Grand theft auto 4 - Judging the graphics? (IGN PREVIEW)

inToxic

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2008
I feel personally that too many people are judging GTAIV's graphics too early. You've only seen screen stills and gameplay videos of very small amounts.

I read an IGN article that gives much more hope towards the full potential of this games realness/graphics that we havn't seen yet.

Some interesting points towards the look/feel of the game.

Kicking, and punching enemies while they're on the ground is both possible and effective. The meaty sound effects, the brutal attacks and the completely believable animations just felt right
then we shot the driver through the windscreen. While the 'Grand Theft Shotgun' technique described above was possible in previous GTA games, the level of cinematic style and shocking intensity GTAIV delivers is absolutely unprecedented.
blood to splatter across the inside of the windscreen (which was now riddled with tiny bullet holes) as the driver's body was knocked violently back in his seat before slumping forward with his head resting on the steering wheel, causing the car's horn to constantly blare away.
the booming thunder masked the sound of our first gunshots. Considering the staggering attention to detail evident throughout the game we really wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if this was the case.
On the cover system...
more effective than the similar techniques in Gears of War or Uncharted
no two actions will ever be exactly the same. Driving down the sidewalk will see pedestrians cartwheeling over the bonnet, being knocked sideways to slide along the road or diving out of the way in endless new and hilarious ways.
As you're sliding around corners you'll see the car's suspension reflecting the centre of balance shifting through the turn.
When collisions like this happen sparks will fly out, windows will shatter and you'll even be able to see Niko (and any other passengers' bodies) being flung around inside like a ragdoll. If you happen to hurtle into an oncoming car fast enough it's even possible to launch Niko out of the windscreen and onto the road.
The little pyromaniac in all of us will love the amazing new flame and explosion effects in GTAIV.
Source: http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/855/855785p1.html

My main point guys, is don't judge a book by it's cover. The screenshots aren't the best, but they will be (as they have in the past) using their alpha build for those screenshots. NOT the final quality for shipping.

The game isn't just millions of textures and polygons. Animations, explosions etc. are all just as important. Wait till you see it in action.

Sep 7, 2007
I think a lot of people will agree that the graphics may not set the bar, they will probably look pretty impressive when considering the scope of the entire game. I think until someone is sitting there, and has played through a good bit of the game - then I'll listen to their graphic complaints....especially when I am able to give the game a run too. But these graphics could be pretty ****ty and I still wouldn't complain....to be honest, from what I've seen of this game - my graphical "appetite" will be filled, I'm certain!

Sep 12, 2005
As long as the game is not a pop up mess when it is released then I'm OK with that. One thing that bothered me about old GTA's has been the massive frame drop that would happen when their is a lot of gun fights/ explosions going on. If they can keep everything steady then I will be happy.

[velocity]

Master Poster
Dec 1, 2006
Omg, those news are unbelievable! I can't wait to drive some gangsta-mofos down with ragdoll physics!!! :mrgreen:
Graphics matter no more.

Roman007

Dedicated Member
Sep 19, 2007
GTA has never been about the graphics, its been about the story, and sandbox environment. If you wanted to fly from one side of the map to the other, you could, with little load times (ps2 mind you) To do that you had to have lower graphics.

I hate the "graphics suck" its A GAME, not a MOVIE. gameplay is a HUGE part of a game. Story adds to that gameplay, graphics are only a part of it.

Sep 10, 2007
I wasn't expecting the graphics to be "Uncharted" or "Crysis" level. None of the previous GTA's were and I liked them all. I'm sure the graphics are gonna be great.

Dec 31, 2007
If R* has to sacrifice graphics for scope and story like they've always done, fine with me. Then again for me though, the best upgrade (graphic-wise) they've managed so far is getting rid of the "Lobster Claw Hands", LoL!

Me Myself and I

Superior Member
Dec 11, 2006
...all that and the graphics are still ugly.

Anyone notice that when visuals in a game are good, you don't need a thread to try and convince people of the obvious? Well most of the GTA4 threads I see on the net are all about making excuses for this game's graphics. Obviously they don't speak for themselves or threads like this would not be necessary.

Jan 13, 2006
United States
[QUOTE="Me Myself and I, post: 0]...all that and the graphics are still ugly.

Anyone notice that when visuals in a game are good, you don't need a thread to try and convince people of the obvious? Well most of the GTA4 threads I see on the net are all about making excuses for this game's graphics. Obviously they don't speak for themselves or threads like this would not be necessary.[/QUOTE]

I know...

Why is there thread after thread about GTA's graphics? GTA has never ever had groundbreaking graphics.

Never.

Just play the game and be happy.

Zatoichi

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2006

Anyone notice that when visuals in a game are good, you don't need a thread to try and convince people of the obvious? Well most of the GTA4 threads I see on the net are all about making excuses for this game's graphics. Obviously they don't speak for themselves or threads like this would not be necessary.[/QUOTE]
Not really. Regardless of whether it's justified or not, people will justify it. Even if everybody on this board knew there was good reason for the graphics not to be the best in the industry, they would still make threads like this and people would all share their unanimous opinions. Threads like this, regardless of necessity, would occur.

That being said, it's justified. It's not like a company like Rockstar isn't thinking of every god**** way possible to optimize the game. You add this, you have to take away that, etc. In a perfect world, we could just say "okay, yeah, let's make the graphics better", and it would happen. It doesn't work that way. You have to work with system limitations. When you have a game like GTA with supposedly no load times (ABSOLUTE streaming), sacrifices have to be made.

Zatoichi

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2006

Not really. Regardless of whether it's justified or not, people will justify it. Even if everybody on this board knew there was good reason for the graphics not to be the best in the industry, they would still make threads like this and people would all share their unanimous opinions. Threads like this, regardless of necessity, would occur.

That being said, it's justified. It's not like a company like Rockstar isn't thinking of every god**** way possible to optimize the game. You add this, you have to take away that, etc. In a perfect world, we could just say "okay, yeah, let's make the graphics better", and it would happen. It doesn't work that way. You have to work with system limitations. When you have a game like GTA with supposedly no load times (ABSOLUTE streaming), sacrifices have to be made. That is, especially with such random and intelligent AI dispersed amongst every NPC in large crowds.

Dec 22, 2007
[QUOTE="iToke, post: 0]I think a lot of people will agree that the graphics may not set the bar, they will probably look pretty impressive when considering the scope of the entire game. I think until someone is sitting there, and has played through a good bit of the game - then I'll listen to their graphic complaints....especially when I am able to give the game a run too. But these graphics could be pretty ****ty and I still wouldn't complain....to be honest, from what I've seen of this game - my graphical "appetite" will be filled, I'm certain![/quote]

thats how some of the good PS2 games went down hill.:cry:

Dec 31, 2007

Anyone notice that when visuals in a game are good, you don't need a thread to try and convince people of the obvious? Well most of the GTA4 threads I see on the net are all about making excuses for this game's graphics. Obviously they don't speak for themselves or threads like this would not be necessary.[/quote]

So THATS why I never see any threads trying to justify how good GTA's game play is!

EVILPS3

Master Poster
Jul 3, 2007
Wow a GTAIV graphics thread not attacking the graphics. I'm getting this game regardless GTA has never been about graphics so anything i don't expect will be a bonus.
+Rep for you

Aug 12, 2007
Really good compilation of quotes, nice job on that man. But i've said it before and I'll say it again now, I'm more of a gameplay man, and I know that even if GTA doesn't deliver graphical brilliance, the gameplay will be top notch and downright fun.

X

xPyro

I remember reading that article/preview. Got me all hyped up again :)

I still think their releasing old screens we haven't seen or downgrading the graphics for them so we're blown away when we see the game in action x)

Mar 9, 2008
Hasn't most of the graphical reviews been about the Xbox360 version of GTAIV anyway.. which gives no bearing on what the PS3 version will be like.. preordered the game ages ago anyway.. and am looking forward to it..

phalanges

Dedicated Member
Feb 18, 2007
If the game is technically sound with decent graphical leap for last gen. I'll be happy with it. Just want to play through the story. Looks interesting.

mavsman4457

Dedicated Member
Jul 11, 2006
[QUOTE="a quote by inToxic, post: 0]
no two actions will ever be exactly the same.
[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, having played games that tout this feature I find it laughable. First of all, that's just not even reasonable let alone possible. Second of all, on a DVD? I mean, come on. Maybe they won't be the same down to the very pixel they take place on but aside from that, this just won't happen. I am sure that this is going to be an awesome game and it'll be a bunch of fun but let's just admit it, the graphics do suck. But don't become defensive because games can have crappy graphics and be incredible.

inToxic

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2008
[QUOTE="mavsman4457, post: 0]Hahaha, having played games that tout this feature I find it laughable. First of all, that's just not even reasonable let alone possible. Second of all, on a DVD? I mean, come on. Maybe they won't be the same down to the very pixel they take place on but aside from that, this just won't happen. I am sure that this is going to be an awesome game and it'll be a bunch of fun but let's just admit it, the graphics do suck. But don't become defensive because games can have crappy graphics and be incredible.[/quote]

Have you seen the Euphoria engine in action? It's absolutely amazing and it does what they say it does. Not just will no two actions be the same, but the general weight and realism (the physics) are 10x better than any game seen yet. Currently only GTAIV, Indiana Jones and Star Wars games are the only ones using it.

...all that and the graphics are still ugly.

Anyone notice that when visuals in a game are good, you don't need a thread to try and convince people of the obvious? Well most of the GTA4 threads I see on the net are all about making excuses for this game's graphics. Obviously they don't speak for themselves or threads like this would not be necessary.
Dude, why enter a conversation with no intent to listen, and just say your peice anyway? Is your ego that large?

What everyone is trying to do, not make excuses but tell all the impatient, rude assholes judging the game before it's release that a couple of compressed videos and screens on the net from a pre-alpha (not final copy) will not show you what the graphics in the final game will look like. So please don't judge them until you try them.

"Don't judge the book by its cover"

Me Myself and I

Superior Member
Dec 11, 2006
^^^ You are the pot trying to call the kettle black. If I (and many others) who think GTA4's visuals barely look next-gen are judging the book by its cover before the final game is complete, aren't you doing the exact same thing with this thread?! You post a bunch of hype quotes giving the look of the game a positive spin. How nice for you and the fans. That still doesn't fool the rest of us who look at it and see crappy graphics. Period.

Before you go on a rant about someone jumping to conclusions on an early build, look in the mirror first buddy before posting your own french kisses on that same early build. You want to talk about egos, how fragile is your ego that you have to attack someone because they don't see the awesomeness of GTA4's graphics that you seem impressed with? Internet news flash: not everyone who responds to your threads will agree with you. I criticize the game, you criticize me... think about how silly that is. :rolleyes:

inToxic

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2008
This thread, has quotes from IGN who have played the game. They've seen the game in it's highest quality playing on a TV. The pictures etc. you've seen on the net are not a true justification of the game.

And thanks for the heads up, I thought everyone would just immediately agree with me I had no idea people would disagree with me. Lucky someone superior such as yourself came along to teach me a lesson.

Basically, I'm posting my opinion and so are you. All I'm trying to show is that people have played the game love the graphics, and the people who have seen screens and videos on the net are judging the game without seeing it in action. You can't tell everything from the screenshots.

And surprisingly, when you come in here and attack my point of view when I'm just trying to inform everyone, I'm not going to agree with you. What do you know, people on teh intranets forums don't always agree, you must have been right.

progz

Superior Member
Jul 13, 2007
New York
i dont care about the graphics. i always loved the gta series. this is a buy for me no matter how good it looks...

im sooo pumped for it! :D