HDD cloning - Possible yet?

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
Has anyone made a program that will clone a partition of the HDD in the PS3? I want to get a bigger HDD but dont want to have to download everything again. If I can just back up the current HDD to my pc then I could even reformat the drive and get my wasted 10GB of Linux space back. Anyone have any reccomendations?

May 10, 2007
you can do a backup of the hdd which i think is what u wish to do.

u just plug in an external hdd (formatted as FAT32) into the usb port of the ps3. goto settings and down to backup and u can backup the contense of your hdd and then just replace the hdd and then go back to the same thing and restore it.

as for the getting rid of the linux part unfortunatly the ps3 is always going to take a minimum of 10gb for otherOS.

S

stirlo

if i get a bigger drive, can i use my PC to clone the disk onto the new one? I cbf re-downloading everything either...

Has sony put some sort of "ID code" on the disk to stop this sort of thing?

May 10, 2007
[QUOTE="stirlo, post: 0]if i get a bigger drive, can i use my PC to clone the disk onto the new one? I cbf re-downloading everything either...

Has sony put some sort of "ID code" on the disk to stop this sort of thing?[/quote]
just follow my instructions above and you wont have any issues.

i dont know why you people want to make such an easy task so hard.

May 2, 2007
Yep, Tonev is absolutely right... It's soooooo easy to back up a PS3! You can just back it up to any external USB drive straight from XMB. Then you replace the drive, and you do a restore. Very simple. Not sure why somebody would want to do it any other way.

May 10, 2007
[QUOTE="deathw, post: 0]wait what filesystem does the ps3 use fat32? if so that sucks no files bigger than 4gb ouch[/quote]
never thought of it that way.

i guess that makes it harder for people to hack the ps3 and put games on the hdd. not that ud want to, id rather pay for a game and help development go further.

Grinchy

Christmas Thief
Feb 9, 2007
A little cave outside of Whooville
That easy method doesn't work for people who don't happen to have an external HDD sitting around though...

I'm looking into whatever method I can use to backup my PS3 HDD so that I don't have to buy an external HDD that I will never use outside of this process.

Let's say you bought a 250gig HDD that you want to put in the PS3. Isn't there any other way to backup your current PS3 files to it without having to buy an external? Isn't there some kind of enclosure or something out there? It's just a huge waste of money to have to buy 2 hard drives when you only need the one.

May 10, 2007
well if u have a usb memory stick big enough maybe 2gb or something i spose that would work but apart from backing it up onto an external source there isnt really any option.

Grinchy

Christmas Thief
Feb 9, 2007
A little cave outside of Whooville
I know almost nothing about this stuff, but I thought I read someone mention that you can buy the internal drive, and then something called an enclosure(maybe?) that turned the internal drive into an external one. You could backup the PS3 files onto that internal drive that you turned into an external, take off the enclosure, and then put the HDD into the PS3.

I just don't know if that actually works, or if it's real in the first place. I really want to put a big HDD in my PS3, but I can't justify buying an external hard drive that I don't need for anything :(

May 10, 2007
im not sure how the ps3 actually backs up the files but wat u can do is

buy the new hdd for the ps3 and also buy an enclosure. that enclosure will turn the new hdd into an external one, then u backup onto that and then copy those files onto your pc. then format the new one and put it in the ps3 and then i guess you could make the one that was in the ps3 the external one and copy the files off your pc onto that one and then restore your ps3.

ud have to make sure the enclosure supports SATA as the ps3 hdd is a SATA drive.

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
If I am not mistaken though, doesnt the backup function only back up the videos/music/phots and game saves? I dont believe that it will actually back up all of your installed games. Someone please prove me wrong on this one because I have an external drive, but I really dont think that it will back up my downloaded games and as I mentioned, I do not want to spend the time re downloading all of them and I wouldnt be able to get GTHD again either because if I remember correctly, its not offered anymore....

May 10, 2007
The actual replace procedure is very simple. Make sure you first update your PS3 via a detachable HDD (FAT32 is required here) or a large Flash card as you wanna make sure that your game saves survive the disk change. The problem with the backup function of the PS3 is it's inability to backup both, your preferences and your account data. Depending on how many accounts you have ;-), this is a tedious task. So, make sure you have all the account data written down somewhere. Just in case. As you can redownload games purchased in the PSN Store and you can also reinstall games from disk, you might not need to backup everything anyway.
i have taken this from http://playstation-disorder.com/comments.php?blog_id=752& to me it looks as though u can back them up onto a hdd.

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
[QUOTE="tonev, post: 0]i have taken this from http://playstation-disorder.com/comments.php?blog_id=752& to me it looks as though u can back them up onto a hdd.[/quote]

That still doesnt confirm that it backs up games. It says that you can reinstall games from disk (a la Resistance, and Warhawk BR Disc) and redownload from the store (but if the game doesnt exist in the store anymore, you cant download it.)

This is why I want an imaging program. So that I can make an image of the hard drive (a COMPLETE backup) and then copy that image back over to an new drive with a bigger partition. I find it hard to believe that no one here has done this or knows what I am talking about. Its fairly common in the pc industry, I just have never done it before and would like to know a good program...

May 10, 2007
[QUOTE="takuya, post: 0]That still doesnt confirm that it backs up games. It says that you can reinstall games from disk (a la Resistance, and Warhawk BR Disc) and redownload from the store (but if the game doesnt exist in the store anymore, you cant download it.)

This is why I want an imaging program. So that I can make an image of the hard drive (a COMPLETE backup) and then copy that image back over to an new drive with a bigger partition. I find it hard to believe that no one here has done this or knows what I am talking about. Its fairly common in the pc industry, I just have never done it before and would like to know a good program...[/quote]
if you are after a program use Partition Magic. but i dont know wether u can do an image/ghost of a ps3 hdd as a pc may not read it.

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
Ah! Ghost. Maybe that will work. Anyone know of a cheap SATA adapter for the pc? I will need to pump the image into my pc but I dont have any sata ports...

May 10, 2007
[QUOTE="takuya, post: 0]Ah! Ghost. Maybe that will work. Anyone know of a cheap SATA adapter for the pc? I will need to pump the image into my pc but I dont have any sata ports...[/quote]
as im from australia i dont know any stores in america, but just buy a PCI SATA card. in australia they are no more than about $40 so they are that expensive.

Dec 1, 2006
I just thought I'd mention that the 4GB FAT32 limitation is only in windows. You should have no problems backing up more than 4GB on the PS3. I think mine was around 6GB when I backed up, no problems.

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
[QUOTE="JordanIsHere, post: 0]I just thought I'd mention that the 4GB FAT32 limitation is only in windows. You should have no problems backing up more than 4GB on the PS3. I think mine was around 6GB when I backed up, no problems.[/quote]
FYI its only a 4 GB file limit - i.e. one file, by itself cannot exceed the 4GB size. To my knowledge, there isnt a single thing on the PS3 yet that has a 4GB file size, so I would have no issues moving anything to a FAT32 USB drive. My only problem is that I want a complete drive image, not just the files on the drive. Looks like I will be backing up one way or another, becuause I need to take this sucker back to Gamestop and get me a new one. See my post a few above for the link as to why.

Parasitic

Apprentice
Dec 21, 2006
If you plan on doing a HD swap why don't you try the following:
  1. Buy a external 2.5" HD case ($20+)
  2. Buy the New HD and use the case to make a temporary external HD
    (You need to explicitly format the HD in FAT32 because default for XP/Vista is NTFS)
  3. Backup, then move the files to your PC
  4. Format the new HD and swap your PS3 HD
  5. Now use the old PS3 HD in your new external HD
  6. Format, move the backup back external HD and restore your PS3

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
[QUOTE="Parasitic, post: 0]If you plan on doing a HD swap why don't you try the following:
  1. Buy a external 2.5" HD case ($20+)
  2. Buy the New HD and use the case to make a temporary external HD
    (You need to explicitly format the HD in FAT32 because default for XP/Vista is NTFS)
  3. Backup, then move the files to your PC
  4. Format the new HD and swap your PS3 HD
  5. Now use the old PS3 HD in your new external HD
  6. Format, move the backup back external HD and restore your PS3
[/quote]
That might work, but it appears that Ghost has a problem with external drives sometimes so I decided to play it safe and ordered an internal SATA port PCI card so that I can add the PS3 HDD to my pc and Ghost it that way. It should work, but now with the other problem thta I am having with the thing, I think I am going to have to take it in the Gamestop and get it replaced via the warrantee. I just talked to the Gamestop guy on the phone and he said I could even keep my hard drive, we could just swap it out. Dont know if his manager will approve, but we shall see.

Parasitic

Apprentice
Dec 21, 2006
Well, if it works out for you I say go for it.

The PS3 will format and install the OS on the new HD so cloning it will only save a little bit of time. Also the backup contains just your download/save files. Plus you never know when an external drive will come in handy instead of buying an internal controller card. Either way good luck hopefully it works out.

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
[QUOTE="Parasitic, post: 0]Well, if it works out for you I say go for it.

The PS3 will format and install the OS on the new HD so cloning it will only save a little bit of time. Also the backup contains just your download/save files. Plus you never know when an external drive will come in handy instead of buying an internal controller card. Either way good luck hopefully it works out.[/quote]

Thanks man for the vote of confidence! I am always in my PC anyway so it really makes no difference to me that I got the internal card, except for the fact that I dont have to find a wall outlet to plug the drive into, I can just plug it into the molex via an adapter.