GT5:P New Update Changes and Tips

ScorpionT16

Forum Elder
Feb 13, 2008
This is not like the other threads (stating changes mentioned by PD), this is to provide changes that polyphony did not mention as well as changes noticed by users and are CONFIRMED.

Anything new noticed about the update, please use this thread

UPDATING PROBLEMS TIP

This Update seemed to have some problems downloading, for those with problems, Please try this. It is confirmed

Here is a workaround from Poly..

1. Download up to the Dowload Failed screen.
2. Restart Console.
3. Decline to update when you get to the first update screen
4. Go to 'News' and redownload it from there, it will pick up from the failure.

CHANGES CONFIRMED BY USERS

MAIN MENU

-The GTTV icon now has a download progress bar on top when a download is in progress

-There is a New icon above "000". This is the download progress icon for the GTTV store

-There is a new scenery added as well as a new opening scene

-1 New Menu song has been added

G25 Logitech Wheel

It is no longer possible to powershift with the G25's H shifter + clutch. Powershifting as in never lifting off the accelerator, and just punching the clutch in and out and changing gears. This will make things more even for everyone. It is still possible to shift quicker, but players have to be more careful now as misshifts are a lot easier to attain.

ONLINE RACE

Is no longer possible to quit online races. No more disconnects unless the host has real bad connection or physically turns the PS3 off
EVENTS LIST

1) Beginners Sports Car Class Suzuka Circuit /STD (12 players)
2)Beginners Super Car Class Daytona Speedway (12 players)
3) Beginners Super Car Class High Speed Ring (12 players)

4) Intermediate Level PP700 Suzuka (No tire restrictions-16 Players)
5) Intermediate Level PP800 High Speed Ring (No tire restrictions-12 Players)

5) Expert Level PP600 Daytona Speedway (No tire restrictions-16 players)
6) Expert Levelpp750 Fuji Speedway F (No tire restrictions-12 players)
7) Expert Level F430/GT-R/Z06 High Speed Ring (Tire Restrictions,Sport S3-16 Players)

*Time Trial Events*
-All Cars Welcome-

8) PP600 High Speed Ring
9) PP600 Eiger
10) PP700 High Speed Ring
11)PP700 Suzuak Circuit
ARCADE

Put a fair few hours into GT5P yesterday, drove about 15 cars on all the tracks. More stuff I've noticed:

• Handling of some cars is vastly improved/revised. Two in particular, the Ferrari 599 and the Ford GT. The latter of which I found almost undriveable under certain circumstances with the TC off.. its now quite driveable. The Ferrari 599 I used to find suffered from too much understeer and generally very 'wallowy' handling. It is also much more manageable now.
  • Drafting seems to be much less. I did my usual credit cruncher race on A-8 (F430 at Daytona one-lapper) and couldn't get within a second of my old time there. The effect of drafting on the straight seems significantly less. This is both a blessing and a curse though - I don't like the ridiculous draft situation, but now that they seem to have changed it, it leaves those of us who don't have Gold on the drafting events even further away from the top tier. Times need to be adjusted for some tracks to take this into account if it is really so.
  • Wheel improvements. My Driving Force GT 'feels' better. I can only relate it to a car I've driven quite a bit over the past week prior to the update - the Lotus Elise 111R - the feedback from the wheel is much improved and it is substantially more weighted. Before, if felt like turning a push-bike wheel, now its very film and heavy under load through corners and such. All around, the steering on most of the cars feels more precise and true.
  • Track changes affecting the wheel. London particularly, the long left-right dogleg after the first corner. We've done a BMW Z4 challenge recently so I used this for reference again yesterday. The Z4 used to slide over the inside curb there so you could go through at full throttle with just a tiny dab of the brakes and that would bring the back end around enough to get you through the corner without touching the outside wall on exit. You can still do this, but the curbing seems more 'pronounced'. It actually bucks the wheel in your hands and theres a moment as your right-inside wheel lifts off the ground that the steering goes completely light before snapping back into weighted as it touches down on the ground again. Lap after lap. Simply fantastic :cool:
  • Car penalties are gone from the F40 race at Suzuka. GREAT! Though I would have loved to have known this was on their agenda before spending months previously trying to get that one in Gold.
  • Grip, grip, GRIP! All cars hold on better. You can see it in the online times too. You don't just sliiiiiiide along the track any more if you overcook it. The tyres dig in, give you feedback and if you get it right, you can save it much easier than before. The Ford GT LM Spec II for me was a beast.. even with the wheel (and pedals) any more than the most subtle application of the throttle would have the tyres spinning and the back end swapping with the front. Tyres seem to dig in more now and drive you into understeer at full throttle more than snap-oversteer.
1. You can actually hear the turbos spool and the Blow Off Valves (BOV) now. The Amuse S2000 sound amazing. Exhaust noise seems to have increased too.

2. R3 tires really do feel like soft compound tires now.

3. I can't confirm this, but I think punters and the like get black flagged now. Their car gets a permanent ghost effect.
Before this update the s2 tires were bit off. They felt like you used STREET tires and not Sports.
Now the S2 tires do feel like you have good SPORTS tires, seems they have more grip, and the N tires do seem like they are Normal Street tires.
I've definitely noticed less 'screech noise' from S2 tyres now. Did some Time Trial with a car I've just raced with recently and there was hardly any (no where near as much anyway) as there was prior to the update.

Car-on-car penalties seem much improved (i.e. removed) and there is much more leeway allowed. Track penalties are still pretty sloppy though. You can still go wide at 130R on Suzuka, hit the sand, lose a HEAP of time - and you'll still incur a penalty rejoining the track.

EVENTS

the infamous A-3 liscense gold target times has changed. Now the target is 1"12.500 instead of 1'13.000.
A-3 liscense. The S-8 has also changed. 1'09.500 instead of 1'10.000.

CHANGES IN SOUND

NOTE: It is confirmed that nearly all cars have received and upgrade in handling and sound, screeching noise is also reduced.

-Deadpool-

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 7, 2007
I've definitely noticed less 'screech noise' from S2 tyres now. Did some Time Trial with a car I've just raced with recently and there was hardly any (no where near as much anyway) as there was prior to the update.

Car-on-car penalties seem much improved (i.e. removed) and there is much more leeway allowed. Track penalties are still pretty sloppy though. You can still go wide at 130R on Suzuka, hit the sand, lose a HEAP of time - and you'll still incur a penalty rejoining the track.

Not bad though, planning on a fair bit of GT today.. 8)

ScorpionT16

Forum Elder
Feb 13, 2008
[QUOTE="-Deadpool-, post: 0]I've definitely noticed less 'screech noise' from S2 tyres now. Did some Time Trial with a car I've just raced with recently and there was hardly any (no where near as much anyway) as there was prior to the update.

Not bad though, planning on a fair bit of GT today.. 8)[/quote]

Great, I noted it down under Arcade, PD added alot of changes to improve the game! One step closer to GT5 and GTO being Perfect!

UPDATE: I have also added the time changes noticed in the event licenses.

-Deadpool-

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 7, 2007
[QUOTE="ScorpionT16, post: 0]
UPDATE: I have also added the time changes noticed in the event licenses.[/quote]
Wow, wouldn't have noticed that!

I was hoping they'd bring the Gold requirements down for the Cappuccino event and the M3 on Eiger... :p

ScorpionT16

Forum Elder
Feb 13, 2008
[QUOTE="-Deadpool-, post: 0]Wow, wouldn't have noticed that!

I was hoping they'd bring the Gold requirements down for the Cappuccino event and the M3 on Eiger... :p[/quote]

Ohh yeh, those i have only got a silver on, the M3 one is harder especially, the gold time is just too low, you have to have more luck on slipstream that's all, and thats a problem cause you need luck to make all cars in the right place!

-Deadpool-

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 7, 2007
[QUOTE="ScorpionT16, post: 0]Ohh yeh, those i have only got a silver on, the M3 one is harder especially, the gold time is just too low, you have to have more luck on slipstream that's all, and thats a problem cause you need luck to make all cars in the right place![/quote]
Yep.. M3 is particularly inconsistent.. I'm not a huge fan of the reliance on slipstream events, especially on the Eiger as its such a pain of a track! :lol:

ScorpionT16

Forum Elder
Feb 13, 2008
[QUOTE="-Deadpool-, post: 0]Yep.. M3 is particularly inconsistent.. I'm not a huge fan of the reliance on slipstream events, especially on the Eiger as its such a pain of a track! :lol:[/quote]

Well, Its the only track in the game that in real life is non existent, there is no such track, PD went to the location (that actually has the mountains and train) and designed the track for the game themselves, I enjoy it, has a good amount of hill, a similar corkscrew turn to that of the lagunaseka, and very enjoyable for drifting!

EDIT: I think Suzuka circuit is a bigger pain, its a great track, but its a great pain:snicker

-Deadpool-

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 7, 2007
[QUOTE="ScorpionT16, post: 0]Well, Its the only track in the game that in real life is non existent, there is no such track, PD went to the location (that actually has the mountains and train) and designed the track for the game themselves, I enjoy it, has a good amount of hill, a similar corkscrew turn to that of the lagunaseka, and very enjoyable for drifting!

EDIT: I think Suzuka circuit is a bigger pain, its a great track, but its a great pain:snicker[/quote]
See I love Suzuka.. I 'get' the corners and stuff... the Eiger though, I just don't 'feel' :p Especially in reverse.. its God awful coming back up hill through those hairpins!

ScorpionT16

Forum Elder
Feb 13, 2008
[QUOTE="-Deadpool-, post: 0]See I love Suzuka.. I 'get' the corners and stuff... the Eiger though, I just don't 'feel' :p Especially in reverse.. its God awful coming back up hill through those hairpins![/quote]

Eidger is alright, im good at it only because of GTHD, and love the scenery, Suzuka is great aswell, i love the first wave types turns! But i really want nurburgring, ill be on that non stop. I would play it on GT4 but my friend borrowed it:evil:

Happs

Superior Member
Oct 16, 2007
I think for the most part it's a good update, but there's one thing I'm VERY disappointed about, and that's the restrictions on the DLC!! :???:

I was extremely excited about the car/motoring vids available to download from 1 Aug (have been looking forward to them for months and months), however your downloads expire after 14 days!!!

That sux!! If I pay for DLC, I want it forever, even if I had to pay a bit more for it. I was really looking forward to getting quite a nice archive of car vids, top gear episodes and best motoring episodes.

After the initial excitement (and yes I did still buy some vids), I'm not sure I will use it to anywhere near the extent that I was planning to :mad:.

Please PD, let us keep what we pay for, AND let us watch them from the XMB!!!

-Deadpool-

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 7, 2007
Put a fair few hours into GT5P yesterday, drove about 15 cars on all the tracks. More stuff I've noticed:

• Handling of some cars is vastly improved/revised. Two in particular, the Ferrari 599 and the Ford GT. The latter of which I found almost undriveable under certain circumstances with the TC off.. its now quite driveable. The Ferrari 599 I used to find suffered from too much understeer and generally very 'wallowy' handling. It is also much more manageable now.
  • Drafting seems to be much less. I did my usual credit cruncher race on A-8 (F430 at Daytona one-lapper) and couldn't get within a second of my old time there. The effect of drafting on the straight seems significantly less. This is both a blessing and a curse though - I don't like the ridiculous draft situation, but now that they seem to have changed it, it leaves those of us who don't have Gold on the drafting events even further away from the top tier. Times need to be adjusted for some tracks to take this into account if it is really so.
  • Wheel improvements. My Driving Force GT 'feels' better. I can only relate it to a car I've driven quite a bit over the past week prior to the update - the Lotus Elise 111R - the feedback from the wheel is much improved and it is substantially more weighted. Before, if felt like turning a push-bike wheel, now its very firm and heavy under load through corners and such. All around, the steering on most of the cars feels more precise and true.
  • Track changes affecting the wheel. London particularly, the long left-right dogleg after the first corner. We've done a BMW Z4 challenge recently so I used this for reference again yesterday. The Z4 used to slide over the inside curb there so you could go through at full throttle with just a tiny dab of the brakes and that would bring the back end around enough to get you through the corner without touching the outside wall on exit. You can still do this, but the curbing seems more 'pronounced'. It actually bucks the wheel in your hands and theres a moment as your right-inside wheel lifts off the ground that the steering goes completely light before snapping back into weighted as it touches down on the ground again. Lap after lap. Simply fantastic 8)
  • Car penalties are gone from the F40 race at Suzuka. GREAT! Though I would have loved to have known this was on their agenda before spending months previously trying to get that one in Gold.
  • Grip, grip, GRIP! All cars hold on better. You can see it in the online times too. You don't just sliiiiiiide along the track any more if you overcook it. The tyres dig in, give you feedback and if you get it right, you can save it much easier than before. The Ford GT LM Spec II for me was a beast.. even with the wheel (and pedals) any more than the most delicate application of the throttle would have the tyres spinning and the back end swapping with the front. Tyres seem to dig in more now and drive you into understeer at full throttle more than snap-oversteer.

Overall its a great update.

I am looking forward to the big one though. Private racing rooms with Friends and new cars and tracks. This one was definitely much needed and has improved lots of little things 8)

ScorpionT16

Forum Elder
Feb 13, 2008
[QUOTE="-Deadpool-, post: 0]Put a fair few hours into GT5P yesterday, drove about 15 cars on all the tracks. More stuff I've noticed:

• Wheel improvements. My Driving Force GT 'feels' better. I can only relate it to a car I've driven quite a bit over the past week prior to the update - the Lotus Elise 111R - the feedback from the wheel is much improved and it is substantially more weighted. Before, if felt like turning a push-bike wheel, now its very firm and heavy under load through corners and such. All around, the steering on most of the cars feels more precise and true.
  • Track changes affecting the wheel. London particularly, the long left-right dogleg after the first corner. We've done a BMW Z4 challenge recently so I used this for reference again yesterday. The Z4 used to slide over the inside curb there so you could go through at full throttle with just a tiny dab of the brakes and that would bring the back end around enough to get you through the corner without touching the outside wall on exit. You can still do this, but the curbing seems more 'pronounced'. It actually bucks the wheel in your hands and theres a moment as your right-inside wheel lifts off the ground that the steering goes completely light before snapping back into weighted as it touches down on the ground again. Lap after lap. Simply fantastic 8)
  • Grip, grip, GRIP! All cars hold on better. You can see it in the online times too. You don't just sliiiiiiide along the track any more if you overcook it. The tyres dig in, give you feedback and if you get it right, you can save it much easier than before. The Ford GT LM Spec II for me was a beast.. even with the wheel (and pedals) any more than the most delicate application of the throttle would have the tyres spinning and the back end swapping with the front. Tyres seem to dig in more now and drive you into understeer at full throttle more than snap-oversteer.

I am looking forward to the big one though. Private racing rooms with Friends and new cars and tracks. This one was definitely much needed and has improved lots of little things 8)[/quote]

I noticed those aswell, My G25 wheel feels alot better aswell, now with the clutch they've removed power shifting as well, so its much more realistic:D

I didnt know about the Suzuka F40 penalties removed, that race was the worst in penalties, just touch a guy 5seconds! getting around the first bend took a while! Ill try it tonite for a gold:neutral:

-Deadpool-

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 7, 2007
[QUOTE="ScorpionT16, post: 0]I noticed those aswell, My G25 wheel feels alot better aswell, now with the clutch they've removed power shifting as well, so its much more realistic:D

I didnt know about the Suzuka F40 penalties removed, that race was the worst in penalties, just touch a guy 5seconds! getting around the first bend took a while! Ill try it tonite for a gold:neutral:[/quote]

I read that the powershifting was removed. It seems to have upset a fair few people though that found extra time in powershifting for the Time Trials. Its leveled the playing field a bit though, which is a good thing 8)

Much easier to complete now. As you say, the first corner was always the bane of my existence. Make or break.. I'd often restart the event 20-30 times before getting a good run through the first two corners that I was happy with. Had to be perfect, or you'd just never get Gold. Took me countless attempts before I finally got it before - and if I was a less patient man, I'd probably have thrown upwards of 50 controllers out the window :lol:

ScorpionT16

Forum Elder
Feb 13, 2008
[QUOTE="-Deadpool-, post: 0]I read that the powershifting was removed. It seems to have upset a fair few people though that found extra time in powershifting for the Time Trials. Its leveled the playing field a bit though, which is a good thing 8)

Much easier to complete now. As you say, the first corner was always the bane of my existence. Make or break.. I'd often restart the event 20-30 times before getting a good run through the first two corners that I was happy with. Had to be perfect, or you'd just never get Gold. Took me countless attempts before I finally got it before - and if I was a less patient man, I'd probably have thrown upwards of 50 controllers out the window :lol:[/quote]

lol, yeh i only have a silver in that event, i was 0.00.778 behind the leader once, then i gave up, i said for get it:mad:...Tonite or tomorrow i will try for the gold, hopefully i get it this time!

Happs

Superior Member
Oct 16, 2007
[QUOTE="-Deadpool-, post: 0]Put a fair few hours into GT5P yesterday, drove about 15 cars on all the tracks. More stuff I've noticed:

I am looking forward to the big one though. Private racing rooms with Friends and new cars and tracks. This one was definitely much needed and has improved lots of little things 8)[/quote]

WOW mate what a great review! Very interested to try my wheel now too. I was out most of yesterday (though I left the PS3 and GT5P on downloading the Ferrari tour!! :mrgreen:) so I didn;t give my wheel a good go, but I definitely will now.

I also refrained from buying the PD Ford GT in becuase it was so hard to control in the series races, so I'll look into picking up that one now.

Thanks Scorpion too for updating the first post, very useful! :D

ScorpionT16

Forum Elder
Feb 13, 2008
[QUOTE="Happs, post: 0]WOW mate what a great review! Very interested to try my wheel now too. I was out most of yesterday (though I left the PS3 and GT5P on downloading the Ferrari tour!! :mrgreen:) so I didn;t give my wheel a good go, but I definitely will now.

I also refrained from buying the PD Ford GT in becuase it was so hard to control in the series races, so I'll look into picking up that one now.

Thanks Scorpion too for updating the first post, very useful! :D[/quote]

No problem mate, check the official thread of GT out as well, soon ill add a PSN list containing who uses wheels, controllers, what country etc..GT heaven lol!

NVM, just checked, an you've seen it! Great!

S

Soldier 95B

And still a lagfest and no friends lobby. This update frustrates me more than anything :(

Pezzer

Dedicated Member
Jan 29, 2007
[QUOTE="Switch, post: 0]And still a lagfest and no friends lobby. This update frustrates me more than anything :([/quote]

Dude it will come in time.

Also not sure if its listed or been mentioned previous, but when in Arcade and timetrial you now have a choice of selceting N1 - S2 tyres now.

May 10, 2008
BUG REPORT tried to update the japanese version of GT5P now it wont let me online or even play arcade tried news update wont work kinda getting bored with this expensive DEMO (ahh an update what do we need for this game YES !!! per per view TV money grabbing [email protected]@#$%% i wont something new for my cash PD your nearly making you NEVER buy this game ) no lobby system still and PD says it aint out till 2010 wake me up when something exciting happens (going back to intial D least its fun to play ) ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
HAPPY GAMING !!! (not with GT5P it seems)
ps industy has gone DLC crazy i aint paying JACK *****E for nothing

May 10, 2008
somebody please help me update GT5P japanese version ive even deleted my old update for Spec II and re downloaded that tried what Scorpion said 3 hours and still its not fixed anybody help will rep them
HAPPY GAMING !!