Has anyone tried the store demo, yet?

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
Just wanted to gauge people's reactions to finally getting to try the real thing. Did it live up to your expectations, exceed them, or fall short?

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
I haven't played the store demo per se but I've played a lot of it over the course of the last two E3s.

A couple of points:

- Super comfortable to wear.

- There's a notable lack of sharpness in many of the demos, in part due the resolution of the screen I guess, but it's got prominent screen-door effect, too. It's hard to explain but you'll realize it in certain games undoubtedly.

- While the screen-door effect is the biggest issue for me by far it only becomes a problem when games try and do certain things. I mean, when a game's got a distinct visual style like Rez or Psychonauts it's less noticeable, even negligible, but when a game tries to be realistic like Double Human or the Assembly it's pretty apparent. It's disorientating but bearable.

- By-and-large frame rates have been pretty rock solid, only got nausea (I never get it) from The Assembly but that was back in 2015 and they were stressing this year that it's been fixed.

- Move control is hit or miss; can be pretty ham-fisted in places (Double Human) since it's not great for finer movement but works really well for sweeping motions.

Basically, it's a worthy piece of tech and I'll probably pick one up, but more for the indie and smaller stuff rather than fully-fledged 8-hour experiences like Resident Evil 7. I don't think it's powerful enough to make a substantive experience that looks and controls well enough for me to be invested for hours at a time. Five years down the road, however, with updated tech and it'll be incredible.

Last edited:

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
Very strange.. I was thinking this would have more replies by now, but imho, I thought the silk screening effect is much better in PSVR than Oculus and Vive let alone the Gear VR. Sony is using a different display technology which should have the effect of reducing the silk screen. I'm just surprised that was a standing out point to you.

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
For any Aussies interested

You need to register:
https://www.playstation.com/en-au/campaigns/psvr-tour/

Dates:
Westfield Southland, VIC - Sept 10th & 11th
Westfield Knox, VIC - Sept 17th & 18th
Westfield Belconnen, ACT - Sept 24th & 25th
Westfield Parramatta, NSW - Oct 8th & 9th
Westfield Bondi Junction, NSW - Oct 15th & 16th
Westfield Chatswood, NSW - Oct 22nd & 23rd
Westfield Chatswood, NSW - Oct 29th & 30th
Westfield Hornsby, NSW - Nov 12th & 13th
Westfield Garden City, QLD - Nov 19th & 20th
Westfield Garden City, QLD - Nov 26th & 27th

I don't know when the thing releases, but man those dates go far into the future.
PSVR is sold out 3x over in Australia, you'll have to wait for the 4th shipment ie, on shelf stock.
I have to wait for shelf stock, but will be getting one.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
I'm in Japan, and there aren't many places you can try them out yet. They basically only have displays in Tokyo, Osaka, and Fukuoka. The closest to me is Osaka, but you had to register weeks in advance. I showed up at the Sony store, their appointment didn't show up on time, so I sat there for like 10 minutes while the damned thing wasn't being used until their NEXT appointment started. Also, the mall it was in was hideously high class and I felt like I was going to burst into noxious flames just standing there. So, no, still haven't had a chance to try one. The only VR I've tried so far is DK2 and VirtualBox (3rd Party Google Cardboard implementation that, unfortunately, does not have a trigger on it like a proper cardboard set up, making it pretty hard to use as I have to take the phone out every time.)

I suppose it's good I didn't try Vive. It's too expensive, but I would almost certainly be disappointed by the cheaper PSVR. Instead, I had the decidedly inferior experiences of DK2 and Virtualbox. That was good enough for me, so I'm excited for PSVR.

Last edited:

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
[QUOTE="Lefein, post: 6519360]Very strange.. I was thinking this would have more replies by now, but imho, I thought the silk screening effect is much better in PSVR than Oculus and Vive let alone the Gear VR. Sony is using a different display technology which should have the effect of reducing the silk screen. I'm just surprised that was a standing out point to you.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was surprised, too. I mean, it was the same with Serious Sam on the Vive. I think again it's more to do with the aesthetic of the game and how taxing it is on the hardware. That said, if you get lost in the moment it's not something you'll actively notice but focusing on it will make you notice.

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
[QUOTE="Shockwave, post: 6519420]Yeah, I was surprised, too. I mean, it was the same with Serious Sam on the Vive. I think again it's more to do with the aesthetic of the game and how taxing it is on the hardware. That said, if you get lost in the moment it's not something you'll actively notice but focusing on it will make you notice.[/QUOTE]
Only time I noticed SS in PSVR was in the floating menus and when there was a lot of black on the screen. Otherwise, I didn't notice it at all when playing BattleZone in particular. I was very impressed :)

TOM2x

Dedicated Member
Apr 27, 2007
Just tried it yesterday. I played Valkyrie and my wife tried the deep demo (With the shark). After hearing all of the info, it's true, you have to try for yourself. But I was pretty blown away. I would buy one right now if the pre-orders weren't blown out everywhere. But, I'm definitely picking one up. I've already got the move controllers and camera so, all I need is just the standard box setup. Definitely can see where this is going in the future though. Pretty cool, check it out when you get a chance.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
I saw PS4 VR setup at Best Buy yesterday but there was a small line I didn't feel like waiting in. From briefly watching others playing it, they seemed to love it. I have no idea what game they were playing but it was cool to see the players head turn and then the screen image corresponding with their head movements. It will be interesting to see where VR has evolved by next year around this time when Scorpio comes out.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
So one of my friends and his wife got in the lottery at Bic Camera, and they ordered one on amazon.co.jp, too. They won both lotteries, which (we both think, at least) means they can buy 2 on launch day. He offered to let me buy one of them, meaning I would actually get one at launch... Provided winning the Lotto means you can 100% get it day one, and not just in the launch window sometime. So, 2 weeks. I'm hoping it is exactly what it was supposed to be. The only problem is it's the version that comes with the camera (but, apparently, no moves or VR worlds disc) and I already have the camera, so it will be a wasted (whatever the price difference is).