GT:HD question

mobbology

Superior Member
Jan 27, 2007
Will the new GT:HD have DAMAGE???

i been playing Forza recently (preparing myself for Forza 2) and noticed some new features that im not accustomed to like engine swapping and damage. It would be great if GT:HD would incorporate those ideas, well at least damage and how it will affect drivability.

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
[QUOTE="mobbology, post: 0]Will the new GT:HD have DAMAGE???

i been playing Forza recently (preparing myself for Forza 2) and noticed some new features that im not accustomed to like engine swapping and damage. It would be great if GT:HD would incorporate those ideas, well at least damage and how it will affect drivability.[/quote]

Ineed thoes are cool features, but i feel they would distract away fome the [pure simulation] of the game. GT is plenty long enough without worring about that stuff in your carrer.

banjo7

Elite Member
Nov 22, 2006
Yeah because in real life if you crash into a wall you bounce off and then carry on driving with no damage to your car.
In real life you can go into a corner at 100mph then bounce off the wall and drive off to get a better time.

GT is the worst sim ive ever played.

I love the GT series but theres no way in hell its a sim its more a arcadey game.

Dec 26, 2006
well in Forza you can also drive your car into a wall at 100mph and still drive away, how realistic is that? truly realistic car damage is still incredibly difficult with today's hardware.

Yes it does look nice with damage effects, but in my opinion and in the way I see it, GT is about practicing time attack, improving your driving techniques, and your driving lines.

Technically your not suppose to crash, in a time attack if you go off track and crash, your race is over. Yes some people will use this as an advantage to get faster lap times, but how should a game prevent this sort of "cheating" from happening? it's basically impossible to include realistic damage effects with limited processing power of PS2, I much rather have no damage at all instead of some half-assed textural "damages".

Ubersnuber

Master Poster
Feb 15, 2006
[QUOTE="banjo7, post: 0]Yeah because in real life if you crash into a wall you bounce off and then carry on driving with no damage to your car.
In real life you can go into a corner at 100mph then bounce off the wall and drive off to get a better time.

I love the GT series but theres no way in hell its a sim its more a arcadey game.[/QUOTE]
Believe what you want dude, but GT is a car sim, and the worlds most popular at that too.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="chilicoke, post: 0]well in Forza you can also drive your car into a wall at 100mph and still drive away, how realistic is that? truly realistic car damage is still incredibly difficult with today's hardware.

Yes it does look nice with damage effects, but in my opinion and in the way I see it, GT is about practicing time attack, improving your driving techniques, and your driving lines.

Technically your not suppose to crash, in a time attack if you go off track and crash, your race is over. Yes some people will use this as an advantage to get faster lap times, but how should a game prevent this sort of "cheating" from happening? it's basically impossible to include realistic damage effects with limited processing power of PS2, I much rather have no damage at all instead of some half-assed textural "damages".[/quote]

Thank you!!! I downloaded the demo for forza and I realized that it really didn't change the game for me. It just changed the looks. As far as I am concerned I'll leave the crashes to burnout and then stick with gran turismo. Color me unimpressed with forza.

oneJ

Superior Member
Aug 25, 2006
i thought in GT4 if you went off track on purpose you had time seconds added onto your lap time?

Metal Warrior

Master Poster
Nov 18, 2005
Antwerp
[QUOTE="banjo7, post: 1404302]Forza's damage will effect the way you drive in the full game.[/QUOTE]

Not necissarily, you could still just choose the option "Cosmetic damage". But indeed, there will be other levels of damage that effect the car's handling.

M

mmcg

GT:HD won't have damage because it's just a tech demo, and they probably won't update it.

GT5 may have damage, nobody really knows.

Dec 1, 2006
Who wants realistic damage anyways? If you save a bunch of money to buy a car and then total it, wouldn't you be pissed?

I like the fact that it's not THAT realistic. I want to be able to drive all kinds of exotics and not have to worry about crashing them, it's like a fantasy world. Much better than the real world.

mobbology

Superior Member
Jan 27, 2007
[QUOTE="chilicoke, post: 0]well in Forza you can also drive your car into a wall at 100mph and still drive away, how realistic is that? truly realistic car damage is still incredibly difficult with today's hardware.

[/quote]

well it will still affect your drivability. you can also see how much damage you engine has taken along with the drivetrain.

Altho i do think hitting the wall at 100mph should total the car.

[QUOTE="mmcg, post: 1404349]GT:HD won't have damage because it's just a tech demo, and they probably won't update it.

GT5 may have damage, nobody really knows.[/quote]

i thought they are both the same game???

Dec 26, 2006
GTHD was supposed to be a game, but it was canceled and made into a tech demo to show off its graphics running on GT4 engine.

GT5 (the real next GT) is still too far away to discuss.. =)

nuffmon

Superior Member
Dec 9, 2006
I've never been able to bounce off a wall to gain a better time in GT4. Stick to the driving part. Crash damage is great but it soon wears off. I love burnout but i only ever play crash mode.

Apr 11, 2007
I think the point of GT games are to admire the cars you're driving, thats why the replay and photo mode are so detailed. If you want damage which is 100% realistic then you could literally only crash once, and your car would be completely totaled, cos thats what happens in real life.

And the Forza 2 demo is pretty bad to be honest, I mean ok the damage is good but the game is dead boring compared to GT HD.

Sep 12, 2005
The head producer said long ago that GT 5 will have damage.

As for GTHD, it is a PS2 game (GT4) with HD graphics, yet poops on other racers built from scratch games. :lol:

mobbology

Superior Member
Jan 27, 2007
[QUOTE="Shiv007, post: 0]I think the point of GT games are to admire the cars you're driving, thats why the replay and photo mode are so detailed. If you want damage which is 100% realistic then you could literally only crash once, and your car would be completely totaled, cos thats what happens in real life.

And the Forza 2 demo is pretty bad to be honest, I mean ok the damage is good but the game is dead boring compared to GT HD.[/quote]

Have you played GT:HD to make a comparison??? im going to go over a friends house with a ps3 to check it out myself

Mar 28, 2007
[QUOTE="JordanIsHere, post: 1404362]Who wants realistic damage anyways? If you save a bunch of money to buy a car and then total it, wouldn't you be pissed?

[/quote]

well for a sim, i would like damage to be real as possible. if that means you lose your car to damage so be it. it just means you will have to try to complete the race with the car in one piece.

as far as the forza damage, its cool that it shows some damage but in no way does that make it a better "sim" because the damage is tacked on, "arcadey".

I dont think we will see damage worth mentioning untill the car manufacturer's gives the ok to see their cars get torn apart with multiple roll overs, which happens in high speed crashes not just a bumper or 2.

until then if you want damage go play burnout

Apr 11, 2007
[QUOTE="mobbology, post: 0]Have you played GT:HD to make a comparison??? im going to go over a friends house with a ps3 to check it out myself[/quote]

Yeh i have a PS3 and i have the game, i also have a 360 with the Forza 2 demo.

Ezekiel

Forum Sage
Apr 29, 2006
I think GTHD is far superior to Forz 2. I played both demos and think that GTHD does a better job with simulation than Forza 2. Forza 2 cars seem to have too much understeer no matter what you do to the settings of your car or how much you slow down to take a corner.

Nov 4, 2006
[QUOTE="banjo7, post: 0]Yeah because in real life if you crash into a wall you bounce off and then carry on driving with no damage to your car.

I love the GT series but theres no way in hell its a sim its more a arcadey game.[/quote]

You cant get better times in GT by "bouncing off walls". GT is a DRIVING SIMULATION, each and every car has their own characteristics, you must master your braking technique and know the proper racing line, in my opiniong they do a very good job in simulating real life DRIVING.

Nov 4, 2006
this game is just a demo, in every GT game when you hit the wall you slow down dramatically. You cant judge a game by its demo.