High NGP Pricing Hinted at By Jack Tretton?

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="Kauldron, post: 5503946]If it is above $250 then it is a no go for me.[/QUOTE]
You won't be buying NGP anytime soon, then.

And bleh at this site, the whole "between 99 and 600$" was more of a tongue-in-cheek comment that took into account all the bad rep Sony got for PS3's price than any kind of real hint as to what the pricing would be or really suggesting it would be anywhere near 600$.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="AaronSOLDIER, post: 5503971]The higher the price the happier I am, nobody's forcing you to buy it at launch either...[/QUOTE]
That's not a very wise way of thinking either. It's best to be a realist, but I seriously don't HOPE the price to be, like, 450$. I just won't whine too much if the price ends up being in the 300-350$ range since I don't have any silly "handheld gaming should be no more expensive than ***$s" principles. I like what NGP offers and if it costs a bit more than past handhelds at launch, then it's a piece of hardware worth that price (if I can afford it at the time :lol: )

In short, if you WANT a powerful handheld, then you better be ready to pay for it more than what GBAs etc. have usually been, I just hope it's not crazy-expensive.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
$400 is a bit high but understandable when looking at similar tech in cell phones.I prefer and expect it to be under that amount, but if it is above that, I will most likely have to skip launch of that product.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 5504009]$400 is a bit high but understandable when looking at similar tech in cell phones.[/QUOTE]
Those are usually hugely overpriced, though. It's absolutely insane what kind of profit smartphone manufacturers make for sales at smartphone prices (but they sell because people have been brainwashed to think they are super-high-end products that are worth that price), especially when you compare it to the likes of Sony & Microsoft selling their products at a loss. I could see Sony bringing NGP to the market for a slight loss @ 299$ or (almost) no loss at 350$.

mondofish

Staff Writer & Graphic Designer
Dec 14, 2009
Buxton, Maine
...as much as I'd love to see a $250 launch price, I do feel its asking too much of Sony. The product will easily be worth $299... considerin' its going to look like ps3 graphics, but its going to fit in the palms of your hands. Though, if Sony could afford to price at $250 it would be an incredible move that might turn the tides on the 3DS

if its $250 ill consider buying it quickly, if its $299 then i'll have to wait for a major holiday like christmas.

Jan 13, 2006
United States
[QUOTE="Azu, post: 5503967]You won't be buying NGP anytime soon, then.

And bleh at this site, the whole "between 99 and 600$" was more of a tongue-in-cheek comment that took into account all the bad rep Sony got for PS3's price than any kind of real hint as to what the pricing would be or really suggesting it would be anywhere near 600$.[/QUOTE]

Sony has been constantly spouting how this thing is going to be affordable and how they left things out to keep it affordable. So now my expectations are at affordable.

By the way the 3DS should not be $250 either.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="Kauldron, post: 5504170]Sony has been constantly spouting how this thing is going to be affordable and how they left things out to keep it affordable. So now my expectations are at affordable.

By the way the 3DS should not be $250 either.[/QUOTE]
They've been saying how this won't be priced like PS3 in the beginning (relatively). No matter if you want to look down on handheld gaming and think it's of lesser value, a 300$ price is quite low for such a high-end piece of hardware, especially considering some smartphones are, like, 500-600$ and have worse hardware. A 600$ price for a new console was too high for most gamers, but I don't see how 300-350$ is would be such an outrageous price for what they offer (a portable semi-PS3). If it was to be any lower, they would've had to make much bigger sacrifices than what they've done so far (no OLED screen, less horsepower etc.).

Thorzilla

Elite Sage
Feb 4, 2006
[QUOTE="Azu, post: 5504211]They've been saying how this won't be priced like PS3 in the beginning (relatively). No matter if you want to look down on handheld gaming and think it's of lesser value, a 300$ price is quite low for such a high-end piece of hardware, especially considering some smartphones are, like, 500-600$ and have worse hardware. A 600$ price for a new console was too high for most gamers, but I don't see how 300-350$ is would be such an outrageous price for what they offer (a portable semi-PS3). If it was to be any lower, they would've had to make much bigger sacrifices than what they've done so far (no OLED screen, less horsepower etc.).[/QUOTE]

I think that is exactly the point why Sony should price it as low as possible. If a casual wants to game in any device, they most likely will get a smartphone since it does a little bit of everything, yet it exceeds at nothing. So, since the market is already saturated with all kinds of smartphones and gadgets, Sony needs to remain competitive by making the main lure of the NGP its price.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
Yeah, I hope the price is as low as can be, too, but like I said earlier I'm also a realist and I understand that unless Sony want's to take huge losses (they don't), this is not going to be 250$. It's either to offer an inferior product or to pay a little more for it. It's all about making it all seem worth it.

Also, I'm pretty sure Sony doesn't want those kind of casual "gamers" who might download Angry Birds for free and play it on/off for a year or until the next fad comes. Those kinds of people will never even think of getting a dedicated gaming device, no matter how cheap it is. That's what PlayStation Suite & the PSPhone is for. Instead, there are still millions of people who want proper gaming devices and NGP will offer THEM the possibility to have "it all" in one package (as in, they have access to stupid casual games like Angry Birds as well as Pixeljunks and Metal Gear Solids with one device)

Jan 13, 2006
United States
[QUOTE="Azu, post: 5504211]They've been saying how this won't be priced like PS3 in the beginning (relatively). No matter if you want to look down on handheld gaming and think it's of lesser value, a 300$ price is quite low for such a high-end piece of hardware, especially considering some smartphones are, like, 500-600$ and have worse hardware. A 600$ price for a new console was too high for most gamers, but I don't see how 300-350$ is would be such an outrageous price for what they offer (a portable semi-PS3). If it was to be any lower, they would've had to make much bigger sacrifices than what they've done so far (no OLED screen, less horsepower etc.).[/QUOTE]

Did you pull the bolded part out of your ***. Where did I say I looked down on handheld gaming? I'm anticipating buying this thing. Kind of counter-productive don't you think?
I was going by what Nintendo said that they originally was going to charge $200 for the 3DS but because of the great reception it had at E3 they decided to increase the price to $250.

You have to look at it like this. The PS3 was $600 in 2006/2007. It is now at $299. A handheld that is not as powerful as the PS3, and will most likely be arriving 2012 (Not Japan) will be $299 - $350? It is not a phone so it should not have the inflated smart phone price.

No way can I see them charging $350 for this thing. If so it will just be sitting on shelves.

Last edited:

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="Kauldron, post: 5504274]Did you pull the bolded part out of your ***. Where did I say I looked down on handheld gaming? I'm anticipating buying this thing. Kind of counter-productive don't you think?[/QUOTE]
I dunno, your post just reeked of it, like you were only interested in NGP because it offers such impressive tech but are not ready to pay for it because it's "just a handheld". A lot of people think every portable should be no more than, like, 150-200$ and if it goes over that, no matter what it offers, it's some kind of disgusting beast of a thing.

Just out of curiosity, have you owned any other handhelds?

You have to look at it like this. The PS3 was $600 in 2006/2007. It is now at $299. A handheld that is not as powerful as the PS3, and will most likely be arriving 2012 (Not Japan) will be $299 - $350? It is not a phone so it should not have the inflated smart phone price.
You have to look it like this. Portable technology is not progressing nearly as fast as other technology, due to the constraints it has (it needs to be small and it needs NOT TO BE energy-hog-ish, which is harder nowadays since the battery technology has not advanced at all in recent years, yet even small parts can need quite a lot of energy to function).

Even if the jump from PSP to NGP is not as big in absolute terms as the jump from PS2 to PS3 was, it's still a relatively massive jump. So if Sony can't sell PS3, a 5-year-old hardware, at less than 300$ atm, then I'm not sure if they can sell completely new hardware like NGP any lower (especially when R&D and other such costs are taken into account, which they'll want to recoup ASAP instead of taking more losses). This kind of PORTABLE tech wasn't around in 2006, but now it is and it's still quite state-of-the-art, even if it's not as powerful as PS3. A 2011 handheld is in no way comparable to a 2006 home console.

No way can I see them charging $350 for this thing. If so it will just be sitting on shelves.
Depends. The 3G model could be that much, or some bundle that comes with things like a 16-32GB memory card, charging dock etc.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2006
United States
[QUOTE="Azu, post: 5504350]I dunno, your post just reeked of it, like you were only interested in NGP because it offers such impressive tech but are not ready to pay for it because it's "just a handheld". A lot of people think every portable should be no more than, like, 150-200$ and if it goes over that, no matter what it offers, it's some kind of disgusting beast of a thing.

Just out of curiosity, have you owned any other handhelds?[/quote]

I think it would be worth more than $250 if it was a phone. I think both handhelds would have cornered the smartphone market with that functionality. I had a PSP for a short while but got rid of it. Both of these handhelds impress me enough to go completely into handheld gaming.

You have to look it like this. Portable technology is not progressing nearly as fast as other technology, due to the constraints it has (it needs to be small and it needs NOT TO BE energy-hog-ish, which is harder nowadays since the battery technology has not advanced at all in recent years, yet even small parts can need quite a lot of energy to function).

Even if the jump from PSP to NGP is not as big in absolute terms as the jump from PS2 to PS3 was, it's still a relatively massive jump. So if Sony can't sell PS3, a 5-year-old hardware, at less than 300$ atm, then I'm not sure if they can sell completely new hardware like NGP any lower (especially when R&D and other such costs are taken into account, which they'll want to recoup ASAP instead of taking more losses). This kind of PORTABLE tech wasn't around in 2006, but now it is and it's still quite state-of-the-art, even if it's not as powerful as PS3. A 2011 handheld is in no way comparable to a 2006 home console.
In my opinion the jump from PSP to NGP is a lot greater than PS2 to PS3. However you have no grounds to say what Sony or Nintendo can charge for their products because you have no evidence on what it takes to actually produce one of these. It is all speculation on our part.

I think of how Sony keeps shrinking the innards of the PS3. The system is cheaper to produce because of this, it doesn't become more expensive.
I do see what you mean about battery like and keeping the thing cool. A lot of devs were talking about how it was overheating a lot.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2006
So-Cal
350-380 is reasonable to me... although ill get it regardless... im just really hoping i wont have to spend much more than that... that way i can buy a few games along with it..

Avrum

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2006
Hinting at a high price? Or conditioning people to think it will be high and then Sony hits them with something lower than expected? SHOCK AND LAWL.

But seriously, I'll wait until E3.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="SomaXD, post: 5504468]350-380 is reasonable to me... although ill get it regardless... im just really hoping i wont have to spend much more than that... that way i can buy a few games along with it..[/QUOTE]

This. Anyone whos thinking it will go for around $250 is dreaming. I will happily fork out upto about €250 ($360USD). This thing is packing so much tech.

However, if dreams come true, I willbe a happy chappy with a few extra launch titles. :D

Jo-san

Dedicated Member
Nov 29, 2008
London/Tokyo
I'll wait for additional confirmation - but $400 is simply unrealistic in the current global economic and technological climate. With the rise of Android/iphone games and the USP of the 3DS I struggle to see how this will be successful, especially if the advertising is sub-standard.

$300 and no higher and the hardware needs to be profitable on day one.