How is Modern Warfare 2 Different From Any Other Sequel?

jesse1715

Superior Member
Mar 18, 2009
Look at all the crap this game is getting.http://www.psu.com/Modern-Warfare-2...it-ruined-the-experience-News--a008282-p0.php

It gives you a new story with new locations, better graphics, a new co-op mode, and new multiplayer maps and weapons. How is that different from any sequel? And does Uncharted 2 have a co-op campaign; does that make Naughty Dog lazy? No that’s what I thought.

I am not forcing you to like or buy MW2 but I would like to know how in any way, shape, or form this is different from every other sequel.

MeteoricVenom

Superior Member
Dec 2, 2006
LOL Infinity Ward lazy? Probably the dumbest thing i've heard about a talented company, imo they are up there with Naughty Dog, Bioware etc. as the best devs around. If they felt it didn't suit the game well thats life.

Devil

Master Poster
May 16, 2009
England
For one, Infinity Ward are not lazy. They make great games such as the COD series, so I don't know how anyone could call them "lazy". I am looking forward to getting Modern Warfare 2, and I'm sure it will just be as good as the past games IW made.

Spider

Elite Sage
Jul 16, 2008
[QUOTE="jesse1715, post: 0]Look at all the crap this game is getting.http://www.psu.com/Modern-Warfare-2...it-ruined-the-experience-News--a008282-p0.php

It gives you a new story with new locations, better graphics, a new co-op mode, and new multiplayer maps and weapons. How is that different from any sequel? And does Uncharted 2 have a co-op campaign; does that make Naughty Dog lazy? No that’s what I thought.[/quote]
i called them lazy for promising something, and they not providing it...
i also said that i really liked the game, and was still buying it...

it was obviously a fake excuse for not doing the co-op... lol, so it means they cant or dont wanna do it... which makes them lazy, at least in that section of their game...

also for the record...

IMO new sequal should have more then what you said... it should make it feel like a different game... like a TON of improvements...

lets hope that IW does that here...

[QUOTE="BoyBettaKnow, post: 0]it's cool to hate whats cool....[/quote]

Exactly. :lol:

I laugh at people who dilberatley hate on whats hip , cool and swell because they're so blatantly idiotic and sensless. Why hate whats good ? Your supposed to hate whats bad , not whats good. You dont see people loving Bin Laden and hating on Obama do you ? In this case its hate on MW 2 and hump Battlfield Bad Company 2. * cough * Just to be different * cough *

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="jesse1715, post: 0]Look at all the crap this game is getting.http://www.psu.com/Modern-Warfare-2...it-ruined-the-experience-News--a008282-p0.php

It gives you a new story with new locations, better graphics, a new co-op mode, and new multiplayer maps and weapons. How is that different from any sequel? And does Uncharted 2 have a co-op campaign; does that make Naughty Dog lazy? No that’s what I thought.[/quote]

What exactly is your point?

Are you trying to talk trash to a specific person on this board?

Personally, I wish ND did what IW is doing and giving us a separate thing for offline co-op. I don't care at all about U2's online, I just want a mode where I could play with another person on the console. Of course, I suppose the reason behind that is because it would be too intense for the PS3 to handle.

Also, from what I've seen about MW2 I would say that it is more updated than Uncharted 2. Uncharted has everything that Uncharted 2 has minus the online. MW2 has a different co-op mode and a greatly tweaked online mode. The majority of the weapons and their attachments are new. Compared to Uncharted 2 where I don't really think there's that many added weapons. Of course, I haven't played the first Uncharted in awhile.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Uncharted 2... it's one of the best PS3 games I've played (next to MGS4) and I've been addicted to it since I picked it up. It has great visuals and gameplay. It's just that it doesn't have has much upgrades to the game as MW2. MW2 has all the updates that U2 has plus some.

P.S.3

Elite Member
Oct 25, 2006
They are slightly lazy. I mean, there are a lot of animations in MW 2 that were the same in MW 1 and it would have been nice to see them changed, but whatever. Also, I don't really see a huge graphics upgrade. Just because a game gives you new weapons and maps doesn't make it new.

coolguy

Ultimate Veteran
May 24, 2005
long island ny
Infinity Ward set the bar with online play with cod 4 modern warfare 1.
a lot of the game devoplers are trying to catch them with there own online play.
even world at war set the tone also

@ ttech10...you're joking, right?...

Uncharted 2 has an updated melee system, updated graphics, stealth mechanic, more weapons, hundreds more unlockables, new story, and CINEMA mode over the first game...noticed that I excluded any mention of the online co-op or competitive modes...

How is Modern Warfare 2 more of a sequel, and what logic empowers this thinking?...

Funeralfog

Master Guru
Nov 19, 2008
Camas, Washington USA
hating on MW2 is cool? no its normal, its just an upgraded COD4. its the same old shooter, which was the most overrated game EVER. it was good but WAAAAY overrated. IW just happened to make the best controls for a shooter.

DeputyDon

Elite Guru
Jun 7, 2005
www.youtube.com
I hate on MW2 because MW1 was fun for the first month. Then I quickly realized it was basically the same crap over and over again. Whether it's having to wait to move forward during the first spawn because of grenade launchers that can kill you from across the map, or the fact that the game was basically playing dodgeball with grenades.

Hardcore mode was filled with campers, and no, I don't care about it because I died often, I actually thought I was pretty good at HC mode. It just got old having to prefire through walls just to make sure there wasn't going to be a camper there. Plus the game can get pretty boring when you basically have to deal with people camping in the same building the entire game.

I hated the party system which barely ever worked for me, and actually manages to work even less now. I hate having entirely no control over what map I play. At least in Gears 2/Uncharted 2 we can get a vote. CoD4 you got a vote to veto, which only worked once. So half the time it would go from Bloc (crap map) to Chinatown (crap map). Then I'd just leave the server, rejoin for that game type and either get put back into the same exact one, or into a match that ends in 3 kills...

I also hated that HC was basically just a damage modifier because Radar is almost always on thanks to only 3 kill streak for the UAV, which is easy as pie. Speaking of killstreaks I hated that the helicopter could shoot you through anything and find you through anything.

At least the airbots that people complained about in KZ couldn't shoot through walls and really didn't do that much damage. The airstrikes were fine I guess. I also hated the fact that Juggernaut almost needed to be on because everybody else was using it. You'd imagine that Stopping power vs Juggernaut would be like neither had either perks, but no, it still took an extra shot or two to kill a Jugger which made stopping power useless and you were probably better off using double tap or using Juggernaut yourself. Which made the entire first perk slot pointless.

The Martyrdom was annoying but not for the reason most people say. It was annoying because people would leave it on for hardcore, then try to be all rambo and rush only to get killed immediately and drop the nade right next to me. So I've been killed more by my own teammates from Martyrdom than enemies.

I also hate how sometimes the spawns will **** up (this is also an issue with U2, or at least it was in the demo I haven't played the full game multiplayer much yet to know). Meaning during say a team deathmatch I could die and then spawn right next to or in front of three or four enemies and die immediately. Hmm. What else am I forgetting? I don't know. I guess that's it for now.

*waits for people to say 'You just suck at the game'* - lol.

With all that said, if I have the money I'll be getting MW2 mainly because everyone else I know will have it as well. Plus I'm hoping that they actually did fix some issues. I personally think they should either reduce the damage through walls or how many walls it can go through. The helicopter and mounted guns can shoot through practically anything. (Memories of people spamming the mounted guns on downpour with deep impact are haunting.)

rbrtchng

Forum Guru
Aug 25, 2006
I don't understand since when do gamers judge the quality of games based on how many bullet point features that are on the back of the box.

For me, it's execution. Quality features over quantity features. Uncharted 2 doesn't need a co-op, a multiplayer, or anything, it just needed to surpass Uncharted in every single way and deliver an exciting adventure that's not been experienced before. Like for action games, I look for the evolving action for every sequel. For fighting games, I look for the fighting mechanics and the balance. For shooting games, I look for how shooting feels (arcade or sim) and replay value. For adventure games, I look for non-stop adrenaline cinematic sensation, and awesome story coupled by awesome characters.

What I'm saying is that different genre needs different things to warrant a successful sequel. I mean, I wouldn't fault Call of Duty for not having Mario-style platforming. So it's not fair to say MW2 is an awesome sequel compared to Uncharted 2 because MW2 has more replay modes because conversely, I can say that Uncharted 2 is a better sequel than MW2 because it has an updated story that players actually care about.

But all that's beside the point. I think the point of this thread is to react against IW's dropping co-op. So if that's the case, I'd rather reserve judgement and see if that makes sense when the game actually comes out and I can play it, than sit here and say that's a dumb decision without actually playing the game.

AaronSOLDIER

Ultimate Veteran
Apr 5, 2007
forums.final7fantasy.com
[QUOTE="L1nux K1ng, post: 0]For one, Infinity Ward are not lazy. They make great games such as the COD series, so I don't know how anyone could call them "lazy". I am looking forward to getting Modern Warfare 2, and I'm sure it will just be as good as the past games IW made.[/quote]

They don't make anything other than CoD :lol:

And they are nowhere near Naughty Dog, they couldn't even be bothered updating CoD4 with trophies. So yes, they are somewhat lazy.

Spider

Elite Sage
Jul 16, 2008
[QUOTE="RawK_Solid, post: 0]If this was a PS3 exclusive, there would be very little hate.[/quote]
wow...

if the world was upside down... we would be upside down...

good job telling us something completely pointless

they are lazy when it comes to co-op end of story

RawK_Solid

Dedicated Member
Mar 23, 2008
[QUOTE="Spider, post: 0]wow...

if the world was upside down... we would be upside down...

good job telling us something completely pointless

they are lazy when it comes to co-op end of story[/quote]
The world is upside down, but since we are used to being upside down, we think we are rightside up. :p

The point is that people are flaming it because for whatever reason it's cool to be hating on one of the most popular games EVER.

It's easy to figure out, you don't have to be real smart, but if it was a PS3 exclusive, it would be praised and held as the highest standard because this is a PS3 forum. It's logic, maybe you'll understand someday.

IW never made Co-op on COD4, and they felt it wouldn't be great for MW2. 402 has stated that companies shouldn't be quick to do something just so they can add the bullet to the back of the box and fool consumers. They felt it wouldn't be a good fit, so rather than use valuable resources building a co-op version, they spent their time completing the campaign, creating Spec-Ops, & retooling multiplayer. For me, I'd rather them spend their time making those experiences even better rather than trying to force feed us a co-op.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="Suzano-O, post: 0]@ ttech10...you're joking, right?...

Uncharted 2 has an updated melee system, updated graphics, stealth mechanic, more weapons, hundreds more unlockables, new story, and CINEMA mode over the first game...noticed that I excluded any mention of the online co-op or competitive modes...

How is Modern Warfare 2 more of a sequel, and what logic empowers this thinking?...[/quote]

I just personally think that MW2 has more upgrades than Uncharted 2.

(Long and [warning:biased] reasoning.)
Of course, it's difficult to say with certainty that one game does indeed have more upgrades/new features than the other when we've only had one game released... but in my opinion, Uncharted 2 really only has upgraded graphics, sneak attack from cover and online (which I'm never going to use, but still, it has it) and from what I've seen, MW2 has more standout upgrades (more new weapons, more attachments, new online game modes and perks, new killstreaks with new system and a new offline game mode).

I know I'm leaving out everything that may be added in Uncharted's online, but I didn't find it that exciting during the BETA a while back but I'm not going to count it as an 'upgrade/new feature' if I'm never going to use it. Much like that cinema mode (which I honestly have never heard of).

Everyone is going to have their own opinion about this and mine is that I find MW2 (based on what I've heard/seen) to be more of an upgrade than Uncharted 2. So, based on my opinion and what matters to me, I find MW2 to be more of an upgrade than Uncharted 2.

It really is a difficult comparison though, since one is just adding online (which I don't like) and the other is adding a great deal to their online (which I really enjoy), and I think it also really just comes down to personal opinions... so we'll never know which game actually outdoes the other.

I really don't want to try to argue this because it's just going to go back and forth because we will each have much different opinions regarding the two games, so I'm just going to stick to the topic at hand about why it's different from other sequels and lazy devs.

On topic:

I don't think either development team is necessarily lazy or that Uncharted 2 or Modern Warfare 2 are any different from any other sequel.

Sequels have a variety of new aspects/features as well as upgraded graphics, gameplay, etc. Both of these games have those. I really don't think one sequel is different from any other sequel. If one were, wouldn't it just be a completely new game?

And as for being lazy? I really don't think either team is lazy. They both spent a long time and put a lot of effort into these games.

I don't get how the story about IW creating Spec Ops mode would imply any development team is lazy or not. IW created a new game mode and levels instead of just throwing in a second character into the single player campaign. That has nothing to do with laziness but rather presentation of the story (that's the way I see it). Much like in Resistance 1, it was weird having that second guy there whenever the cutscenes and dialogue only mentioned and addressed Hale. It just threw the whole story off.

It didn't bother me, but like Infinity Ward's reason to make co-op separate, it did mess with the cinematic experience. I actually like when games just throw in a second character into the single player story missions because I usually find the missions fun and wouldn't mind playing them with a friend on my team whenever they come over to hang out.

I haven't attempted to play co-op on Uncharted 2 so I'm not sure how they do it on there, but I would imagine you would just have the other player play the part of the other character (Tenzin, Sully, Chloe, Elena or Flynn) so it wouldn't really mess with the whole 'cinematic experience', thus no need to add a separate mode for two players.

Spider

Elite Sage
Jul 16, 2008
[QUOTE="RawK_Solid, post: 0]The world is upside down, but since we are used to being upside down, we think we are rightside up. :p

The point is that people are flaming it because for whatever reason it's cool to be hating on one of the most popular games EVER.

It's easy to figure out, you don't have to be real smart, but if it was a PS3 exclusive, it would be praised and held as the highest standard because this is a PS3 forum. It's logic, maybe you'll understand someday.

IW never made Co-op on COD4, and they felt it wouldn't be great for MW2. 402 has stated that companies shouldn't be quick to do something just so they can add the bullet to the back of the box and fool consumers. They felt it wouldn't be a good fit, so rather than use valuable resources building a co-op version, they spent their time completing the campaign, creating Spec-Ops, & retooling multiplayer. For me, I'd rather them spend their time making those experiences even better rather than trying to force feed us a co-op.[/quote]
so because its the most popular game... we cant hate on it... cause we are just trying to be cool... to a bunch of people we will never meet... so the game is perfect?

i hated on KZ2... and that was a PS3 exclusive... i still bought it, but i hated on lack of CO-OP...

doing same here...

anyway, MW2 is going to be just a great game... no where near as impressive as the first MW... but in your opinion, they should get straight 10/10's cause any critic must just be to be cool

nye99

Apprentice
Apr 18, 2008
Wales
[QUOTE="DeputyDon, post: 0]I hate on MW2 because MW1 was fun for the first month. Then I quickly realized it was basically the same crap over and over again. Whether it's having to wait to move forward during the first spawn because of grenade launchers that can kill you from across the map, or the fact that the game was basically playing dodgeball with grenades.

Hardcore mode was filled with campers, and no, I don't care about it because I died often, I actually thought I was pretty good at HC mode. It just got old having to prefire through walls just to make sure there wasn't going to be a camper there. Plus the game can get pretty boring when you basically have to deal with people camping in the same building the entire game.

I hated the party system which barely ever worked for me, and actually manages to work even less now. I hate having entirely no control over what map I play. At least in Gears 2/Uncharted 2 we can get a vote. CoD4 you got a vote to veto, which only worked once. So half the time it would go from Bloc (crap map) to Chinatown (crap map). Then I'd just leave the server, rejoin for that game type and either get put back into the same exact one, or into a match that ends in 3 kills...

I also hated that HC was basically just a damage modifier because Radar is almost always on thanks to only 3 kill streak for the UAV, which is easy as pie. Speaking of killstreaks I hated that the helicopter could shoot you through anything and find you through anything.

At least the airbots that people complained about in KZ couldn't shoot through walls and really didn't do that much damage. The airstrikes were fine I guess. I also hated the fact that Juggernaut almost needed to be on because everybody else was using it. You'd imagine that Stopping power vs Juggernaut would be like neither had either perks, but no, it still took an extra shot or two to kill a Jugger which made stopping power useless and you were probably better off using double tap or using Juggernaut yourself. Which made the entire first perk slot pointless.

The Martyrdom was annoying but not for the reason most people say. It was annoying because people would leave it on for hardcore, then try to be all rambo and rush only to get killed immediately and drop the nade right next to me. So I've been killed more by my own teammates from Martyrdom than enemies.

I also hate how sometimes the spawns will **** up (this is also an issue with U2, or at least it was in the demo I haven't played the full game multiplayer much yet to know). Meaning during say a team deathmatch I could die and then spawn right next to or in front of three or four enemies and die immediately. Hmm. What else am I forgetting? I don't know. I guess that's it for now.

*waits for people to say 'You just suck at the game'* - lol.

With all that said, if I have the money I'll be getting MW2 mainly because everyone else I know will have it as well. Plus I'm hoping that they actually did fix some issues. I personally think they should either reduce the damage through walls or how many walls it can go through. The helicopter and mounted guns can shoot through practically anything. (Memories of people spamming the mounted guns on downpour with deep impact are haunting.)[/quote]

i agree with you 100%!!
except i will not be buying it for over £30.00, and that will never happen, so i aint getting it...

ash91

Super Elite
Jul 11, 2008
UK
[QUOTE="Cliché-Skating, post: 0]Exactly. :lol:

I laugh at people who dilberatley hate on whats hip , cool and swell because they're so blatantly idiotic and sensless. Why hate whats good ? Your supposed to hate whats bad , not whats good. You dont see people loving Bin Laden and hating on Obama do you ? In this case its hate on MW 2 and hump Battlfield Bad Company 2. * cough * Just to be different * cough *[/quote]
Out of all the post you've made on this forum, this has got to be the worst.
People don't hate COD because it's "cool," people hate it because it's just another generic FPS which everyone has seen before. :rolleyes:
In fact, it's people like you who are what's wrong with the world. You only like it because it's cool. Nobody I know can give me a valid reason of why they play COD. Most just say "but... but... it's COD." And I bet you're the same with everything else. People like you probably like iPods because they're popular despite the fact that Walkmans and Zunes have much better sound qulality and are a hell of a lot cheaper. So don't call other people for being able to see what is actually good and not just 'popular.'

Strudel

Forum Elder
Sep 2, 2007
England, UK
www.playfire.com
Its human nature to be unhappy when they find out they're not getting something they thought they were, they feel cheated. However to feel this before the product has even arrived is a bit foolish, they say it was for the best, so why not trust them and then find out when you get the game.

Have a little faith in the company that brought you CoD1,2,4

RawK_Solid

Dedicated Member
Mar 23, 2008
[QUOTE="Spider, post: 0]so because its the most popular game... we cant hate on it... cause we are just trying to be cool... to a bunch of people we will never meet... so the game is perfect?

i hated on KZ2... and that was a PS3 exclusive... i still bought it, but i hated on lack of CO-OP...

doing same here...

anyway, MW2 is going to be just a great game... no where near as impressive as the first MW... but in your opinion, they should get straight 10/10's cause any critic must just be to be cool[/quote]
Quit trying to formulate my opinion with your outlandish logic. It's petty.

If you were raggin on KZ2 due to a lack of co-op, at least you are consistent. Personally, Co-op isn't important to me. For people that are calling IW lazy because they didn't include it is just baseless. Co-op isn't something that SHOULD be included and isn't something that IS a standard for all multiplayer games.

Again, would you have preferred that they did a half-*** job implementing it (even though they felt it ruined the experience) and making the rest of the other parts suffer, or would you rather have them put their resources and effort making the other parts better? They have a deadline to meet and have to weigh the pros & cons of each decision. By the sound of it, the campaign, spec-ops, & competitive multiplayer will all be highly polished in time for release rather than feeling rushed. There isn't anything more disappointing that a hotly anticipated game getting rushed out the door with an incomplete feel when you play it.

RawK_Solid

Dedicated Member
Mar 23, 2008
[QUOTE="neoxthexone, post: 0]Haze.....
Exclusive and not many people like it.[/quote]
True, but before launch the expectations were high. Only after did it truly disappoint.

I just find it amusing so many people jump on the bandwagon as fans or haters just because everybody else is (this isn't limited to video games, it's everything else in life too. I guess it comes with the territory in pop culture, but it's still annoying). Don't be a sheep. And many of the people that I see complaining about MW2 in the end say something like "well I'm still gonna get it, but only because my friends are." Why? If you don't like something, speak with your wallet.

Personally, I think that IW did a great job with COD4, and it was the most addicting game I've ever played. I still play it to this day almost 2 years later. I like watching people play it. It's like a sport. Yes it's an arcade shooter and not realistic. But the controls are 2nd to none and the unlockables and prestige mode kept me going for months and months. Now MW2 is gonna have more unlockables, more guns, more maps, fix things that plagued the last one & keep the same feel...and add in a spec-ops mode...sounds like a great sequel to me and a day one purchase.

Spider

Elite Sage
Jul 16, 2008
[QUOTE="RawK_Solid, post: 0]Quit trying to formulate my opinion with your outlandish logic. It's petty.

If you were raggin on KZ2 due to a lack of co-op, at least you are consistent. Personally, Co-op isn't important to me. For people that are calling IW lazy because they didn't include it is just baseless. Co-op isn't something that SHOULD be included and isn't something that IS a standard for all multiplayer games.

Again, would you have preferred that they did a half-*** job implementing it (even though they felt it ruined the experience) and making the rest of the other parts suffer, or would you rather have them put their resources and effort making the other parts better? They have a deadline to meet and have to weigh the pros & cons of each decision. By the sound of it, the campaign, spec-ops, & competitive multiplayer will all be highly polished in time for release rather than feeling rushed. There isn't anything more disappointing that a hotly anticipated game getting rushed out the door with an incomplete feel when you play it.[/quote]

sorry i am using logic again...

-developer says they will have campaign co-op
-developer says that they can't do it

that means they are lazy... least when it comes to co-op...

dose not make them terrible devs, i am lazy as hell when it comes to certain things, i dont think i am a bad person...

you guys need to get off the idea that IW is perfect... cause they are not... i like IW, i got a icon for them on the left
<--------------------------------------------

but they are lazy for not figuring out how to do co-op well enough... and that disappointments me...