IMO it does not matter……

Redrider

Forum Guru
May 14, 2006
I think this would be a good time the end the debate about “how much better” the PS3 is to the 360 since this topic comes up in almost every thread:

IMO it does not matter……Why………I give my reasoning as follows:

· I owned a PS2 when the Xbox came out, but I did not buy one because “it was deemed as being only slightly better”. I was enjoying my PS2 at the time and there was no overwhelming reason to support another console (must have games, far “superior console”).

· To coincide with the comment above I would not expect most of the 360 owners to buy a PS3 because “it’s only slightly better” (again debatable, but this is probably the consensus of current 360 owners and many others).

· Consider how many people have NOT bought a 360 by now (MS sales figures) that have been holding out for the PS3 for multiple reasons. I would find it hard to believe the market for “next-gen" consoles is so small that it could not support more than the current 360 sales.

· Because of the following for the Sony console line (proven by PS2 sales, even today) the PS3 will launch with a possible 4M units before the new year (Sony will not make the same mistake MS made on the 360 launch, reasoning being the proven Sony manufacturing skills of products as compared to MS) and they offer a more powerful and diverse product.

· Sony is marketing the PS3 as a top of the line “cutting edge” product that will support the price point for the launch market. If MS tries to counter by offering “add-ons” to compete with the PS3 the price difference will become a “non issue”.

· With the current 3rd party support, exclusive games, more powerful and diverse console, and the Sony following expect Sony to ship and sell through as many as they can possibly make.

· There are several x-factors that may be announced soon about the PS3 that could put it over the top as far as what it can offer vs. the 360 (I will not mention them here to avoid the claim of speculation).

· The public has a very short attention span and elements like bad press, FUD, lack of final details, the price issue, and counter claims by competitors will all disappear when Sony releases complete launch details for the PS3 and starts their multi-media campaign to advertise the PS3 in the coming months. Like the 360 was the “hot item” last year, the PS3 will be that this year.

What do you think?

Aug 26, 2005
I think Sony needs to focus on how many PS3 units they can get out before the end of the year and how many cool exclusives they can get. In the end, it's all about the games.

jfiman14

Superior Member
Aug 11, 2006
www.myspace.com
I agree with you almost completely, though I don't think the 360's sales numbers are so low because people are waiting for the PS3. The 360 is still new and expensive, and it will be sometime before it acheives really high sales numbers.

Redrider

Forum Guru
May 14, 2006
[QUOTE="Perfect Sin, post: 0]I think Sony needs to focus on how many PS3 units they can get out before the end of the year and how many cool exclusives they can get. In the end, it's all about the games.[/quote]

What about 27 palyable demos at TGS?

I'm pretty sure they will ship more units for launch and the months to follow than the 360 did (that was a killer).

Redrider

Forum Guru
May 14, 2006
[QUOTE="jfiman14, post: 0]I agree with you almost completely, though I don't think the 360's sales numbers are so low because people are waiting for the PS3. The 360 is still new and expensive, and it will be sometime before it acheives really high sales numbers.[/quote]

Than you are saying that the market for these consoles is that small?

GameSpawn

Super Elite
Aug 28, 2006
It depends on your perspective, but from what I've seen that Sony has going for them I doesn't matter in my eyes.

They have a whole slew of things that alone can't do much for a console but in the right combination can perform miracles (well maybe not that extreme).

They have:
Developer Support (both 3rd and 1st party) in droves
Huge Fanbase
Undeniably better and more R&D and Production capabilities...They are an eletronics company first and forthmost
Huge Media Libraries (Movie & Music Studios)
Insight into where the market is heading (You have to admit Ken may dream big but his dreams have come true before)
Design (I just like the DS2 controller and the PS3 design while not "stackable" & kinda big does look sexy; can be considered an opinion)
Frankly a better QUALITY product (this may be an opinion, but note I said quality; that's a non-quantitave term)
Better Price Point vs the Product you get (note quality can factor into this)

There are other things I could list but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Aug 26, 2005
What about em'? I never said Sony doesn't have any exclusives nor games in general, just they need to focus on some titles and make them look appealing to the public. My hopes are that TGS will rock gamer's worlds in the fact that the games Sony demos will be very popular. Sony has to rely on a certain couple of games to carry the PS3 and make the $500-600 price point worth it.

Redrider

Forum Guru
May 14, 2006
[QUOTE="Perfect Sin, post: 0]What about em'? I never said Sony doesn't have any exclusives nor games in general, just they need to focus on some titles and make them look appealing to the public. My hopes are that TGS will rock gamer's worlds in the fact that the games Sony demos will be very popular. Sony has to rely on a certain couple of games to carry the PS3 and make the $500-600 price point worth it.[/quote]

Agreed, I was responding to your original post about focusing on games. To your point I agree that shear number of games will not sell the PS3, if they are so so or lack luster games.

Redrider

Forum Guru
May 14, 2006
[QUOTE="ShinMaruku, post: 0]The the true question is will their NDA allow such things to happen?[/quote]

If they expect to sell any units they need to lift the NDA on many things soon!

Zelmaz

Apprentice
Dec 23, 2005
personally i think ps3 will dominate mainly because of the launch titles.

think back to november last year was there any major 360 game stood out that you wanted to buy the system that day? well for me no but in the following months i was slowly swayed with oblivion but i didn't run out and get a 360 when it came out but the first time i played dead rising I knew i needed a 360 and soon.

So my point is the ps3 has like 10 titles that are very close to being done that i want to play.. badly so i will buy a ps3 on launch day if i have to sell my 360 and ps2's and my pc just to get it.

shadow26

Dedicated Member
Apr 24, 2006
maybe i should have read this post, but i didn't because one thread is never going to end the 360 vs. ps3 debate. Its almost natural instinct for many videogamers to side on a consoles side. this topic comes up in almost every thread because the 360 is the ps3's biggest competitor, and we all (i think) like playstation, and want it to do well.

Redrider

Forum Guru
May 14, 2006
[QUOTE="ShinMaruku, post: 0]Hopfully the ****storm of badpress awakended them.[/quote]

Actually what they have done (or not done) this summer is the correct thing to do. You don’t what to go on the defensive side fighting all these claims as it could give some sort of validity to these claims. Building too much “hype” too soon would remind everyone that you delayed your launch and would frustrate the consumer that more. Retail is a funny thing, because you need to develop demand and supply for the product you want to sell in sync to be successful.

Redrider

Forum Guru
May 14, 2006
[QUOTE="shadow26, post: 0]maybe i should have read this post, but i didn't because one thread is never going to end the 360 vs. ps3 debate. Its almost natural instinct for many videogamers to side on a consoles side. this topic comes up in almost every thread because the 360 is the ps3's biggest competitor, and we all (i think) like playstation, and want it to do well.[/quote]

Your probably right, but all the debates so far only talk about specs of the two consoles.

Redrider

Forum Guru
May 14, 2006
[QUOTE="Zelmaz, post: 543243]personally i think ps3 will dominate mainly because of the launch titles.

think back to november last year was there any major 360 game stood out that you wanted to buy the system that day? well for me no but in the following months i was slowly swayed with oblivion but i didn't run out and get a 360 when it came out but the first time i played dead rising I knew i needed a 360 and soon.

So my point is the ps3 has like 10 titles that are very close to being done that i want to play.. badly so i will buy a ps3 on launch day if i have to sell my 360 and ps2's and my pc just to get it.[/quote]

The 360 is a good machine and they are making headway on games for it. This post was never intended to flame the 360!;)

Redrider

Forum Guru
May 14, 2006
[QUOTE="ShinMaruku, post: 0]They could jsut have little releases of info rather than just none leading to overblown hype that they can't deal with.
Thye are walkign a very fine line here the human mind has a gift or a curse to make thigns mroe than they seem when bordem sets in. It can be either a success or a failure[/quote]

I think that from an early adaptor’s perspective you are correct. The general public does not follow things this closely and really has no clue yet about the PS3. The only thing they probably know right now is that it is “expensive”.

Zelmaz

Apprentice
Dec 23, 2005
I wasn't intentionally tryin to flame i was just sayin the games out for 360 aint really my type of games but everyone is different for instance i think red faction on ps2 was and will always be the best fps while most ppl like quake or halo or half-life. just my opinion dont hate me cause i like rock instead country if ya get the metaphor

Redrider

Forum Guru
May 14, 2006
[QUOTE="Zelmaz, post: 0]I wasn't intentionally tryin to flame i was just sayin the games out for 360 aint really my type of games but everyone is different for instance i think red faction on ps2 was and will always be the best fps while most ppl like quake or halo or half-life. just my opinion dont hate me cause i like rock instead country if ya get the metaphor[/quote]

Not at all, matter of fact Red Faction was / is one of my favorites too! IMO Quake is over-rated, to the point of graphics vs. game play. That said there are good 360 games out their and the number of "exclusives" may shrink for any / all consoles.

Zelmaz

Apprentice
Dec 23, 2005
thats what i was kinda trying to say, the only 360 games that peeked my interest is oblivion and dead rising well there might be others i havent really looked alot since i am a sony fanboy since ps1 and re2 :) but gears of war, fable 2, bioshock all look good and will be out within the next year.

D

DangerDog

The PS3 is not better than the 360, the 360 is not better than the PS3, it's a matter of preference, some people like only 360 some may like only PS3, same goes for the Wii as well, but a good majority of people getting a 360 or a PS3 are also getting a Wii.

ejm91

Superior Member
Jul 12, 2006
[QUOTE="Redrider, post: 543220]Than you are saying that the market for these consoles is that small?[/QUOTE]

Yes the market for next gen consoles is small at the present because the current gen consoles stil have a lot to offer and is avalible to a much larger market because of their low prices. The average Joe (90% of consumers) will not buy a $400-$600 console when they can get a console for $100 odd $ now will they, and the current gen consoles still have a few big games left to come such as GOW2. When support for these conosles has finished and next gen has become cheaper and has more games then it will have a big market. Right now they probably only appeal to people with too much money and people who consider themselves hardcore gamers.

I in no way expected the X360 or PS3 to out sell the last gen consoles for a while yet.

Tetsu

Forum Guru
May 6, 2006
[QUOTE="DangerDog, post: 0]The PS3 is not better than the 360, the 360 is not better than the PS3, it's a matter of preference, some people like only 360 some may like only PS3, same goes for the Wii as well, but a good majority of people getting a 360 or a PS3 are also getting a Wii.[/quote]
It's good to see you moderating your tone, soldier! Carry on. ;)

It would be nice to see some more people moderating their tones. It really shouldn't matter who has exclusives, or if someone prefers Forza to Gran Turismo, or Gears of War to Resistance. If someone's game looks awesome to them, yay. I have noticed that some from the other side haven't been around as much lately, making the atmosphere here a little more cheery.

I guess to do my part, I'm going to put on my flame retardent gloves and step around unsavory posts, unless someone is being a complete flametard and they haven't been given a sit down yet.

Trakdown

Superior Member
Jan 30, 2006
I don't do the system wars stuff- it's nonsense. It's politicizing video games, and to be honest, November's elections are going to give me more mudslinging than I could handle. I play video games to escape stuff like that, not to become further entrenched in it. I don't care what system is going to "win", or what is exclusive or not. I look at what I have in my game library and can easily deduce what system is right for me based off that. I'm sure others have done the same thing and decided what's right for them. Do we need to have constant flame wars over this stuff?

Seriously, I think it would behoove this forum to not give into the flamebait. Ignore it if you see it and you'll find this to be a much more enjoyable place.

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
the main problem is 360 fans
it ok saying its a matter of opinion which console has better games/graphic/exclusive.etc
but it don't work like that because they want it all
they except that PS3 is more powerful and with games it really does depend on if you like MGS/Halo etc
but they wont have that ether
its "360 is better", on everything!
oh well 2 months till PS3 is launched and I'll be doing what you meant to do with a great console with great games
ain't that what they should be doing?

ejm91

Superior Member
Jul 12, 2006
[QUOTE="TGO, post: 0]the main problem is 360 fans
it ok saying its a matter of opinion which console has better games/graphic/exclusive.etc
they except that PS3 is more powerful and with games it really does depend on if you like MGS/Halo etc
oh well 2 months till PS3 is launched and I'll be doing what you meant to do with a great console with great games
ain't that what they should be doing?[/QUOTE]

Thats only the real bad ones. I myself prefer the X360 games over PS3 games and I do know that the PS3 has a better CPU than X360's but I hate it when the PS3 fanboys say crap like "X360 will not be able to run that this", they need to realise that the difference is small between the CPU's and the GPU's are idetical (from what I'v heard and seen).

The difference this gen is not as big as it was last gen, the Xbox having 2.246536x as much power, they are very close this time and people are expecting to see a difference in graphics. The difference between the PS2 and Xbox was huge compared to the X360 and PS3 and we still only saw slightly better graphics.

Please not that the above IMHO and I'm not trying to start a flame war and that this is coming from a PS2 and Xbox/360 owner and future PS3 owner.

D

DangerDog

[QUOTE="TGO, post: 0]the main problem is 360 fans
ain't that what they should be doing?[/QUOTE]

You could easily say that about PS3 fans as well you know.

rick1991

Apprentice
May 28, 2006
The ps3 is a better console, hands down. The only issue is whether or not the devs can take full advantage of it and really push it to it's limits. Even still it is a matter of preference and I think that the matter of preference is already pre detirmined by brand loyalty. For example xbox halo lovers will stick with halo on the 360 because of loyalty. Likewise for MGS owners etc etc.