Hey GIMP guys! Need help?

Itachi

Forum Sage
Nov 13, 2010
Winterfell
I'm working on a custom wallpaper and need to do some flame effects. I tried searching for some fractal designs to get me started but I can't find much that give a 'wavy flame' effect.

spyrde

Master Guru
Feb 18, 2009
Finland
[QUOTE="itachi73378, post: 5961986]I'm working on a custom wallpaper and need to do some flame effects. I tried searching for some fractal designs to get me started but I can't find much that give a 'wavy flame' effect.[/QUOTE]

One tip for this is to google a stock picture of flames, for example this one:

Then, use the ''Colour to Alpha'' tool in the ''Colors'' section found in the top bar, and choose the colour which you want to eliminate, in this case you want the black eliminated so you can use the flames in the picture.

spyrde

Master Guru
Feb 18, 2009
Finland
[QUOTE="itachi73378, post: 5962051]alright thanks[/QUOTE]

After this you can do several stuff to alter the flames, for example setting the flames on different modes, changing the colors, warping them a little, and adding some smoke there too in the same exact way you added the fire.

Cybertox

Forum Guru
Dec 28, 2009
Switzerland
[QUOTE="C-Carcharias, post: 5962282]notsureifsrs?[/QUOTE]

There is nobody contributing as much in the photoshop section as Spyrde does in the gimp section.

Feb 2, 2009
Australia
If you have a question relating to PS, either create a thread or post in the Graphic Inspiration or DS Clubhouse threads, there is alot of useful info in those threads as well. Hell, send me a PM and I'll answer what I can, when I can.

There have also been some extremely helpful threads in the past that are great for beginners, for example:

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthrea...ticky)/page2?p=2555986&viewfull=1#post2555986
http://www.psu.com/forums/showthrea...-Guide/page3?p=2878890&viewfull=1#post2878890
http://www.psu.com/forums/showthrea...ource-Thread?p=3549448&viewfull=1#post3549448
Some of it is rather old so I'm not sure whether the links in those threads still work.

Alot of us are busy and will rarely make a tutorial unless there is a demand for it. As Gimp is a free service, there are alot more people using it than PS.

Sorry for the hijack spyrde.

Last edited:

spyrde

Master Guru
Feb 18, 2009
Finland
Haha no problem : D

Cybertox, PS and GIMP are fairly similar so you could shoot questions this way too, but like C-c said, the DS is all about helping others, so you could PM any of the members or post in those threads to get answers regarding PS.

spyrde

Master Guru
Feb 18, 2009
Finland
Anything special you guys would like tips on? I'm currently in the middle of some tough exams but after those are done I'm sure I'll find the time to get back to making tutorials.

Itachi

Forum Sage
Nov 13, 2010
Winterfell
[QUOTE="spyrde, post: 6032690]Anything special you guys would like tips on? I'm currently in the middle of some tough exams but after those are done I'm sure I'll find the time to get back to making tutorials.[/QUOTE]

I request a displace map tutorial :snicker
I've only got it to work once. Never lets me select the correct layer

Nov 21, 2013
it would really help if in your tutorial video the program was in English.
Otherwise i have to watch and count how far along or down was the option your are selecting - that means a lot of play pause and rewinding.
Also i'm not entirely sure of the level your tutorial was aimed at but things like render & c4d & brush it says "chose" them or "add" them but it doesnt tell me what exactly they are and how i get them loaded to the gimp program in the first place.....

Feb 9, 2014
Some good tips and links throughout the thread.
I'm competent with Gimp, but by no means an expert, so some of these things are quite helpful.

Itachi

Forum Sage
Nov 13, 2010
Winterfell
[QUOTE="infinityignited, post: 6267453]it would really help if in your tutorial video the program was in English.
Otherwise i have to watch and count how far along or down was the option your are selecting - that means a lot of play pause and rewinding.
Also i'm not entirely sure of the level your tutorial was aimed at but things like render & c4d & brush it says "chose" them or "add" them but it doesnt tell me what exactly they are and how i get them loaded to the gimp program in the first place.....[/QUOTE]

2 month late reply but here we go:

There's a steep learning curve with gimp. I remember I had quite a tough time starting out last year (I watched Spyrde's video countless times trying to see what he did :snicker). Basically the only advice I can give you is to go to deviantart and look at tutorials. Fractals are something like these for example:

and C4Ds look like these:

another example is one of my own sigs:

notice the color and texture from this fractal in the image above:
The difference is that you mostly use fractals to enhance/add/modify colour in your image and to give it the texture you see in the fractal image, whereas C4Ds are mostly used for their shape and not really colour since most have transparent backgrounds. I know it all seems pretty weird but trust me deviantart is the place where you get great fractal packs, C4Ds, brushes and most importantly tutorials

Last edited: