Horizon Zero Dawn Celebrates Second Anniversary. Over 10 Million Copies Sold Worldwide

Jun 4, 2007
It’s hard to believe that two whole years have passed since we released Horizon Zero Dawn. When the game launched on February 28, I was attending GDC and counting down the minutes with a group of fellow Guerrillas and Shuhei Yoshida. Early feedback suggested that we had something special on our hands, but we never suspected that we’d still be receiving daily messages of appreciation from our players in 2019.

And yet, here we are, already well over 10 million copies sold worldwide; the idea that we were able to bring Aloy’s journey to so many players is astounding. We’ve been deeply moved by the enormous amount of fan creations you’ve posted online, as well as the heartfelt letters you’ve sent sharing your favorite moments from Aloy’s journey.
https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...anniversary-10-million-copies-sold-worldwide/
Add that to the list of 10m+ sellers this gen. This is incredible being that it's a brand new i.p.

The next big records will be 100m consoles sold and over 1 billion games sold.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017
Barcelona
So deserved. I'm glad new single-player IPs can benefit from sale numbers like those.
I hope the massive success of Horizon doesn't make Guerrilla completely forget about their other franchise (Killzone) though. I'd still love to play a new one.

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
I can't wait to see what GG pulls off with part 2. The foundation is already laid so development should go a lot smoother. They just need to expand everything. Make it bigger and better.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
IMO, this is the most technically accomplished title this gen, across any platform (PC included).

It's good to see it succeed, and do so well!

Seriously, i never get tired of seeing this game. It's like a bit of Souls, mixed with The Witcher, with a touch of Tomb Raider, set in mecha-Skyrim.

GG did a damn good job.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Definitely one of my favourite games of this gen. 10 million sales is really impressive, especially since it is a new IP and only released on one console (PS4).

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Killzone + Killzone: Liberation, a double pack remake powered by Decima engine.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
IMO, this is the most technically accomplished title this gen, across any platform (PC included).

It's good to see it succeed, and do so well!

Seriously, i never get tired of seeing this game. It's like a bit of Souls, mixed with The Witcher, with a touch of Tomb Raider, set in mecha-Skyrim.

GG did a damn good job.
Remember back in the day when this trailer from Guerrilla Games got people talking?

Horizon seems to be this generation's Killzone 2 when discussing great graphics for a PlayStation exclusive.

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
Killzone + Killzone: Liberation, a double pack remake powered by Decima engine.
I'd be there day 1 if they did that. Keep it dark and dirty. Keep the multiple characters that mattered in the field. Expand the levels.

The series really do need to be rebooted. They screwed up with Kz2 story towards the end with killing certain people. KZ2 was a suicide mission. You aren't going to another country, which is bad enough for war, but another planet. The ending should have been a hologram Visari laughing at you while he's in hiding somewhere else on the planet. Killzone 3 could have been your escape mission leaving you trying your hardest to stop the overwhelming forces just enough to get back home. Rico already had a lot of people hating him. His story was perfect for him to somehow become someone in position of power within ISA. He could have been the one abusing his power in KZ:SF.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Remember back in the day when this trailer from Guerrilla Games got people talking?

Horizon seems to be this generation's Killzone 2 when discussing great graphics for a PlayStation exclusive.
The thing which i find most interesting is that many of the accomplishments from Sony's first parties today, can be traced back to Killzone 2.

When GG were developing Killzone, Sony had the idea to make the GG engine an engine that could be licenced for use by other studios, or adopted outright internally by Sony's first party.
They did some pretty good stuff too. One of the first (if not first) to move to a fully differed renderer - which has now become an industry norm, and solved the inherent issues associated with it - AA and alpha textures.

That may have fell through, but we got the ICE as a result and Horizon probably benefited from that. On a technical note, Horizon is the only technical title i've been impressed with because they actually run GPGPU code to make up for the lack of CPU power. Something i don't think anyone else is, or has, done.

In some ways, GG are similar to Crytek. Except where one wallowed in mediocrity following it's initial technical showing, the other went on to do great things. Curious if the support was the determining factor in that? While EA and Sony might have foreseen the cost to develop an engine, one had the support of the other studio's under its umbrella, and the other was whipped into pushing out a franchise.

On a bit of a tangent: Given how events have unfolded with EA making Frostbite its defacto in-house engine (and it sucking monkey nutts for anything not BF), i wonder if things might have been better for them if they instead used Cryteks Cryengine? Could EA have been similarly fortuitous with its own titles in a similar vein to Horizon?

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I'd be there day 1 if they did that. Keep it dark and dirty. Keep the multiple characters that mattered in the field. Expand the levels.

The series really do need to be rebooted. They screwed up with Kz2 story towards the end with killing certain people. KZ2 was a suicide mission. You aren't going to another country, which is bad enough for war, but another planet. The ending should have been a hologram Visari laughing at you while he's in hiding somewhere else on the planet. Killzone 3 could have been your escape mission leaving you trying your hardest to stop the overwhelming forces just enough to get back home. Rico already had a lot of people hating him. His story was perfect for him to somehow become someone in position of power within ISA. He could have been the one abusing his power in KZ:SF.
Killzone reboot should have two dedicated single-player campaigns from the perspectives of ISA and Helghast. Personally, I liked the linear nature of Killzone 2 (whatever helps get us closer to the crazy amount of detail in the pre-rendered E3 2005 trailer -- I'm talking about character models with fully-rendered teeth and short hair blowing in the wind).

Those first ten or so seconds of the trailer when the ISA soldiers are yelling at each other is my favorite part. Did they even reach that exact level of detail and animation in a scene from Killzone: Shadow Fall? Not talking about color grading, light or shadow, moreso the way such a scene is animated with individual moving parts on character models and their solidity. You know what I'm talking about, @Fijiandoce?

Jan 19, 2018
Not a fan of this game. I found it too barren and boring. I have played and own all the Killzone games and I like them much more. Probably the genre more than anything.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Honestly I really enjoyed the original. I wished for the other games or future games as well bring back the secondary fire.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007

Those first ten or so seconds of the trailer when the ISA soldiers are yelling at each other is my favorite part. Did they even reach that exact level of detail and animation in a scene from Killzone: Shadow Fall? Not talking about color grading, light or shadow, moreso the way such a scene is animated with individual moving parts on character models and their solidity. You know what I'm talking about, @Fijiandoce?
I think the Killzone 2 trailer might have been keyframed :p

Nah, i mean i think the two games approached things from different ends of the spectrum. Where Killzone 2 wanted maximum attention to detail (which brought about that trailer), i think Killzone: SF wanted to move toward 60FPS - they didn't get there for the single player, but it was there for the MP.

I've always thought Metal Gear titles have had a certain solidity to them, even MGS5. It might be a similar thing because i don't quite know how to describe it. But when the character does something, it looks like it belongs... if that makes sense.

On another side note: IMHO, Killzone 2's multiplayer was one of the better multiplayer's i have played. Due to the way the controls functioned, and how character movement worked, you couldn't just one man army into a room. You actually had to play as a team to progress, and more often, the team with the best cooperation would win. I remember people actually suppressing choke points to allow the team to move forward, in what game do you actually do this anymore? Helghan Industries was pure chaos!

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I've always thought Metal Gear titles have had a certain solidity to them, even MGS5. It might be a similar thing because i don't quite know how to describe it. But when the character does something, it looks like it belongs... if that makes sense.
I've played the games but I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Do you have any specific examples?

On another side note: IMHO, Killzone 2's multiplayer was one of the better multiplayer's i have played. Due to the way the controls functioned, and how character movement worked, you couldn't just one man army into a room. You actually had to play as a team to progress, and more often, the team with the best cooperation would win. I remember people actually suppressing choke points to allow the team to move forward, in what game do you actually do this anymore? Helghan Industries was pure chaos!
The little bit of Killzone 2's multiplayer that I played back in the day was pretty enjoyable though it wasn't so much about teamwork for me as it was like you say the controls, animation etc. The weightiness that critics often mentioned when the exclusive was compared to other more popular shooters.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I've played the games but I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Do you have any specific examples?
One example that i recall is when snake meets Drebin. At around 2:35 Drebin passes snake his M4, and snake then inspects it:
Proper grip on rifle, checks charging handle, magazine, receiver etc. holsters sidearm into its holster. Saying nothing of the fact that one model, just passed another model, the model it was holding. Typically, this is handled really oddly in other games:

Skip to 3:20

In Watch Dogs the gun looks like its physically bolted to the bone in the guys arm, whereas in MGS it looks like you would expect it to be. Most titles tend to approach this problem the way Watch Dogs does (by making the rigging and weapon one). I'm not too sure what MGS does, but it just looks correct.

There are other scenes for example where Snake has his finger off the trigger, then moves his finger onto the trigger when he's ready to shoot. Whereas every other title would just default to having the finger on the trigger the whole time.

There are other times where snake will sorta rest his rifle, and it sorta sits nicely against him (i don't know how to describe this, but you see something similar in the clip above where he crouches down to take the call from otacon), but other titles just have the character hold it 24/7, or when they drop it, it jitters about (presumably because it's still attached to the rig).

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
It's amazing how we're coming up on 25 years since the release of the PlayStation and we have awkwardly robotic character animations in some AAA games. I mean you are comparing an older linear shooter to an open world "Hack the planet!", but Watch Dogs 2 was released on newer platforms so you would expect better results.

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
The Watch Dogs clip was just the easiest one i could find :p
I tired to get something from Uncharted (for a PS3 > PS3 comparison), but nah, they're too deliberate with their camera placement to make it easy. Closest i could get was the scene with Chloe, Drake, and the dagger.

Jun 4, 2007
Horizion:ZD is my favorite New I.P this generation. The only title that can take that crown away is Ghost of Tsushima.

I can't even imagine what they're going to be pulling off in the PS5 sequel.