GT5 Shift or Forza

hood

Elite Member
Dec 2, 2005
Im stuck desiding what would be a better game. Im thinking GT5 = NFS Shift>Forza 3
Now before im called a fanboy or flamed. Id like to explain my reason why.

GT the series has been a very good game and its always felt like a high quality experience for me reguardless of a few technical limitations back in its ps2 days. GT has lots of cars lots of tracks good replay value. Missions Driving tests Tuner Village Photomode Rally Racing and decent vehicle customization. BUt it was missing a few things Rally racing in Stages Online and Damage. Now GT5 has it and i feel that a perfect GT game will finally be released well at least from my prospective.

NFS Shift on the other hand looks to be more exciting than GT just as grid had seemed to be alot more fun but when i actually played the demo of grid i couldnt see my self perchasing that game because i felt it was a little arcadish. NFS Shift on the other hand is supposidly going to be Grid but with physicals that are superior to GTR2. I played GTR2 on my pc with my g25 wheel and i must say i was very impressed it was even more of a challenge than GT5:p. Also the customization and car settings on Shift will be very sophisticated most likely it will be like it is in GTR2. The only reason for me hold GT5 above it is i havent seen anything from GT5 but a trailerand GT5 has more variety.

FM3 though i believe will be less steller than Shift and GT5 FM3 has the GFX it has the Physics it has the cars. Theres just something that makes me feel like its over hyped and not only that but Shift and GT5 have superior cockpit veiws than both Forza. For me Forza has far better car customization than GT5(as we know of). Theres just this doom and gloom feeling i have for Forza that i cant shake. I dont really know much about Forza because ive never played it but i have played GTR2 and GT. They are great games and thats what im just gonna base my guess off. For me Forza is Grid with better GFX and i couldnt see myself buying that game.

Feel free to way in on this guys/gals

Metfanant

Forum Sage
Apr 12, 2006
NY
i think it will go as such....GT5>Forza3>Shift

GT5 will be technically superior game in this debate in almost every sense when it hits shelves...now that doesn't mean it will be for everyone...i know people that HATE GT games and find them boring...

Forza is going to be a stellar game no doubt IMO....it will be pretty to look at and play well...

Shift, frankly ive lost all hope for NFS...i really like the games but they have become so tired and played out over the years...it will take a great game to win me over with shift...im not sure they can do it..

Jo-san

Dedicated Member
Nov 29, 2008
London/Tokyo
If you want the better graphics get GT5 (of course they've actually got to announce a release date first), ie number of cars on track, detail, presentation. If you want the better gameplay go Forza 3; physics, damage modelling, customisation.

Shift avoid.

Metfanant

Forum Sage
Apr 12, 2006
NY
[QUOTE="Jo-san, post: 0]If you want the better gameplay go Forza 3; physics, damage modelling, customisation.

[/quote]

wow...im gonna go ahead and disagree with you there...:suspect:

imaROBOT_

PEACE.LOVE.UNITY.RESPECT.
Mar 28, 2007
Really hard to tell what game will the best, because none of them are out right now.

From my experince with Forza it is a great game. I've played alot of races with my friends and it's always really exciting. The graphics and physics are all great and it has a good arcade/sim feel... if that makes sense. If I still had a X360 I would easily buy it no questions asked.

Need for speed series has never been all that great to me. The last game I actually liked was the first NFS Underground. Did alot of online drag races and those were awesome, but all the newest games seem to suck. Shift on the other hand looks good, but you never know with NFS.

GT5.. what can you say? The biggest most anticpated racing game of this gen. I expect really great things from GT5 and I know I won't be dissapointed. Will be a MUST BUY for any PS3 owner.

Only thing I hate about racing games is ******** knocking you off the track.. I wish there was something they could do about that.. so annoying..

hood

Elite Member
Dec 2, 2005
[QUOTE="Jo-san, post: 0]If you want the better graphics get GT5 (of course they've actually got to announce a release date first), ie number of cars on track, detail, presentation. If you want the better gameplay go Forza 3; physics, damage modelling, customisation.

Shift avoid.[/quote]

But shift has the successor of the GTR2 physics engine

[QUOTE="imaROBOT_, post: 0]
Only thing I hate about racing games is ******** knocking you off the track.. I wish there was something they could do about that.. so annoying..[/quote]

If NFS Shift takes the penalties that are in GTR2 and enforce them online couldnt a player be disqualified solving the problem with people ramming you.

J3ff3

Elite Guru
Dec 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Metfanant, post: 0]wow...im gonna go ahead and disagree with you there...:suspect:[/quote]

um why? theres not much in it. one oversteers, the other understeers.

to suggest that Forza is in someway inferior to GT in physics needs some sort of justification imo

especially given that it handles much more like GTR2 than GT does - and simbin are not given any hassel on the physics front.

[QUOTE="hood, post: 0]Im stuck desiding what would be a better game. Im thinking GT5 = NFS Shift>Forza 3

GT the series has been a very good game and its always felt like a high quality experience for me reguardless of a few technical limitations back in its ps2 days. GT has lots of cars lots of tracks good replay value. Missions Driving tests Tuner Village Photomode Rally Racing and decent vehicle customization. BUt it was missing a few things Rally racing in Stages Online and Damage. Now GT5 has it and i feel that a perfect GT game will finally be released well at least from my prospective.

NFS Shift on the other hand looks to be more exciting than GT just as grid had seemed to be alot more fun but when i actually played the demo of grid i couldnt see my self perchasing that game because i felt it was a little arcadish. NFS Shift on the other hand is supposidly going to be Grid but with physicals that are superior to GTR2. I played GTR2 on my pc with my g25 wheel and i must say i was very impressed it was even more of a challenge than GT5:p. Also the customization and car settings on Shift will be very sophisticated most likely it will be like it is in GTR2. The only reason for me hold GT5 above it is i havent seen anything from GT5 but a trailerand GT5 has more variety.

FM3 though i believe will be less steller than Shift and GT5 FM3 has the GFX it has the Physics it has the cars. Theres just something that makes me feel like its over hyped and not only that but Shift and GT5 have superior cockpit veiws than both Forza. For me Forza has far better car customization than GT5(as we know of). Theres just this doom and gloom feeling i have for Forza that i cant shake. I dont really know much about Forza because ive never played it but i have played GTR2 and GT. They are great games and thats what im just gonna base my guess off. For me Forza is Grid with better GFX and i couldnt see myself buying that game.

Feel free to way in on this guys/gals[/quote]

why compare a game you've never played? if you had you'd know that forza is actually very similar to gtr2

Xelis

Elite Sage
Jan 1, 2008
[QUOTE="Jo-san, post: 0]If you want the better graphics get GT5 (of course they've actually got to announce a release date first), ie number of cars on track, detail, presentation. If you want the better gameplay go Forza 3; physics, damage modelling, customisation.

Shift avoid.[/quote]
GT5 is getting damage although we have no idea what it looks like, but if as you also stated GT5's detail is better, the damage should be better. Which I would agree with.

Forza 3 looks like it'll be insanely easy with the rewind feature.

Jul 4, 2009
Whats the point in making comparisons now? No one has played any of the games. From the still shots, all three look great. What else can be said about a game no one has any playing time with yet? It is all speculation at this point

AaronSOLDIER

Ultimate Veteran
Apr 5, 2007
forums.final7fantasy.com
[QUOTE="biggie862005, post: 0]Whats the point in making comparisons now? No one has played any of the games. From the still shots, all three look great. What else can be said about a game no one has any playing time with yet?[/quote]

Well looking at all 3 games predecessors, its obvious GT5 will come out on top, however it depends if the NFS series will make a comeback with shift.

So really, its out of Forza and Shift

Jul 4, 2009
[QUOTE="AaronSOLDIER, post: 0]Well looking at all 3 games predecessors, its obvious GT5 will come out on top, however it depends if the NFS series will make a comeback with shift.

So really, its out of Forza and Shift[/quote]

Your point doesnt always hold true. Again it is all speculation at this point.

Feb 21, 2009
Well it is obvious that GT5 can never win because it is never coming out.

OK I am sorry but I had to say it. Seriously I think these comparisons are about as valid as XBOX vs Playstation. It is all based on personal preference. Personally I like the driving physics in Forza better. Does that mean that the physics are better or worse than that of GT5? No. It simply is my preference.

Seriously though is GT5 coming out? Cause it seems like it has been coming out for the last 6 years (yes this is an over-estimation). I would bet my money on Forza and Shift selling more because they are actually slated to really come out. If GT5 releases around the same time for this XMAS I wouldn't be surprised if it out-sold both of them together. There is a ton of support for the GT franchise and while Need for Speed has been around a long time it is definitely a different game (just in what people associate with the Need for Speed series). And Forza is too young of a franchise to carry as much weight as GT in my opinion.

Now I am sure each and every one of you can make an argument for or against my opinions or even arguments based on different opinions than my own (not necessarily for or against). And thats cool. Thats why I love video games. There really is something for everyone.

newjaruz

Apprentice
Dec 2, 2008
If I had to put my money on something I would put it on GT5
I am a fan.. yes Forza added new features since the last GT release but thats because that was eons ago and PD hasn't dropped a full game this generation on hardware that is more capable. Games cannot be compared before they come out anyway... Forza brought a lot of fresh ideas to the table but i tried the game and the actual driving didn't seem right to me... The physics IMO seemed a little off (when it came to actual driving). To me thats the most important aspect in the game; the driving experience.... so... all that damage stuff is not essential to me anyway because lets keep it real once i get the hang of the game I DONT CRASH.. so that would become irrelevent for me.. and I do not play multi-player in racing games. Forza seems like a great game.. with less content than PD but more features....

but I am willing to bet that the general consensus or the metacritic score for GT5 will best FM3

as for the other game... don't know anything about it...
According to many xbox fans Forza is the GOAT yet according to the awards for E3... they did not win in their own category.. since GT5 was not present I dont think they were considered

Jul 4, 2009
[QUOTE="AaronSOLDIER, post: 0]Anyone who says either NFS or Forza > GT is stupid. PD will always dominate the racing genre. Ask anyone[/quote]

No one is saying one is better than the other here. And your opinion on gt being best is just that, YOUR opinion. Heaven forbid anyone disagree with you. Comments like that are ignorant. Some will like forza better and some will like gt or shift. But no one will know whats best until they are out, plain and simple

S

SixAxisRumble

[QUOTE="biggie862005, post: 0]Whats the point in making comparisons now? No one has played any of the games. From the still shots, all three look great. What else can be said about a game no one has any playing time with yet? It is all speculation at this point[/quote]

What he says.....

If going by older games....it has to be Forza 3. Forza 2 is better than any GT game and GT 1,2,3 & 4 are better than any NFS title.

Dec 22, 2007
[QUOTE="AaronSOLDIER, post: 0]Well looking at all 3 games predecessors, its obvious GT5 will come out on top, however it depends if the NFS series will make a comeback with shift.

So really, its out of Forza and Shift[/quote]

I have a feeling Shift is gonna become Arcade/sim style.

the only part i like most is the drifting but not worth full price on me. ima wait till shift drop its price. GT5 ...... well i cant wait to blow ppl off the couse.

I think PSU forums should make a GT5 Tournament raceway.

an the prize should be... i guess points :cool:

creat a season race about 16 track per Tournament, add up the top racer an make the final battle.

Apr 27, 2008
I thought the first Forza game on Xbox was pretty good. It definitely wasn't a GT game but I had a bit of fun with it after I modified a hotrod with 900 horsepower. It had that mix of realism and arcade that was blended almost perfectly. I haven't played X360 Forza however, so I can not comment on those from experience. I suck at racing games but I will still get GT5 for sure just because I love driving in cockpit view or when I am in third person I always crash all over the place because I am too busy admiring the car then the road. ^_^

TrUe GaMeR

Superior Member
Mar 3, 2006
[QUOTE="hood, post: 0]Im stuck desiding what would be a better game. Im thinking GT5 = NFS Shift>Forza 3

Feel free to way in on this guys/gals[/quote]

WTH

I don't see why you even put Forza in your list as titles you would get.

-you say it's overhyped
-you say it doesn't have the graphics or physics
-then you talk about it has a worse cockpit view (When no one has played it)
-then you come with your made up "I can't... I can't...I just can't shake it man. This game got some bad voodoo on it."

Again WTH

That's like me shopping for a muscle cars like Mustang and Camaro, then throwing in a Prius into the mix just because i want to bash it.

Then to top it off...

"I don't really know about Forza because i have never played it."

Then more of your useless opinions after you've stated your made up facts.

"For me Forza equal Grid." <-- Useless and baseless opinion.

"And I couldn't see myself buying the game." <-- WTH is this.

If you couldn't see yourself buying it why is it in your running of games to get? Maybe i'm alone in this but if I couldn't see myself buying a $60 game, im not interested in it. I guess that's my flawed logic.

To everyone else saying Forza is to easy. Each and every option you mention can be turned off.

Including rewind.

Jan 4, 2006
[QUOTE="biggie862005, post: 0]Whats the point in making comparisons now? No one has played any of the games. From the still shots, all three look great. What else can be said about a game no one has any playing time with yet? It is all speculation at this point[/quote]

Finally someone that's making sense. Because all three will offer something different and looking great I'm just gonna buy all 3 and enjoy the best of each game.

Tibiquera

Superior Member
Oct 14, 2006
Well, it all depends on personal preferences.

About the poster, hood, it seems your preference is of a realistic racing experience (especially considering you have g25). So my analysis is the following:

Shift for what I've seen doesn't have a lot of cars and I haven't seen any real life track (looks like it's mostly city tracks just like other NFS games). Some of the things they showed is that the cockpit camera shakes according to the action. Another thing is that points are awarded for mastering the turns. They showed that it is possible to win races by crashing and being aggressive (which is what you'd expect from a newby), but will reward skilled drives. This tells me that what they're trying to do is reproduce the thrill of racing without being too restrictive. It's not supposed to be a driving simulation (thus the absence of real life tracks and a small number of cars) but a racing simulation which anyone, regardless of skill level, would enjoy. Because it's more directed to the mainstream audience, it seems that this game won't exactly be what you're looking for.

For Forza, they are promising more cars, more tracks, customization, cockpit camera, tire deformation, and improved damage, which means they're taking the realism forward. At the same time, they're doing the rewind feature and driver assistances that shows they are going more casual. My biggest concern is whether those latter changes will influence the simulation part. Also some people have complained that in Forza 2, Nurburgring wasn't reproduced correctly, which is probably due to the DVD size limitation. On the other hand, they'll probably have the best online out of the three, considering their previous titles. Bottom line is, if you want a game where you can drive many real cars around many real tracks to feel how it feels doing it in real life, Forza 3 will probably not be the best option. But if you wanna race with friends online in your customized car, then this game is probably for you.

Now for GT5 it's a tough one because we don't know much about it, but considering the game's reputation we can only expect it to be great. What we do know is that it'll have the most cars, the most tracks, and the most realistic graphics (I'm sorry, but Forza 3 looks cartoonish to me). It'll also feature things that GT fans have been asking forever, such as damage, online, more than 6 cars on the track, and a better AI. Considering the game's history and what Yamauchi-san has been saying, the main audience are car and racing enthusiasts. This is the reason GT is my favourite racing game (since I love cars and racing). And considering your description of your own preferences, I believe it should be yours too (although I do believe online won't be on par with the other two, and the racing aspects are usually not that great).

But anyways, if you like them both maybe getting 2 or even the 3 of them may be a good idea.

higgos22

Master Guru
Feb 8, 2009
Gran Turismo 5 should have the most cars
and yeh i remeber gt3 on ps2 it was one of my 2 first games i got
and i still played it up until well when i got a ps3 i think
and i really enjoyed the rally races and hope for some more endurance races they were also fun
ive always seen other racing simulators as trying to catch up to gran turismo but never quite getting there

I

InfiniteRetro

definately gt5, then shift. anything even remotely related to gtr2 is a win in my book. forza 3, well, it has a rewind function so you can pull a mulligan on a racing dilemma you didnt like. there goes any semblence of respect i had for their so called flagship racer.

J3ff3

Elite Guru
Dec 30, 2006
[QUOTE="newjaruz, post: 0]The physics IMO seemed a little off (when it came to actual driving). To me thats the most important aspect in the game; the driving experience.... so...
[/quote]

I also agree, but I do think that Forza gets alot of stick from GT fans, not because its well off the mark with the driving experience, or because some people only play GT, but because of a combination of the two. GT clearly has some glaring handling issues that I've been known to express - and like you its something that puts me off to a degree. (Before people pipe up - its FWD oversteer - and I've backed myself up many times)

On the other hand, forza clearly isn't bang on either. I'm not going to deny that I think its closer - but I think that because it handles much more like simbins racers and has less understeer on FWD cars (clearly my pet peeve! :) )

As I said, its pretty even in terms of physics - and the only people who really disagree are those who think GT = real life, so anything else MUST be wrong.

[QUOTE="TrUe GaMeR, post: 0]WTH

I don't see why you even put Forza in your list as titles you would get.

-you say it's overhyped
-you say it doesn't have the graphics or physics
-then you talk about it has a worse cockpit view (When no one has played it)
-then you come with your made up "I can't... I can't...I just can't shake it man. This game got some bad voodoo on it."

Again WTH

That's like me shopping for a muscle cars like Mustang and Camaro, then throwing in a Prius into the mix just because i want to bash it.

Then to top it off...

"I don't really know about Forza because i have never played it."

Then more of your useless opinions after you've stated your made up facts.

"For me Forza equal Grid." <-- Useless and baseless opinion.

"And I couldn't see myself buying the game." <-- WTH is this.

If you couldn't see yourself buying it why is it in your running of games to get? Maybe i'm alone in this but if I couldn't see myself buying a $60 game, im not interested in it. I guess that's my flawed logic.

To everyone else saying Forza is to easy. Each and every option you mention can be turned off.

Including rewind.[/quote]

GET THIS MAN A MEDAL!

This thread is clearly a stealth 'GT will own all thread'.

Honestly, he hasn't even played a forza game!