Graphics Card Help

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
What's good, folk. Looking to get a graphics card and needed some help. I'm Poor, and definitely not a part of PC Master Race. However, I do want to start gaming on my PC just for a change of pace. I don't have a lot to spend because again, I'm poor. lol I'm looking for a budget card. Anywhere between $80-$130. I don't need 100 frames per second and 4K output with HDR (Even though my young ass LCD monitor couldn't handle it anyway lol) Just something that is in the middle. Not fraudulent, but not elite either if that makes sense. Here is my PC specs currently.

Mobo: Asus M5A 78L-MUSB3
AMD Fx 6300 Six-core processor 3.50 GHZ
8GBs RAM (Might go up to 16GB, but not in a hurry)
1TB HDD

Was looking at this card
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-nvi...0-graphics-card-black/6164149.p?skuId=6164149

Thoughts on this? Also, if you decide to help it must be known that my monitor is run off VGA port. (-_-) So yeah, card needs to have that or link me to a converter that works. Thanks for the help, PSU. Always know how to look out for a real one. :D

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
Don't waste your time with that card.

RX 460
GTX 1050

Both of those can be had for $120 or less and will offer more than double the performance of the 730 for less than double the cost should do1080p 60FPS in games like CS:GO, Overwatch and DOTA 2.

You can get DVI to VGA cords. Plug DVI end into card then VGA into monitor.

Last edited:

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6525110]Don't waste your time with that card.

RX 460
GTX 1050

Both of those can be had for $120 or less and will offer more than double the performance of the 730 for less than double the cost should do1080p 60FPS in games like CS:GO, Overwatch and DOTA 2.

You can get DVI to VGA cords. Plug DVI end into card then VGA into monitor.[/QUOTE]

This is why you're the real MVP my nig. Thank you lots. I'll take a look at both cards.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="$Greatness$, post: 6525113]This is why you're the real MVP my nig. Thank you lots. I'll take a look at both cards.[/QUOTE]
Not that this is a recommendation to not get one over the other, but something merely for consideration.

With the FX chips, you may find picking the Nvidia card will give you what you are paying for. AMD's drivers are quite single threaded (there is some bitter irony here) and their FX chips don't have the best IPC, meaning they rely more on their multiple cores for performance. This impacts the driver when preparing graphics tasks for the GPU.

Nvidia's drivers work nice with multiple cores, and so don't have this issue.

It's not exactly 'game breaking', and this doesn't imply the AMD drivers run terribly, but if the difference between the two is close, perhaps consider picking the Nvidia card for your specific set-up as you'll yield more performance for your money. If the Nvidia card cannot be found as cheap, then AMD will have to suffice.

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6525126]Not that this is a recommendation to not get one over the other, but something merely for consideration.

With the FX chips, you may find picking the Nvidia card will give you what you are paying for. AMD's drivers are quite single threaded (there is some bitter irony here) and their FX chips don't have the best IPC, meaning they rely more on their multiple cores for performance. This impacts the driver when preparing graphics tasks for the GPU.

Nvidia's drivers work nice with multiple cores, and so don't have this issue.

It's not exactly 'game breaking', and this doesn't imply the AMD drivers run terribly, but if the difference between the two is close, perhaps consider picking the Nvidia card for your specific set-up as you'll yield more performance for your money. If the Nvidia card cannot be found as cheap, then AMD will have to suffice.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely adhere to that. PSU is still amazing.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
I think the 1050 might be the better option, just have to check the benchmarks for performances. Does it only having 2GB cause it to suffer?

Last edited:

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6525133]I think the 1050 might be the better option, just have to check the benchmarks for performances. Does it only having 2GB cause it to suffer?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't think so. And like I said, I'm not looking to get 10 million frames a second and all that stuff PC Master Race would look for. I just need a solid working budget card until I get right.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="$Greatness$, post: 6525167]I wouldn't think so. And like I said, I'm not looking to get 10 million frames a second and all that stuff PC Master Race would look for. I just need a solid working budget card until I get right.[/QUOTE]
Sorry to say it, but you are a part of the PC race now my friend.