HDR Patches Could Have a Fee on Some Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
BY MATT PORTER PlayStation 4 will be bringing high dynamic range support to existing games, but it could end up costing you to get the patches.
Earlier this week, Sony confirmed that an upcoming update will make all existing PS4s HDR-compatible, and the general assumption was that HDR patches for games would subsequently arrive for free.
However, Game Impress Watch (as translated by Kotaku) spoke to Sony's Masayasu Ito about whether patches will be paid for by users, and the answers are so far fairly vague.

What follows is Kotaku's translated text of the interview. It's worth bearing in mind that translation can result in the specifics of a conversation being lost, and that Game Impress Watch appears never to specifically mention consumers, meaning Ito could be referring to a cost for patches for those developers and publishers releasing them:
Game Impress Watch: For the 4K HDR patch for existing titles, will it cost money? Or will it be free?
Ito: It will be different for each title. I believe it will depend on the thinking of each [third party] licensee.
Game Impress Watch: What about Sony Interactive Entertainment?
Ito: I think it will vary for each one of our titles.
Game Impress Watch: What you’re saying is that there will be titles that have a fee [for the patch] and [patches for the] titles that are free.
Ito: That is correct.
Sony announced the PlayStation 4 Pro, which will support HDR and 4K output, earlier this week. It'll be available on November 10, and cost $399 / £349.
Check out IGN's wiki page if you want to see how the new console stacks up against the existing PS4, and against the new Xbox One S.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/09/09/playstation-4-hdr-patches-could-cost-money

Ugh...

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
So what comes next? I can see clearly, if someone asks money for a visual patch, they can also ask for a higher value of pro edition. So here it goes, ps4 60 $ ps pro 70$?

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
This is up to the developers. They do not have to charge for updates to older titles. But if it costs them money to make these patches, then I think it would be fair to charge a small price for the visual upgrade. They need to make money still. New games would not likely have this charge for the patches.

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
Lol @charging for HDR patches. That's one of the most absurd lines of thinking I've heard in a while.

edit:

Had to do some searching to get some info on this ridiculous idea.

[LINK]

Last edited:

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6520322]Lol @charging for HDR patches. That's one of the most absurd lines of thinking I've heard in a while.

edit:

Had to do some searching to get some info on this ridiculous idea.

[LINK][/QUOTE]

Ito needs to stop taking English interviews. Oh wait that's a Japanese site. Lol

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
Can someone smart explain what the HDR update next week is going to do? I'm assuming that it only benefits those who own a 4K/UHD TV...? What is the difference between the HDR update and the PS4 Pro specs/output? Sorry if these are dumb questions but I'm just curious.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
Imagine all the people who'll invest in a PS4 Pro but won't buy the HDR patches which is one of the only actual reasons to get a PS4 pro :lol:

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
Thank you although it doesn't really answer my questions. I'm curious if the HDR PS4 update we're all getting next week only benefits 4K/UHD TV owners. How does this update differ from 4K or what PS4 Pro is going to provide? What is the difference between 4K and HDR?

Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
[QUOTE="Chewbacca, post: 6520341]Thank you although it doesn't really answer my questions. I'm curious if the HDR PS4 update we're all getting next week only benefits 4K/UHD TV owners. How does this update differ from 4K or what PS4 Pro is going to provide? What is the difference between 4K and HDR?[/QUOTE]
4k is the res. HDR is the color.

Not all 4k TV's can do HDR of which there are 2 formats that I know of. HDR10 (X1S uses this) and DolbyVision. No 1080p TV's that I know of can do HDR and with the ever increasing availability of 4k TV's, I'd imagine we may never see it on 1080p.

I've always thought HDR was hardware based, so very interested in how Sony are doing this on the new systems and what HDR format they are using as not all HDR sets can run both formats.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Yungstar 2006, post: 6520345]4k is the res. HDR is the color.

Not all 4k TV's can do HDR of which there are 2 formats that I know of. HDR10 (X1S uses this) and DolbyVision. No 1080p TV's that I know of can do HDR and with the ever increasing availability of 4k TV's, I'd imagine we may never see it on 1080p.

I've always thought HDR was hardware based, so very interested in how Sony are doing this on the new systems and what HDR format they are using as not all HDR sets can run both formats.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing HDR10 because that's what their tvs use. Know Dolby Vision is higher quality but it comes with a higher price for the tech and it can't be patched. I think it faces a very uphill battle to beat out HDR10 as the HDR format standard.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
The PS4 can only do HDR10 and won't be able to do Dolby Vision. DV is done by integrated hardware, whereas HDR10 can be patched in via software updates.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6520356]The PS4 can only do HDR10 and won't be able to do Dolby Vision. DV is done by integrated hardware, whereas HDR10 can be patched in via software updates.[/QUOTE]

Yeah and that's where i think DV will fail. Increased costs to sets when they are trying to lower prices and get them in more homes i just don't see that catching on. But from what i hear it's definitely better.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
Thank you Yungstar 2006 for the info on HDR and 4K. I appreciate it.

Just bought a brand new XB1S tonight and it wouldn't power on. I'm going to return it tomorrow but I'm debating on getting a replacement or full refund. The 1-2 star reviews I'm reading talk about how so-so the UHD/4K blu-ray player is and that the console itself runs a bit slow. Plus I had a hard time finding more than 8 exclusives I'd want to buy at this point in time. No wonder PS4 is out selling XB1...

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6520369]Yeah and that's where i think DV will fail. Increased costs to sets when they are trying to lower prices and get them in more homes i just don't see that catching on. But from what i hear it's definitely better.[/QUOTE]

Nah, it's going to make HDR10 look bad. It's not making the costs go up that much, if anything really. My P65 (Vizio) at launch was $1,999. It's ahead of HDR10 in quality for sure.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6520372]Nah, it's going to make HDR10 look bad. It's not making the costs go up that much, if anything really. My P65 (Vizio) at launch was $1,999. It's ahead of HDR10 in quality for sure.[/QUOTE]

But It's limited to streaming only right now which does me zero good. But I'm in a minority there. I just don't see it becoming the standard when most are adopting HDR10 right now but It's really early to say. If next years Samsung and Sony models have Dolby it might catch on. Because those are two of the biggest players I the game of tv's. If they don't focus on it, i don't see it panning out well in the future. As we've always seen with format wars price usually trumps quality.

But vizio is always an exception too the rule. They always seem too pack quality in for a competitive price. I've been thinking hard about the p series but the damn thing just isn't in stock in most places and its only been on sale once. I've been watching it and the ks8000 like a hawk. Lol But I'm probably going with the Samsung. Especially if i can get it for 200 cheaper which is the case for the last two weeks. Also the vizio only supports hdr on inputs other that the game input which has a much better lag compensation.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
[QUOTE="Chewbacca, post: 6520370]Thank you Yungstar 2006 for the info on HDR and 4K. I appreciate it.

Just bought a brand new XB1S tonight and it wouldn't power on. I'm going to return it tomorrow but I'm debating on getting a replacement or full refund. The 1-2 star reviews I'm reading talk about how so-so the UHD/4K blu-ray player is and that the console itself runs a bit slow.[/QUOTE]
the one thing i noticed straight away with One S is how good it upscales 360 and X1 games to 4k. a quite noticable difference over my Day One X1 being upscaled by the TV.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="Yungstar 2006, post: 6520386]the one thing i noticed straight away with One S is how good it upscales 360 and X1 games to 4k. a quite noticable difference over my Day One X1 being upscaled by the TV.[/QUOTE]

I'll keep that in mind. Going to the store in about 90 minutes and I'm just going to decide on the spot, assuming they have any in stock. When I got XB1S last night, I had to go to 3 different stores to find one carrying the 2TB model.

I've read that after you download the initial update you're down to 1.6TB. There was no way I was going with the 500GB or 1TB model especially when it seems XB1 is more download/digital heavy than PS4 (factoring in 360 BC).

Edit - Got a replacement XB1S 2TB and it works fine so far. :)

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6520374]But It's limited to streaming only right now which does me zero good. But I'm in a minority there. I just don't see it becoming the standard when most are adopting HDR10 right now but It's really early to say. If next years Samsung and Sony models have Dolby it might catch on. Because those are two of the biggest players I the game of tv's. If they don't focus on it, i don't see it panning out well in the future. As we've always seen with format wars price usually trumps quality.

But vizio is always an exception too the rule. They always seem too pack quality in for a competitive price. I've been thinking hard about the p series but the damn thing just isn't in stock in most places and its only been on sale once. I've been watching it and the ks8000 like a hawk. Lol But I'm probably going with the Samsung. Especially if i can get it for 200 cheaper which is the case for the last two weeks. Also the vizio only supports hdr on inputs other that the game input which has a much better lag compensation.[/QUOTE]

If it doesn't have Dolby Vision, I wouldn't get it. The only reasons I didn't get the ks8000 is it doesn't have DV, and it's edge lit.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
It is clear people are way more confused than they should be with this hdr 4k bullshit. Sony should make a Damn tv and advertise as a best tv for pro. Same applies to Ms

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Yungstar 2006, post: 6520386]the one thing i noticed straight away with One S is how good it upscales 360 and X1 games to 4k. a quite noticable difference over my Day One X1 being upscaled by the TV.[/QUOTE]

I agree. It looks awesome! Killer Instinct looks so damn gorgeous in 2160p

[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6520392]If it doesn't have Dolby Vision, I wouldn't get it. The only reasons I didn't get the ks8000 is it doesn't have DV, and it's edge lit.[/QUOTE]

I personally think the Vizio M and P series are the best 4K options right now. And I just used the full calibration settings from rtings.com and my picture looks incredible. Regular TV now looks very crisp and the colors are even more eye popping.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6520392]If it doesn't have Dolby Vision, I wouldn't get it. The only reasons I didn't get the ks8000 is it doesn't have DV, and it's edge lit.[/QUOTE]

Well Vizio is obviously having supply issues with the tv Because i can't find it at any best But within a 250 mile radius. Kind of hard for me to get it. I want an OLED but don't want a car note. Lol

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
I don't know how this became an issue in the first place. Both Sony and Microsoft charge developers and publishers for game patches. Hell, Nintendo does as well if I remember correctly.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6520403]Well Vizio is obviously having supply issues with the tv Because i can't find it at any best But within a 250 mile radius. Kind of hard for me to get it. I want an OLED but don't want a car note. Lol[/QUOTE]

They are being bought so quickly. Their CTO told us in the avforums thread that they are trying to make them faster lol.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Lefein, post: 6520420]I don't know how this became an issue in the first place. Both Sony and Microsoft charge developers and publishers for game patches. Hell, Nintendo does as well if I remember correctly.[/QUOTE]

It is an issue if they want me to pay a fee for them to patch a game that they made. wtf. That's ridiculous.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Even though this has been debunked, I don't quite understand this part:

We've asked Sony to clarify whether that applies only to games published by Sony Interactive Entertainment, and will update when we hear back.
Why would third-party publishers have the ability to charge consumers while first-party publishers like Sony wouldn't? Is the idea that 4K and HDR would be no different than regular DLC -- where you see free game maps for a first-party game while third-party publishers charge you?

Lefein is right -- these are patches so you wouldn't assume the consumer would be charged. Seems like this was blown out of proportion by Kotaku which doesn't come as a surprise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.