey_Deschanel, post: 0]yupyup and go Plasma ^_^[/quote]
nah, i heard that pics can burn into the tv and that's no good for fps hud or just the kz2 menu.
[QUOTE="Dobbs2, post: 0]Incorrect it depends on viewing distance and size. I have a nice 32inch that is perfect in 1080p on blurays and games that support it can definitely tell the difference. Granted I do seat about 4-5 ft away in a gaming chair.

@ Op You really should ask this in the Home theater part of the forum you will get better answers. They really know their stuff and can help you out.[/quote]
what kinda theater part???? plz send me a link
[QUOTE="mushroomhead, post: 0]It's all depends of how much money you can spend...
I have Sony 40'' W4000 and I'm happy with it(however it seems small to me already:))
So you can choose between this one and Sony V5500,W5500(the 100hz one)which are the new models of the W4000 and W4500 .Another very good Sony TV is Z4500(200hz refresh and picture processing).
Maybe the best 40'' LCD on the market right now is Philips 9803 but it's just too expensive.
Some one will say the Sony X series(the most expensive Sony series), but I wouldn't recomend 40'' X4500,because if you want this series from Sony you should choose 46'' or bigger screen(which have LED panel and absolutely mind blowing picture),the 40'' doesn't :)[/quote]
i can spend quite much. i rather wanna perfectly workin tv that i can keep till ps4 :snicker than a tv that will disappoint me.
[QUOTE="xXx-Tricky-xXx, post: 0]its this tv, i think... http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-ln32a450/4507-6482_7-32815310.html?tag=mncol;rnav

all i know is the delay was so bad i had to quit and just unhook my ps3 even tho i wanted to admire the hd, it was just unbearable.[/quote]
aww, that sux.

Jun 27, 2007
Then I would recomend Sony HDTV.The mentoened Philips model may have best picture ,but Philips LCD have bad reputation about their big input lag and I don't know how big is it in this model(9803).
Samsung are good TVs too but I never liked them,too high faulty percent

higgos22

Master Guru
Feb 8, 2009
[QUOTE="mushroomhead, post: 0]Then I would recomend Sony HDTV.The mentoened Philips model may have best picture ,but Philips LCD have bad reputation about their big input lag and I don't know how big is it in this model(9803).
Samsung are good TVs too but I never liked them,too high faulty percent[/quote]
my tv is phillips and its good and all just only problem is we've sent it into repair 2-3 times cus the screen just wont turn on it will stay black like tv black so its a lighter colour black, hasnt happened that often like i said 2-3 times or for a while now but sure is a nuisance

Jun 22, 2007
Have I been reading that if 3D gaming comes out for the PS3 you'll need a 120 hz tv to do it?

Just something to consider if true.

Not sure how it works but I'm thinking it'll display two images, a left and a right and alternate between them.

Anyone know anything about that?

rblover69

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2008
Im prob going to upgrade to a newer lcd 1080op with motion flow 120hz, because it just looked amazing in motion with a BR on it. But what really embarassed all was the new super flat samsung LED tvs, talk about stunning they really are a bar above LCDs from looking at them with a native 1080P movie, i was just awed.

OwnZilla

Elite Member
Jul 12, 2008
[QUOTE="Dragonfly, post: 0]nah, i heard that pics can burn into the tv and that's no good for fps hud or just the kz2 menu[/quote]

there is no such thing as 'burn', its called image retention, for example using a static image for a prolonged period e.g XMB

this can then be easily fixed with the use of a bright white colour on the screen and the burn will just disappear

tends to be more commonplace in LCD's actually now than plasmas

@ your recent post - the HZ won't make a great deal, sony make some fantastic sets so either 50 or 100 will do just fine

Apr 27, 2008
so a 32" with 60hz will be noticably different than one with 120hz? i guess im still not understanding hz and ms delay. again, sorry im stealing ur thread again (promise wont do it again).

Jun 22, 2007
The way I understand it is:

Hz is the number of times per second that a frame is displayed (drawn) on the screen. So 60 hz is 60 frames a second.

Ms delay is (I guess) milliseconds of delay from the input. So if you're gaming and you press x you won't see your character jump (or whatever) immediately. It's pretty much imperceptable as a millisecod is a thousandth of a second (1000 in every second) and the ms delay they talk about is around 5 depending on what you've got I think.

Hope that's right, it's how I understand it anyway.

[edit]Wrong about the 5 ms average delay.

http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246500

Apr 27, 2008
[QUOTE="Bostonmess, post: 0]The way I understand it is:

Hz is the number of times per second that a frame is displayed (drawn) on the screen. So 60 hz is 60 frames a second.

Ms delay is (I guess) milliseconds of delay from the input. So if you're gaming and you press x you won't see your character jump (or whatever) immediately. It's pretty much imperceptable as a millisecod is a thousandth of a second (1000 in every second) and the ms delay they talk about is around 5 depending on what you've got I think.

Hope that's right, it's how I understand it anyway.[/quote]

ah ok, thank you very much. although i dont understand how you can benefit from 120hz over 60hz since you cant really get any higher than 60 on any ps3 game that i know of, i understand it better now. i was worrying about the ms delay thing on some tvs since the one i tested on had that 1-2 second lag, but i guess even a 6ms is going to be unnoticeable if you think about it so i guess ill try looking for 120hz tvs unless its not really a big deal between 60 and 120.

Jun 22, 2007
Well, I'm not sure about it all but 120hz is desirable because it's smoother I suppose. I doubt many people would notice it though. I remember when monitors used to be less than 60hz and they said that it (the flickering) gave people headaches. It might still be the case with some people. Generally I presume it's recognized as the faster the better.

Also, I think I read about the PS3 being able to output at 120 hz a second and this was necessary of they were to introduce 3D gaming as it needed to alternate between two images (left and right) really fast 60hz each. With some magic polarized glasses this makes your brain think you are looking at a 3D image.

Remind us of your set up again.

Dragonfly

Teh Spamfather
Jan 13, 2009
[QUOTE="OwnZilla, post: 0]there is no such thing as 'burn', its called image retention, for example using a static image for a prolonged period e.g XMB

this can then be easily fixed with the use of a bright white colour on the screen and the burn will just disappear

tends to be more commonplace in LCD's actually now than plasmas

@ your recent post - the HZ won't make a great deal, sony make some fantastic sets so either 50 or 100 will do just fine[/quote]
thanx, your posts are very helpful.
[QUOTE="xXx-Tricky-xXx, post: 0]so a 32" with 60hz will be noticably different than one with 120hz? i guess im still not understanding hz and ms delay. again, sorry im stealing ur thread again (promise wont do it again).[/quote]
don't worry, you can ask questions too.
we can make this the "ask tv questions" thread :D

twilkinsonkgr

Dedicated Member
Nov 25, 2006
I idea is 120Hz is that films are shot in 24fps, so 24 fits into 120 5 times meaning that each image is shown for five refreshes of the screen. Whereas with 60Hz it only fits in 2.5 times, so one image is shown for 3 screen refreshes and one is shown for two

Apr 27, 2008
So should one worry about the Hz of the TV? It will be tough justifying spending a few hundred more dollars on 120hz over 60hz since most 500 dollar 32" tv's are all 60hz.

Dragonfly

Teh Spamfather
Jan 13, 2009
[QUOTE="ak41sp9, post: 0]Buy a Sony one.
You'd also want an HDMI cable[/quote]
yeah, sony owns :lol: and yeah, hdmi isn't too bad ;)