How much do you tip in restaurants?

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
So, when you guys go out to a restaurant - be it a fancy date or a casual family meal - how much do you think is an acceptable amount to tip the waiter or waitress? I only ask because I was in a restaurant today eating lunch with some friends and, being the generous soul I am, I decided I'd leave a tip for the waitress. We paid the bill and left £5 on top of the tab for the waitress. When she collected it, she looked at the money then shot us a 'Is that all I'm getting?' look. I was left a bit shocked to be honest. I thought £5 was more than generous but apparently not.

What do you think? Was I being a cheapskate or was the waitress just acting like a spoiled brat?

squirrelbo1

young rich and tasteless
Jul 27, 2008
London
how much was dinner ????

you tip 10%. depends where you are as well. like at uni i don't tip in the uni restaurant, because A i have no money, B 10% would be like £2.50 of the meal and that's just shit. and im not giving £5 for a pizza and a coke (when i know they get paid more than me for their SU job, AND they dont tip me when im working :snicker)

C

Comatosed

[QUOTE="Jaeger, post: 5635427]Dinner came to a total of £44.72p.[/QUOTE]

i'd tell em to keep the change out of a fifty.

*goo

Elite Guru
Aug 2, 2008
Normally 10% minimum. However, if the waiter adds their own tip directly to the bill; they get nothing.

[DT]

Forum Guru
May 1, 2008
Vilano Beach, FL
We tip 20% for excellent service (over 20% has to be some kind of above and beyond), and ~15% for good service. Doesn't matter the type of restaurant, but we have some "Flat Rate" tips for things like pizza delivery (our order is usually under $15, but we always tip $5 since it's kind of a drive out here).

Keep in mind an inexpensive meal may have the same (or more) effort than a more expensive meal, so I try to keep that in mind.

We also tip "To Go" orders where there's a bunch of prep, usually like 5-10%. Also for a couple of more complex coffee drinks, I'll usually drop a buck or two, or like the change and a dollar.

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
[QUOTE="Comatosed, post: 5635447]I'd tell em to keep the change out of a fifty.[/QUOTE]
So what I tipped her was about right, anyway, bar a few pence here and there. I just found it kind of rude in the way she gave us a dirty look. We could've walked away and not tipped her at all. I'm beginning to wish I had done.

May 5, 2011
USA
I don't tip ANYONE anymore.

One time I tipped a girl and she actually SNATCHED the money out of my hand. She didn't even say "thank you". I will never tip anyone again.

John25

Elite Sage
Apr 8, 2008
If a Waiter came looking for a fora tip I tell them to *Not Talk to Strangers* but then agasin Maccy's don't have waiters :p

J/k nah I usually pulln out the 20's and pay over by at least 10 quid cause Birds love the fact that you're not a Broke ass clown till the next mornin when your giving them bus fare :p....j/k nah I always give the change from a note in Resteraunts..at kleast a tenner and the change of a note any where else

Acid Snake

Super Elite
Sep 7, 2008
I never tip and I never will.

[QUOTE="Nick_Scryer, post: 5635474]I never tip.
They get paid for doing their job anyway, why should I give them extra?[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
[QUOTE="Nick_Scryer, post: 5635474]I never tip. They get paid for doing their job anyway, why should I give them extra?[/QUOTE]
For providing a service to us. Some waiting staff go out of their way to provide the public with a high-quality service -- much like how this waitress did, which is why I tipped her -- and it's those kind of people who deserve to be tipped. It's always been common practice for people to leave a tip of sorts, but it's always been up in the air about how much is considered an acceptable amount.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
This is a problem with tips.

Many, if not all waiters are paid LESS than minimum wage on the sole basis that they will be receiving tips.

It's different if it's a fast food restaurant, but bars and restaurants have developed an incredibly flawed system that has placed responsibility on the customer. It's not fair, and pretty fucked up.

[DT]

Forum Guru
May 1, 2008
Vilano Beach, FL

Many servers get paid less than minimum because they can receive tips, and with mediocre tips are barely scratching minimum.

We tip well for good service, and we very regularly get remembered, and trust me, it generates some really good karma.

Acid Snake

Super Elite
Sep 7, 2008
[DT];5635498 said:
Many servers get paid less than minimum because they can receive tips, and with mediocre tips are barely scratching minimum.

We tip well for good service, and we very regularly get remembered, and trust me, it generates some really good karma.
Eh, that's the job they chose, if people don't tip or tip very little, tough shit.

[DT]

Forum Guru
May 1, 2008
Vilano Beach, FL
[QUOTE="Acid Snake, post: 5635506]Eh, that's the job they chose, if people don't tip or tip very little, tough shit.[/QUOTE]

It's a job that factors in some kind of outside-the-wage compensation.

I don't get why some people are actually semi-hostile over it, but like I said, it's part of our positive karma and the wife and I both have some direct experience, so we're a little more giving for excellent service.

Maybe it's something that comes with age and perspective. :)

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
Since I'm only 18 and just starting to go out into the world on my own, the only place I've eaten at so far has been the Waffle House, mostly because it's cheap and close by. I normally leave a dollar as a tip, but my meals are only 4-7$ to begin with, and it's not like the waitresses work hard to walk 10 feet to refill my glass.

Last edited:

*goo

Elite Guru
Aug 2, 2008
[QUOTE="Jaeger, post: 5635467]So what I tipped her was about right, anyway, bar a few pence here and there. I just found it kind of rude in the way she gave us a dirty look. We could've walked away and not tipped her at all. I'm beginning to wish I had done.[/QUOTE]

This is a real problem in the restaurant industry. People believe it's their right to be given a tip and scoff when you either don't, or don't give enough (in their opinion). Screw em, you paid for the meal which is all you're obligated to.

Call them out next time, if they screw their face up; tell them to give you the change after all. Give them something to complain about.

squirrelbo1

young rich and tasteless
Jul 27, 2008
London
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 5635495]This is a problem with tips.

Many, if not all waiters are paid LESS than minimum wage on the sole basis that they will be receiving tips.

It's different if it's a fast food restaurant, but bars and restaurants have developed an incredibly flawed system that has placed responsibility on the customer. It's not fair, and pretty fucked up.[/QUOTE]

[DT];5635498 said:

not in the UK they arent. because law requires that tips don't count as a wage, although you are meant to declare them (nobody does) as taxable income. they are on minimum wage. but so am, and nobody tips me working in the bakery shop.

although I do like to tip but when i eat out, its very rare, and for the most part, all the money I had went on the meal :snicker (i could have left the 30p i had left in my account but thats worse than no tip) also i pay on card, so thats a bitch. I prefer it when service charge is included.

[DT]

Forum Guru
May 1, 2008
Vilano Beach, FL
[QUOTE="Rapture, post: 5635521]Since I'm only 18 and just starting to go out into the world on my own, the only place I've eaten at so far has been the Waffle House, mostly because it's cheap and close by. I normally leave a dollar as a tip, but my meals awe only 4-7$ to begin with, and it's not like the waitresses work hard to walk 10 feet to refill my glass.[/QUOTE]

Terrific post, and I meant to say in my original comment, we're able to give a little more, so we don't mind. You're giving a good tip for the logistics of the service and your financial situation!

:cool:

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
I tip according to services rendered...

If it was very good service, 20% of the bill. It goes down in % with a degradation in service. I also tip the cook/preparer depending on the quality of the food when we get it. Again, up to 20% of the cost. On average, with my family out at a restaurant, we pay $12-$15 in tips with good service. I always leave comments at the business, and with the businesses on-line feedback systems. ALWAYS. That goes for any business really.

I shipped my 360 off last week, and had a pre-paid UPS label. I took it to a UPS store, and still needed a better box, packing, etc. Instead of charging me for it, the UPS service attendant got me a suitable box (it was $7!!), packing material, etc., and got the package ready. He slapped on the pre-paid label, sealed it all up and scanned it into their system. It came in a tad overweight but he negated it. I thanked him for the very fast help, went on my way. I got home and immediately put in an email to UPS corporate explaining this same story, including the attendants name, etc. The employee emailed me two days ago to thank me for the comments I left, and to let me know he received a store bonus.

EHY893

Elite Guru
Jun 4, 2008
Usually 20% of the bill (mainly cause I go to very few select places which I know are good), I've never had an experience which warranted me dropping the tip any lower.

*goo

Elite Guru
Aug 2, 2008
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5635549]I tip according to services rendered...

If it was very good service, 20% of the bill. It goes down in % with a degradation in service. I also tip the cook/preparer depending on the quality of the food when we get it. Again, up to 20% of the cost. On average, with my family out at a restaurant, we pay $12-$15 in tips with good service. I always leave comments at the business, and with the businesses on-line feedback systems. ALWAYS. That goes for any business really.

I shipped my 360 off last week, and had a pre-paid UPS label. I took it to a UPS store, and still needed a better box, packing, etc. Instead of charging me for it, the UPS service attendant got me a suitable box (it was $7!!), packing material, etc., and got the package ready. He slapped on the pre-paid label, sealed it all up and scanned it into their system. It came in a tad overweight but he negated it. I thanked him for the very fast help, went on my way. I got home and immediately put in an email to UPS corporate explaining this same story, including the attendants name, etc. The employee emailed me two days ago to thank me for the comments I left, and to let me know he received a store bonus.[/QUOTE]

That's what they told you but in reality he got taken out the back, whipped to within an inch of his life for giving away free stuff and now has to work another 35 hours to cover the $10 in kind he gave you.

:p

[DT]

Forum Guru
May 1, 2008
Vilano Beach, FL
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5635549]
I shipped my 360 off last week, and had a pre-paid UPS label. I took it to a UPS store, and still needed a better box, packing, etc. Instead of charging me for it, the UPS service attendant got me a suitable box (it was $7!!), packing material, etc., and got the package ready. He slapped on the pre-paid label, sealed it all up and scanned it into their system. It came in a tad overweight but he negated it. I thanked him for the very fast help, went on my way. I got home and immediately put in an email to UPS corporate explaining this same story, including the attendants name, etc. The employee emailed me two days ago to thank me for the comments I left, and to let me know he received a store bonus.[/QUOTE]

We went back to a restaurant last week, had the same server, she remembered us (maybe the tip, maybe our stunning good looks :D ), but we wanted to take home a few things we had leftover, and she boxed them for us, and tossed in a whole extra roll of fresh bread and I said "too bad I didn't save more soup to make it worth taking", she brought back a whole to-go soup), she also had a special sort of "off menu" item made for us. She also spotted us our first round (said it was the end of the keg ... but they were excellent).

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
I just want a meal I don't want to have to do sums when I go eating.
Nobody tipped me when I was earning less than minimum wage (£1.62 per hour (apprentices are exempt from minimum wage laws) If they want more money they should go get a better job.

*goo

Elite Guru
Aug 2, 2008
[DT];5635588 said:
We went back to a restaurant last week, had the same server, she remembered us (maybe the tip, maybe our stunning good looks :D ), but we wanted to take home a few things we had leftover, and she boxed them for us, and tossed in a whole extra roll of fresh bread and I said "too bad I didn't save more soup to make it worth taking", she brought back a whole to-go soup), she also had a special sort of "off menu" item made for us. She also spotted us our first round (said it was the end of the keg ... but they were excellent).
Interesting thought, you're paying for all this stuff because of your tips - they're earned 'rewards' if you will.