Handbrake problemoo!

Shaunyac

Master Guru
Dec 24, 2007
Wayles.
I have a problemo, it appears that my handbrake has been gradually declining in operation to a point that it's is pretty much useless in all aspects of holding a car in one place.

Over time, it's become slacker and slacker, and now, when I'm on a hill, it doesn't hold even after 5 or so clicks. I have to pull it as hard as I can upwards to get it to hold at all. I've booked the car into the garage for Monday morning but I was just wondering what could cause something like this?

Is it the actual handbrake cable itself coming looser and looser and just needing to be tightened or is it the rear breaks wearing down? Although I hear that they are supposed to be self-adjusting as they wear; could they be completely worn? I know I'll find out after the garage has had a look and they are family friends so will only charge the bare minimum price, I was just wondering how much it normally costs to fix the problems associated with a failing handbrake, such as the cable tightening or rear brakes being replaces etc.

Thanks for reading my long winded post but after all, I do get more XP for every word I write, right?

Lots of Love,
Shaun
x

Xelios

Elite Sage
Apr 15, 2007
I do know that hand brakes get looser over time and need to be tightened, and yes drum brakes do self-adjust. The problem is you have to drive like 10 feet in reverse, then 10 feet forward over and over again, which most people don't do. Thats probably why they dont self-adjust for you.

Not sure on the price though.

Demon2005

Dedicated Member
Jul 2, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
lol, last time I checked, the xp was disabled in the Automotive section.

anyways, ya, most e-brakes to have a self-adjust, and yes, you do have to drive in reverse. Usually, at my work, if a customer like yourself came in with this problem, we would charge about $50 cdn (0.5 hrs labour) to see what's wrong and adjust if there is nothing worn out.

a lot of times, if I am doing a brake check, I will give the e-brake adjuster a click or two to keep it tight.

Dvst8u

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2008
[QUOTE="Shaunyac, post: 0]I have a problemo, it appears that my handbrake has been gradually declining in operation to a point that it's is pretty much useless in all aspects of holding a car in one place.

Over time, it's become slacker and slacker, and now, when I'm on a hill, it doesn't hold even after 5 or so clicks. I have to pull it as hard as I can upwards to get it to hold at all. I've booked the car into the garage for Monday morning but I was just wondering what could cause something like this?

Is it the actual handbrake cable itself coming looser and looser and just needing to be tightened or is it the rear breaks wearing down? Although I hear that they are supposed to be self-adjusting as they wear; could they be completely worn? I know I'll find out after the garage has had a look and they are family friends so will only charge the bare minimum price, I was just wondering how much it normally costs to fix the problems associated with a failing handbrake, such as the cable tightening or rear brakes being replaces etc.

Thanks for reading my long winded post but after all, I do get more XP for every word I write, right?

Lots of Love,
Shaun
x

[/quote]

handbrake cables do stretch but not likely. brake dust builds up aswell on the rear drums (assume its drums). the brakes need to have the dust cleared from them then manually adjusted. to do it right the handbrake cable should be un adjusted then readjusted at the same time. if its disc on the rear possibly seized problem at the handbrake end of the caliper or also need adjusting at the caliper. simple job and not expensive. but im guessing urve had the problem seen to and good luck!

Shaunyac

Master Guru
Dec 24, 2007
Wayles.
Yeah, I've had it fixed now but thanks alot.

Me and a friend did it, was really simple, just had to jack the car up, loosen the handbrake bolt, pump the brake pedal 30 times and tighten it back up, the breaks have been re-adjusted and my handbrake hold strong after only 1 click! :D