I wanna like RPG's really I do,honest

kflashin

Dedicated Member
Apr 29, 2007
Alaska
So here is my dilemma,I was reading a recently very hated mag(PSM)and I was reading about a game called FALLOUT 3 and it intrigued me.The story seemed very good and the mechanics seemed top-notch,but I got to a section were it said turnbased gameplay and I was instantly turned off.I can not stand these kind of games for some reason,they just really annoy me but at the same time am extremley jealous of people who say they are 30+hours into a game.So my question is can you fine folks who frequent these forums direct me to a few games that could make me like turnbased RPG's or recommend some action style RPG's that are good

P.S. Is Kingdom Hearts action or turnbased because that one looks nice

james3579

Superior Member
Sep 30, 2004
Actually, Fallout 3 can be played as a FPS, in realtime, or you can switch it to turn based.

But if you are still interesting in trying some turn based RPGs, the best place to start is Chrono Trigger on SNES, or Final Fantasy 6(3 in US) on SNES/GBA.

Chrono Trigger is kinda of turn based, but much faster than traditional turn based RPGs.

Final Fantasy 6 is one of the greatest telling of a story in game history.

Dec 26, 2006
Kingdom heart 1 and 2 are both action RPGs. they are pretty good. i dont no any games really excpet Final Fantasy X. FFX is a great turn based game. i loved it alot.

kflashin

Dedicated Member
Apr 29, 2007
Alaska
[QUOTE="james3579, post: 0]Actually, Fallout 3 can be played as a FPS, in realtime, or you can switch it to turn based.

But if you are still interesting in trying some turn based RPGs, the best place to start is Chrono Trigger on SNES, or Final Fantasy 6(3 in US) on SNES/GBA.

Chrono Trigger is kinda of turn based, but much faster than traditional turn based RPGs.

Final Fantasy 6 is one of the greatest telling of a story in game history.[/quote]I have heard of chrono trigger but never tried it,guess I need to dust off the old snes and see if I can score a copy off of EBAY.Do you think I should start at the first final fantasy or can I get the jist of the story starting at part 3

Gbeav

Elite Member
Dec 31, 2005
[QUOTE="Sino, post: 0]Bioshock and Dead Rising, there you go.[/quote]

And how are those turn based rpg's. :suspect:

kflashin

Dedicated Member
Apr 29, 2007
Alaska
[QUOTE="Sino, post: 0]Bioshock and Dead Rising, there you go.[/quote]
WOW this guy obviously didn't read anything I wrote huh LOL

Alpha2

Elite Guru
Mar 3, 2007
Turn based RPGs can be a very different animal. Fallout as I understand it is more turn based in the way that MMORPGs are turn based, you act and then wait for your opponent to act. You're still allowed to move which gives the appearance of free action but you're still locked into a turn by turn action system that counts down a number dependent on your stats before each attack.

B

BobsRevenge

[QUOTE="kflashin, post: 0]So here is my dilemma,I was reading a recently very hated mag(PSM)and I was reading about a game called FALLOUT 3 and it intrigued me.The story seemed very good and the mechanics seemed top-notch,but I got to a section were it said turnbased gameplay and I was instantly turned off.I can not stand these kind of games for some reason,they just really annoy me but at the same time am extremley jealous of people who say they are 30+hours into a game.So my question is can you fine folks who frequent these forums direct me to a few games that could make me like turnbased RPG's or recommend some action style RPG's that are good

P.S. Is Kingdom Hearts action or turnbased because that one looks nice[/QUOTE]

Some turnbased RPGs that'll make you like it? Fallout 1 and 2.

kflashin

Dedicated Member
Apr 29, 2007
Alaska
[QUOTE="BobsRevenge, post: 0]Some turnbased RPGs that'll make you like it? Fallout 1 and 2.[/quote]
those are pc only correct

I hit the edit button and something happened I wasn't trying to double post

PS3fan15

Forum Elder
Oct 10, 2006
[QUOTE="kflashin, post: 0]So here is my dilemma,I was reading a recently very hated mag(PSM)and I was reading about a game called FALLOUT 3 and it intrigued me.The story seemed very good and the mechanics seemed top-notch,but I got to a section were it said turnbased gameplay and I was instantly turned off.I can not stand these kind of games for some reason,they just really annoy me but at the same time am extremley jealous of people who say they are 30+hours into a game.So my question is can you fine folks who frequent these forums direct me to a few games that could make me like turnbased RPG's or recommend some action style RPG's that are good

P.S. Is Kingdom Hearts action or turnbased because that one looks nice[/quote]

Kingdom Hearts is probably going to be the best action RPG you will have ever played..

and Folklore for the PS3 is not turnbased.. This game has instantly won me over.. when I played the US version of the demo..

only thing that is turning me away from it as of now.. which I find annoying is that there are no voices in the game.. there are only words!!! aghhh that is irritating!

I am in the same position you are!

B

BobsRevenge

[QUOTE="kflashin, post: 0]those are pc only correct

I hit the edit button and something happened I wasn't trying to double post[/QUOTE]

Yeah, those are for the PC only. They are also two of the best games ever released.

PS3fan15

Forum Elder
Oct 10, 2006
[QUOTE="kflashin, post: 0]I have never really understood how that is appealing to anyone,being locked down and having to just stand there and wait to get hit[/quote]

agreed.. it's not only boring as hell.. but it's irritating as hell as well..

you know why? Say in Final Fantasy 10. (I meant to say 10 originally not 7... dont kill me)

You want to take 2 steps.. What happens? Batlle.. out of battle... 2 steps.. battle again..

It is sooo irritating.. I dun want to get into a battle to run out of it again.. Unrealistic much?? Yes I would say say..

I loved how they made FFXII but I hated that it was still turnbased.

kflashin

Dedicated Member
Apr 29, 2007
Alaska
[QUOTE="PS3fan15, post: 0]Kingdom Hearts is probably going to be the best action RPG you will have ever played..

and Folklore for the PS3 is not turnbased.. This game has instantly won me over.. when I played the US version of the demo..

only thing that is turning me away from it as of now.. which I find annoying is that there are no voices in the game.. there are only words!!! aghhh that is irritating!

I am in the same position you are![/quote]
I don't mind reading as long as it doesn't go superfast

dude I just noticed you started a similar thread back in april and what's crazy is that the same game(Final Fantasy X) made me dislike turnbased RPG's

Jan 5, 2006
[QUOTE="kflashin, post: 0]I have never really understood how that is appealing to anyone,being locked down and having to just stand there and wait to get hit[/QUOTE]

There is a much larger strategy aspect to games like that. You prepare for enemy attacks, prepare for offensive attacks, and plan out your battle.

RPGs are also very great because the character building plays such a huge role, and is very fun. With character building and such, you can really begin getting DEEP into a game and make it go longer than the story lets you.

Then there are the weapons, armor, villages, new lands, exploration!

Xenogears is a great game to get your RPG fondness rolling. Beware of old graphics though,

Tibiquera

Superior Member
Oct 14, 2006
I recently entered the rpg world playing Final Fantasy X and it was a total blast. The first 10-20 hours were hard to endure, but after that it was an amazing game and absolutely worth the 60 hours I spent on it. FF XII is good too.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
If you want a good RPG, then try Star Ocean 3, or Tales of the Abyss. Both are great PS2 games that can give you way more than 30 hours of play.

Final Fantasy 12 is semi-turn based, but not at the same time. Each character just has an ATB gauge, so there is a limit between attacks. My game is at 40 or 60 hours and I'm still not closed to finishing my first play through. Though I'll admit that I've fall out of this game, not because it's a bad game or because it bores me. I just stopped playing it for a little bit one day, which became longer and longer. Now whenever I go to play I just can't get into it, and even worse have no idea where the hell I am, or what the hell I'm supposed to do.

Feli

Veteran
Mar 5, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I'm not sure if your problem is with RPGs or turnbased games. there are rpgs that aren't turn based. for instance, Star Ocean, if I remember right, is only very loosely turnbased. FFXII is indeed turnbased, but not in the traditional manner. kingdom hearts, I don't exactly remember, but I don't believe it was turnbased. and these are three excellent rpgs.

if your problem is with turnbased games, try Civilization.

Tibiquera

Superior Member
Oct 14, 2006
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 0]If you want a good RPG, then try Star Ocean 3, or Tales of the Abyss. Both are great PS2 games that can give you way more than 30 hours of play.

Final Fantasy 12 is semi-turn based, but not at the same time. Each character just has an ATB gauge, so there is a limit between attacks. My game is at 40 or 60 hours and I'm still not closed to finishing my first play through. Though I'll admit that I've fall out of this game, not because it's a bad game or because it bores me. I just stopped playing it for a little bit one day, which became longer and longer. Now whenever I go to play I just can't get into it, and even worse have no idea where the hell I am, or what the hell I'm supposed to do.[/quote]
If you need any help, just ask. I just finished the game and it's still pretty fresh in my memory.

Alpha2

Elite Guru
Mar 3, 2007
Rogue Galaxy or FF12 is probably a bit more what you're looking for. FF10 was a fast turnbased game but you were still locked to the frame work. These two games will allow you to move around a bit more and give you more to think about rather than watching people stand in a line waiting to attack. (also you can see your enemy before you fight rather than waiting for random battles to get in the way.)

But on the other end of the spectrum maybe you need to play games that amplify the REASON why you're standing around. the standard Japanese RPG is the way it is so you can choose your strategy of attack. Which skill you want to use, how much force is necessary to succeed, when you should heal a character, they're all things you think about in the time between attacks. So prehaps you might try a couple of Strategy RPGs like Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics where you;re given the chance to make several attacks at one time them wait for the computer to make it's several attacks, in this sense it's far more cerebral while still maintaining the practice of studying strategy and planning your moves ahead of time.

kflashin

Dedicated Member
Apr 29, 2007
Alaska
[QUOTE="Feli, post: 0]I'm not sure if your problem is with RPGs or turnbased games. there are rpgs that aren't turn based. for instance, Star Ocean, if I remember right, is only very loosely turnbased. FFXII is indeed turnbased, but not in the traditional manner. kingdom hearts, I don't exactly remember, but I don't believe it was turnbased. and these are three excellent rpgs.

if your problem is with turnbased games, try Civilization.[/quote]Ok just to give you an idea the last RPG type game I played all the way through was zelda on NES...yeah the gold one

PS3fan15

Forum Elder
Oct 10, 2006
[QUOTE="kflashin, post: 0]I don't mind reading as long as it doesn't go superfast

dude I just noticed you started a similar thread back in april and what's crazy is that the same game(Final Fantasy X) made me dislike turnbased RPG's[/quote]

lol.. yeah.. still haven't found a good rpg..

looking into xenosaga.. and I liked folklore gameplay.. so I might be getting that.

Bandersnatch

Dedicated Member
Jun 12, 2007
Knights of the Old Republic. Like Fallout 3, its also an American RPG and Kotor has a great story as well. It's not fully turn based though if I remember right.

Get a Shin Megami Tensei game for a great turned based experience, such as Digital Devil Saga. Seems like in the past few Final Fantasy games I would just space out during battles since they were so easy. In Digital Devil Saga you have to exploit enemy weaknesses while trying to prevent them from exploiting yours or you will get owned.

kflashin

Dedicated Member
Apr 29, 2007
Alaska
[QUOTE="PS3fan15, post: 0]lol.. yeah.. still haven't found a good rpg..

looking into xenosaga.. and I liked folklore gameplay.. so I might be getting that.[/quote]
there's a folklore demo out isn't there,maybe i'll give it a shot also.To all the people that have responded so far I appreciate it and you all have made a believer out of me that I can enjoy more than just FPS's.I would plus rep all of you but I don't think I can,but I will plus rep the best response's

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
Actually, if you can play NTSC-J on your PS2 via something like a mod chip or Swap Magic then I would advise in trying to get a copy of the Tales of Destiny remake for PS2. Yes it's in japanese but you can easily use a guide to figure out what to do. The battles are just amazing too.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J0N7bl5qpJI

Namco is retarded for not translating this game.

Sino

Super Elite
Apr 14, 2006
[QUOTE="kflashin, post: 0]So my question is can you fine folks who frequent these forums direct me to a few games that could make me like turnbased RPG's or recommend some action style RPG's that are good

[/QUOTE]

I did read what you typed. To me Bioshock is more RPG than FPS, I mean if you would call Oblivion an RPG, why woudn't you call Bioshock an RPG. I play dead rising like an RPG, level up first then get some of the skills then I can restart the game with those stats carried over( Like Breath of Fire V).

To decide a game belongs to what genre is entirely user-defined, just saying.

kflashin

Dedicated Member
Apr 29, 2007
Alaska
[QUOTE="Sino, post: 0]I did read what you typed. To me Bioshock is more RPG than FPS, I mean if you would call Oblivion an RPG, why woudn't you call Bioshock an RPG. I play dead rising like an RPG, level up first then get some of the skills then I can restart the game with those stats carried over( Like Breath of Fire V).

To decide a game belongs to what genre is entirely user-defined, just saying.[/quote]
Ok that's fair and I see were your coming from but,I also said a game with 30+hours of gameplay so I figured that would be specific enough for people to get the general idea of what I was implying.Thanks for commenting back I thought you were just being a smarta**