How much do you think its worth?

Legend Killer

Master Poster
Dec 24, 2005
Please forgive me if this was posted before but i'm getting sick and tired of hearing people complaining about the PS3 price so I came up with this idea since you guys are so great at pricing electronic devices why don't you tell me how much you think the PS3 is worth.

Cell BE processor = the most powerful processor ever used in a console.

RSX > 7800GTX don't forget that.

512 MB of RAM memory.

Blu ray player= 25-50 GB of storage.

DVD player= for all your DVDs you already have.

Keyboard and mouse support= great for FPS and web browsing.

60 Gig hardrive= out of the box which means faster load times and a hell of a lot for game demos and stuff like that.

Free Basic online service= Need I say more ?

HDMI input= for future HDTV for a cleaner & clearer picture.

1080p resolution= True HD for both games and Movies.

Web browser= can't beat a stage in a game why not search for cheats
right there on the console or check your email or visit your favorite PS3 Forums. :wink:

Blue tooth Wireless controller with tilt sensor= the possibilities of this controller is endless.

Backward Compatibility= play your favourite PS1 & PS2 games.

Wi-Fi out of the box = connect your PSP wirelesly anywhere in your house no wires needed.

Memory Stick: standard/Duo, SD: standard/mini Compact Flash = more storage for saved game files, pictures, music, etc.

4 USB ports= connect your external storage device and stuff like that.

If you ask me $600 is well worth it, IMO I think the PS3 worth $3000 or more :shock: we're getting alot for $600 bux thanks Sony a console that worths every penny.

How much do you think its worth ?

If I'm missing anything please feel free to notify me.

The House

Master Guru
Jul 13, 2005
I think I was the most pissed person in this whole forum when the price was announed until I thought about it and started to think that this is an investment to my entertainment sytem which will last me for 8 years and it didn't look as bad after all.

Cera

Forum Guru
Jan 16, 2006
Considering I will only be making use of the things in it like Cell, RSX, bluetooth, etc., and will not be using the stuff like HDMI, browser, WiFi, etc., it's worth about USD399 retail to me- a perfectly reasonble price especially since companies take a ~~200USD initial loss per unit.

Something that I will not use is worth 0 to me, regardless of the cost price to the company that made it.

But then again, the current RRP is only at 500 and 600 because they crammed in all that extra media stuff.

Capo Digi

Superior Member
Dec 17, 2005
Let's not forget the £100+ I'll save by staying in the weekend it's launched.
Business as usual the weekend after of course.

guybrush

Dedicated Member
May 5, 2006
Let's not forget the £100+ I'll save by staying in the weekend it's launched.
Business as usual the weekend after of course.
Ha Ha true - funny how we can moan about paying £425 for something that will last maybe 6 or 7 years then go blow £100 on a night you cant remember....that said the PS3 will cost me the same as a weekend in Prague - hard to say what provides the most entertainment :!:

I think its worth the price - dont have a clue what it actualy costs to make but £425 for a console is ok by me

WhatRuOn

Super Bias Moderator
Dec 1, 2005
Cera said:
Considering I will only be making use of the things in it like Cell, RSX, bluetooth, etc., and will not be using the stuff like HDMI, browser, WiFi, etc., it's worth about USD399 retail to me- a perfectly reasonble price especially since companies take a ~~200USD initial loss per unit.

Something that I will not use is worth 0 to me, regardless of the cost price to the company that made it.

But then again, the current RRP is only at 500 and 600 because they crammed in all that extra media stuff.
Quote that for truth. That pretty much sums up my views.

ranthum

Superior Member
May 9, 2006
WhatRuOn said:
Cera said:

Quote that for truth. That pretty much sums up my views.
I feel the same way. I don't want to pay for things that I won't use, no matter how good of a deal I'm getting on it. Reminds me of when women go shopping. "Look at this nice shirt I got you. I saved $50 on it." But they still spent $50 on something that I have no use for.

Legend Killer

Master Poster
Dec 24, 2005
Its funny back when Sony was about to release the PS1 for $299 everyone in the game industry was complaining that they set the price for the PS1 to low and it will ruin the game industry 200 million consoles later and counting the game industry have never been better.

Now that Sony set the Price for the PS3 at $600 everyone is complaining its too expensive, how ironic that the same guys who were saying its too cheap is the ones making the most noise pfft... pathetic if you ask me. :roll:

Graham

like.no.other
Dec 3, 2005
It's certainly not worth creating another thread relating to price. I wish mods would create a single price-sticky, and anything to do with price should go in there. It's getting really boring, really fast.

The House

Master Guru
Jul 13, 2005
Graham said:
It's certainly not worth creating another thread relating to price. I wish mods would create a single price-sticky, and anything to do with price should go in there. It's getting really boring, really fast.
What he said, (words words)

Praxis

Apprentice
May 24, 2006
www.nintendoplayers.com
Guys, guys, I like the PS3 as much as the next guy but we all know Sony has a tendency to hype systems. The Cell is NOT the end-all-be-all of processing. It's a nice processor, don't get me wrong, and has certain advantages when it comes to processing and outperforms the 360 processor in most fields (the 360 should do better with integer calculations) but it's not a magic bullet. Read Arstechnica.

The RSX is a tad more powerful than the R500 in the XBox 360; but the 360's card has certain advantages, such as free antialiasing. The 360's card is actually better in some respects while the PS3's graphics card is better in other ways.

Legend Killer said:
Please forgive me if this was posted before but i'm getting sick and tired of hearing people complaining about the PS3 price so I came up with this idea since you guys are so great at pricing electronic devices why don't you tell me how much you think the PS3 is worth.

Cell BE processor = the most powerful processor ever used in a console.

RSX > 7800GTX don't forget that.
See above.

512 MB of RAM memory.
Same as the 360.

Blu ray player= 25-50 GB of storage.
Nice; but sold at manufactured price or even a small loss, just the Blu-ray drive isn't that expensive.

DVD player= for all your DVDs you already have.
This should be considered a standard.

Keyboard and mouse support= great for FPS and web browsing.
Both PS3 and 360 and Wii have USB ports; any of them could support keyboards and mouses if a developer chose to in a game.

60 Gig hardrive= out of the box which means faster load times and a hell of a lot for game demos and stuff like that.
That's nice, though, check the price of such drives. Not that bad.

Free Basic online service= Need I say more ?
This should be considered standard. Microsoft are just jerks for charging. One of the reasons I will never buy a 360. I refuse to pay a subscription to play online. Not ONE of my PC games charges me, nor will my Wii or PS3.

HDMI input= for future HDTV for a cleaner & clearer picture.
It's got a nice plug. Yay.

1080p resolution= True HD for both games and Movies.
Good. Just requires the higher bandwidth HDMI port though, it adds very little to the cost of the system.

Web browser= can't beat a stage in a game why not search for cheats
right there on the console or check your email or visit your favorite PS3 Forums. :wink:
Wii has one. Microsoft was stupid not to.

Blue tooth Wireless controller with tilt sensor= the possibilities of this controller is endless.
Controllers are seperate, doesn't add to the cost of the system.

Backward Compatibility= play your favourite PS1 & PS2 games.
Very good, but again, doesn't add to the cost of the system.

Wi-Fi out of the box = connect your PSP wirelesly anywhere in your house no wires needed.
WiFi costs almost nothing for manufacturers to add these days. Again, Microsoft are jerks for charging $99 for it- while external WiFi is more expensive, Microsoft could have included it in the 360 for probably around $20.

Memory Stick: standard/Duo, SD: standard/mini Compact Flash = more storage for saved game files, pictures, music, etc.
I applaud Sony for putting in SD and CF slots, but again, it's not going to add a lot to the system.
4 USB ports= connect your external storage device and stuff like that.
Standard on all next gen systems and even the PS2.

I think the PS3 worth $3000 or more :shock:
No. Way.

I'm not knocking the PS3. I'd take it any day over the 360 where I'd have to add $99 for wireless and $50 a year for online play and don't get Linux and Blu-ray and backwards compatability and all that stuff. But don't take Sony's claims on the worth of the system at face value.

But I personally think the $600 version should be $500 (with a 20 GB hard drive). Maybe $550.

Though it's always possible that Cell yields were worse than IBM expected and ended up more expensive than all the tech guys thought. But that would be a blunder on their part.

Mich

Apprentice
Nov 24, 2005
Praxis said:
The RSX is a tad more powerful than the R500 in the XBox 360; but the 360's card has certain advantages, such as free antialiasing. The 360's card is actually better in some respects while the PS3's graphics card is better in other ways.
the xenos in the x360 isn't based on the r500, it's a standalone design that cannot be compared to current technologies used in pc graphical cards (unified vs seperated pp and vs). And yes, nvidia said that the rsx is faster than 2 6800ultra's in sli and faster than a 7800gtx, so for the time i'll stick by their word.

WhatRuOn

Super Bias Moderator
Dec 1, 2005
Praxis said:
I'm not knocking the PS3. I'd take it any day over the 360 where I'd have to add $99 for wireless and $50 a year for online play and don't get Linux and Blu-ray and backwards compatability and all that stuff. But don't take Sony's claims on the worth of the system at face value.
I just want to point out that you don't have to spend anywhere near $99 to make your 360 wireless.

Nstriker20

Forum Elder
Jul 24, 2005
www.ps3forums.com
If people want the Price tag of $399 for a gaming console, then go and buy a xbox360 which is less powerful than the PS3. IF you want a High performance system (PS3) then cough up the cash for it.

IT's just like saying i want a brand new Nissan 350Z but i only want to pay $10,000 for it. That's just being ridiculous.

May 10, 2006
After E3 I'd say PS3 is worth about $399, you can list everything you want if they games look the same or slightly better I can't see a reason to pay a $200 more.

The House

Master Guru
Jul 13, 2005
Nstriker20 said:
If people want the Price tag of $399 for a gaming console, then go and buy a xbox360 which is less powerful than the PS3. IF you want a High performance system (PS3) then cough up the cash for it.

IT's just like saying i want a brand new Nissan 350Z but i only want to pay $10,000 for it. That's just being ridiculous.
YAY you used my favorite car an exmaple yay. :D

A

Aleman

I don't use my consoles for much besides gaming, so any console is worth $400 or less. I paid $600 for my 360 on Ebay and regret it (I like the console, but paid too much).

Feb 12, 2006
thebloodlineclan.com
Praxis, im not going to quote you bcause it's too long of a post, but you did seem to say a lot of "shouldn't add too much" and if you add up all those "slightly betters" and "little expenses" (even though i dont consider blu-ray and a 60GB HDD "little expences") you dont think it would add up to $200 difference??

I think it's amazing Sony was able to cram it all in at $600, i think if you got a PC with all that in it it could very well top 3 grand!

S

SuperSJ-PS3

Nstriker20 said:

That's real man, Peoples these days have no since of value in the product at all. Cheap dosn't always mean good. The PS3 is expensive for a reason and it's a damn good reason too. :D

Cera

Forum Guru
Jan 16, 2006
Nstriker20 said:

Well, if I would need and use 10,000 of the Nissan 350Z, then it'll still be worth 10,000 to me. I think it would be more ridiculous to think something is worth more just because it has fancy features I'll never use. Stuff that only offers me bragging rights have no monetary value IMO.

It's ridiculous of Sony to make ME pay for and subsidise the developement and hardware costs of something that not I, but OTHER people will use.

May 10, 2006
Nstriker20 said:

No it's like saying I want a brand new 350z but can get a Corvette C06 for a cheaper price.

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
:) Wait til TGS if you think it isnt worth it. The tilt controller isnt the only thing Kutaragi has been holding back on.

Besides, what's all this crazy talk about the PS3 being $600? It's $500 to get everything a Premium 360 has and you wont be charged for online gaming.

I'll lay this gauntlet down on the table right here right now. The only people complaining about the price of the PS3 are people who are looking for a reason to complain. For years, people have been whining about graphics and power.. Now that a system starts delivering it, the price tag seems too steep. We can't have it both ways.

Maybe if the 360 had launched this year, Sony wouldnt feel the pressure of the industry to launch this thing so soon and it would be cheaper as a result, it's really too late to know. What counts is that the price will go down one day, and you're only screwing yourself if you've been waiting so long for this only to turn around and buy something else. If you need a fix, go get a Wii or something. The PS3 is going to be an amazing system that delivers what everyone has wanted, bigger and better games.

If the cost of two years of Live really breaks your bank, then stick to your PS2 or XBox or whatever you like right now. I, for one, am happy to get what I pay for and I'm happy to get a lot.

Naboomagnoli

Master Poster
Dec 17, 2005
@Praxis: I agree with most of what you said, including that it should probably be $50 less.. then again I'm fine with paying $500 for the standard pack because I for one really look forward to delving deep into what I'll be getting (especially all the little extras that Sony haven't gone into at length). I'm really looking forward to getting films like Kung Fu Hustle, Hero etc and watching them in hi-def, and as I've said before i'm really excited about what people will be brewing up in Linux! First and foremost I'm excited about the games because I know that, as well as all the original titles, I'll be booking a ticket into a lot of AAA Sony exclusives for the third generation running, and I know that I can play as much or as little of it online as I like.

Feb 12, 2006
thebloodlineclan.com
Naboomagnoli said:
@Praxis: I agree with most of what you said, including that it should probably be $50 less.. then again I'm fine with paying $500 for the standard pack because I for one really look forward to delving deep into what I'll be getting (especially all the little extras that Sony haven't gone into at length). I'm really looking forward to getting films like Kung Fu Hustle, Hero etc and watching them in hi-def, and as I've said before i'm really excited about what people will be brewing up in Linux! First and foremost I'm excited about the games because I know that, as well as all the original titles, I'll be booking a ticket into a lot of AAA Sony exclusives for the third generation running, and I know that I can play as much or as little of it online as I like.
After breaking the piggy bank for the PS3 i think i will be looking for homebrew Linux to keep me entertained bfore i can afford games again! :lol:

WhatRuOn

Super Bias Moderator
Dec 1, 2005
Lefein said:
Besides, what's all this crazy talk about the PS3 being $600? It's $500 to get everything a Premium 360 has and you wont be charged for online gaming.
[...]
If the cost of two years of Live really breaks your bank, then stick to your PS2 or XBox or whatever you like right now. I, for one, am happy to get what I pay for and I'm happy to get a lot.
PS2's online gaming was free? Because it costed Sony how much money to deliver it to you? I won't believe that Sony's online service will be this Live killer you fans make it out to be, until I see it for my own eyes. You can turn around and say, "But Ken K. said the online will have have, this this this and this" but remember he also said that the PS2 was going to have that that that and that back at 1999's E3...and they never happened.

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
I dont care if PS3s online is a "Live killer" personally. I could honestly care les if all it is is an interface on the games themselves with an IM integrated to the system.

All I care about is that Im not charged for it.. Buying a 360 and not having online pay is like buying a new car and not insuring it or pretending that a mortgage is all you pay for a house with no bills.

A PS3 is "All utilities paid" from day1.

S

SuperSJ-PS3

Cera said:
Nstriker20 said:

Well, if I would need and use 10,000 of the Nissan 350Z, then it'll still be worth 10,000 to me. I think it would be more ridiculous to think something is worth more just because it has fancy features I'll never use. Stuff that only offers me bragging rights have no monetary value IMO.

It's ridiculous of Sony to make ME pay for and subsidise the developement and hardware costs of something that not I, but OTHER people will use.
The blu-ray drive it's not something that you will use "maybe", but it will be something you'll need with in 1 or 2 years from now. You may think now that dvd-9 for the 360 have more than enough space for gaming... but really in your honestly opion, does 6.8gb of space is really enough for next-gen gaming and also for developer?

What blu-ray offer is more than just high def. movies alone, it also offer the value of game play and space of storage. First gen games of the PS3 may or may not surpass 7.4gb mark but second gen of PS3 games will for sure surpass 7.4gb mark. Compression is known all over to be a wast of time and wast of effert by anyone whom wish for there creation to be well fit it.