Google Streetview now covers 96% of Britain!

Shaunyac

Master Guru
Dec 24, 2007
Wayles.
In a massive update from Google, the street view function on their maps now covers an enormous amount of Britain, also included in the update are parts of Hong Kong and Macau.

Google have recorded images of a further 210,000 miles of roads, bringing the total to approximately 246,985 miles of coverage.

What are people's thought on this? I think it's a great tool and works really well on my android phone, especially when I am lost and direction/maps are not clear enough.

N

nulleduser

OMG I'm looking at my house right now! :lol:
Didn't know it'd been updated :lol:

I haven't seen the google car :(
It must have driven past whilst I was home though because there's 1/3 cars on the drive.

N

nulleduser

I just looked at my school and it was pre-fire so these must have been taken at least 6 months ago!

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
When I'm looking up the location of a place theres usually a truck in front of where I need to look, lol. But street view is perfect for someone who has to go to alot of random places for job interviews and such.

But can I just say how amazing Google maps is! I love it to bits, its one of the most amazing services on the internet, more so than YouTube. Google have really done it again with this service, it's like a mapped out Yellow Pages, if I need to search bars I type in bars and then what location to look around and up pops everything I need, details, phone numbers and sometimes even reviews by the general public of such venues.

Microsofts lame attempt at their map services can be flushed down the toilet for all I care, Google has already owned you. Again.

Shaunyac

Master Guru
Dec 24, 2007
Wayles.
The image quality has massively improved since they first started using Street view, also the 4% is probably very inaccessible areas although they have covered alot of the Scottish Highlands apparently, I can't imagine how much it's costing them in fuel alone, especially somewhere as expensive as Britain!

A few of my friends can be seen on it but the face and registration plate blurring software is pretty good, actually it's very good considering the number of things they do actually blur. I didn't see the car around my house either but it seems to have been here over a year ago now, only just finished blurring and collecting the database together.

jocomat9

Dedicated Member
Jan 12, 2008
Thats so funny cause i did this the other day and looked at my old and new house. I was freaked out man. Kinda scary though ehh

squirrelbo1

young rich and tasteless
Jul 27, 2008
London
have they updated the old photos or not. because on the original, my house has somebody walking out of my front door (think it was my mate) when the pic was taken.

Vip3r

Super Elite
Apr 22, 2007
[QUOTE="squirrelbo1, post: 0]have they updated the old photos or not. because on the original, my house has somebody walking out of my front door (think it was my mate) when the pic was taken.[/quote]

Some parts have been updated. But when you scroll along for a bigh they go back to being old again.

Zoibie

Supreme Veteran
Jun 18, 2006
Can't see anyone in the window of my house, although my sister was home when it was taken, her bright green car stands out a lot!

@Sess, yeah, some just like to cry wolf at the first sight of anything they can complain about

Shaunyac

Master Guru
Dec 24, 2007
Wayles.
Different parts seem to be taken at different times even within my small village, things like one smaller street could be a few months old and then a main street over from it is basically only a few weeks old.

Jun 24, 2006
in your pc
me.fbstj.net
[QUOTE="Shaunyac, post: 0]Different parts seem to be taken at different times even within my small village, things like one smaller street could be a few months old and then a main street over from it is basically only a few weeks old.[/quote]

yeah, they will chose bits with less people etc.