Gutted..my Motorstorm bundle Blu Ray drive is dead

jaewest304

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2008
www.myspace.com
Im going to back up all my stuff but Im curious...if there are games that are copy protected will they still be able to be restored to the system they were copied from?

Also has anyone had this problem and got their exact same console back after repair? I ask only because none of the back ups can be restored to a different console, right?

Do my themes get backed up when I do the full back up utility?

Last question, should I just send it in to Sony or should I order a BR drive and do it myself? I like the security of Sony doing it but I like the price of me doing it..input please.

I am a bit angry but lucky for me I have a second PS3 so I will survive.

Apr 25, 2007
Eugene, OR
Well as far as replacing the drive goes it's really not hard you just open up the case take the old drive out and plug the new one in, the drive itself comes out quite easily. So if you're pretty tech savvy go for it, but I would talk to sony sometimes they'll cut you a break.

jaewest304

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2008
www.myspace.com
[QUOTE="edward_moffet, post: 0]Well as far as replacing the drive goes it's really not hard you just open up the case take the old drive out and plug the new one in, the drive itself comes out quite easily. So if you're pretty tech savvy go for it, but I would talk to sony sometimes they'll cut you a break.[/quote]

Are you talking about the hard drive or the blu ray drive? I have changed my hard drive and it was very easy, but the blu ray drive change means no matter what Sony will never work on your console ever after you open it...which could be bad if you mess up trying to swap out the BR drive

Apr 25, 2007
Eugene, OR
[QUOTE="jaewest304, post: 0]Are you talking about the hard drive or the blu ray drive? I have changed my hard drive and it was very easy, but the blu ray drive change means no matter what Sony will never work on your console ever after you open it...which could be bad if you mess up trying to swap out the BR drive[/quote]

I'm talking about the bluray drive. It's not complicated to remove as long as you know what you're doing. If you're cautious it's pretty hard to screw it up. Check out some tutorials and see what you think first.

jaewest304

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2008
www.myspace.com
[QUOTE="edward_moffet, post: 0]I'm talking about the bluray drive. It's not complicated to remove as long as you know what you're doing. If you're cautious it's pretty hard to screw it up. Check out some tutorials and see what you think first.[/quote]

yeah I was just looking at some on youtube. It looks very simple really and I have bulit PCs and what not so this doesnt seem to be a difficult task, but my only worry here is if something ever happens that I cant fix...Im screwed if I open the console:bang: what a tough choice...lol

Sep 7, 2007
Is that the 80 gb bundle? How long have you had it? I'm sorry to hear that bro, just a few weeks ago my launch 60 gb got the YLOD! I've sent it in to get repaired for free since I had extended warranty and I've ordered a slim.

The thing, before I got the YLOD a few weeks back, my blu ray drive had been playing up for a good 3 months or so, not recognizing discs and whatnot...but call up Sony and see what they have to say atleast

jaewest304

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2008
www.myspace.com
[QUOTE="Terra_Ryzin, post: 0]Is that the 80 gb bundle? How long have you had it? I'm sorry to hear that bro, just a few weeks ago my launch 60 gb got the YLOD! I've sent it in to get repaired for free since I had extended warranty and I've ordered a slim.

The thing, before I got the YLOD a few weeks back, my blu ray drive had been playing up for a good 3 months or so, not recognizing discs and whatnot...but call up Sony and see what they have to say atleast[/quote]

Yeah its the original 80gb with 4 usb ports and card readers and some B/C. I was going to give Sony a call and see what they can do...because I would want my exact console back if I sent mine in and I need to know if thats possible