Hdmi

LM-93

Elite Member
Aug 27, 2008
Cleethorpes
I'm reading a lot of things on the Internet and most of the information is very conflicting.
So I figured I'd ask you guys as the majority of you actually know what you're talking about and actually explain your reasoning.

I know that whether you spend £3 or £100 on an HDMI cable the effect will be the same, after all the cable is only transferring data, so regardless of the price tag they do the same things and as far as I know, perform equally despite arguments that expensive ones display better pictures, blacks pr what have you.

So after clearing that up, I'm reading that image quality IS actually effected by the length of the wire, which the reasoning is that with the data having to travel further, some of it is lost. Apparently..

A) yes I'm wondering if that is true, because the foreground in games I'm running currently does look pretty swell on my new Sony Bravia
However, the backgrounds seem so jaggered, distorted and ugly. My cable is either 3 or 5 metres in length which is too long, if getting shorter will improve any experience, that would be motivation enough to rectify my needlessly long cable cluttering up the floor.

Ok so point B
Is that whilst purchasing my new TV the guy tried selling me a terribly overpriced HDMI cable. However he did say it was HDMI 2.0 and the newest cable available and is revolutionary etc etc.
So I understand this jerkoff is selling me a cable that I can pick up considerably cheaper elsewhere despite being 2.0
My question is though, what is the difference between the cables released with the PS4 and the 2.0 cable, apparently more data can be transferred with the newer version (which can be picked up for cheap) but I don't know what to believe.
Needless to say, I'm abit of a noob.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
I'm going to say with a reasonable amount of confidence that it's rubbish and any HDMI cable will be as good as another. If you are only transferring digital data (which you are) then the cable could be a millimeter long or a mile long but 1's will be 1's and 0's will be 0's will they not?

edit: as for the second part i'm not sure more data is even relevant either. If you're getting an signal in and out then what more data could you possibly need?

Last edited:

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
In terms of audio, video, and anything in general, the longer it has to travel then the quality degrades, however anything up to 10 metres you should not notice any performance issues at all. If you happen to be powering something as well as transfer data like a USB connection for around 10 metres then you can notice a power issue but the data is generally fine. Even cables up to 20 metres is fine to be honest.

Just get yourself a standard HDMI cable as HDMI 2 is only worthwhile if your TV has an HDMI 2 connection and is UHD compatible of up to 60Hz. If you have a UHD TV that can only display that image at 30Hz then it will most likely have an HDMI 1.4 connection. The only difference between HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 that consumers need to be aware of is data transfer rates which is this:

1.4: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
2.0: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], 21:9 ratio compatibility @ 60Hz

Just stick with an HDMI 1.4 lead mate, UHD is not required for a long time yet.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
I didn't think of the argument in the case of a long cable Varsh. So in the name of a little education...

You mention that a cable up to about 20m should be Ok but would it be fair to say that is not a very common instance for most peeps and their gaming requirements right? Most peeps would have their machine only a few metres away from their monitor or TV and so would most likely only have a cable of a few metres in length. So for me the sales pitch of "it's gold plated" or "it's 2.0" is fairly silly and just a way to wrangle a few more £££ out of you. I can understand though the UHD bit, which is basically the 4K stuff that's new on the block, so will therefore NEED that extra data that LM mentions. Would you agree?

Last edited:

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
Pretty much it. Even if you did have a UHD TV that was capable of 60Hz it is completely pointless to still get an HDMI 2.0 cable because there is literally nothing on the market for consumers that can display anything at that rate yet. If you really wanted 60Hz so much and did want to have UHD then the only viable option is a PC monitor using Display Port, but then you lose the TV capabilities unless you use Sky Go or something similar, but then the picture quality on Sky Go is crap.

99.99% of consumers will never ever require a lead beyond 5m and so they will never ever have any issues with loss of quality. It's generally only those that are in the industry that require leads that are that long as they're using massive halls, then again they're most likely using projectors so having something that long is pointless again.

Anything over 20m will most likely require extra thick wire and braiding to prevent electrical interference and twisting. While HDMI is touted as optical, it's actually still copper wire (except for the audio) and not optical like SPDIF however. The copper wire has extra silver wrapping within its sleeve for extra insulation anyway.

LM-93

Elite Member
Aug 27, 2008
Cleethorpes
Thanks for the help guys, just wanted things explained properly without some shitty sales pitch
These guys lie out of their arses to achieve quotas etc so information they supply is never reliable.
Much appreciated :)

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
Just to chip in over the length of HDMi cables, I have a 20 metre cable hooked up to my projector at the other end of the room where the PS4 is and initially had a poor picture/slight static on the image, a repeater rectified this and it's been fine since.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Monoprice is where I get all my cables. I've never been disappointed. And they've done specific studies showing the overly priced cables aren't of any better quality than the cheap ones. You're just paying for marketing and brand recognition, which isn't worth the 1,000% price hike.

LM-93

Elite Member
Aug 27, 2008
Cleethorpes
[QUOTE="GazzaGSi, post: 6419861]Just to chip in over the length of HDMi cables, I have a 20 metre cable hooked up to my projector at the other end of the room where the PS4 is and initially had a poor picture/slight static on the image, a repeater rectified this and it's been fine since.[/QUOTE]

Gaz do you mind sharing your setup on your W8
Something isn't quite right with mine