How short is Final Fantasy XIII?

zeon9881

Forum Elder
Jul 7, 2007
I'm 6 hours in and I'm already in the beginning of chapter 4.

Unless theirs like 30 or so chapters, am I missing something or am I just progressing to fast. What I'm trying to say is: am I missing some side quests or something or is this how the game is? Because honoustly at this rate I'll probably finish the game by Saturday (which is bad cause next week is march break.)

Though the game is still epic it just feels short. Maybe it's just the beginning of the game which has small chapters.

----
I'm at the part right after lightning tells Hope why she went on the train In Bodhum. Than she ditches him and the story line goes back to Sazh and Vanille.

I put this into the post just incase someone accidentally tries to ruin the storyline...lolz:p

kuku

Veteran
Oct 19, 2006
It's not short, it's just that you don't have anything to do like traditional RPGS. Like helping a guy chased by monsters or doing delivers for a near dead NPC.

And the story ends up being pretty slow. So you feel like less happens.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="kuku, post: 0]It's not short, it's just that you don't have anything to do like traditional RPGS. Like helping a guy chased by monsters or doing delivers for a near dead NPC.

And the story ends up being pretty slow. So you feel like less happens.[/quote]

These are my two biggest complaints so far. The story is very slow and there is hardly any variety in the gameplay.

I'm up to the start of chapter seven, and I'm not going to lie, I think this game is pretty boring. Hopefully things get better.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="dc89, post: 0]Ahh right. Well that's not too bad![/quote]

Chapter seven is supposed to be when the game ramps up, but the slow start means I won't have the courage for more play-throughs.

One of the reasons I love FFX is because I can start a new file right after I finish the story. I've done it over fifteen times. That game is simply top-notch from beginning to end.

FFXIII may end being very good after all is said and done, but I'm disappointed that it won't have the same level of replay value.

JordanL

Elite Guru
Sep 29, 2005
[QUOTE="higgos22, post: 0]How long is this game said to last for? or expected to?[/quote]

About 50 hours. YMMV.

NightOnyx

Superior Member
Sep 25, 2009
Florida
Got the game last night and I am on chapter 3. I've played about 3 hours so far. I have been real busy so I have only been able to play about an hour and a half at night. I am hoping this weekend I will be able to put a lot of time into it.

Apr 10, 2008
www.ffxivinfo.com
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 0]One of the reasons I love FFX is because I can start a new file right after I finish the story. I've done it over fifteen times. That game is simply top-notch from beginning to end.[/quote]
I found X so "top-notch" that I finished the story in XII before X, despite having both from their release days. But different FFs for different people I guess.

Byoushinn

Elite Sage
Mar 22, 2007
[QUOTE="zeon9881, post: 0]I'm 6 hours in and I'm already in the beginning of chapter 4.

Unless theirs like 30 or so chapters, am I missing something or am I just progressing to fast. What I'm trying to say is: am I missing some side quests or something or is this how the game is? Because honoustly at this rate I'll probably finish the game by Saturday (which is bad cause next week is march break.)

Though the game is still epic it just feels short. Maybe it's just the beginning of the game which has small chapters.

----
I'm at the part right after lightning tells Hope why she went on the train In Bodhum. Than she ditches him and the story line goes back to Sazh and Vanille.

I put this into the post just incase someone accidentally tries to ruin the storyline...lolz:p[/quote]

Some of the last chapters are bigger than all those before it combined, so it's just a bit of a weird pacing. Don't worry if you think it's super short.

Bawheidbob

Superior Member
Oct 3, 2009
Scotland
www.theoldergamers.com
[QUOTE="SephirothX, post: 0]I found X so "top-notch" that I finished the story in XII before X, despite having both from their release days. But different FFs for different people I guess.[/quote]

Truth because i hated X could not play it past the area where you were swimming about - Crud

kuku

Veteran
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="Byoushinn, post: 0]Some of the last chapters are bigger than all those before it combined, so it's just a bit of a weird pacing. Don't worry if you think it's super short.[/quote]

Well more like battles take forever to finish. But there is more to do, so by the end you're hopefully getting back those 20+hrs of nothingness.

kuku

Veteran
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="zeon9881, post: 0]I heard the game gets less Linear after 20-30 hours, what does this mean?[/quote]

It means you can actually backtrack. It's still linear. Nothing in the game will ever be "not linear".

It's a straight line from beginning to end. You just finally have an option to not be at the same place at the same time.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="SephirothX, post: 0]I found X so "top-notch" that I finished the story in XII before X, despite having both from their release days. But different FFs for different people I guess.[/quote]

I meant the story and battle system were pretty much at top speed from the get-go. So it's easier to just start up a new file. Whether you enjoyed the game or not, that's another issue.

Regarding FFXIII, the battle system is definitely getting better and better, but that's bittersweet since a new file brings everything back to the beginning.

Don't get me wrong. I was obviously expecting the linearity and the battle-system to slowly ramp up, but I also expected an intense story all the way through, but the story seems to also have the tutorial mind-set. The character development and weaving within the first six chapters is great and much appreciated, but I think it could have been done in a much shorter time.

Anyway, I'm off to continue my file! I'm currently at the start of Chapter Seven....

Nov 23, 2005
Let's not forget that the first few chapters are dedicated to tutorials and draw the foundation to the storyline. There is no real need to have major long chapters to learn the combat system etc...

kuku

Veteran
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 0]I meant the story and battle system were pretty much at top speed from the get-go. So it's easier to just start up a new file. Whether you enjoyed the game or not, that's another issue.

Regarding FFXIII, the battle system is definitely getting better and better, but that's bittersweet since a new file brings everything back to the beginning.

Don't get me wrong. I was obviously expecting the linearity and the battle-system to slowly ramp up, but I also expected an intense story all the way through, but the story seems to also have the tutorial mind-set. The character development and weaving within the first six chapters is great and much appreciated, but I think it could have been done in a much shorter time.

Anyway, I'm off to continue my file! I'm currently at the start of Chapter Seven....[/quote]

first 6 chapters? The emotions will be rolling till you reach the very end, it's very central the approach to the story.

On "filler" character scenes though, afraid you got a lot more hours to go with that.

you really just have to get into the drama route. It's really all there is to this. You're suppose to scream with emotional sensations, otherwise, it'll be a pretty boring ride.

No don't make me spoil the ending ;)

[QUOTE="snooper71, post: 5002177]Let's not forget that the first few chapters are dedicated to tutorials and draw the foundation to the storyline. There is no real need to have major long chapters to learn the combat system etc...[/quote]

You technically don't graduate from the tutorial till 3/4ths or so of the game. Their approach to it seems to be to control your pace so everyone is experiencing the same journey. There's no getting ahead in this game.

If chapter 11 was chapter 5 this would have been a much different look upon game.

JordanL

Elite Guru
Sep 29, 2005
I was

in the Primarch's airship

And found a great spot to grind. Leveled tons of my items up and maxed out my grid on all chars. :)

MGSfan

Dedicated Member
Jun 24, 2005
[QUOTE="JordanL, post: 0]I was

And found a great spot to grind. Leveled tons of my items up and maxed out my grid on all chars. :)[/quote]

What chapter? :D

Muntu

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2008
[QUOTE="JordanL, post: 0]I was

And found a great spot to grind. Leveled tons of my items up and maxed out my grid on all chars. :)[/quote]
Yeah, that was such an awesome spot to grind. Grinded there for 3 or so hours and no obligatory boss has been hard after that. Pretty easy, in fact.

Fenix

Elite Sage
Aug 19, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Chapter 6 for me, at 13 hours - games getting really good, then they switch me to Sazh and Vanille in Nautilus. GAH! After all the cool ****, I get stuck with useless and becoming usefull. >.<