Graphics problem - Hardware? *UPDATED WITH MORE INFO AND NOW WITH VIDEOS*

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
I cant tell if this is hardware or software but I am having major graphics issues when playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Most of the time the screen flickers red and green or even blue when in places where the items move - doors, bridges, etc...(kind of like in old cartoons when you knew the rock in the desert was going to move because it was a different color than the rest of the landscape...) Anyway - I havent noticed this in any of the other games (Warhawk, PSN Downloaded games, Resistance) but I cant help feeling like its some sort of hardware issue. Are there some settings that I might have messed with that might be causing this?

I am using the HDMI cable into my 2006 model 32" Bravia television. I am at a loss as to what to do here.

EDIT:

here is the video with the HDMI connection. It gets really bad right around the 1 minute mark in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/v/83XxxaasSEM

as you can see, I wiggled the cable and removed it to no avail. This was before I tried it on the Formula One CE game (which did much the same thing on the track area and in some of the rears of the cars.)

And here it is on composite video cable:

http://www.youtube.com/v/_7Zf4Wc6VHE

Sorry for the crappy camera quality, I didnt want to have to take video from the video camera so I jsut did it on the still camera with the video option. Its grainy, but you can definitely see that something is wrong here.

UPDATE #2 : I have now had suggestions that it could be the TV that is causing the imagin issues. I will try it on another TV but can anyone here tell me if they think its the TV or not from watching the videos? I guess it could be, but why would the problem occur on both the HDMI and Composite video connections? Also, wouldn't the entire screen flicker, not just the areas that you see in the video? Any help you guys can muster would be much appreciated.

Mo-thug

Dedicated Member
Oct 12, 2005
it might be the game, i think its because the game was really an update over the old ninja gaiden that was out on the first xbox, and they just revamped the visuals and made it more high definition

INFLAMED

Superior Member
Nov 30, 2006
i think its the game if it only happens in that game. If not then its your cable. To check if its your cables.. use composites and check if it still flickers red, blue or green

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
[QUOTE="Mo-thug, post: 0]it might be the game, i think its because the game was really an update over the old ninja gaiden that was out on the first xbox, and they just revamped the visuals and made it more high definition[/quote]

I would like to think that its just the game, but its pretty bad, its not just a little flicker, it A LOT and I figure that if this were happening because of the game, then everyone would be mentioning it....and it only recently started happening in chapter 6 or so of the game. i dont know...i just dont want my PS3 to be going to **** on me. I wish that I knew someone else with one that I could test it out on.

stovich

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2005
Or, you can just go rent it and load your game up from the rental disc. If it fixes your problem, simply return the "rental" ;) and enjoy your flicker-free game. Victimless crime, really.

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
[QUOTE="stovich, post: 0]Or, you can just go rent it and load your game up from the rental disc. If it fixes your problem, simply return the "rental" ;) and enjoy your flicker-free game. Victimless crime, really.[/quote]

OOOOOH! Thats a thought. Game FLy here I come!

W

Wearevenom1

Yeah unless you have a seriously flawed copy of that game then its not the game.

I have played through it about 12 times now and I never noticed anything even remotely close to that.

Jan 5, 2006
NGS runs in 1080p, right? Have you tried other 1080p titles? I assume your TV isn't a 1080p Bravia. Check your PS3 display settings and make sure only 720p and downwards are checked.

Hope that works :)

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
Its a 720p/1080i tv. I was thinking that it could be some settings somewhere....I will have to finagle with it later tonight and see because it is really starting to bug me.

coolguy

Ultimate Veteran
May 24, 2005
long island ny
i have ninja gaiden and i have not had any problems with the game disc.
if it only happens to this game and not the other.. its the game.
so take it back and get a new disc..

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
[QUOTE="coolguy, post: 0]i have ninja gaiden and i have not had any problems with the game disc.
if it only happens to this game and not the other.. its the game.
so take it back and get a new disc..[/quote]

Will they let you trade in like that? I may as well just get it from Gamefly and not have to deal with the hassle of going to the store and trying to convince some Gamestop employee that my copy is bunk.

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
So yeah - its my hardware. I tested it with F1 CE tonight and it does the same thing. It does it with HDMI and it does it with the composite cable. I have video of it and am uploading it to YouTube for all to see. This is NOT cool. Next test is to see if it does it when the system is cold or just when its been on awhile (which is almost always becuase I run folding at home when I am not playing a game). More in a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/v/83XxxaasSEM

as you can see, I wiggled the cable and removed it to na avail. This was before I tried it on the Formula One CE game (which did much the same thing on the track area and in some of the rears of the cars.)

And here it is on Composite video:

http://www.youtube.com/v/_7Zf4Wc6VHE

Sorry for the crappy camera quality, I didnt want to have to take video from the video camera so I jsut did it on the still camera with the video option. Its grainy, but you can definitely see that something is wrong here.

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
Does anyone know how the Gamestop replacement program works? I bought that for 60 bucks when I picked this thing up at launch. If I take it in, will they just give me a new one?

K

Katfish711

If they do the same thing as EB Games (and I think they do), YES they will need a copy of your original receipt showing both the PS3 and extended warranty purchases.

You show it to them. They go to their stock and pull a brand new box out. They take the broken/defective and you take the new one home.

I did this with my first PSP. I dropped it and it landed on the wi-fi switch, breaking it so that it would not switch on again. I got a brand new PSP from EB the same afternoon after going thru the above.

-katfish

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
[QUOTE="Katfish711, post: 0]If they do the same thing as EB Games (and I think they do), YES they will need a copy of your original receipt showing both the PS3 and extended warranty purchases.

You show it to them. They go to their stock and pull a brand new box out. They take the broken/defective and you take the new one home.

I did this with my first PSP. I dropped it and it landed on the wi-fi switch, breaking it so that it would not switch on again. I got a brand new PSP from EB the same afternoon after going thru the above.

-katfish[/quote]

I wonder if they will let me take my hard drive? Otherwise, I am going out to get a copy of Ghost and a SATA port for my pc so I back the sucker up and not have to do any downloading/reinstalling when I get it.

Question: Is GTHD still on the PSN store?

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
[QUOTE="ex-nihilo7, post: 0]Well you should probably try playing it on a different tv first before you do anything.[/quote]

You think it could be the TV? Hmmmmmm....I wouldnt think so, as it is very defined as to where the problems are taking place, its not like its the whole screen that is having the problem. Also, the tv doesnt have any problems with any other inputs that I use...but I will try it just to be sure.