Immediate HELP required. Rep + V's for solution

Paul1967

Superior Member
Jan 4, 2008
At University and cannot for the life of me get my PS3 to connect to the net.

If I let it set the connections and don't type anything in, it sits at 'signing in' for a while then says Error you have been signed out of the Playstation netwrok. Although I haven't really signed in.

If I set all the connections myself like IP, DNS and the University Proxy the same problem again but I think its a different error code.

When I Test Connection, The IP Address succeds but the Internet Connection fails.

The MAC adress is fine.

I am using a wired connection.

Xbox 360's can get online easy enough here. :?

Please help lads.:mrgreen:

Dec 21, 2007
That's pretty odd. i remember some schools are cutting online gaming for the residence as it take too much bandwidth.

Have you contacted your university I.T?
Also make sure to turn off your xbox and disconnect it before you get on your ps3 just in case its taking up bandwidth too.

Paul1967

Superior Member
Jan 4, 2008
The IT don't have a clue, they are too 'busy' apparently. Nah its not the bandwidth, I'm pretty sure of that.

I dont have an Xbox just others do.

chesteria

Apprentice
May 8, 2008
does the mac address of the ps3 have to be added to an exception list of sorts?

Can you connect via wireless? You could try that and see if you can pick up other networks (unsecured) and if it connects, you know it isn't your ps3.

Well not the wireless portion of your ps3 anyways.

Im not sure what ports the ps3 needs, but whatever router you are connecting through, might just need them opened up.

B4yron

Apprentice
Sep 13, 2007
Don't know. So you can't connect to psn? Can you get online on internet with your ps3?
Otherwise connect your pc on the same cable you connect your ps3. Do "start/run". Type in "cmd". Type "ipconfig /all". Now connect your ps3 and be sure you fill everything in the same as on your pc: IP/SUBNET/DEFAULT GATEWAY/DNS SERVERS...

Normally if you do this it should work unless the mac adress of you pc is added to the router and your ps3's isn't.

pirulee

Super Elite
Jul 27, 2007
I think its a problem related to the router and proxy of you University. Go and talk with the person in charge, and ask him if they are using mac filtering or port filtering. Tell them that you bought your PS3 to talk live-chat with your parent thru the internet and that you can't connect it to the web.

The problem is with the IP, perhaps they aren't using dinamic IPS, they are using private IPs, and maybe they are also using mac filtering. So you will need the GateWay and DNS ips to configure the IP manually, and make your way to register your ps3's mac to the proxy/router or what ever of your university.