Heavy Rain: The Origami Killer

Bobbin

Apprentice
Aug 24, 2006
In the interview he said consoles version. Maybe a mistake, maybe makes it multiplat, who knows. I surely hope for a exclusive, together with the next Team ICO game my most anticipated console game.

Jabjabs

Elite Guru
May 10, 2006
www.superderp.com
[QUOTE="Sephyr, post: 0]I don't mind it beeing multiplatform as long as it isn't toned down to fit onto cruddy DVD.[/QUOTE]

If the structure is anything like Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy then this game would go multi disc on 360/PC so I wouldn't worry about it being toned down.

As for that demo from last year, personally the only fault I could ever lay on it was that the lip sync was slightly off, other than that everything that should be there was there, this is one I am definitely looking forward.

Alpha2

Elite Guru
Mar 3, 2007
I'm going to repost this because apparently people missed it the first time:
Heavy Rain

UL:Heavy Rain wasl absent in Sony list of games. official E3 site E3 Insider still have no Heavy Rain on list. What was the problem?
David Cage:No issue. I guess they just forget the title... although it was number 1 of the most expected PS3 games on GameSpot for three weeks after E3...

UL:Heavy Rain. Is it final game? or just the technology name?
DC: Final title of the game... hopefully.

UL: What's the story? Is it a sequel to Fahrenheit?
DC: The story is still secret and no, it is not a sequel to Fahrenheit.

UL: What's the difference in "capturing -> rendering" between Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit?
DC: Totally new engine on PS3. The MoCap is three times more defined, we used facial mocap and the rendering is HR with Normal Maps, Spherical Harmonics and post rendering. It is really another world...

UL:Why do you need AGEIA? as I know all physics motions can be resolved by CPU and Video chip, without any problem. Also first PC AGEIA chip products sees not satisfactory results.
DC: We use AGEIA technology on console for physics in general. There will be a version using their card and a version without the card on PC. Consoles versions will include physics without needing anything else, of course.
In the demo, physics manage Marie's hair.

UL: How much people working on it? Heavy Rain collect all people sources you have, or somebody works at the next game?
DC: Heavy Rain will probably need more than 120 people, some internally, other externally. We start a second team working on another project.

UL: When QD began to work on this project? year? two years? (this questions was during E3 2006 - comm: UL)
DC: For Heavy Rain, Feburary 06.

UL: Press release actress name and video titles differences in Second Name BRAncilhon versus BAncilhon. How right? Is it mistake?
DC: Aurelie Brancilhon.

UL: Does QD canceled projects live in this new project? bLast, Quark... other?
DC: We usually start several projects at the same time. Over the last years, one of them get so much interest from publishers that we had to cancel or at least postpone the others. Each Quantic Dream's project requires up to 80 people and all our attention. It is difficult to start several original project with the same ambition in matter of quality...

kyllman: I read, that Heavy Rain, from its creation, will cancel TNS2, because Quantic could not work on the 2 projects at the same time.
DC:Mmmmm… It is a little more complicated than that…
Whereas the beginning of Fahrenheit, all the editors asked for why one wanted to make this odd play rather than one following NS, at the end of Fahrenheit, all the editors wanted Fahrenheit 2 and did not include/understand why one wanted to make NS2…
One embarked in-house on this demonstration of virtual actor while thinking of the two projects, and the feedback of the editors, the press and the community a little took us of short (600 000 remote loadings…).
Conclusion: temporary pause on NS2 time that HR correctly is launched, but it is in the plans of launching a second project in the months which come.

From this interview you can get the impression that this game is ALL they're working on and if you combine that with what's already bees stated recently in this thread They're going multiplatform. The only do one game at a time and if they're working on all next gen consoles then Heavy Rain IS multiplatform.

But Also keep in mind the game's engine was developed for PS3 (yes those images are real time.) and the demo was completed in 3 weeks and wasnt even meant to be shown outside the company, so you can understand why the lipsync is off a little. But my main point here and this also a reiteration. If the engine was developed for PS3 then there's no fear at all to be had that the game will not use the PS3 to the best of the programers abilities because that's what system is STARTED on.

Lastly Ubisoft dosent make games then only publish them, it's their devstudios tha make the games. All contracted workers for Ubisoft. Quantic Dream might have been contracted for previous games but that dosent mean this game will be released by Ubisoft. but unfortunatly it dosent mean it wont. Without a confirmation that puts it up in the air for now. Chances are Ubisoft has first dibs on whether to release it or not, if they pass it might be a chance for Sony but I think the odds of that are low.

Croyles

Super Elite
Apr 6, 2007
What is up with that written up interview.. The guy cant even write english lol. Well, for a written up version of an interview, that is pretty bad.

And yeah im guessing it will probably go multiplatform. Or at least, I wont get my hopes up.

wh0

Super Elite
Dec 23, 2005
If Sony really is the publisher I'm sure they are working on structuring a deal with them like the one they have with Insomniac unless QD doesn't mind being purchased.

Thorzilla

Elite Sage
Feb 4, 2006
Kennedy said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Rain

Publisher - unkown

=/ doesn't sound good.
Using wikipedia as a source for gaming = not cool =/
Wikipedia is the most unreliable source for gaming with the exception of Kotaku as for now...

The game does look impressive, and if Sony is the publisher, you don't need much brains to know what system will see daylight in :wink:

Feb 27, 2007
this game seems like it will be an iny classic. i am interested to see how the gameplay is. i hope at e3 they will have more info on it.

Alpha2

Elite Guru
Mar 3, 2007
[QUOTE="Croyles, post: 0]What is up with that written up interview.. The guy cant even write english lol. Well, for a written up version of an interview, that is pretty bad.

And yeah im guessing it will probably go multiplatform. Or at least, I wont get my hopes up.[/quote]

It's probably translated from French (it's a french developer). Farenheit/Indigo Prophacy (atleast the PC version) had the toutorial in both french and english.

Using wikipedia as a source for gaming = not cool =/
Wikipedia is the most unreliable source for gaming with the exception of Kotaku as for now...
How about:
Gametrailers who has no publisher name
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2717
1up.com who says it's atari
http://www.1up.com/do/search?st=heavy rain
Games radar agrees and also thinks it's multiplat
http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/game/detail.jsp?releaseId=20060517164429579091
IGN isnt sure
http://ps3.ign.com/objects/811/811232.html

So right now it's still pretty up in thei air.

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
Thanks for clearing that up Alpha2. I myself was surprised to see that pic of Sony being publisher.

I'm glad that PS3 is (or so it seems) the lead platform. I just hope nothing interferes with them having to chop down the PS3 version just so it's the same as the 360's. :)

Shred0r

Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2005
Expect this game to set a new bar when it comes to life-like body movement, facial expression and acting performance in general, being applied to a video game...

Some info on the amount of animation work that goes into ths game:

I think when we showed The Casting everyone agreed it was nice and it really showed that there was a potential for creating virtual actors, but we're still at this frontier where we don't totally suspend disbelief. We still have this uncanny valley to bridge. But today, I can officially announce that there is no uncanny valley any more, not in real-time.

With our next project we're going to demonstrate with hundreds of characters that we can have extremely realistic characters that not only move like real actors but express themselves through facial animations and speech like real actors, and are extremely accurate to the actors they are portraying.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31593

I must say it is the first time for me to see a dog to be studded with those sticky Mo-Cap balls ^^

Pics of Quantic's Mo-Cap studio...

Zatoichi

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2006
What the hell does it matter if it's exclusive or not? I mean, it will be because Sony is the Publisher, but why do you guys care?

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
A game being exclusive usually means the devs don't have to focus on unimportant crap like trying to get the game running as well as possible on all the consoles as well them being able to try and take the most out of the console they are working on. The game would probably still be good if it was multiplatform, but it can be even better when they can focus on taking advantage of the strenghts of only one console.

CivicFox

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2006
[QUOTE="Zatoichi, post: 0]What the hell does it matter if it's exclusive or not? I mean, it will be because Sony is the Publisher, but why do you guys care?[/quote]
Look, it just... matters. it matters alot.

Saix7

Superior Member
May 5, 2007
I loved Fahrenheit on xbox it was an awesome game! Heavy rain sounds like it is about constant raining, you know like Fahrenheit and it's really cold.

Zatoichi

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2006
[QUOTE="Azu, post: 0]A game being exclusive usually means the devs don't have to focus on unimportant crap like trying to get the game running as well as possible on all the consoles as well them being able to try and take the most out of the console they are working on. The game would probably still be good if it was multiplatform, but it can be even better when they can focus on taking advantage of the strenghts of only one console.[/QUOTE]
COD4, in my opinion, the game of the year, was made concurrently for PC, 360, and PS3; it looks and plays equally fantastic on all the different platforms. As long as you've got a good team behind the effort, there's nothing to worry about with a game going multiplat.

I hear alot of people saying that games turn to crap after they announce they're going multiplatform. I think what happens more often is that developers realize that their game's not going to sell well enough on one platform because they screwed up in development -- they compensate by widening the user base the game is available to.

S

Se7enwolf

the video looked good and the acting was great but they have some sync problems and fluid motion problems they need to fix up. And her mouth sometimes became way to big. If they can fix these problems and make the movement and sync/mouth look much better and realistic then they have an award winning game on their hands.

And the big deal about being exclusive is more reason to get the console but also devs can put all their effort, time and money into perfecting the game with that one console version and uitlize the system the best they can for that game. its when games are started on one platform and then is ported over is when the quality goes to hell. If they make a game starting on all the platforms at once instead of porting, then it would be better but still not its best because of splitting up the team, money and effort.

fiero911

Dedicated Member
Mar 2, 2007
Apparently, IGN states that its coming n PS3,360,PC and PSP?!?
Though the demo was sweet and really makes me look forward to this game. Thee are quite a lot of games which gave impressive demos/vids/pics and then just vanished trying to achieve them. This includes 2 days 2 vegas, eight days and the getaway. really hoping this will truly define the PS3

Jun 20, 2007
What the **** is all of this multiplat talk? has it not been confimred several times that Sony is publishing this game? Hasn't QD even stated that Sony has picked up publishing rights for this title? Then maybe everyone should shut the **** up since we now know that it is only going to be for PS3 when it is being published by SCE. "bu bu bu IGN says...." Who gives a fly **** what IGN says, they are just speculating and they are doing a poor job of it too. Heavy Rain is PS3 exclusive and I will say in the words of Tetsuya Nomura: "I don't care if you don't want to buy a PS3" You are going to have to if you want to play this one. What is next, Alan Wake back to multiplat status again? God I ****ing hate the immature mentality of this generation...

Jesus Christ people, they even have a **** press release for it already: http://omikrongame.blogspot.com/2007/07/sony-computer-entertainment-worldwide.html

Byoushinn

Elite Sage
Mar 22, 2007
yep its been stated several times its ps3 exclusive
the sites like IGN listed it as multiplat after nothing was heard about the game for ages

Jun 20, 2007
[QUOTE="byoushinn, post: 0]yep its been stated several times its ps3 exclusive
the sites like IGN listed it as multiplat after nothing was heard about the game for ages[/quote]
Why have they not updated their pages yet? It is confirmed with a press release and all that Heavy Rain is indeed a PS3 exclusive, becuase it is being published by Sony Computer Entertainment. Why is this **** even under discussion still. God I HATE the internet and every godless moron on it. Are we really goign to question FACTS now?

Byoushinn

Elite Sage
Mar 22, 2007
[QUOTE="DevilWillcry, post: 0]Why have they not updated their pages yet? It is confirmed with a press release and all that Heavy Rain is indeed a PS3 exclusive, becuase it is being published by Sony Computer Entertainment. Why is this **** even under discussion still. God I HATE the internet and every godless moron on it. Are we really goign to question FACTS now?[/quote]

they'll probably change the platform listing next time they update the Heavy Rain section with a new trailer or something
some of these sites are pretty incompetent when it comes to little details so they tend to lump stuff together rather than making small changes

Jun 20, 2007
[QUOTE="byoushinn, post: 0]they'll probably change the platform listing next time they update the Heavy Rain section with a new trailer or something
some of these sites are pretty incompetent when it comes to little details so they tend to lump stuff together rather than making small changes[/quote]
Oh yeah, I forgot how crappy gaming journalism is....I can't wait to see Heavy Rain again.

Dec 6, 2007
I cant wait for this game. Indigo Prophecy is one of the best games i've played...too short,but still great. Cant wait to see what they do with Heavy Rain.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
Ok... To prepare for this game, should I get indigo prophecy?

Oh, and PS3|MSE, um... The "gameplay" in this game will be just like Indigo Prophecy... You don't directly control anything, you just make branching decisions.

Mar 18, 2007
Indigo Prophercy (USA)
Fahrenheit (UK)

Got it for the PC and the game is top notch. Multiple endings and the gameplay and action sequences were amazing. I especially liked the sparring with that woman.