HDMI - 2 Devices, one input. Cable vs. PS3

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
So I jsut got hooked up with digital cable with HD and DVR capabilities. I also have my PS3. Currently the PS3 is hooked up via the HDMI port on my TV with optical audio to my receiver. Looks and works great! Problem is, the new DVR unit ALSO has HDMI and I only have one port on the TV. My question is this:

Can I still get the HD picture if I use the beefy component cables that the cable guy gave me, or do I need the HDMI and need to switch it between the PS3 and cable box for the time being?

I know a bit about HDMI and such, but havent really read anything on component cables as it has never applied to me until now. Does the RGB connection provide at least 720p resolution? I hope so, because I really dont want to have to buy an HDMI switcher box to use until I get an HDMI switching receiver.

Please let me know what you can.

AndyD

Oct 3, 2006
Use component for cable box and HDMI for PS3. Simple. HDMI is required for PS3 for some Bluray features if I remember right... Whereas your cable box will work via component just the same.

Apr 23, 2007
www.iahawkeye.com
You can get 720p over component cables unless the tv has content protection built in and won't allow it. This is the setup I currently have for my tv which does 1080p for ps3 and 1080i for cable

hgmaster

Superior Member
Jul 1, 2007
[QUOTE="takuya, post: 0]So I jsut got hooked up with digital cable with HD and DVR capabilities. I also have my PS3. Currently the PS3 is hooked up via the HDMI port on my TV with optical audio to my receiver. Looks and works great! Problem is, the new DVR unit ALSO has HDMI and I only have one port on the TV. My question is this:

Can I still get the HD picture if I use the beefy component cables that the cable guy gave me, or do I need the HDMI and need to switch it between the PS3 and cable box for the time being?

I know a bit about HDMI and such, but havent really read anything on component cables as it has never applied to me until now. Does the RGB connection provide at least 720p resolution? I hope so, because I really dont want to have to buy an HDMI switcher box to use until I get an HDMI switching receiver.

Please let me know what you can.[/quote]

Well one thing I do know about is cable boxes and I say just use components for your cable box and the HDMI for your PS3. I have tested out many TVs and many cable boxes, HDMI vs. component cables. You just aren't gonna notice a real difference using the HDMI out of your cable box. Skip buying the switch all together, it would be a waste IMO. I should point out that I am referring to the SA8300HD that scientific Atlantic offers most cable companies, just in case your using a different kind.

Oct 18, 2006
[QUOTE="AndyD, post: 0]Use component for cable box and HDMI for PS3. Simple. HDMI is required for PS3 for some Bluray features if I remember right... Whereas your cable box will work via component just the same.[/quote]

Exactly! The PS3 will benefit more from HDMI than the cable box will...your only other options would be to get a HDMI switcher or get a newer receiver with HDMI switching built it (which would be good because then most of them will upscale any SD content to HD resolutions over HDMI, which helps the picture look a little better than it normally would have over standard SD connections)

upnorthsox

Superior Member
Aug 13, 2007
The answer is, it depends.

Does your tv's component inputs process hd signals? If so, does the tv process hd signals from more than one device? I ask because many tv's and esp. those with only one hdmi/dvi input do not auto sense on their component inputs and thus descale everything to 480p. Even those that do might not allow more than one hd device attached at a time. The quickest would be to just test your hd converter on the component input by going to a known hd channel and seeing if you get it in hd. If it does you should be golden, if not you'll need to get a switch box.

A

Armandeus

What u need is an HDMI switch box, they sale for about $60 and then you can have both conected with HDMI it will give you better picture and also less cables around only 2 insted 5 or 6 you will be glad not having all the mess of cables , that is the way i have it and belive it me is not a waste like someone sugest, you will see the diference betwen componets and HDMI( i have dishnetwork with almost 50 HD channels and yes i see the diference)and like i toll you before you will rather have 2 or 1 cable than 6 or 7 cables around.
Sorry for those that say that is no diference well have 4 HD tv's (Sony Bravia,Sharp Aquos,Samsumg and Vizio) and i tested all and yes the images look sharper with HDMI in my opinion

Oct 2, 2006
[QUOTE="Armandeus, post: 0]What u need is an HDMI switch box, they sale for about $60 and then you can have both conected with HDMI it will give you better picture and also less cables around only 2 insted 5 or 6 you eill be glad not having all the mess of cables , that is the way i have it and belive it me is not a waste like someone sugest, you will see the diference betwen componets and HDMI( i have dishnetwork with almost 50 HD channels and yes i see the diference)and like i toll you before you will rather 2 or 1 cable than 6 or 7 cables around.
Sorry for those that say that is no diference well have 4 HD tv's (Sony Bravia,Sharp Aquos,Samsumg and Vizio) and i tested all and yes the images look sharper with HDMI in my opinion[/quote]If you're paying $60 for an HDMI switch (one that is not 5x1+, when he only needs 2 inputs), you've been taken. Monoprice.com (as others above me have suggested) has great quality switches at a fraction of the price (even remote switches for only $32. - manual push button ones run from $18.):
http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=hdmi+switch&x=0&y=0[QUOTE="Neostorm99, post: 0]You can get 720p over component cables unless the tv has content protection built in and won't allow it. This is the setup I currently have for my tv which does 1080p for ps3 and 1080i for cable[/quote]Component is perfectly capable of handling up to and including 1080p. You can get 720p AND 1080i out of your cable box by using component. HDMI is not necessary. It is only preferred because it is completely digital as opposed to analog.

lpburk2

Apprentice
Oct 12, 2006
[QUOTE="takuya, post: 0]Does the RGB connection provide at least 720p resolution?[/quote]

I use the component output from my cable box, and the signal is 1080i. Unless your television has some feature I'm not aware of, you should be fine.

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
[QUOTE="upnorthsox, post: 0]The answer is, it depends.

Does your tv's component inputs process hd signals? If so, does the tv process hd signals from more than one device? I ask because many tv's and esp. those with only one hdmi/dvi input do not auto sense on their component inputs and thus descale everything to 480p. Even those that do might not allow more than one hd device attached at a time. The quickest would be to just test your hd converter on the component input by going to a known hd channel and seeing if you get it in hd. If it does you should be golden, if not you'll need to get a switch box.[/quote]

I do not know if the TV processes HD signals on all inputs...I will have to check, unless someone knows if the 32" Bravia's from last year do.

Thanks for all the input guys, I knew you would all come through for me. Basically I am seeing (with some varied input) that the way to go is the component from the HD DVR box for the cable tv and HDMI for the PS3 (which wasnt in question, I KNEW I wanted that much...) The cables that they gave me are pretty beefy, so I shouldnt have to go and buy some Monsters or whatever and they should retain the signal quality fairly well. If the TV processes the HD signal from the component input (which i would think it should, being so new) I will use the components for the HD cableTV. If not, then it looks like a switch is my only option. I will have to order an HDMI cable from monoprice.com if I go that route anyway, so I may as well pick up a remote switch at the same time (again, IF I need to go that way.)

Thanks again all!

Nov 30, 2006
I'm just going to throw my experience in here. I have 3 HDMI sources including my PS3, HD dish, and surround sound. I put the PS3 and dish into an HDMI splitter and linked that to my surround sound and then up to the tv. Here is the problem, Blue-ray cannot run through another source like a splitter or surround sound (look it up, it doesn't work). So I have changed to hooking up both the PS3 and HD dish to the TV directly through HDMI and then running fiber optic from the TV to the surround sound. It works perfectly now.

This is just something to think about when it comes to Blue-rays and it might save people the $60 that I spent.

badz_ps3

Master Poster
Mar 21, 2006
ps3forums.com
Since you didnt ask this in the "ASK A QUESTION THREAD"...... ill just answer i suppose

either get an hdmi switcher, or just use component for the HD cablebox.

the reason why is because cable service providers run off analog (coax carries an analog signal) so its actually said to be better to use component for analog based signals, rather than having to convert it from analog to digital.

ps3 is ofcourse full digital so it will get better use out of the 1 hdmi port you have

m9105826

Dedicated Member
Jan 15, 2006
Cable companies don't transtmit in higher than 720p at this point. Component handles 720p just fine. PS3 can output in 1080p. I doubt your TV takes 1080p over component. Stick with HDMI for the PS3, Component for the box, and skip the switcher altogether unless you have a 55"+ TV.

twh116

Apprentice
May 13, 2006
use hdmi for ps3 and component for cable. don't buy the switch. you don't need it. hdmi is slightly better, but the difference is really only noticeable within inches of the tv. cable doesn't need hdmi since all it does is 720p and 1080i.

upnorthsox

Superior Member
Aug 13, 2007
[QUOTE="m9105826, post: 0]Cable companies don't transtmit in higher than 720p at this point. Component handles 720p just fine. PS3 can output in 1080p. I doubt your TV takes 1080p over component. Stick with HDMI for the PS3, Component for the box, and skip the switcher altogether unless you have a 55"+ TV.[/quote]

This is wrong, only ABC/espn currently transmits in 720p all others use 1080i. Cable companies do not transmit, they do nothing more than carry the signal to you. In fact it's illegal for them to knowingly alter/degrade the signal.

Again, the question is does your TV's component interface handle 1080i? Some do, many don't. if it does your fine, if it doesn't it'll scale it down to 480P. The easiest way to tell is to hook your HD cable box up thru the component input and go to a known HD channel and see if your displaying in HD. If not you either need an hdmi switch box or manually switch the hdmi cable between cable box and ps3(a PIA). I would recommend you only use an hdmi cable for the ps3.

hgmaster

Superior Member
Jul 1, 2007
[QUOTE="upnorthsox, post: 0]This is wrong, only ABC/espn currently transmits in 720p all others use 1080i. Cable companies do not transmit, they do nothing more than carry the signal to you. In fact it's illegal for them to knowingly alter/degrade the signal.

Again, the question is does your TV's component interface handle 1080i? Some do, many don't. if it does your fine, if it doesn't it'll scale it down to 480P. The easiest way to tell is to hook your HD cable box up thru the component input and go to a known HD channel and see if your displaying in HD. If not you either need an hdmi switch box or manually switch the hdmi cable between cable box and ps3(a PIA). I would recommend you only use an hdmi cable for the ps3.[/quote]

Very true, and to go a little further on the subject, I dont think they ever will transmit a 1080p signal. Heavy on bandwidth, well maybe one day when all of the non HD tvs are finally dead:-|

Aug 16, 2007
use your ps3 for hdmi because your ps3 will at least output 1080p. Your cable provider's HD progamming probably only outputs 480 or 720 p.

May 21, 2007
Do not run HDMI for you cable box...

STD Channels are known to look like sh!t over HDMI.
You HD Channels will look fine over HDMI but look the same on component.

Your HDTV box will run 1080i on the componenet cable.

I am on a HDTV forum, and many people have discussed the quality of the STD/HD Channels over the 2 cables.

PS3 - HDMI
HDTV - Component

PS: when your HDTV box is off, push the menu button. This will take you to your settings. You can adjust the output

A

Addy711

You mention using s splitter. Did you mean a switch box or did you use a splitter? The HDMI switch box from monoprice states HDCP support, so I’m expecting mine to work for blue-ray. Guess I’ll have to grab a disc and find out for myself…

[QUOTE="Gamewave, post: 0]I'm just going to throw my experience in here. I have 3 HDMI sources including my PS3, HD dish, and surround sound. I put the PS3 and dish into an HDMI splitter and linked that to my surround sound and then up to the tv. Here is the problem, Blue-ray cannot run through another source like a splitter or surround sound (look it up, it doesn't work). So I have changed to hooking up both the PS3 and HD dish to the TV directly through HDMI and then running fiber optic from the TV to the surround sound. It works perfectly now.

This is just something to think about when it comes to Blue-rays and it might save people the $60 that I spent.[/quote]

Metfanant

Forum Sage
Apr 12, 2006
NY
where to start in this thread....ok....so you just got a nice new HD DVR setup (congrats btw) and now you have hooked it to the TV....first off...what kind of TV do you have?...I'm going to assume that its a SLIGHTLY older TV since it only has one HDMI input (considering even my discontinued Samsung 32" LCD has two HDMI inputs (only 1 component though argh!)....because of this I'm also going to have to ask if your TV even supports 1080p in the first place?....mine does not 720p/1080i here....now anyways moving on....

this thread is showing me that some people on these forums are too caught up in the "HDMI/1080p/True High Def/gotta have the uber setup craze".....

Now....here are my suggestions....im going to run through my suggestions not knowing anything about your "high roller" status....ill get my "HDMI/1080p/True High Def/gotta have the uber setup craze" stuff out of the way first....

#1 If money is not an option this is what you are going to do....you are going to go out and buy a nice sound system with a quality reciever....this is going to allow you connect all your devices (speakers, PS3, DVD player, Set top box/DVR) into the recievers multiple outputs (a good one should have a couple HDMI and various component inputs) this is going to give you the best options as far as using your devices to their highest specifications (HDCP compliant, 1080p support etc) and will allow for proper switching between sources, not to mention giving you proper audio to go with your TV's picture....this is the route I will eventually be going....

#2 a slight step down....you could go with a nice "home theater" style DVD player....a higher quality player will give you DVD upscaling as well as offering multiple inputs on the back to then send to your TV...this is a nice secondary option as it will give you a proper home theater centering around a quality DVD player and will also fix all your current issues....

#3 pick up a solid reciever like mentioned in #1 but minus the surround sound....you can just use a nice home theater reciever with a couple HDMI inputs, and some component inputs...again will fix all your current "problems....

#4 you could go with a splitter that has already been suggested....I have not looked into HDMI splitters all that much honestly, so I do not know much about their HDCP abilities for Blu-Ray output.....DONT DO THIS....WASTE OF MONEY!

#5 THIS is what you are going to do (unless money is not an option)....DO NOT EVEN WASTE YOUR MONEY ON AN HDMI SPLITTER....use HDMI for the PS3 and Component for HDTV....HDTV is not broadcast in 1080p (and will not be for the forseeable future)....because of this HDMI is not needed...it is nice because audio and video is carried on the same cable, but totally not needed....component will carry all the signals that TV is broadcast in 480i/480p/720p/1080i just fine.....

I don't see any sort of issues with your TV not being able to handle HD signals from more than one source that have been mentioned....any other questions feel free to PM or post here....

m9105826

Dedicated Member
Jan 15, 2006
[QUOTE="upnorthsox, post: 0]This is wrong, only ABC/espn currently transmits in 720p all others use 1080i. Cable companies do not transmit, they do nothing more than carry the signal to you. In fact it's illegal for them to knowingly alter/degrade the signal.

Again, the question is does your TV's component interface handle 1080i? Some do, many don't. if it does your fine, if it doesn't it'll scale it down to 480P. The easiest way to tell is to hook your HD cable box up thru the component input and go to a known HD channel and see if your displaying in HD. If not you either need an hdmi switch box or manually switch the hdmi cable between cable box and ps3(a PIA). I would recommend you only use an hdmi cable for the ps3.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I consider 720p to be "higher" than 1080i.

takuya

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2006
www.tupeck.com
I tested it out last night with the Component/HDMI setup (Cable/PS3) and it works well. I wasnt sure if the component would pass the HD signal, but it does. My reasoning for this was that component hookups were around before HD was, so I wasnt sure if they were compatible. Doofus, its analog. It could pass anything it needed to as long as the signal was analog....

Anyway, both HDTV and PS3 look great and I dont have to split/switch ANYTHING!

Thanks for all the input guys! It really was a help.

hgmaster

Superior Member
Jul 1, 2007
[QUOTE="takuya, post: 0]I tested it out last night with the Component/HDMI setup (Cable/PS3) and it works well. I wasnt sure if the component would pass the HD signal, but it does. My reasoning for this was that component hookups were around before HD was, so I wasnt sure if they were compatible. Doofus, its analog. It could pass anything it needed to as long as the signal was analog....

Anyway, both HDTV and PS3 look great and I dont have to split/switch ANYTHING!

Thanks for all the input guys! It really was a help.[/quote]

Yeap, this was original know as color stream technology. If you have a TV with this you can still hook up your cable box using the components. You just need to go into the HD settings and make it output only 480i, or whatever will resolution will display. To do this turn the cable box off, and hold down the guide and info button. You will get a nicer picture from the componets over color stream techn, also this will allow you to watch the HD channels, just wont be real hd of course.