Graphics Resources, Inspiration and Advice

Feb 2, 2009
Australia
This thread needs some more material.

Here is a quick overview of the adjustments I used for my Last of Us sig. Most of this is childsplay for the vets, but the newer guys might learn something.

Without adjustments

1. Hue/Saturation - Old Style Preset

2. Gradient - Violet to Orange, Lighten 35%

3. Exposure - Slightly increased the Offset setting

4. Curves - to Adjust the lighting and shadows (very subtle difference)

5. Selective Colour - Played with the Green and Cyan settings (again, its subtle but you will notice the fractals look less bright.)

6. Gradient - Black & White, Hue 50%

7. Burn Tool, Soft Brush 100% Exposure - used on the C4Ds to create shadow/depth and to bring out my focal some more.

8. Sharpen, reduced Transprency to 80%

9. High Pass, Soft Light 27% - erased everything but the focal, makes it stand out some more. Honestly, I could have increased the transprency some more to make it more noticable.

From Start to Finish:

spyrde

Master Guru
Feb 18, 2009
Finland
[QUOTE="Cybertox, post: 5985382]Does somebody know any good metal border tutorials? I wasnt able to find any decent ones.[/QUOTE]

You could just cut out parts from a picture like this to make your border:

spyrde

Master Guru
Feb 18, 2009
Finland
[QUOTE="Cybertox, post: 5985462]Yeah i could but thats not really what i am looking for. I need a smooth metal border frame.[/QUOTE]

I'll try and help you with this but I kinda need to visualize what you want. Do you have any examples on something similar?

Cybertox

Forum Guru
Dec 28, 2009
Switzerland
First of all i use Photoshop CS6, i need a border out of metal which is going to match a weapon. Like a dark smooth metal border or a militaristic one but without those camouflage patterns. I saw some tutorials but those were more kind of a futuristic ones.

Itachi

Forum Sage
Nov 13, 2010
Winterfell
Can some pros here do a displace tutorial? I've only used it once and that was by a fluke. Now every time I try it in gimp it doesn't let me choose the correct displace layer. I mean I can select the layer I want displaced, but not the layer I want to use in the drop down menu. hope wat I'm saying makes sense :snicker

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Photoshop and Gimp are the two main editors

gimp can be downloaded for free http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
photoshop cost quite a bit though.

i use photoshop because its an easier program to use. i would also say its the more powerful program....but if you're a good enough artist the differences don't amount to much ;)

Kuro

Elite Sage
Jan 30, 2012
Ore no Sekai
Your lappy will handle it I use gimp on mine. I actually perfer it then PS. Just preferences I've only used cs4 before.
Gimps not hard just watch a couple tutorials. Dl some brush, c4d and font packs and get to it! :)

Sylar

Elite Sage
Aug 30, 2008
UK
if you want different style fonts for your sigs i would definitely recommend dafont.com, so many on there it's mad :D

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
the design squad hold SOTW competitions, when you feel up for it, you should try submitting entries. :D

plus, its an awesome place to get ideas and see what others are doing with the set topics.
a good place to get feedback too ;)

Jan 2, 2013
Birmingham
[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6049700]the design squad hold SOTW competitions, when you feel up for it, you should try submitting entries. :D

plus, its an awesome place to get ideas and see what others are doing with the set topics.
a good place to get feedback too ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeh been looking through mate. I want to get into graphic design or something.

solid_sneek

Jan 2, 2013
Birmingham
I know a graphic designer and he does a lot of freelance work. I'm currently working full time but wouldn't mind getting into this myself, I'm not a total noob iv used like photoshop and stuff and using renders. I just wondered what was the best way To get into it starting off? I Was looking at part time courses but can't think what software id use tbh.

solid_sneek

Nov 21, 2013
man i downloaded gimp its bloody hard to learn :(
i need brushes and blahhh

googled some basic guides/tutorials but if anyone knows of any feel free to recomend i'm a total noob (my skills are limited to paint) :/

defined terminology? render, c4d, brush...... when u dont know anything and they throw words at you its not great.