I need help

berts08

Elite Guru
Nov 14, 2007
N.Ireland
To cut a long story short my girlfriends mum is mentally ill. She is on meds and has been diagnosed with a personality disorder. They had a fall out a few days ago and her mum has got up and cleared off. We believe she has left the country. There is two small kids involved, aged 4 and 6. Her mum can not cope by herself as she has seven other kids, the youngest being 9 and 13 that she couldn't look after. We believe her head has gone and is not in the right frame of mind and is making rash decisions. We called every day prior to her leaving, even up to 3 times a day to make sure her mum and kids where ok. We a very close to her brother and sister and they loved us very much.

We can't sleep and we are worried sick for the safety of the kids, I am not saying she would hurt them intentional but the way she is I wouldn't put it past her. Her mum has even attempted suicide a few times. She slit her wrist in front of us before.

We are going to social services on thurs but we have been many times before. One time the social worker said it was none of my girlfriends business. Has my girlfriend any rights to see her brother and sister? Can her mum stop us from seeing them? What questions will I put forward to social services? If we feel social services are not helping who can we turn to?

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Sorry to hear that man :(

I'm no Lawyer, but i'd imagine you'd have to make a case where she is seen to be unfit to be a caregiver. You'd need doctors to sign off on it, and at which point it would probably become a relatively big deal, i.e taken to court. Social services can't just swoop kids away without reason, especially from their own mother.

Ezekiel

Forum Sage
Apr 29, 2006
[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6380584]Sorry to hear that man :(

I'm no Lawyer, but i'd imagine you'd have to make a case where she is seen to be unfit to be a caregiver. You'd need doctors to sign off on it, and at which point it would probably become a relatively big deal, i.e taken to court. Social services can't just swoop kids away without reason, especially from their own mother.[/QUOTE]

I believe here in the U.S., there are exigent situation that would necessitate the children being removed from the home immediately. The mother not being around anymore would be one as that would constitute abandonment and self-mutilation or the perceivable threat of injury to one of the children is another exigent situation.

@ berts08. I highly suggest you start taking all appropriate steps to get these children removed from the home or getting the mother committed. Start recording EVERYTHING EVERYDAY associated with the situation. You may need to make preparations to get the mother involuntarily committed as she is a legitimate and imminent threat to herself and others.