How's GTA Online on Live?

Oct 24, 2006
There was talk of Microsoft upgrading the infrastructure, just wondering how [un]successful this has been and whether Live is holding up to the GTA effect.

vorian

Superior Member
Sep 14, 2005
Really good so far, have played quite a few gametypes so here are some impressions -

All servers/gametypes can be set up from your mobile phone in single player. There are many options to choose from such as traffic density, pedestrian density, police on/off, respawn timer, weather conditions and time of day to name few. In co-op gametypes you can choose difficulty levels and much of the above. The character customisation is ok but could be more robust. Minimal lag on 360 so far and laughs abound...

So far I have been in Team DM, which we all know from numerous online titles, Race which is standard racing around LC through checkpoint markers, GTA Race that have weapon pickups and you can also change cars at anytime in this game mode if your ride has been totaled or driven off a bridge(like me - swim back to shore was a pain though hehe)...Cops vs. Crooks is my favourite of the adveserial games - two teams, one as cops and the other as crims - it's up to the police team to locate and neutralize the crooks before they make it to an escape vehicle, each round the teams change from cop, to crook.

You can free roam the city with or without police on with a max of 16 players - lots of mischief in this mode, reminds me of playing GTA games were you aren't doing any missions and just running amok with vehicles/weapons.

Hangman's Noose starts at an airport were a max of 4 players face of a 4 star A.I. assault until a VIP spawns, then its a drive to a holding point to complete the mission with police cars, SWAT trucks and helis in tow. This was the first co-op game we tried.

The last mode and my favourite of all the online in GTA so far is Bomb Da Base 2, 4 players need to stop an armored truck guarded by SUV's toting aggressive AI - once that is done the truck has to be delivered to a dock were the team receives a helicopter. Once you are airborne you make your way to a dock that has a ship that need to be bombed moored up. The AI is very agro here and it is easy to get cut down by snipers from the higher decks. We completed this one 2 out of 3 times last night - was awesome. On the last go I rough landed the chopper on the stern deck of the ship, which is quite small and so we bypassed a lot of the AI on the front deck and proceeded to the hold and then bridge very quickly. Planted the bombs and it's a race to get out of the ship. We all ran up to the deck and jumped overboard - cracking up!!!

Be prepared to laugh - a lot :)

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="vorian, post: 0]Really good so far, have played quite a few gametypes so here are some impressions -

All servers/gametypes can be set up from your mobile phone in single player. There are many options to choose from such as traffic density, pedestrian density, police on/off, respawn timer, weather conditions and time of day to name few. In co-op gametypes you can choose difficulty levels and much of the above. The character customisation is ok but could be more robust. Minimal lag on 360 so far and laughs abound...

So far I have been in Team DM, which we all know from numerous online titles, Race which is standard racing around LC through checkpoint markers, GTA Race that have weapon pickups and you can also change cars at anytime in this game mode if your ride has been totaled or driven off a bridge(like me - swim back to shore was a pain though hehe)...Cops vs. Crooks is my favourite of the adveserial games - two teams, one as cops and the other as crims - it's up to the police team to locate and neutralize the crooks before they make it to an escape vehicle, each round the teams change from cop, to crook.

You can free roam the city with or without police on with a max of 16 players - lots of mischief in this mode, reminds me of playing GTA games were you aren't doing any missions and just running amok with vehicles/weapons.

Hangman's Noose starts at an airport were a max of 4 players face of a 4 star A.I. assault until a VIP spawns, then its a drive to a holding point to complete the mission with police cars, SWAT trucks and helis in tow. This was the first co-op game we tried.

The last mode and my favourite of all the online in GTA so far is Bomb Da Base 2, 4 players need to stop an armored truck guarded by SUV's toting aggressive AI - once that is done the truck has to be delivered to a dock were the team receives a helicopter. Once you are airborne you make your way to a dock that has a ship that need to be bombed moored up. The AI is very agro here and it is easy to get cut down by snipers from the higher decks. We completed this one 2 out of 3 times last night - was awesome. On the last go I rough landed the chopper on the stern deck of the ship, which is quite small and so we bypassed a lot of the AI on the front deck and proceeded to the hold and then bridge very quickly. Planted the bombs and it's a race to get out of the ship. We all ran up to the deck and jumped overboard - cracking up!!!

Be prepared to laugh - a lot :)[/quote]

sounds extremely fun. I think I'll go ahead and break the seal on the 360 version, and play a little. +rep for such a descriptive reply.

Carl

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 26, 2006
[QUOTE="NinjaFridge, post: 0]I hate you all because i haven't got my (PS3) copy yet. Royal Mail suck huge ****ing balls[/quote]

Took the words right out of my mouth mate :twisted:

Zen1man

Apprentice
Mar 11, 2006
Sorry, off topic but I didn't want to create a whole thread just for this question. How the ^$*&$ do you hail a cab in gta 4?(xbox 360 version)

Oct 24, 2006
[QUOTE="vorian, post: 0]Really good so far, have played quite a few gametypes so here are some impressions -

Excellent response - thank you! +rep

Glad to hear all is well :).

vorian

Superior Member
Sep 14, 2005
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 2780041]sounds extremely fun. I think I'll go ahead and break the seal on the 360 version, and play a little. +rep for such a descriptive reply.[/QUOTE]

Just one of those games - on launch night I was being chased by an assault helicopter with three players in it peppering me with gunfire, I'm screaming through the streets trying to find a rocket launcher(all weapons are denoted by symbols on the mini-map), so, I finally find the rockets, scream up to the middle of the Brooklyn bridge-a-like and turn to face my pursuers only to face them all guns blazing hurtling towards me in a car full speed lol, I jump the divider in the middle of the bridge and let rip with a rocket but miss as they are doing a handbrake turn and go down in a hail of bullets.

Moments like that are every five minutes or so, heh, I'm laughing about it as I'm typing this...

Rip that game open man, and cheers for the rep ;)

[QUOTE="Zen1man, post: 0]Sorry, off topic but I didn't want to create a whole thread just for this question. How the ^$*&$ do you hail a cab in gta 4?(xbox 360 version)[/QUOTE]

Tap the Left Bumper button as a cab drives by and Niko will whistle. Make sure you hold the 'Y' button on to get in the cab, if you tap 'Y' Niko will steal it instead...

Something funny happened in single player last night, I was trying to steal a slow moving car, Niko grabs the door handle but the car accelerates, I'm then being dragged along the street holding on to this car! I let go when I noticed my health gauge was rapidly depleting though. Cool little touches like this pop up now and again and really make you appreciate the finer details in the game.

Hey rik - I hope your holding out ok, hope to finally catch up with you on Live when your back in action ;)

Behemoko

Elite Sage
Nov 14, 2006
Minnesota
[QUOTE="vorian, post: 0]You can free roam the city with or without police on with a max of 16 players - lots of mischief in this mode, reminds me of playing GTA games were you aren't doing any missions and just running amok with vehicles/weapons.[/QUOTE]

What mode is this!? That sounds awesome!

[QUOTE="F34R, post: 2780041]sounds extremely fun. I think I'll go ahead and break the seal on the 360 version, and play a little. +rep for such a descriptive reply.[/QUOTE]

Then how come I haven't seen you on yet.. :?

vorian

Superior Member
Sep 14, 2005
[QUOTE="Behemoko, post: 0]What mode is this!? That sounds awesome![/QUOTE]

Free Roam, I think it's the last selection in the gametypes list. You can set private or public servers here as well. Set up a public server with 2-3 of your mates and ambush anyone who logs in. Use the map to plot a GPS course to the airport, there are three assault helicopters there just waiting for an excuse!

Behemoko

Elite Sage
Nov 14, 2006
Minnesota
[QUOTE="vorian, post: 0]Free Roam, I think it's the last selection in the gametypes list. You can set private or public servers here as well. Set up a public server with 2-3 of your mates and ambush anyone who logs in. Use the map to plot a GPS course to the airport, there are three assault helicopters there just waiting for an excuse![/QUOTE]

Heh, thanks. :)

I obviously didn't search through the game types that long, lol.

J3ff3

Elite Guru
Dec 30, 2006
good, but SH!T interface. WHY do I have to go back to single player mode to EVERY time I change any game type. ******** IMO

bluvi69

Master Poster
Oct 6, 2005

thnx for your GTA4-online impression.

Apr 23, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
[QUOTE="hollywood, post: 0]for some reason, i couldn't get on last night...it kept saying "server error, returning to single player"...any thoughts?[/quote]

Sounds like Roman gave you a dodgy mobile, try and get a loan of his premium phone.

Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="UkHardcore, post: 0]Sounds like Roman gave you a dodgy mobile, try and get a loan of his premium phone.[/quote]

lol, well played sir. i enjoyed that.

sounds like the ps3 verison aswell and not the 360 one. Ive not had an issue with my 360 copy. heard the ps3 is sorted now though so gonna give it a blast. I bet no one talks on ps3 one though :'(

Ive been on xbox live version loads and it is amazing, not tried bomb the bass or hangman yet, anyone wanna give it a try tonight?? uk time! ie now lol

Dax

Superior Member
Aug 1, 2007
I played one game of team deathmatch. I got a big "meh" from it. I couldn't find any weapons, had no idea where I was, and had a hard time finding people. I will hold off judgment until I play a few more games.

I like the single player, though.

SwitchBlade

Dedicated Member
Oct 18, 2006
www.myspace.com
The co-op stuff is awesome, the adversarial modes should be more fun once people get the figured out. What I played last night was a bunch of people that had NO IDEA what was going on, I was very frustrated!

Redman_DK

Master Poster
Nov 11, 2005
I think it's great, especially if you play with some you know, then you can get a big laugh out of it.

But everytime we tried to play a co-op game we all got disconnected:(

A7

Supreme Veteran
Apr 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
[QUOTE="Dasimpse, post: 0]sounds like the ps3 verison aswell and not the 360 one. Ive not had an issue with my 360 copy. heard the ps3 is sorted now though so gonna give it a blast. I bet no one talks on ps3 one though :'(

Ive been on xbox live version loads and it is amazing, not tried bomb the bass or hangman yet, anyone wanna give it a try tonight?? uk time! ie now lol[/QUOTE]

Is it just me or is the PS3 version just not able to go online? I mean it won't even connect. Is it just me?

Live is like always smooth and working, I guess we pay to play. ;)

Leviticus

Dedicated Member
Jan 15, 2006
[QUOTE="A7MAD, post: 0]Is it just me or is the PS3 version just not able to go online? I mean it won't even connect. Is it just me?

Live is like always smooth and working, I guess we pay to play. ;)[/quote]

What are you talking about I was playing online last night on the ps3 with no problem. On the 29th I don't know what the deal was that day. Maybe GAMESPY sever couldn't handle GTAIV as that first thought. Stop blaming Sony/psn for things they weren't part of.

A7

Supreme Veteran
Apr 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
[QUOTE="Leviticus, post: 0]What are you talking about I was playing online last night on the ps3 with no problem. On the 29th I don't know what the deal was that day. Maybe GAMESPY sever couldn't handle GTAIV as that first thought. Stop blaming Sony/psn for things they weren't part of.[/QUOTE]

It hasn't let me connect, I tried it something like 1h 45m ago...

I try and it keeps failing.

Leviticus

Dedicated Member
Jan 15, 2006
[QUOTE="A7MAD, post: 0]It hasn't let me connect, I tried it something like 1h 45m ago...

I try and it keeps failing.[/quote]

Damn!! Man you're right. I cant get on as well, damn Gamespy sever really do suck hard.
Only If Sony handle the sever like they do Warhawk GTA online would be working.

Can't really be to upset when you thing able it.
Warhawk, MGO beta, COd4, RB6-1,2 all show issue with online.

Edit: I like and play all the game. Well COD4 I'm not to fond of.

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
[QUOTE="A7MAD, post: 0]It hasn't let me connect, I tried it something like 1h 45m ago...

I try and it keeps failing.[/quote]

It was working yesterday for me but it didn't work on release day. I was able to receive invites so I am guessing some people were able to connect. GTA4 is the first game that has disappointed me with online play on the PS3. Resistance worked fine, Warhawk, COD4, UT3 and MotorStorm never any major problems. Most games that I have that are online have worked fine, have let me connect....even Full Auto 2, although there was nobody else on it, lol.

Rockstar/Sony should have gone the Warhawk route. If people are still having problems. Last night I didn't have any.

@dasimpse - People do talk on the PS3 version.

Is it just me or is the PS3 version just not able to go online? I mean it won't even connect. Is it just me?

Live is like always smooth and working, I guess we pay to play.
That sounded very......I am not gonna say it. :lol:

EDIT: Let me say before people think otherwise, I meant you sound like Microsoft's PR person there....

But seriously, GTA4....is the only one to have this kind of problem on the PSN....and for a free service, it's impressive I would say and most people should be able to connect now..

S

Soldier 95B

[QUOTE="sainraja, post: 2787524]But seriously, GTA4....is the only one to have this kind of problem on the PSN...[/quote]

I and others have had similar issues with GT5 Prologue too :mad:

I am sure we will get a patch though.

Leviticus

Dedicated Member
Jan 15, 2006
For thoughts that aren't able to get online on the ps3 try reset you modem and router and restarting the ps3. When I did this I was back online.