Horizon Forbidden West - Opinions & Discussion

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Horizon Forbidden West (PS5).

These are some of my initial thoughts and impressions about the game so far.

I'm playing this in the fidelity mode at the moment, but I've tried the performance mode and it feels really smooth compared to the fidelity mode, but it comes at a cost. Apart from the resolution being lower, thin objects and edges has a bit of a jitter to them and pixelated edges of objects in general (bad or no anti-aliasing it looks like). I'm playing the game on normal difficulty, in most games that's hard enough for me (but probably not for some).

The game is absolutely gorgeous visually and then there's all the small and big improvements to just about everything. So far it's definitely living up to my expectations. I haven't experienced any major bugs or glitches so far, except for a bit of pop-in here and there. But I'm still very early in the game.

There are so many new things in this game, new systems to learn. I'm almost a bit overwhelmed now in the beginning of the game, but I'm sure when it sets in my brain and muscle memory it will be less so. There are actually melee combos now, and there are a few other new additions in the game, like the in game board game (to learn), the melee pits (where you can learn the melee combos) and so on. I'm loving it so far.

At first I thought the (early) enemies felt a little bit tougher than they were in the first game, they took more hits to take down and they did more damage, and they felt a bit more aggressive. But then when I leveled up a few times and got a couple of "new" tools the fights started to even out a bit.

I will post more thoughts and screenshots and such here, and final thoughts when I'm finished with the game. Feel free to post your thoughts and such here. But lets keep it spoiler free if it's anything about the story, since this is a new game, or just use spoiler tags if it's story spoilers.

Sep 10, 2005
I want to play the game,but i decided to wait for at least one more patch.I have seen some minor glitches ( some plants do not react on the player,some loots are inside the ground,and one plant in a specific point its flickering in and out of existence.) and they will most likely been fixed soon.I need to find Erend now but i wont,i will keep stay in that area doing some side missions and sightseeing until the next patch lol

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I want to play the game,but i decided to wait for at least one more patch.I have seen some minor glitches ( some plants do not react on the player,some loots are inside the ground,and one plant in a specific point its flickering in and out of existence.) and they will most likely been fixed soon.I need to find Erend now but i wont,i will keep stay in that area doing some side missions and sightseeing until the next patch lol
Ok, I think I'm just a little bit ahead of you. As long as there are no major bugs and glitches I will keep playing, this is one of those games that I have a really hard time putting down, it's one of those "just one more quest" games for me. ;)

Sep 10, 2005
Ok, I think I'm just a little bit ahead of you. As long as there are no major bugs and glitches I will keep playing, this is one of those games that I have a really hard time putting down, it's one of those "just one more quest" games for me. ;)
I played a bit more today and found Erent and got back to the small town,and got a new quest.I stopped there lol Trying to find everything in every area i go.I saw that some aren't accessible yet tho.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Looks amazing. I get my TV tomorrow. Hopefully I can find someone to help mount it as well. Thing is over 100 pounds. D:
Yeah, it looks amazing, the amount of detail (especially for an open world game) is really impressive. I bet it will look even better on your new TV, since I have an older TV and it doesn't even have HDR.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Here's a few more screenshots.

Tallneck feet closeup - pretty good amount of detail, imo.

Just a nice landscape picture I like.

A closeup of Aloy's face - really good details, especially for an in game asset, imo.

Flying mount - yeah I know it's a bit spoilery, but I think most people know about it by now. ;)

God of War face paint - BOY! (GIRL!) :)

NoUseMercenary

Gamer & Crypto Investor
Staff member
Sep 17, 2005
Damn. Those graphics look amazing. Hoping to pick this up when I get a PS5. Although, I still need to play through Zero Dawn now that I have it on PC.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Horizon Forbidden West (PS5).

So, it took me about 125 hours to finish this game and I'm overall very satisfied with my experience. It definitely lived up to my expectations. I did pretty much everything there is to do and I got the platinum. Here's my final thoughts about the game.

Should you play the first game before palying this? Personally I definitely think that's the best way to go. There are so many characters and references from the first game that you encounter that I think it's quite nessesary. You will not have the same connection to the characters, the story and and the world if you haven't played the first game.

Pretty much everything is improved compared to the first game. The visuals, the animations, the combat, the side quests, the traversal, the enemy variety, the exploration and world activities. And the first game was my favourite "exclusive" of the PS4 generation. (I write "exclusive" since it has also been released on PC now, it's "only" a console exclusive now).

Visually this game is absolutely stunning. The amount of detail everywhere is impressive, especially when you consider this is an open world game. The (character) animations overall, has also been improved a lot. The interactions with the NPC's feels way more dynamic in this game. It also helps that the characters in general feels more fleshed out and has more depth/personality to them.

There are a lot more options when it comes to the combat. Not only is there several new weapon types (and tools), there's also new ways to fight, with (melee) combos and such. The combat overall is improved quite a lot compared to the first game, especially the melee combat.

The side quests are better overall than they were in the first game, some of them could almost be mistaken for main quests, they are that good. And I didn't have a problem with most side quests in the first game, I think most of them were good and added to the overall experience. All side quests are also rewarding in some way in this game.

The glider is one of the new additions in the game and it definitely helps with the traversal in some cases. The same goes for the grappling hook. The underwater traversal and exploration feel really good overall. But there's no combat when you're underwater. You can only traverse and interact with objects.

The scanner now has two modes, the original mode from the first game and a pulse that highlights objects and climbable point in the world. The skill trees are bigger and there's six of them, instead of four like it was in the first game. The melee pits are part like tutorials, where you get to learn and try out combos, and part challenges. Machine Strike is a strategic board game that is almost like chess, where the objective is to knock out the opponents machines from the board. The Arena is a challenge that puts you up against harder and harder opponents as you progress.

There are several new machines added to this game and most of the ones from the first game is also there. Most machines also have different variants and there's Apex versions of most machines that is a bit tougher to fight than the "regular" versions. The human enemies has also been improved a bit and there's more variety to the fights, imo.

Improvements have also been made to activities like cauldrons and tallnecks. Now there's more to it, like more in depth puzzles and such. On top of that, they have added more world activities. Like the relic ruins for example, which is like a puzzle you have to solve before you can get to the loot/object inside.

Just like the first game, this one also has a really good and fitting soundtrack, imo.

The dualsense implementation is really good in this game. Both the haptic feedback and the adaptive triggers is used quite a lot, and is very well implemented overall. You even have small, short rumbles in the menus. The speaker in the controller is also used quite frequently.

The loading times are really good overall. By default you have to push x to enter the game again after loading. But you can change that in the options, then you really see how fast it loads. It's not quite Miles Morales fast (or others that are really fast), but it definitely feels really fast, imo.

The main thing I whish I knew before playing the game is that most of the tools you're going to need is acquired in the main story missions. So, for me who don't ususally do the main story first and the side content later (in open world games, I usually mix it up a bit), there were certain things I couldn't do before I had done the main story missions that give you those tools.

The few issues that there are with the game has been minor for me personally. I've had a bit of pop-in here and there and some other small graphical glitches (playing in the fidelity mode). But overall there has been no major bugs or glitches that has made the game unplayable or anythink like that. And since they started to release patches to fix it, it has become better and better (during my playthrough). Unfortunately they released the game with more visual glitches in the performance mode, such as bad/no anti-aliasing which made thin objects and edges shimmer and overall the visuals felt like a clear step down compared to the fidelity mode. The performance mode definitely feels the best (way smoother) out of the two, but personally I prefer to have better visuals when the difference is this big.

I've got to agree with Skill Up when it comes to the score. For me personally this is a 9.5/10, but I wouldn't blame people who would give this a 10/10. It all depends on how much the graphical glitches bothers you. Personally it didn't bother me much, but they are a bit too frequent for me to give this a 10/10, I just can't look the other way when they show up several times in every (2-3 hours) sitting with the game. If most of this gets fixed, this game would be a 10/10 for me. Everything else about this game is that good, imo.

NoUseMercenary

Gamer & Crypto Investor
Staff member
Sep 17, 2005
Sounds like a major improvement over Zero Dawn. I still need to finish my playthrough of the first game on PC. Sounds like you really enjoyed it. Almost gave it a perfect score. I'm sure some of the performance issues will be fixed in upcoming patches. The game is still fairly new.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Sounds like a major improvement over Zero Dawn. I still need to finish my playthrough of the first game on PC. Sounds like you really enjoyed it. Almost gave it a perfect score. I'm sure some of the performance issues will be fixed in upcoming patches. The game is still fairly new.
Definitely, most things are improved, ranging from small to big improvements. Yeah, it was an amazing game, imo. Hopefully they will manage to fix most of the graphical bugs and glitches, then I would have no problem with giving this game a perfect score. And I don't think many games deserve perfect scores, there's always something about most games that is not top notch and/or there's some kind of technical issue. Of course it's also a matter of taste, this game (and the first one) happens to be my cup of tea.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Here's some new screenshots taken in the performance mode to show how much better everything looks now in that mode (after the latest patch). No more shimmering and no heavily pixelated edges any more. It actually seems like they've managed to fix this problem now. So now the performance mode should be the prefered mode to play this game in, even for those of us who care a lot about the visuals. I just went into the game to take some screenshots, but in that short time it felt both smooth and looked really good.

NoUseMercenary

Gamer & Crypto Investor
Staff member
Sep 17, 2005
Here's some new screenshots taken in the performance mode to show how much better everything looks now in that mode (after the latest patch). No more shimmering and no heavily pixelated edges any more. It actually seems like they've managed to fix this problem now. So now the performance mode should be the prefered mode to play this game in, even for those of us who care a lot about the visuals. I just went into the game to take some screenshots, but in that short time it felt both smooth and looked really good.

Amazing screenshots!

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
That's a significant difference for that mode. I found it unplayable because it looked so bad with the shimmering and whatnot.
Yeah, I ended up playing the whole game in fidelity mode because of what the performance mode looked like at release. Now both modes are looking great, the biggest difference that thought of is that the fidelity mode is a bit charper.

But I'm not going to start a new playthrough in new game+ at this point, I have way too many other games that I wanna play. I might do another full playthrough if a DLC is relased (which it most likely will be).