Grandia III Impressions/US release date confirmed

Oct 30, 2005
Square Enix has announced that the North American release date of Grandia III will be February 14, 2006. Grandia III is developed by GameArts.
source: http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1039.html

Great news for everyone in the US now I want some news about the Europe release date. Come on Squenix spill your guts out, tell us all!

Here are some pics for those who haven't discovered this RPG yet. All I can say is this game looks beautiful.

Here is also an preview of the game itself:

January 20, 2006 - It's been a long time coming, but Square Enix's English translation of Grandia III is almost finished. Luckily, we got our hands on a 95% completed version of the game earlier this week and based on what we've sampled thus far, it looks like it's going to be really, really good.

Now if you played 2002's offshoot Grandia Xtreme, worry not: this is a much different game. Instead of just repeating the combat-heavy structure of the last title, Grandia III takes the best elements of the Saturn original and its follow-up and updates them for the modern market. In other words, Grandia III isn't the warring dungeon-crawler you may remember.

In fact, the title's story-leaning pace certainly allows you to enjoy the combat system without fearing for your life at every turn. If you've ever seen the well-received Grandia II, you'll recognize this setup almost immediately. If you're a more recent RPG gamer, however, then think of the encounters as something along the lines of Radiata Stories -- where enemies stroll around the map and need to be attacked to be destroyed (alternatively, they can come after you too)

Once combat has been initiated, Grandia's unique "Wheel Command" system comes into play. It's actually a pretty straightforward gameplay mechanic: At the top left-hand side of the screen is the skirmish's IP gauge (it looks kind of like a compass). This device decides the other of battle dependant on the position of each character's icon and when the gauge's arrow swings past the COM (Command Entry) area an attack type may be selected. That command won't be carried out, though, until the selected character's arrow swings into the ACT (Command Execution) area afterward.

But what kind of commands can people pull off? It's your basic RPG fare, but there's a lot of them -- Combos (hit the enemy several times), Criticals (stun an enemy with one big attack), Aerial Combos (a volleyball-like two-character tandem attack), Item (self-explanatory), Strategy (allows you to set and automate your ally AI), Flee (run away), and Defend (block) are just a few of the things you can do in the heat of battle. If players want to test their luck they can also use magic spells, special character-specific ultra moves, and use weapons ala Dragon Quest VIII. There are other cool little things to consider in the midst of a battle too... such as using secret methods not initially available on the command wheel, understanding your basic elemental alignment tables, and figuring out which enemies to prioritize in your strikes first.

Believe it or not, the system is actually pretty fast and intuitive despite its rather complicated description. But I do have to admit that in the battles so far, enemies aren't very aggressive... or at least not, yet. Though the foes I've come up against are varied and plentiful, so that's something.

But what about the story that sets this battle system up? Basically, the whole thing starts out with the dream of main character Yuki. An aspiring teenage pilot, Yuki has idolized the first man to cross the ocean in an aircraft his whole life, and is determined to build his own plane to become the second. Of course, Yuki is only 16, so he's building his plane in secret with his best friend and Rotts with plenty of criticism his female companion Miranda.

One night Yuki decides to chance fate and test his airplane over the skies of Anfog Village, and wouldn't you know it? It works! Unfortunately, the craft doesn't go as high as it's supposed to and that's all thanks to the extra weight of the complaining stowaway Miranda. As the two bicker over the skies, however, they spot a beautiful young medium being chased by angry horse-riding soldiers. Yuki tries to save the young Communicator (but not before accidentally taking the plane down in flames along the way) and is quickly thrown into the midst of a much bigger adventure when he joins Alfina (that's her name) on a quest to discover the truth about her missing brother. The rest of the story I'll leave for another time, but it goes without saying that danger, romance, and lots of sexual tension is in Yuki's future.

One element of Grandia III that's really impressed me thus far is its excellent visuals. Though not presented in widescreen or progressive scan like some of Square Enix's other modern RPGs, it looks absolutely beautiful. The texture detail is terrific and the game has some of the best interior designs I've seen in a PlayStation 2 for quite some time. The art direction is brilliant too with environments absolutely full of color and an interesting look that doesn't quite match anything else. I'm also a big fan of the voice acting -- it's highly professional and easily rivals Kingdom Hearts and Radiata Stories.

So far, I'm really getting into Grandia III as it has the heavy characterization and personality that I always enjoy in my RPGs. My only concern is that it could get too heavy, and that fans will have to sit through dozens of minutes of talking and cutscenes before actually getting to play (which describes the early moments of the game to a tee). I'll let you know how it turns out for sure when it's released next month.
Source: http://ps2.ign.com/articles/681/681997p1.html

I don't know about you but I really like the look of this game. I haven't played the last two but Grandia III looks like it has the potential to be a great game. This is now on my ever extensive list of RPGs I want: Final Fantasy XII, Rogue Galaxy, Dragon Quest VIII, Wild Arms 4, FFVII: Dirge Of Cerberus, Valkyrie Profile Lenneth and now Grandia III!!

CashMoney

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2005
Looks like a more detailed Star Ocean... which is a plus!

Seems like Square is testing the waters with encounters/combat systems anymore... Random Encounters with Turn based combat, or Choosen encounters with turnbased combat, OR Chosen encounters with real-time encounters, ORRRR Random encounters with Real-time combat... whew...

But this should be a great game, if it's rooted to the other two Grandia's... the "wheel" system seems interesting at that as well...

At the very least, this will hold me over till KHII in late march...

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
Yea I have Grandia II. It had some potential (pretty good story and great battle system) but I felt with the bad graphics and lack of voice acting, that it was hampered a bit. Since the 3rd one is coming out 7 years later it will have much better graphics and more voice acting. So in result I will buy this game. I am only getting three more games for PS2 before PS3 launches. (Grandia 3, Final Fantasy 12, BLACK)

Zero_

Superior Member
Dec 19, 2005
The original Grandia was one of my favourite games of all time, mainly due to it's battle system and story. Jane off 1UP seems to love it, so I'm eagerly awaiting this one.

Steroyd

Elite Sage
Jun 17, 2005
Grandia 2 didn't even touch the storyline of the first one, and wasn't even half as long.

in some respects Grandia 2 was a disapointment, the special attacks you do were out of synch of what the character was saying.... and so on.

looks to be the best grandia game going, hopefully it will make me feel sad that i actually complete it like the first one did.

...providing it hits European shores.

Mael Duin

Elite Sage
Sep 12, 2005
Grandia 2 seemed to be some kind of Grandia 1 ripoff. It was good game nevertheless. Ryudo was very entertaining hero for first half of the game, then they ruined him and turned him into little angel who will save the world blaa blaa.

I have heard rumours that Grandia 3 isn't coming to Europe. I hope these rumours are wrong ._.

Fedos

Master Guru
Feb 21, 2005
Oh man, here we go! I love me some Grandia! I have both Grandia the original (which I'm replaying now) and also Grandia 2. Grandia's 2's battle system and story in my opinion are stellar. The only battle system I feel that is better than Grandia 2's is Shadow Heart's: Covenants and also perhaps Final Fantasy Tactics' and a game for the Saturn called Dragon Force (which Sega is remaking by the way).

Like you, Mael Duin, I think Ryudo was great but I was also very fond of Millenia. The game gets a lot of flack from some however. A lot of people on an rpg forum I frequent don't like how the game takes a sort of "the power of humanity" trip toward the end, sort of like how Mael Duin described, but I had no problems with it. There were several twists and turns in the story (my main attraction to rpgs) that I didn't see coming in the slightest so hopefully Game Arts can replicate that with Grandia 3.

I will most definitely be getting this game day and date on release, as I haven't played a recent rpg since...well, it's been a long time, as I didn't purchase Romancing Saga (something I wanted to do) or Dragon Quest VIII. So Square Enix can most definitely sign me up for some Grandia 3 goodness.

MavSkipper

Dedicated Member
Dec 11, 2005
teh UKz
msmav.blogspot.com
i'll definitely get Grandia 3 when it comes out next month

i've played the 3 previous titles and they were all good rpg's especially the first one but except Grandia Xtreme.. which is too repetitive in battle aswell as in the storyline (town -> dungeon -> kill boss -> back to the same town -> repeat).... what a disappointment

i better finish up Dragon Quest 8 soon :)

Nov 13, 2005
I have been looking at this game for a while and I think I will get it. I don't know if I should wait to hear the price for the PS3 first though. What do you guys think?

PS - I never played any of the grandia series so I have nothing to base my purchase on. If you want to give slight reviews of the first two and how much this one is like them or just what you think of this one with respect to the first two, by all means, tell on.

Sep 28, 2005
I'm big fan of RPG games, Iwill pick this up when it release in US. This going be my frist Grandia game. Since I never played Grandia I & II, does the story continued from Grandia II, or completely different story.

Oct 30, 2005
I think it is a completely new story, thats one reason why I want to get this. I haven't played the last two or three games so if it was a continuation then I wouldn't give it a second glance. But game looks really good and I'm liking the combat system. I really like the old turn based system of Final Fantasy, and this looks like a similar hybrid, just a lot quicker paced. Thats the impression I got.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
Ya I felt Grandia 2 didn't have a real compelling story that made you want to keep playing like FFX did. Hopefully that changes with this game.

Tobian

Master Poster
Dec 19, 2005
Another great RPG from the looks of it. If it'll be released in the U.S. next month, that means it can't be too long now before we'll see it here in Europe. Maybe a few month or so, don't you think?

DQVIII, FFXII, Kingdom Heart II and now this game that looks really promising too.
Mmmm … yeah, time, where can I buy it? :p

Zero_

Superior Member
Dec 19, 2005
Oh man... this is plain ridiculous, Square-Enix. -_-

I'm half way through Final Fantasy X, which I need to complete. I'm 32 minutes into Dragon Quest VIII and I need to reserve time for Kingdom Hearts 2 and Final Fantasy XII!

Oct 30, 2005
I know how you feel Zero_ I have so many titles to get through and so many more I want to get. I've got plenty to keep me busy until PS3 comes out. Square Enix seem to have been holding all their games back for the end of PS2's life span.

The_Only

Forum Sage
Feb 9, 2004
www.rebelreading.tk
Right, this feature is now official and underway.

See my earlier thread for details. To cut a long story short this feature will be released in parts to coincide with Resident Evil 5's release in March, so it's a long way off yet.

The_Only

Forum Sage
Feb 9, 2004
www.rebelreading.tk
I finally had time to do some proper work on this Saturday. Things have been pretty crazy the last few weeks with moving, plus i'm so busy with editing/news in the day that i've had almost no time to get on with this.

Now i've hit a stride this should come along nicely.

The_Only

Forum Sage
Feb 9, 2004
www.rebelreading.tk
I spoke with Seb last night in detail about a number of topics relating to PSU, and during our conversation, he suggested that I should do this as one big feature. Among the reasons include the fact it will be easier to put up on Digg and promote elsewhere.

Either way, it doesn't affect the piece itself -- I can split it up, or keep it together without compromising the quality of the article.

Ultimately we'll wait and see nearer the time, as it won't go up until March to coincide with RE5's release.

The_Only

Forum Sage
Feb 9, 2004
www.rebelreading.tk
From the way this is going it's going to be too large for a single feature, despite Seb wanting it to be released as a single piece for easier promotion.

I've only just covered the intro, RE1, RE: Dash and RE 1.5 and i'm on page six. I've got a long way to go before it's done.

What I hope to do is go back once it's finished and trim some of the fat, although I don't want to compromise it -- if I have to release it in parts to maintain the quality, then I will do so.

The_Only

Forum Sage
Feb 9, 2004
www.rebelreading.tk
I knew about this earlier in the week but didn't really give it much attention, as they're usually pretty poor. However, this one seems to be quite in-depth.

Still, i'm not going to let this put me off. I've worked hard on my own version and it would be silly to waste all the knowledge I have on the series just because GameTrailers decided to beat me to it. These days, alot of sites have their own interpretation of content, it happens.

However, I just hope people don't assume i've copied them, because that WOULD piss me off. I've been a fan for 12 years nearly, all my knowledge is just that -- my own.

B

BustenRhymes7790

That's what I'm saying. People are irrational. Put somewhere in there (if you haven't already) how much of an RE nerd/aficionado you are :lol: .

The_Only

Forum Sage
Feb 9, 2004
www.rebelreading.tk
Two more games to write, a couple of tweaks/additions here and there, then i'm done. I'll be working on it alot more in the day this week so it'll be done by the weekend.

One thing I will say is that it's been quite diffcult to maintain a consistent quality throughout, having never written a piece as lenghty as this (my RE:CV guide doesn't count as that's substantially different to a piece such as this)